• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls [PSN] | The originator returns - time to die.

Mr_Elysia

slaughterking said:
Wah, didn't know characters could die permanently.

And it used to matter at one point even. I don't know if this "reloading" thing is new with this installment or not. I hadn't played a wizardry since V.

Mr_Elysia said:
And it used to matter at one point even. I don't know if this "reloading" thing is new with this installment or not. I hadn't played a wizardry since V.

i don't think it's new. i prefer the autosave approach for any kind of rpg as well. i guess that's asking for too much right now.

I don't even know what I'm doing anymore. I wish the quest descriptions would be a bit more specific and at least tell you what floor you should explore. There is nothing interesting to find and no really strong enemies to fight when you're just aimlessly scouting the dungeon, so I really have to rely on the quests to give me a purpose here. But I'm really just going deeper and deeper hoping I will eventually walk over the right square and find my objective, which doesn't feel like much of an accomplishment.
I've already been to what I think is the the second to last floor (9F) and have probably long passed whatever I'm looking for...

I still like the game, because it was only 15 bucks, but it has shortcomings in pretty much every aspect when it comes to first person dungeon crawlers.

Mr_Elysia

slaughterking said:
I don't even know what I'm doing anymore. I wish the quest descriptions would be a bit more specific and at least tell you what floor you should explore. There is nothing interesting to find and no really strong enemies to fight when you're just aimlessly scouting the dungeon, so I really have to rely on the quests to give me a purpose here. But I'm really just going deeper and deeper hoping I will eventually walk over the right square and find my objective, which doesn't feel like much of an accomplishment.
I've already been to what I think is the the second to last floor (9F) and have probably long passed whatever I'm looking for...

Yeah if you're finished your specific character quest and are presently in the Shiin line and have no idea what to do you'll need to
backtrack to...the third or fourth floor. And every leg of the quest then continues to the next floor or...sometimes two events on one floor. I'm sorry I can't remember which but I think seven.
I was stuck at this point for the longest time. Also, if playing a human male and you come to an impasse (character quest spoiler)
it's probably because you have to talk to the shopkeeper about your demon statue and either sell it to him or choose not to. You can't just keep it without talking to him and making a decision.
I was stuck there for a few hours too.

Oh, alright. Thank you.

I've already finished my character quest and am curently
searching the late King.
I guess I have to go back to the earlier floors then.

Best advice is to look up a guide.
There's a very handy one floating around(check gamefaqs forum) that tells you the coordinates for all quests.

Going about it the honest way will make you hate life since many of the locations of these particular NPCs are totally nonsensical.

Mr_Elysia

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Best advice is to look up a guide.
Going about it the honest way will make you hate life since many of the locations of these particular NPCs are totally nonsensical.

This is probably true, but it's advice I hate to give. Honestly though it's just a poorly thought through arc. You won't be hurting yourself because if you're already on the last floor, chances are, you've explored and exposed the areas you're supposed to be looking for.

This could be fixed by simply re-fogging the areas, even whole floors, where events you are scheduled to witness, but have not yet, take place. There seems to be much haste and little foresight to this game.

coldvein

Banned
i ain't looking at no guide!!!

ahem.

anyone know if there is any plan to release this game in physical form in the US, or is it a download only (boo) type thing?

japan got a double pack with this game and the follow-up, all dlc included. perhaps if this one does well enough we might have a shot at the same package? i haven't heard about concrete plans yet though.

So, I just beat the main campaign of the game. Overall, I found it to be quite enjoyable and very addicting. Obviously there is a lot of improvements that could be made and some items are really broken, but I think it was quite good for a PSN game.

Thoughs

-The music in the game is actually quite good, it's too bad you don't get to hear it very often.

-It would've been nice to see the hero characters get a little scene or something at the end to wrap up their story, they didn't really have enough presence IMO.
It was cool to see their full names during the credits, but why didn't they reveal anything like that in the game?
As I said before, I really love the character art in this game, and I would have liked to see the characters interact more.

-Grinding for loot and mapping floors is really addicting. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did.

This was my very first Wizardry game, so I didn't really have any expectations coming into it. I've still got a few things to do in the game, and I'm most likely going to get the DLC once it's released.

coldvein

Banned
do the NPCs i need to find in the dungeon move around or something? i had to deliver some shit to klauss, found him, died, turned the game off.. can't remember if i saved or not.. anyway it says the quest is still active, 'deliver x to klaus on 2 floor of shiin's dungeon" AND NOW FOR THE LIFE OF ME I CANNOT FIND HIM. :((((((

they don't move. if he isn't there anymore try finishing the quest in town by talking to the innkeeper, klaus in the palace or at the guild hall.

coldvein

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
they don't move. if he isn't there anymore try finishing the quest in town by talking to the innkeeper, klaus in the palace or at the guild hall.

ah, thanks! talked to the innkeeper and the quest was finished. thanks for the tip. i feel that i'll probably ask for many, many more before the game is over. if i ever get there.

