• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otome Community Thread: Happiness isn't a limited commodity, my love is boundless!

Kirie

Are people still wanting me to make the OT for Ozmafia tomorrow? Or are we just using this thread because it barely gets any conversation?

I just don't want to make one and then nobody use it, lol.

Ephidel

I'm kind of tempted by Men of Yoshiwara: Kikuya. Does anyone have anything good (or bad) to say that might sway me one way or the other? :)

hoggert

Speaking of, does anyone know if this was ever released on PC/Steam? I have both versions but haven't heard any news on it since, and I really want to check the route out!
I don't think so; I was looking around earlier this year around the time I finally got around to playing HolidayStar and wasn't able to find much so just ended up watching spoilers.

eefara

Speaking of, does anyone know if this was ever released on PC/Steam? I have both versions but haven't heard any news on it since, and I really want to check the route out!

Last I heard the developer was working on a PC version on her own time, but haven't heard any updates since.

Ephidel

Isn't anyone else playing Ozmafia?
I picked it up at the weekend but haven't actually gotten to it yet because I don't get to spend much time on my PC at the moment (so I've been playing Sword City instead).
I am looking forward to it though, it looks like it should be good fun even if that route graphic in the OT looks a little intimidating ^^;

Saphirax

Saw some magazine scans of the Code:Realize fan disc and hoo booy that Lupin CG.

Slightly disappointed by Van Helsing's though.

If anyone's curious - they're on tumblr.

kunonabi

Finished Amnesia:Memories yesterday. Did absolutely everything too.

I really liked it and I think I lucked out with the my order as each new route would escalate and subvert expectations pretty well. My only real beef was the MC being such a blank slate. I know it works with the story but she seemed really fun from what little we do get and it's hard to really buy into the romance when things are so one-sided.

I have Norn9 next but I think I need a break so I'll play some action games before I start it.

eefara

Finished Amnesia:Memories yesterday. Did absolutely everything too.

I really liked it and I think I lucked out with the my order as each new route would escalate and subvert expectations pretty well. My only real beef was the MC being such a blank slate. I know it works with the story but she seemed really fun from what little we do get and it's hard to really buy into the romance when things are so one-sided.

I have Norn9 next but I think I need a break so I'll play some action games before I start it.

What was your route order?

Saphirax

Geten no Hana is getting a Vita port.

pc_mainvisual.jpg

Kirie

MLnnUuv.gif

I'M SO EXCITED. Those new 'sinful flower' endings are going to be...something else. Ieyasu's is gonna make me tear up, I already know it u_u

I'm pretty ??? at the inclusion of the mini route for that apparently(?) popular shota sub-character, but whatever I guess.

I didn't get around to finish all of the Yume Akari routes (I think I only had Nao's left?), so this will give me a reason to actually finish it this time around. I'm just happy it'll be on Vita!

@Ephidel - I really hope you enjoy it if you end up picking it up! :D

Ephidel

Heroin. Visualy. Sigh :(

I was going to ask if there was any hope for the vita version, but as their facebook page specifies it's the first game (there are three and an epilogue, the vita lumps them all together) I guess that's a no.

It's a little odd though, they have a website with what they claim are "our selection of titles" with no Taisho Alice, and a Facebook page with Taisho Alice but none of their selection of titles. Also, I can't seem to find any reference to them actually even announcing any of them.

Angel Ring and Magical Marriage Lunatics are both on vndb with no previous reference to an English publisher. Platforms listed are android/iphone/windows.
The others don't seem to be listed on vndb but it looks like Night Sky Full of Stars is 星降る夜のスクリーン and Butlers' Rhapsody is 執事たちの狂騒曲 going by Mojabear's horrible website. NSFoS1 also seems to be an android/iphone/windows release so I assume the same goes for others.

Saphirax

Heroin. Visualy. Sigh :(

I was going to ask if there was any hope for the vita version, but as their facebook page specifies it's the first game (there are three and an epilogue, the vita lumps them all together) I guess that's a no.

It's a little odd though, they have a website with what they claim are "our selection of titles" with no Taisho Alice, and a Facebook page with Taisho Alice but none of their selection of titles. Also, I can't seem to find any reference to them actually even announcing any of them.

Angel Ring and Magical Marriage Lunatics are both on vndb with no previous reference to an English publisher. Platforms listed are android/iphone/windows.
The others don't seem to be listed on vndb but it looks like Night Sky Full of Stars is 星降る夜のスクリーン and Butlers' Rhapsody is 執事たちの狂騒曲 going by Mojabear's horrible website. NSFoS1 also seems to be an android/iphone/windows release so I assume the same goes for others.

Yeah, seems like their FB page is new?
Terrible English aside, companies like that would never bring the vita version over.

eefara

I've booted up Amnesia again after not playing it for a few months. I decided to start fresh with Toma (have only beaten Shin's route so far), and boy
is he a psycho. 85% of his route so far has had me going >.> and wondering what kind of "happy ending" is in store for me.
I'm on August 17th, currently;
he's been drugging me for a while.
I'm actually kind of glad I dropped Kent for the moment, since
I liked what I played of his route a lot more and I'll have something fun to look forward to after this fearfest.

