• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otome Community Thread: Happiness isn't a limited commodity, my love is boundless!

Shizuka

Nothing conclusive, but Uta no Prince-Sama Repeat is on NISA's radar.

Make it happen NISA, pls.

tumblr_meudjkOvw71qbzqexo1_r1_500.gif

Ekai

Sorry don't want to change subjects but I've recently found a love for otome games and one of the only Otome I've played has been Sweet Fuse/ Which I loved for the most part. And Hatoful Boyfriend. : p
What would be a good otome to try next?

Saphirax

Sorry don't want to change subjects but I've recently found a love for otome games and one of the only Otome I've played has been Sweet Fuse/ Which I loved for the most part. And Hatoful Boyfriend. : p
What would be a good otome to try next?

Code:Realize...and Hakuouki!

Saphirax

I hope that mecha otome actually has a good story.

But is that just platitudes or is UtaPri genuinely in their radar? Although the fact that they actually commented on this when they haven't in the other otome/VN threads gives me hope.

Regardless, it'll be a long time until we find out. We'll have to see how Psycho-Pass does for them and if it sells well we'll get more VNs, and in turn (possibly) otome games.

Thank you for the suggestions. Any specific reasons why you suggest those?
Also, I don't have a vita so I can't play Code:Realize. Would still want to hear why it's suggested though.

Personally, I rank Code:Realize and Hakuouki as the best otome games available in English. SF is good and a decent first entry in the otome genre. Both C:R and Hakuouki are much longer games and with more focus on the characters and the story.

The romances takes longer to get going and a common complaint is that Hakuouki doesn't have enough of it, but it's the characters and the story that keep you interested. C:R is steampunk London with crazy, literary characters and an intriguing premise. Hakuouki's plot is deeply rooted into the historical struggles of the Shinsengumi with a sprinkle of supernatural elements.

If you're not interested about the samurai/Shinsengumi, you may find Hakuouki to be boring.

You should still give it a try because it's an amazing game. :p

Shizuka

Hakuoki is a love it or hate it game. Most people I know
(myself included)
hate it, even if it has its redeeming features. As a suggestion, I'd go with something a little more popular, like Amnesia
even if the game is not that great.

jzbluz

My favorite part of Hakuoki was the fandisc in the ps3 version, otherwise I found it a bit boring after awhile. I did like it better than Amnesia.

jzbluz

The odds of us getting this here are close to 0, aren't they? :(

Let's bug Atlus to localize it since they did one of the Kenka Bancho games. But seriously, how things stand now we probably got more chances of getting UtaPri than this.

They haven't been localizing a Kenka Bancho since the PSP game but who knows? It should be way less expensive.

It should also sell way less.

jzbluz

Otome games seems to be doing fine. It should be a less risky project overall.

And I say that it would probably be more risky than a normal Kenka Bancho game, since it probably has more to translate and it's a smaller niche. So far Aksys, MG, and IFI are willing to take that risk with the later one being a bit more reluctant, but that's it. Aksys will probably stick to Otomate games, and MG only does PC games. XSEED/NISA have expressed interested in non-Idea Factory otome games, but they haven't followed through yet so we can't rely on them.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It ain't lookin' good for Beastmaster and Prince :/

Well it didn't really from the start. Even in the topic made for it, every update, everything they did was dumb, disorganized, and I have NEVER seen such a clueless company in my whole life. Over 300 comments... all asking questions that barely got answered, and suggestions of HOW to properly run a Kickstarter.

They basically just dumped this online and hoped that it would be a success. Doesn't work like that. With SUCH little communication and enthusiasm from the actual company, it's hard to tell if it was on the west side or the Japanese side that made things such a disaster :/ It's too bad too, because I really wanted to check it out... I still feel like it will just show up one day on Steam or something anyways.

Westraid

Not surprised that KS failed, what a trainwreck that was. Still a shame though.

Happy about Ozmafia!! It even supports my operating system so I'm over the moon!

Saphirax

Wow, they responded. I've asked KT about their otome games several times and they have never responded. Now to see if otome fans can mobilize enough to make a difference.