I scanned through the rest of this topic and didn't see this posted. Someone on gamefaqs found a way to all but guarantee a 47 roll for your character either from the start or in the guild menu, and it takes less than 5 minutes. I've tried it myself and can vouch for it. If anyone is interested here is the procedure (copied and pasted with minor edits, and spoiler tags in case it's considered one):
1) Load your game, go into any other area.
2) Exit to title screen.
3) Wait -- do not press start yet -- and hold off until you get the two company logo screens.
4) After the cinematic starts, press start to skip it.
5) Once back to the title screen , hit start again, select your character, go to the guild (or create a new character), and start rolling your new character.
Thanks to Slystick on gamefaqs

To verify that it's working, you will roll a 26 after a few rolls. The sequence of numbers that follows, ending with the 47 is below:
Thanks to Z_Tous on gamefaqs

This made getting my party up and running TONS easier!

Just a quick note, some more DLC for the game was released yesterday but it's just the removal of the level cap.

But I was browsing the XSEED forum and an XSEED rep has said that all the DLC will be coming to North America eventually.

So some new DLC, The Red Shadow Of The Sister ($7.99) was released today. Anyone have any idea about what new stuff is included in this additional scenario?

cj_iwakura

Seems like an expansion to Shiin's Labyrinth.

I couldn't tell you what to expect, but...

wdlc.jpg

Helloooooo.

InVinoVeritas said:
I scanned through the rest of this topic and didn't see this posted. Someone on gamefaqs found a way to all but guarantee a 47 roll for your character

this is why i think rpg's like this need to ditch the roll-for-stats mechanic. you either go with a shitty roll and suffer or abuse reroll until you get max. broken system, adds no fun.

cj_iwakura

Making a Ninja at creation is nigh impossible, isn't it?

I want to use that ninja sword!

Even though my party is all G/N!

...:(

Just a heads up about a glitch in the game that stops you from completing one of the quests in the new "Red Sister" DLC expansion.

During the "Judgment of the Disturbers" quest, when you attempt to place the glyphs down on B2, they game may tell you that you've already completed that floor. But if you try to place glyphs on B3, you won't be able to. (This glitch is in the Japanese version too.)

Apparently, the only way to unglitch the quest is to ask Ironhand to uncurse one of the two cursed blades. (The Cursed Blade/Murakamo or the Cursed Shamshir/Great Shamshir.) You can repeat the Cursed Blade quest as many times as you want, so you may want to hold onto any cursed blades you might have not given to Ironhand yet. (Remember, this is the Cursed Blade quest, not just a standard curse lift from the main item store menu.)

Tom from XSEED has been made aware of the glitch and is looking into it, but until a patch is made (if it's made), this is the only known work around. The glitch doesn't happen to everyone, but it did happen to me, so I can vouch for it's existence.

And in other news, Acquire just announced this game for iOS, and apparently it's going to be free(?). It's Japan only at the moment though.

Augemitbutter said:
is the level cap removal not included in the new expansion?

yea, i just quote myself:

no, it's not. i tested it.

i got a muramasa finally. it dropped on BF4 in deep shiin and not a second too soon. if you're looking for hatamato's, i think it's best to go there. i've never seen so many of them.

anybody else getting his ass kicked on the last floor of deep shin? i managed to map most of it but i still die every 3rd fight. half my party is useless there.

i'm a sucker for old wizardy games..
will i fall in love with this one as well?
and how much is the total pain? (economic-wise) (gonna buy everything )
Thanks in advance

Finally beat the game completely.

100% Beastiary, Item Collection, Quest Log, Battle History, etc. (Except for the crazy time and enemy kill trophies, though I still might eventually chip away at those if I'm bored.)

Man the
Lv 99 Vamp Burst
is INSANE.

There were obviously some bugs and glitches here and there, (though that's more Acquire's issue) and it's definitely wasn't XSEED's best translation job, but I enjoyed it none the less. As my first Wizardry experience, it was pretty fun. I'd most likely buy the next PSN installment if XSEED were to bring it over. (Though hopefully this one will be more thoroughly bug checked.)