I've booted up Amnesia again after not playing it for a few months. I decided to start fresh with Toma (have only beaten Shin's route so far), and boy
is he a psycho. 85% of his route so far has had me going >.> and wondering what kind of "happy ending" is in store for me.
I'm on August 17th, currently;
he's been drugging me for a while.
I'm actually kind of glad I dropped Kent for the moment, since
I liked what I played of his route a lot more and I'll have something fun to look forward to after this fearfest.

I have never found any of these psychotic characters to be justified or fixed in the end, but Toma in particular represents the lowest point in any otome I've ever played. He is the fucking WORST, and I'd had such high hopes for him at first.

Saphirax

Hey guys! Owner of E2 here! My apologies for the communication so far, we hired a hardcore otome fan to build our website and manage this page, and despite his great love for the genre, he didn't turn out to be a great choice! smile emoticon We've let him go and I'll be taking myself for now! So let me update you on a few things: 1) I have just returned from Japan, where I have acquired the publishing rights of all four titles in the series. We will be localizing and publishing all four for PC. 2) The website is currently being updated with our own localization team's translation, the hardcore otome fan we had hired launched the site prematurely using a fan translation because he was a little over-excited, we'll get it updated now. Many apologies to Otome Jikan! 3) Mardelas (King Records) will be featured in the first title 4) Primula will be linking to over to us shortly so you guys will have confirmation that this is happening! Japan web team takes a little time to update, no worries guys, we're just 48 hours into this adventure and everything is coming online soon!

giphy.gif

From their FB page. They're also planning on fundraising the game, all 4 episodes and PC only. Can't wait to see this not get funded!

jzbluz

I wanted MG to localize Taisho Alice since they're the only respectable PC publisher doing otome. The genre certainly has bad luck here.

eefara

I have never found any of these psychotic characters to be justified or fixed in the end, but Toma in particular represents the lowest point in any otome I've ever played. He is the fucking WORST, and I'd had such high hopes for him at first.

I only need to get his good ending before moving on to another character, but yeah, I have no hopes of any redemption on his part. The normal end was disgusting enough, with the heroine wondering if she could ever be happy again or some bullcrap. Makes me wonder what the scriptwriter thought healthy relationships consisted of, or even what romance looked like. Gotta also wonder what the publisher was thinking. "Hmm, untested market for otome games. Let's give them one filled with potential serial killers. Ladies like that, right?"

Saphirax

I only need to get his good ending before moving on to another character, but yeah, I have no hopes of any redemption on his part. The normal end was disgusting enough, with the heroine wondering if she could ever be happy again or some bullcrap. Makes me wonder what the scriptwriter thought healthy relationships consisted of, or even what romance looked like. Gotta also wonder what the publisher was thinking. "Hmm, untested market for otome games. Let's give them one filled with potential serial killers. Ladies like that, right?"

You know what's horrifying? That some do. I've seen plenty of people describing Toma in an overly positive way. "He just cares about the heroine a lot." It's not just the writers and publishers who have no idea what a healthy relationship is :/

eefara

You know what's horrifying? That some do. I've seen plenty of people describing Toma in an overly positive way. "He just cares about the heroine a lot." It's not just the writers and publishers who have no idea what a healthy relationship is :/

D:
"A lot", huh? All I can do is shake my head in disbelief.
Hopefully localizing otomes with these types of "heroes" doesn't become a trend or anything. Ugh, I'm working on his good end right now and I can't wait to be done with it.

jzbluz

Amnesia was localized because it's a well known and popular title in the English fandom, probably due to the anime. Sure, the game isn't that good but it was the safest choice for IFI.

I worry about the future of otome games since both Amnesia and Ozmafia seemed to have underperformed; at least going by IFI's reluctance to localize another otome and steamspy's numbers for Ozmafia. Not sure about Aksys's titles, but considering how shaky Vita's situation is, I doubt they did any better.

Saphirax

Amnesia was localized because it's a well known and popular title in the English fandom, probably due to the anime. Sure, the game isn't that good but it was the safest choice for IFI.

I worry about the future of otome games since both Amnesia and Ozmafia seemed to have underperformed; at least going by IFI's reluctance to localize another otome and steamspy's numbers for Ozmafia. Not sure about Aksys's titles, but considering how shaky Vita's situation is, I doubt they did any better.

The problem with Amnesia and Ozmafia is that neither is particularly good. Amnesia is average and Ozmafia veers right into gross territory. Then we have all these shady companies trying to kickstart otome games and well...not a good outlook. I hope Aksys plans on bringing more otome games.

eefara

Urk. I somehow managed to leave my laptop charge cord at home, so that'll be it for me for Amnesia until next week. At least I managed to finish up Toma before my battery died.

The problem with Amnesia and Ozmafia is that neither is particularly good. Amnesia is average and Ozmafia veers right into gross territory. Then we have all these shady companies trying to kickstart otome games and well...not a good outlook. I hope Aksys plans on bringing more otome games.