KT America...or Europe? :p

I doubt KT would be interested in bringing their otome games over. It's a shame :(.

jzbluz

KT America...or Europe? :p

I doubt KT would be interested in bringing their otome games over. It's a shame :(.

Both. KT Europe was even answering questions the other day, but my question didn't get answered supposedly because I was a bit late, and no one else asked about their otome games.

Saphirax

Both. KT Europe was even answering questions the other day, but my question didn't get answered supposedly because I was a bit late, and no one else asked about their otome games.

Ah. I don't see a lot of people wanting their otome games though. Personally, I'm up for most otome games, but some people are picky and stick with the more well known games.

I don't use Twitter, but maybe if more people asked they'd answer.

Kirie

Damn, I would have been all over joining in on asking them about their otome games. I wish I would have known they were answering questions. ;_;

jzbluz

Ah. I don't see a lot of people wanting their otome games though. Personally, I'm up for most otome games, but some people are picky and stick with the more well known games.

I don't use Twitter, but maybe if more people asked they'd answer.

Which is weird, because their games are still pretty popular in Japan, and we did get some of the manga and anime. But then, not many of the otome importers review their games and the anime was awhile ago.

Shizuka

Do you think that's more worth my time than just trying something like Sweet Fuse?

If it's about money, they're almost the same price during this sale. If it's about the story, while they have different premises, they both have alluring stories for beginners or people not interested in the romance aspect of the genre. I still put C:R above SF if only because the different endings build a better narrative overall and everything makes sense, even if it's all established characters based on existing stories.

If it's about money, they're almost the same price during this sale. If it's about the story, while they have different premises, they both have alluring stories for beginners or people not interested in the romance aspect of the genre. I still put C:R above SF if only because the different endings build a better narrative overall and everything makes sense, even if it's all established characters based on existing stories.
I'm a little worried about getting bored with not enough to "do" as it were. Hm, I'll have to think on it a bit I guess.

QaaQer

I'm a little worried about getting bored with not enough to "do" as it were. Hm, I'll have to think on it a bit I guess.

If you get into the story, it will pull you along like it did me. I bought it on a whim and was surprised how much I got into it. I don't want to oversell it though because part of the reason I enjoyed it was that I didn't have any expectations and knew nothing about it. Having people tell me something is great/amazing/best thing ever is a good way to ensure I get disappointed. I will say I liked Code:Realize enough to platinum it.

Do you think that's more worth my time than just trying something like Sweet Fuse?

Honestly it's hard to say, they're both so different. I personally still rank Sweet Fuse as my #1 but it's all gonna depend on what you like in a story. As far as being bored without enough to "do"... in both the stories play out rather differently though I feel like CR has a lot more repeated bits in the beginning that you have to sit through every time.

Westraid

No idea if this was already known because after Reine des 40 Bad Endings I was 300% done with the genre and pretended it no longer existed for two months, buttttttttt....

logo.png

The Men of Yoshiwara apparently got a sequel, The Men of Yoshiwara: Ohgiya, which will be out on Steam this month.
There's a mobile version of it, but from what I've quickly read here and there it's only available through Rakuten and some hassle, but it's already in English.
They have no releasedate for App and Google Play yet at this time (but it will happen).

Doesn't seem to be voiced though, sadly. It had voices on the PSV version.

I only started to play the first one on my friends laptop yesterday (because my PC is apparently also too old to play VN on now fml).
It feels kind of like a typical mobile otoge, with some translation errors, few and simple backgrounds and repeating elevator music, but the character and cg art is nice, the story is not bad and it did manage to keep me up the greater part of the night to complete a route.

So yeah, just a heads up I guess. I'm sure the masses are more looking forward to Ozmafia but since there's not that many otoge in English I thought I'd post. ovo

jzbluz

header.jpg

There's also Destiny's Princess from the same publisher, which is 40% off until April 12. The writer is apparently pretty good so I've seen some hype for the game. I haven't really liked anything by that publisher yet, so I'm skipping it.

Top Bottom