Rolf NB said:
So how much exactly does the 8$ DLC add? How many dungeon levels?
It's a totally separate 6 level dungeon. Mapping the upper floors though is a lot more work than usual, as floors 3, 4 & 5 are all connected and you need to travel through all of those levels multiple times to complete them.

And floor 6 is ridiculously difficult.

Rolf NB

That sounds like a solid value. Will probably get back in after I finish with Trinity: Souls Of Zill O'll ... whenever that may be.

ronito

So I broke down and finally got it.
This is my first modern Wizardry. Any tips for a noob? What kind of party should I start with? Anything?

ronito said:
This is my first modern Wizardry. Any tips for a noob? What kind of party should I start with? Anything?
They only party suggestion I'd give is that having a Bishop is essential.

sleepykyo

Gunloc said:
Just a heads up about a glitch in the game that stops you from completing one of the quests in the new "Red Sister" DLC expansion.

During the "Judgment of the Disturbers" quest, when you attempt to place the glyphs down on B2, they game may tell you that you've already completed that floor. But if you try to place glyphs on B3, you won't be able to. (This glitch is in the Japanese version too.)

Apparently, the only way to unglitch the quest is to ask Ironhand to uncurse one of the two cursed blades. (The Cursed Blade/Murakamo or the Cursed Shamshir/Great Shamshir.) You can repeat the Cursed Blade quest as many times as you want, so you may want to hold onto any cursed blades you might have not given to Ironhand yet. (Remember, this is the Cursed Blade quest, not just a standard curse lift from the main item store menu.)

Tom from XSEED has been made aware of the glitch and is looking into it, but until a patch is made (if it's made), this is the only known work around. The glitch doesn't happen to everyone, but it did happen to me, so I can vouch for it's existence.

And in other news, Acquire just announced this game for iOS, and apparently it's going to be free(?). It's Japan only at the moment though.
So that's what happened . Does the dlc have more closure than the normal endings?

sleepykyo said:
So that's what happened . Does the dlc have more closure than the normal endings?
Not really, it doesn't really have an "ending". (There's a conclusion to the DLC story, but no credits.)

But the story of the DLC is actually a lot more present throughout the campaign, with a lot more events occurring inside the dungeon. (A lot of them are quite creepy too, adding to the atmosphere.)

And even though the new dungeon is shorter than the other two, (6 floors, as opposed to 10) it's much harder. The final floor is ridiculously hard and the final boss is insane.

Arcblade

Banned
ronito said:

What gunloc said.

Except also include either a thief or a ninja.

Which means if you want to go all good (without manipulating the two-party oversight), then you need to roll a thief at first.

You'll be able to find a way to change the thief to a more capable killing machine i.e. ninja later in the game - but you ABSOLUTELY need a trap/lock opener along.

This game is reall good. Terrific value for the $15 I paid for it. Currently "stuck" on Trials B10F (there's nothing there even after the "point of no return") and on Shiin B10F (just fucking around trying to map it).

My party is Lord, 2x Samurai, Ninja, 2x Bishops. Everybody except the Bishops have around 1000 HP, they have 500 HP.

I have found no fancy weapons (best one is Holy Mace and The Mauler) and my Samurais SUCK ASS with their Ice & Crystal Swords. I'm good on Armors though with Black Attire, Holy Armor, Thief Plate and tons of Dragon Kites etc.

I even mapped a part of Deep B1F with its ridiculous 30+ level enemies that counter your every attack with Magnificent Counter (Jiins).

Love this game and cannot wait for XSEED to localize the next installment.

Wizardry is back!

QisTopTier said:
I love hard punishing make me rage RPG type stuff. Should I pick this up? :D
It's pretty old school. It doesn't start off that difficult if you are playing smartly, but the later levels can be pretty tough.

The DLC dungeons are much harder than the main game though.

whoa, i got a mjolnir while farming, i didn't even know that weapon existed, although it's weird to equip a ninja with it, since i don't have a priest anymore.

on another note: my last quest in deep shiin is bugged and now i have to try and unbug it, sigh.

Augemitbutter said:
whoa, i got a mjolnir while farming, i didn't even know that weapon existed, although it's weird to equip a ninja with it, since i don't have a priest anymore.

on another note: my last quest in deep shiin is bugged and now i have to try and unbug it, sigh.
Yeah, it's annoying.

Do you have any cursed weapons handy?

Got Excalibur from the last boss, nice.

How do I trigger (start) the Legendary Wine quest for the Trials DLC? I did the Pori Pori Mushroom one but cannot find the Boss on Trials B10F since I need to trigger him via Legendary Wine...

Is it even triggerable? Or should I go to its location in Shiin and select "Search"?

Top Bottom