• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast PS4 |OT|

Aspiring

hey gaf i have a problem. i downloaded the game from PS + and when i try and start it i get this message; cannot start application. only users who hold a licence for this application can start it"

any hep???

I'm enjoying the game so far along with the atmosphere and story, but every time I hit a portion of the game where I get chased by dudes, it always annoys the hell out of me. I had the same problem with Amnesia where running away and hiding becomes an exercise in trial and error. Most of the time I fumble with the controls and I just let the enemy pummel me to death and try again.

I'm sure I'll see the game to the end but I'm finding every chase sequence to be annoying.

I understand. After a few chase sequences, most of the fear went away since I could tell where one would begin for the most part. The scary parts were when the person was literally right behind me or show up unexpected.

Played the game with my Pulse headset on tonight. Got to the first big scare,
where the dead body falls from the ceiling in the dark room
, screamed like a bitch, threw my headset off, and shut off the game. Freaked my dogs out too…

This is going to be a tough game to finish. And I'm normally not all that easy to scare. I might start broadcasting me playing and screaming like a pussy. Although nobody ever watches me play :(

Cubed

I'm in the same boat as many here:

I'm VERY hard to scare any more. I literally can't remember the last game that made me tense for longer than a minute or was legitimately scary. This game, though? I'm tense the entire time. Even jump scares, which maybe only get me 50% of the time, get me every time here. Likely because the rest of the game and its atmosphere are so tense all the time.

Man, I hope Alien: Isolation is like this.

nym

Neo Member
I'm a huge pussy at this game, but my 14 year old played it and got bored and decided to go back to Rust with his friends. I feel like less of a man.

Trose

Neo Member
I'm enjoying the game so far along with the atmosphere and story, but every time I hit a portion of the game where I get chased by dudes, it always annoys the hell out of me. I had the same problem with Amnesia where running away and hiding becomes an exercise in trial and error. Most of the time I fumble with the controls and I just let the enemy pummel me to death and try again.

I'm sure I'll see the game to the end but I'm finding every chase sequence to be annoying.
This is dead on how I feel about the game. The slow creeping parts are fucking traumatic, but the chase bits kind of lost the magic for me. Still love the game.

ChuckNyce

This is going to be a tough game to finish. And I'm normally not all that easy to scare. I might start broadcasting me playing and screaming like a pussy. Although nobody ever watches me play :(

There there, I'll watch you play and scream like a pussy :) Shoot me a link to your channel and I'll throw you a follow. Wouldn't mind if you did the same for me. I broadcasted this a bit last night and while pretty much everything within me is telling me to stop, I'm gonna try really hard to stick with it. Will probably throw out another stream tomorrow or Friday night when I have time.

jtan

i'm only on the beginning, but the music is what's scariest to me. I'm fine until the music picks up and I shit my pants!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Played the game with my Pulse headset on tonight. Got to the first big scare,
where the dead body falls from the ceiling in the dark room
, screamed like a bitch, threw my headset off, and shut off the game. Freaked my dogs out too…

Had the exact same reaction to that first scare. Jumped like a mofo, powered off the Pulse headphones and couldn't hit the PS button fast enough to quit out.

I'll try more tonight. Also, how scarce are batteries? I accidentally wasted both of my starter batteries early in trying to figure out what all the buttons did. Didn't realize I had wasted both spares with like 99% juice until it was too late. I'll just start over to get them back next time I play.

Jobbs

Banned
Gonna give my opinions here after two evenings of playing the game, and not finishing it, but also not planning to. The part I last played was a bit after
the doctor who cuts your fingers off and the little patrol and need the elevator key stuff.

First 30-60 minutes of the game, I was invested. It was tense. And while the presentation of the game remains strong after that first period, after I figured out what the game is and how it's played, it just wasn't scary anymore. All of the jump scares I became completely numb to. I know, I must be a bad ass. But the jump scares lost their effectiveness in part because I knew they had nothing to threaten me with. I knew the game wouldn't injure or hurt me unless I'm in a "okay, the badguy is here, avoid him" designated stealth section.

So what's the actual game?

It's a halloween haunted house theme park ride type deal sometimes, and the above mentioned stealth game "avoid the badguy while you find xyz" the other times.

For all its growling at me, the game itself has no teeth or claws. I can't fight anyway, so it's not like it's going to threaten me with a tough fight. Worst that happens I get stabbed and start again right where I was. The tension is gone.

