• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls [PSN] | The originator returns - time to die.

i don't get it...

should i hate because he got the blade from the first hatamoto he met? i rather hate him for playing the dlc right now, honestly ;)

Mr_Elysia

Augemitbutter said:
i don't get it...

i rather hate him for playing the dlc right now, honestly ;)

Technically you're right in that the game is dlc in itself. But Shiin's eighth floor comes with the vanilla package.

So, now I'm on what I think is my main (M dwarf) character quest.
Pori Pori Mushrooms? The quest description simply says "deep in the Dungeon of Trials" with no hint as to which floor. I have up to 7F mapped, currently. Can I expect it to be deeper than that, or is there going to be some backtracking in order?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
DimmuBurgerKing said:
So, now I'm on what I think is my main (M dwarf) character quest.
Pori Pori Mushrooms? The quest description simply says "deep in the Dungeon of Trials" with no hint as to which floor. I have up to 7F mapped, currently. Can I expect it to be deeper than that, or is there going to be some backtracking in order?

That's not a main quest. It's a DLC quest.

Seraphis Cain said:
That's not a main quest. It's a DLC quest.

Thanks, I figured it out. Now I'm stuck on 7F
with a gigantic hydra that keeps kicking my ~level 23 party's asses.
Time to move on to the next couple of floors, I think.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
DimmuBurgerKing said:
Thanks, I figured it out. Now I'm stuck on 7F
with a gigantic hydra that keeps kicking my ~level 23 party's asses.
Time to move on to the next couple of floors, I think.

Man. I really must be overleveled. That thing did no damage to me and I killed it in about two rounds. =/ Lv. ~34 here.

Mr_Elysia

You are a bit on the high side but level ups stopped really mattering for you a long time ago. Seems to me something that will one-shot you at twenty five will one-shot you at thirty. Party make-up is pretty important, I finished with a Lord, Fighter, Samurai in front and Thief, Mage, Priest in the back row. The priest ended up redundant and the mage near useless. Though free warp and emergency exit are can't-live-without spells.

But what it all really comes down to is gear. One lucky drop can trivialize the game while the lack thereof can make the end-game unapproachable.

I have a Lord, Samurai, Thief in front and a Mage, Bishop, and Priest in the back. It definitely sounds like my gear is a bit lacking. Lord has Dragon Slayer and Master Plate. Samurai has a Great Sword and standard Plate Mail, while the Thief still has a Boomerang and some Leather Armor. :p Might do some farming later. Man, this game is addictive.

Edit: Wow! Started the game up, ran into some basilisks, and they happened to drop Odin Sword. Hydra is dead, to boot! Now to upgrade my Samurai's crap.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Augemitbutter said:
the game is more fun when you have low-medium equipment. once you're getting the high end stuff, it kind of loses some of its magic.

I'm sure the magic will return once we get Deeper Shiin. There's gotta be a reason the Deeper Shiin DLC raises the level cap to 99, after all. :D

Is there really anything that can be done to mix things up? It seems most likely that all monsters will do is hit really hard but that means little when players will just happen across some awesome pieces of equipment.

Honestly I think the best chance of that happening is in mixing up the dungeon design. One thing that always stands out to me in dungeon crawlers is the dungeon itself. It's supposed to break your will through numerous traps, enemy encounters, and just a general feel of hopelessness so that unless you can grit your teeth and bear through bad situations you'll never make any progress. Failing that at least attempt to make some puzzles and/or some dungeons that are difficult to figure out.

Free Warp and the copious elevators/shortcuts really throw that out the window though.

I dunno...seems like with the current way the game is setup there would have to be some absolutely dick ways of making things hard on the player. I'm thinking entire floors made up of anti-warp/anti-magic zones, attacks that can actually break the player's equipment, and so on.

Mr_Elysia

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Is there really anything that can be done to mix things up? It seems most likely that all monsters will do is hit really hard but that means little when players will just happen across some awesome pieces of equipment.

Honestly I think the best chance of that happening is in mixing up the dungeon design. One thing that always stands out to me in dungeon crawlers is the dungeon itself. It's supposed to break your will through numerous traps, enemy encounters, and just a general feel of hopelessness so that unless you can grit your teeth and bear through bad situations you'll never make any progress. Failing that at least attempt to make some puzzles and/or some dungeons that are difficult to figure out.

