• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outrun 2 Demo - bizzare drifting?

I dunno, some of the drifting I do seems impossible. I mean, I didnt win the race, but I as able to race almost completely sideways.

Its just a weird experience. Im racing sideways while some woman is freaking out next to me. Maybe I should play some rallisport challenge 2.

segasonic

50 reasons to buy OutRun2 today

50. If we like it it must be good, because we don’t usually get excited or carried away about Sega games.

49. It’s made by a company that isn’t owned by EA yet.

48. The Mission bit is made by some nice, friendly British people who go into web forums and politely answer even the most boring of questions from the biggest of idiots.

47. No members of the UK Garage Scene contributed to the game's audio.

46. It hasn’t got an EA Trax soundtrack.

45. It has got a Sega soundtrack.

44. Although Magical Sound Shower is an incredible piece of music, it’s Splash Wave that emerges as the real standout track after you’ve heard it for the 50th time in a row.

43. It also has the "aural sensations" of Richard Jacques who managed to remix Magical Sound Shower and make it better.

42. It comes with the original 1986 Splash Wave and Richard Jacques' Splash Wave Euro Mix.

41. If you're obsessed with Richard Jacques (we're not) you need this game to put in your Richard Jacques cupboard where you keep mint, unopened copies of all the games Rich has ever worked on.

More:

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2004_09_01_ukresistance_archive.html#109638727407415714

segasonic

48. The Mission bit is made by some nice, friendly British people who go into web forums and politely answer even the most boring of questions from the biggest of idiots.

(That would be you, Isamu)

segasonic

seismologist said:
I want this game to be good!

blauer-geist.gif

"The Sega-Genie grants your wish!"

xsarien

daedsiluap
MrAngryFace said:
I dunno, some of the drifting I do seems impossible. I mean, I didnt win the race, but I as able to race almost completely sideways.

That's pretty much Outrun 2.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

:rollseyes

Oh it's from uk resisitance, haha...why are you posting that shit

Brofist

Wario64 said:

:rollseyes

Oh it's from uk resisitance, haha...why are you posting that shit

Cause the 2 other times that lame shit was posted weren't enough I guess.

xsarien

daedsiluap
shuri said:
"Obviously, you never banged your school's prom queen, because outrun2 is like banging one"

Drunk, not as easy as advertised, and you've gotta get it back by morning before people figure out what you've been playing?

Wario64 said:
I'm gonna call in sick on the 26th to play Grand Theft...I mean Outrun 2 all day!

This game comes out on the same day as GTA San Andreas.
Once again Sega comes through with their impeccable timing.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Which is great since it increases the chance of the game clearing out on the cheap in Circuit City's next sale!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Driving in real life is not fun, therefore every driving game is impossible.

Wario64 said:
But does Burnout 3 have Magical Sound Shower? NOPE! OUTRUN 2 WINS
Does Burnout 3 have the custom soundtrack option which would allow you to listen to Magical Fairy Cherryblossom Homosexual Japanophile Ver 2.1 or whatever else you want to listen to?

OH I THINK IT JUST MIGHT!

Burnout 3 + gay song you like > Outrun 2 + gay song you like

Ranger X

The drift of Outrun is kind of a move you pull of with the car. It's excessively arcadish and that's why we LOVE Outrun2.
Ok everybody who disagree will now be deported to some GT4 vs Forza thread (read "where you belong")

pilonv1

I originally hated the Euro mixes, but after a while they really grew on me. Especially Magical Sound Shower, the horn section sounds great. If only they didn't have those speed challenge zones, which are the most annoying of the missions.

shpankey

not an idiot
Well, I've been known to kind of be a person who, how shall we say, doesn't like SEGA all that much... especially recently with their NFL and NBA games sucking (the 2k1's were masterpieces in their time however, but the series have both gone to shit IMO). Although the NHL series is tops. And I do hate dealing with the SEGA fanboys also (who doesn't).

Having said all that...

LET ME TELL YA SUMFIN!!!! <--(old comedy skit from In Living Color lol- the Fireman Chief dude)

This demo KICKS FUCKING ASS!!!! I am in absolute LOVE. I have played it about a thousand times now and yearn every night to get to play it again when I'm away. Every since I got this damn demo, I have been unable to play anymore Burnout 3. In fact, every time I try I end up comparing it in my mind to the SEGA Outrun 2 demo and Burnout 3 loses and loses BAD. The play mechanics in Outrun 2 are just fucking sublime... they are succulent and rest upon the cusp of absolute perfection.

Now, if you're someone who wants depth in terms of everything outside of gameplay (options, maps, tracks, cars, paint jobs, game modes, etc etc etc) then you of course are not going to understand my attraction to this game. But, if you are like me, and literally find your "depth" of a game *IN* the gameplay, then you will understand.

To me, gameplay is depth... and when it is done so well as it is in this demo, then I can just sit there playing the same thing over and over again and allowing the game to be "different" only in the aspect of the subtle nuances of how I am controlling it.

It's hard to explain really, unless you come from this school of thought. I remember the game from Bungie called Myth: The Fallen Lords was much the same way... it was a RTS game with no resource management, no building, and no way to get more troops or anything. You usually started with a few troops and that's all you had for the whole game. Yet the game was deep in terms of the immaculate gameplay and learning how to be incredibly efficient and effective with those troops.

Outrun 2 demo has me a believer! I am fucking SOLD and I have no doubt at all the game, to me, will be a perfect 10.