The game became pure tedium, having to explore environments and find things while avoiding a badguy, for me, became boring and pointless. I lost interest utterly. I just didn't care about the story or characters and didn't find the gameplay in any way fun. I found exploration to be okay during the house of horrors areas, but during the "avoid the patrolling badguy" areas I found it so incredibly tedious -- Because you either aggro him by accident, or sometimes are forced to, and then you have to lose all your bearings and try to re-orient yourself once you've lost him.

If you have incredible patience and/or just love stealth games, then maybe it's for you. The graphics are nice and the atmosphere is well presented, even if it quickly lost its effectiveness.

Me, though?

ihatethisgame.gif

I need depth to gameplay. This has none. It's not enough to have presentation and nothing else. Tedious trial and error fest, and fuck it.

Seriously mods. Please add "restore licenses " to the title as people apparently can't read the thread. It's been mentioned at least 10 times.

doby

If you die you should loose your saves (just like don't starve), would make people more cautious and scared rather than a trial and error method of game play. Also it needs resident evil style typewriter save points rather than saving whenever you want.

def sim

If you die you should loose your saves (just like don't starve), would make people more cautious and scared rather than a trial and error method of game play. Also it needs resident evil style typewriter save points rather than saving whenever you want.

There's a difficulty setting that only gives you one life. You have to start over if you die.

Played a bit more tonight....got to the part where you go outside....fucking terrifying.

The gameplay is aggravating at times though....its exciting when you bolt for a door or vent with a maniac hot on your tail....its flat out annoying when you have a maniac chasing you around the same rooms over and over because you are lost or because YOU CANT SEE A DAMN THING EVEN WITH NIGHTVISION
fire spinkler part!

Zee-Row

Banned
I beat the game in one setting today. it was scary in the beginning but then it got less scary toward the second half of the game.

D23

playing this game with a good surround headphones is super fucking scary. screamed so many times. had to turn it off or else im going to get a heart attack.

CozMick

Banned
Yeah, well, Im a pussy....

Started playing last night, lights off, pulse headset max volume, reached the
guy jumping out of the wheelchair
, proceeded to turn my ps4 off and walked away.

My god!

The_Monk

Guess I'll finish this one today in case I'm near the end. I think I'm going to the
Female Ward, after being outside.
Any idea if I'm close fellow GAFfers? HNNNG.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
super expert tip: dying gives you a free battery charge so make sure you completely defuse the tension and die at the start of every arena for the special death-bonus

Played for a couple of hours so far, its ok but nothing special yet.

ZombiU probably had more scares in it IMO, looks about the same as well lol.

But we'll see, back in I go!

NeoRausch

Tonight I'm going to be on heavy pain medication.
perfect time to play this a little bit more.

of you don't read a part from me in the next two days please send in the cops!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Played for a couple of hours so far, its ok but nothing special yet.

ZombiU probably had more scares in it IMO, looks about the same as well lol.

But we'll see, back in I go!
Well, Outlast at least avoids loading screens and runs at a higher resolution and framerate. Not an amazing looking game, though.

Drainer

Banned
Pretty fucking scary game.

Played with my US account as not to tie the trophies to my AU. But they seem semi reasonable and doable.

super expert tip: dying gives you a free battery charge so make sure you completely defuse the tension and die at the start of every arena for the special death-bonus

Does it give you more batteries than you had before? I thought you just started with two after getting killed, which means if I had more than that before I died I lost some? Not sure tbh. Either way, dying and losing all your batteries when you're in a completely dark area is a sure way to make people not want to (or be able to) progress. It makes sense that you have some at your disposal once you restart.

Finished the first couple of sections and liking it so far, though I can see how people feel about it being totally scripted and trial and error after dying. Good atmosphere and a few good scares so far though. I'm happy this is on PS+, probably never would've gotten it otherwise, and I'm definitely enjoying the experience so far.

marrec

Banned
About an hour and a half in and I'm feeling underwhelmed. Feels more like a plodding adventure game than a survival horror game and I feel more empathy towards the bad guys than I do toward the main character. That said there were a few moments when I jumped, but who isn't going to for a few moments.

I'm trying to figure out what, if anything, it does better than Amnesia and I'm coming up with a blank. It's good, so far, for what it sets out to be... but it certainly doesn't rise above the rest or stand out in anyway.

kinggroin

Banned
Well, Outlast at least avoids loading screens and runs at a higher resolution and framerate. Not an amazing looking game, though.

I don't even see the need for comparison as they aren't even anything close to be the same type of game. I guess they share the horror umbrella and POV, but that's it.

this must be a lot of people's first horror game or something. this game did not scare me at all, but a game like Silent Hill will have me freaking out.

Top Bottom