Free Warp and the copious elevators/shortcuts really throw that out the window though.

I dunno...seems like with the current way the game is setup there would have to be some absolutely dick ways of making things hard on the player. I'm thinking entire floors made up of anti-warp/anti-magic zones, attacks that can actually break the player's equipment, and so on.

Yep. I remember investing so many hours into Wizardry: Knight of Diamonds and Wizardry V. I know this isn't supposed to be those games. But it's really not those games. Save scumming, poor itemization, and simple dungeon design kind of kills this. I do understand it from their perspective though as the point of entry being a brick wall that you're forced to bash your head through doesn't appeal to many nowadays. Conversely I doubt many non-wizardry fans know or care about it's existence in the first place so their perspective is a bit skewed. Ah well, it was worth the price of admission anyways and I will be buying the further depths when they are made available.

I've got a couple questions.

Is there anyway to fight Crusaders without engaging the ones with no malice? I don't really want to fight those ones, but I want to complete my Monster Album.

Also, my Samurai is missing one of her level 6 Mage spells. (Thunder Burst) She has two for every other level, even the ones above it, but for some reason she only has one for that particular level. There's no way to permanently lose spells, is there?

Mr_Elysia

No, you'll have to attack without provocation. I'd say wait until you're near done the game anyways as there is another denizen a bit deeper that you'll have to do likewise with. Unless you don't have a lord or don't mind farming non-hostile encounter's afterwards to get you back to a more neutral or good leaning.

As for the spell conundrum I'm afraid I'm at a loss. I had many enemies drain Spell Points on hit but those were just points and easily recovered. I don't know what could be causing that other than a glitch. De-leveling doesn't drain spells that I've ever seen and I don't think you are supposed to be able to gain the next level spells before getting the correct ones in your current tier. I do know you can get spell points in tiers you have no spells in but that's not the issue here.

I can tell you though that you won't miss that spell. Once you get a good blade for your samurai you'll forget they have the potential to use magic. I think I only ever used NAL-Burst with mine anyways.

Mr_Elysia said:
No, you'll have to attack without provocation. I'd say wait until you're near done the game anyways as there is another denizen a bit deeper that you'll have to do likewise with. Unless you don't have a lord or don't mind farming non-hostile encounter's afterwards to get you back to a more neutral or good leaning.
Hmmm, that's unfortunate.

Mr_Elysia said:
As for the spell conundrum I'm afraid I'm at a loss. I had many enemies drain Spell Points on hit but those were just points and easily recovered. I don't know what could be causing that other than a glitch. De-leveling doesn't drain spells that I've ever seen and I don't think you are supposed to be able to gain the next level spells before getting the correct ones in your current tier. I do know you can get spell points in tiers you have no spells in but that's not the issue here.

I can tell you though that you won't miss that spell. Once you get a good blade for your samurai you'll forget they have the potential to use magic. I think I only ever used NAL-Burst with mine anyways.
I'm hoping it's just a weird spell set up. Apparently, Samurai's should have all their spells with 9 casts each by Lv24, so I'll keep going for now hoping she'll get it eventually.

I really hope it's not a glitch, I'd hate to have to start a new character, as she's one of my favorite party members. :/

Edit: Hurray, she just learned it! (Though I have to re-roll the level because the stats sucked.) At least I know it's not glitched. :)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just had my first encounter with the final boss.

To sum it up:

FoFz9.jpg

EDIT: Beat him. Odd, this time he hardly even touched me. Ah well.

Also, watching the credits, it seems the game's main theme was written by Kenji Ito. Fuck yeah.

Question about Chris's (the human male's) Hero Quest:

Is their any point/benefit to keeping the Daemon Statue? The amount Ironhand offers for it is pretty paltry at this point, and deciding to keep the statue still makes the quest finished chime play.

Does it have any other use? I'm thinking of keeping it just for the sake of collecting, but Chris mentioned during the story that he's interested in the money. What to do...