I guess I could have just said I really loved it instea dof typing all that. Also, I like the song in the middle (which one is that?) of the 3 selections. Is that Splash or Magical? \\

Fusebox

Banned
I dunno what you guys are talking about, the last Ferrari I threw around a corner at 200k/s drifted exactly the same as in the game - you guys need to stop making shit up hellol

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
BeOnEdge said:
all the euro mixes own SOOOOOOOOOOOO hard.

be I've seen you playing the demo on Live....what are your thoughts on the handling? Daytona-ish???

And where are all the UK members here? Give impressions dammit! I've been reading a lot over at the NTSC-UK forums.

Some people are reporting serious lag issues when the group exceeds five players online.

A couple others have said the frame rate drops when too many cars are on the screen.

Another guy has stated that upon racing the routes in reverse, when he got to one of the inbetween checkpoint screens the screen went completely white and then the game crashed!!!! WTF?

And finally, some guy named Yoshimoto is complaing that the Xbox version is running TOO fast, and that he can no longer play the arcade version because it's too slow. :lol

Yoshimoto said:
Ok, please bear with me on this. This isn't about the bugs with XBox Outrun 2. It also isn't about the gameplay of Outrun 2 which i consider to be the best arcade racing / driving game since Sega Rally Championship.

Myself and $c8t@ have been to a couple of arcades this evening to play Outrun 2 and attempt to get our names at the top of the time trial scoreboards. I've played Outrun 2 in the arcade loads and loads since its release last year but since the demo arrived last month haven't bothered and have just played it at home. Tonights arcade session has shocked me to say the least.

As soon as the game starts its immediately apparent that its running far far slower than the XBox version...it's always seemed normal in the arcade before now, but since playing the XBox version its definitely noticeably slower. Why?

At first we could only guess that maybe the game hasn't been optimised / slowed down for 60hz. Since arriving home we've checked it at 50hz and although it seems ever so slightly slower its still no where as slow as the arcade version. Why have Sumo / Sega altered the game?

The game has been reported as being almost arcade perfect when its definitely nothing of the sort. I'm sorry if i appear to be moaning, i guess i am. But the bottom line is that Outrun 2 is a game very dear to my heart.

I have my own thoughts on why the games speed has been increased, but for the moment i'll keep to just the facts and keep the speculation to myself.

If you're reading this SOL then please find time to give me and other fans of Outrun 2 an answer.

*thread in question*

Brannon

I've been playing this demo heavily on XBLive (gamertag "Reisadan"), and yeah, it kicks the ass of all that is.

I'm not trying to start a war, i just had this thought and may as well share it.

I like burnout 3, and i've only played a relatively small amount of what is available so far, but has anyone noticed the unavoidable 'system' at play here?

I mean, whenever i get in front, from takeouts and building boost meter - boost invariably runs out because there aren't enough cars around to take out. I'm left to 'wait' for the comp cars to catch up so i can take them out again and maintain a healthy lead. It makes it very inconsistant as to what it takes to actually win the race. And often, the best way to win the race is not what burnout is most fun for (smashing the other cars in violent driving sessions). It kind of reminds me of how sonic is fun when its at its fastest, but the later levels are too convoluted to get up to speed. I should point out i'm not quite sure how they could have made this work better :)

Anyway, i haven't played outrun 2, but if it does have a sega rally style of gameplay (where the mechanics are so finely tuned to perfection that you know when you lost 1 thousandth of a second) i know which one i will prefer.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
MrAngryFace:
A deep drifting mechanic is more satisfying than a good challenge in a game? Does automatic drifting spoil the mechanics of driving more than automatic transmission?

the androgyne said:
I'm not trying to start a war, i just had this thought and may as well share it.

I like burnout 3, and i've only played a relatively small amount of what is available so far, but has anyone noticed the unavoidable 'system' at play here?

I mean, whenever i get in front, from takeouts and building boost meter - boost invariably runs out because there aren't enough cars around to take out. I'm left to 'wait' for the comp cars to catch up so i can take them out again and maintain a healthy lead. It makes it very inconsistant as to what it takes to actually win the race. And often, the best way to win the race is not what burnout is most fun for (smashing the other cars in violent driving sessions). It kind of reminds me of how sonic is fun when its at its fastest, but the later levels are too convoluted to get up to speed. I should point out i'm not quite sure how they could have made this work better :)

Anyway, i haven't played outrun 2, but if it does have a sega rally style of gameplay (where the mechanics are so finely tuned to perfection that you know when you lost 1 thousandth of a second) i know which one i will prefer.
The rubberband AI is there, no doubt. My strategy- which worked pretty well as I'm now at 99% complete (CURSE YOU SIGNATURE TAKEDOWNS)- is to take out as many cars as possible at the beginning, hold the lead, and only boost after you hit/grind the wall or slow down because of a non-drift turn. You basically want to just hold the lead at a normal pace (no always boosting), fend off the odd car that'll challenge you, and just pace yourself. That way you don't have to risk driving against opposing traffic all the time just to regain boost.

Yeah mike, that is exactly what i mean - but frankly i'd just rather be turboing the whole race and trying to avoid traffic and getting rammed, and ramming back, than pacing myself, especially in a game called burnout! - you know what i mean? Thats what the games good at, yet thats not what it's encouraging.

Actually - the way to do this better is illustrated perfectly in - F-Zero GX :p

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
MrAngryFace said:

congrats you've experienced 95% of what Outrun 2 has to offer.

The other 5 is arithmetic skills based.

Magical Sound Shower Euro Remix is a joy to behold though.

Top Bottom