Spoil me on the gross shit? I haven't picked it back up again after beating it twice, I'm just not feeling it at all. I need another amazing Otome to get into again. T_T I guess I should probably hit my Japanese studies hard again so I can try to play Hakouki: Sweet School Life at some point soon lol.

Saphirax

Spoil me on the gross shit? I haven't picked it back up again after beating it twice, I'm just not feeling it at all. I need another amazing Otome to get into again. T_T I guess I should probably hit my Japanese studies hard again so I can try to play Hakouki: Sweet School Life at some point soon lol.

I'm not a PC gamer and it'd take an amazing PC game to make me take the plunge. I was curious about Ozmafia so I decided to read some spoiler heavy reviews and hoo boy...

Basically a lot of emotional abuse and it's not just contained in one route. The brothel route in particular is vomit inducing, especially when the heroine ends up being a brainwashed sex slave. Robin Hood is a walking piece of shit. There's a lot of NTR that you can't avoid and apparently most of the CGs are tied to it.

Couple that with a brain dead heroine and nope, there are better games out there to play.
This review sums it up way better than I could:

https://breadmasterlee.com/2013/07/25/otome-game-review-ozmafia/

I'm not a PC gamer and it'd take an amazing PC game to make me take the plunge. I was curious about Ozmafia so I decided to read some spoiler heavy reviews and hoo boy...

Basically a lot of emotional abuse and it's not just contained in one route. The brothel route in particular is vomit inducing, especially when the heroine ends up being a brainwashed sex slave. Robin Hood is a walking piece of shit. There's a lot of NTR that you can't avoid and apparently most of the CGs are tied to it.

Couple that with a brain dead heroine and nope, there are better games out there to play.
This review sums it up way better than I could:

https://breadmasterlee.com/2013/07/25/otome-game-review-ozmafia/

Hoooooooly shit I feel like that all makes no sense and the
brothel
stuff sounds horrifying (although admittedly slightly intriguing with all the sex lol). I guess I'm probably not picking it back up again just because it's far too much work to get all these CGs and different endings and if I have to hear the little jingle and see the silhouettes another 10,000 times in the process I may actually die.

Kirie

I felt the NTR was actually kind of fun and different? It's really not all that bad imo, but yeah opinions are going to vary pretty wildly on it. *shrug*

I liked it a lot though personally and 100%ed it. Played it with a group of people and shared screenshots to each and it was a blast. Different strokes and all, though.

I also tend to like the crazy routes because they are so out there that they don't really bother me at all, but I can understand why people want to avoid them. I think they are fun in a train-wrecky way.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Then we have all these shady companies trying to kickstart otome games and well...not a good outlook. I hope Aksys plans on bringing more otome games.

Reminds me of this new project. Why do all the shady guys try and take these games? It means less games for us to get to play :/ I sure hope Aksys is still in the market and that Code Realize and Norn9 did alright for them.

I felt the NTR was actually kind of fun and different? It's really not all that bad imo, but yeah opinions are going to vary pretty wildly on it. *shrug*

I liked it a lot though personally and 100%ed it. Played it with a group of people and shared screenshots to each and it was a blast. Different strokes and all, though.

I also tend to like the crazy routes because they are so out there that they don't really bother me at all, but I can understand why people want to avoid them. I think they are fun in a train-wrecky way.

I actually enjoy crazy routes in things like Bioware games, but I find in those games it's less distasteful because it's a choice you're making (you can also choose to do the right thing) and the kind of moral wrongs there are not usually things that are repugnant in the same way to me as having your character somehow love the crazy out of your chosen boy.

Saphirax

NTR and crazy routes on their own don't bother me much per se. It's how they're executed that I find really gross and dumb.

I find the idea of crazy love interests interesting, but it almost always ends up either with a brainwashed heroine or the character's insanity being thrown under the rug by the time you reach the ending and the heroine acting dumb just for the sake of love.

The NTR in Ozmafia is in almost every route and from what I read is sometimes nonsensical. It makes for bad storytelling and characterization and that's what bothers me the most.

So I picked up Amnesia and played through about half of Shin's route and he seems like kind of a jerk. I was hoping that the other characters would be more likable but after reading this thread a bit I'm not exactly filled with hope. Is this a common theme in otome games or do some of them have normal guys?

Saphirax

So I picked up Amnesia and played through about half of Shin's route and he seems like kind of a jerk. I was hoping that the other characters would be more likable but after reading this thread a bit I'm not exactly filled with hope. Is this a common theme in otome games or do some of them have normal guys?

Shin gets better, although his tsundere act can get a bit old. And yeah, otome games usually have a variety of guys so that at least one is to your liking. Usually. Then there are some where most if not all guys are jerks :p.

Shin gets better, although his tsundere act can get a bit old. And yeah, otome games usually have a variety of guys so that at least one is to your liking. Usually. Then there are some where most if not all guys are jerks :p.

Could you recommend any for pc where the guys are a bit more endearing?

Top Bottom