Gunloc said:
Question about Chris's (the human male's) Hero Quest:

Is their any point/benefit to keeping the Daemon Statue? The amount Ironhand offers for it is pretty paltry at this point, and deciding to keep the statue still makes the quest finished chime play.

Does it have any other use? I'm thinking of keeping it just for the sake of collecting, but Chris mentioned during the story that he's interested in the money. What to do...

i kept mine.

but sold it hours later because i couldn't find any use for it.

Mr_Elysia

I, too, retained mine.
Statues
in previous Wizardry games had sometimes undisclosed purposes. Now that may not be the case in this one, and I do doubt it is, but I'm keeping mine.

Edit:Spoiler tagged item.

Found a small glitch in the game, it can be exploited during Chris's Hero Quest.

Obviously this is a glitch in the game, and I'm unaware of if it causes any issues further along in the game, so attempt at your own risk.

You can actually sell the Daemon Statue to Ironhand and keep it at the same time. If you put the statue is the warehouse before talking to Ironhand, you can still "sell" it to him. You'll get the money, but the statue will still be in the warehouse. You can do this for both his first offer of 3,000GP or his second offer of 1,000GP.

But the reward isn't really worth it, so unless you really want both the statue and the 3,000/1,000GP, I'd avoid attempting it.

In other news, I've got an ?Armor that my Lv23 Bishop cannot appraise for the life of her. And Ironhand wants a ton of money to do the appraisal. I'm gonna wait until my Bishop can handle it, I hope it turns out to be something good. XD

either keep trying while fighting and relegate your bishop to a magic wall machine, or if you can spare the money try the temple and cure the frustration out of his mug whenever needed.

i like hard to appraise items because you know something good will show up soon.

Augemitbutter said:
either keep trying while fighting and relegate your bishop to a magic wall machine, or if you can spare the money try the temple and cure the frustration out of his mug whenever needed.

i like hard to appraise items because you know something good will show up soon.
I tried the temple/inn method for a while, but no go. I'm just gonna keep trying after every level up.

She just got a holy mace though, so she'll have plenty of monster bashing to do in the meantime. :)

I'm going to assume you just grabbed a Mithril Plate.
Neither of my Bishops could identify it for anything. Just went ahead and ate the 500,000.

Anyway beat the game. I gave up trying to get anything decent for my Samurai & Fighter so I just turned one of them into a Lord and tossed them the second Odin Sword I had.

Went to the boss. He did his ultimate attack...I lost three people. Thankfully he didn't pull that crap off again for the rest of the fight so one Bishop could throw some walls out while the other could revive everyone. Once everyone was 100% he went down like a crackwhore for crack.

Working on the review now.

Sneak peek: Thumbs down.

Mr_Elysia

PepsimanVsJoe said:

Fair review. I might have given it that extra half star for the even two. It wasn't bad for my money just very disappointing.

Review said:
...Then again, you might also find yourself loving this game because the first rare monster you ran into dropped one of the most powerful swords, so now you can steamroll everything in the game. Of course, don't be surprised then when you're just as bored and frustrated as I but for an entirely different reason.

Hey I told you not to hate! And I didn't love the game, I had the same problems with it as you did for the most part. I don't like the RNG solution. Hell I never found enough reagents to finish that one Trials quest. Yet my experience was quickly trivialized by that sword drop. Not that I minded burning through the remainder of the game as by that point I had long since realized this wasn't the Wizardry I knew and loved.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Double-post and a bump from the dead!

Believe me when I say I am not proud of doing negative reviews.
http://www.the-nextlevel.com/review/psn/wizardry-labyrinth-of-lost-souls/
Yeah, this game is a real disappointment. It was obvious from the get go that it's not very good, yet I still played it far more than I should have. It's insultingly easy and lacking character. The Dark Spire's wireframe mode has more aesthetic appeal than this game does, cuz at least it has music. It's also a far better Wizardry game. This just feels like a platform to sell DLC.

Mr_Elysia said:
Hey I told you not to hate! And I didn't love the game, I had the same problems with it as you did for the most part. I don't like the RNG solution. Hell I never found enough reagents to finish that one Trials quest. Yet my experience was quickly trivialized by that sword drop. Not that I minded burning through the remainder of the game as by that point I had long since realized this wasn't the Wizardry I knew and loved.

It's just like I said then. Bored and Frustrated for an entirely different reason. Whatever good feelings that come from getting an awesome drop are short-lived.
Ultimately whether or not the RNG favors you has little to do with the quality of the game, just your level of tolerance for it.

I'm not even sure what the even two stars would go towards. There's the monster designs which are pretty sweet and......? The entire lack of a proper risk/reward system is one of the unforgivable problems in my book. It's like..."Why even try? You won't even get the satisfaction of a job well done."

cj_iwakura

It's only a $15. I think the dungeons and combat are worth at least that much. It's not the greatest dungeon crawler ever, but it's hardly bad.

Mr_Elysia

You know, you might be right, two stars would be given out of nostalgia and hope. Even so, recognizing that, I find it hard to justify giving it less than two. It wasted some time and I didn't hate it.

lljride

I enjoyed it quite a bit at first, but after about 30 hours when all the floors were mapped and I started to get near the end it really started to hit me how little there was to the game. Disappointing, but still fun overall and like you said cj, $15..not too bad.

Despite that, I'm still playing and determined to get the platinum. I'm at ~70 hours and ~20k enemies, doing everything manually since I don't want to buy a turbo controller just for trophies (I'm not that much of a whore).

i like the -no bullshit- approach this game offers. you spend all your time on aspects that matter: getting ready in town, exploring dungeons and fighting monsters. every building in town is essential, so you won't spend time wasting in menus that don't matter. conversations with npc are very short as well, there is basically no hold-up. exploring the dungeons and fighting your way through them goes quick and without lagging menus or unnecessary animation and camera work. the only load times you'll notice are those when you enter a dungeon, two-three seconds at best and that's it. i don't remember the last time i got such a smooth gaming experience in today's market.

sure the loot tables are pretty random. you can get a lucky drop and break the game midway or you can get okay loot like myself and have a balanced experience. i'd say the quest design is the worst this game has to offer. once you explore too far ahead, you'll most probably will have trouble to find location specific quests on mapped floors.

regardless, this is the game i was waiting for, straight to the point. less waiting, more gaming.

I've put some hours into the game today and it's not bad. Truly no Etrian Odyssey, but mechanic-wise it seems solid for the most part.
I wish the presentation was just a little more exciting, though. I'm not expecting a Yuzo Koshiro here, but the music is just way too bland. They should not have taken "dungeon" crawler so literal either and the enemy artworks could use a little more personality.
The menus are a little too inconvenient, too.

Otherwise it appears like a game I could play for some hours. 15$ seems like a good price for what it is.

Oh, and fuck me for not buying a map when I entered the dungeon for the first time.

coldvein

Banned
so, just got this game, played an hour or so.. died a few times.. yeah. berb flemkin's quest is not progressing smoothly. so i've got the first quest, killing kobolds and such.. supposed to get some of their rusty daggers, but they don't seem to be dropping any. what gives?

they will drop, just keep killing normal kobolds. if you don't have any luck, try the first floor of shiin's dungeon. i had more luck there.

coldvein

Banned
berb flemkin has slain many, many kobolds, gained much strength and magical prowess, and found no rusty daggers in the prcoess. TIME TO CALL IT A NIGHT.

coldvein

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
That's odd.

No ?Weapons dropped?

ah, so that's them! i got two ?weapons, but they were 7k to get appraised or whateva.. assumed it wasn't them. just realized i found a third one that was only 25 or something, and IT WASS ONE OF THE DAGGERS! MY QUEST CONTINUES!

edit: i love how whenever i bump into a wall the whole party groans/moans/whimpers. it's like one of my japanese animes.

coldvein said:
ah, so that's them! i got two ?weapons, but they were 7k to get appraised or whateva.. assumed it wasn't them. just realized i found a third one that was only 25 or something, and IT WASS ONE OF THE DAGGERS! MY QUEST CONTINUES!
If you want to save some cash you could get a bishop to appraise the unknown items for you instead of taking them to the shopkeeper.

Found a Holy Mace with ~100-500 DMG. My best weapon before that was not even one fifth of that. There are no requirements to equip that thing either. Seems just a little overpowered. :I

Top Bottom