• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outrun 2 Demo - bizzare drifting?

scaffa

I have the game a few days now and I'm loving it! I had to chose between burnout 3 and Outrun 2 and im glad I made the right choice :) I even got a limited edition with a free soundtrack :D

The arcade mode is pure fun and if you want something different and increase your driving skills then the mission mode is the place to be. Sometimes small but very entertaining missions like stealing hearts from other cars or staying at a maximum speed at certain stages.

Its a great game and I wasnt even a huge fan of the first one. I should check out the Live option sometime :)

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Zotty said:
I have the game a few days now and I'm loving it! I had to chose between burnout 3 and Outrun 2 and im glad I made the right choice :) I even got a limited edition with a free soundtrack :D

The arcade mode is pure fun and if you want something different and increase your driving skills then the mission mode is the place to be. Sometimes small but very entertaining missions like stealing hearts from other cars or staying at a maximum speed at certain stages.

Its a great game and I wasnt even a huge fan of the first one. I should check out the Live option sometime :)

how do you know you've made the right choice? sounds like you're just justifying your purchase. :)

scaffa

chespace said:
how do you know you've made the right choice? sounds like you're just justifying your purchase. :)

I work in a gamestore and I see burnout 3 running all day long, it brings nothing new for me except the online play. I already got part 1 and 2 on the gamecube, wich I enjoyed alot btw.

Im not saying its a bad game since they are both great but I dont really like the style of B3. To many great games are comming and that is why im glad I made to choice to purchase O2 instead of B3 because like I said it has nothing new for me.

segasonic

Sho Nuff said:
Enough douchebaggery! Both games are different types of games and worthy in their own rights. Buy both.
I was saying the same stuff before the games were released.

My copy of Burnout 3 is on ebay now. Burnout 2 >> Burnout 3 (which is heavily watered down for the mainstream and has a shitty Live mode)

Temujin

I've been playing it for a couple of days now, really enjoying it.

I'm mostly playing the Xbox Live time attack mode. I'm fairly high on the high score table, usually between 10 and 20 for most tracks. Gaining a position is now really a matter of shaving off milliseconds.
Oh yeah, downloading ghosts is a really good feature, if you don't want to discover the best way to race the track for yourself, just download the first ranked, and learn from the master :) ...not that I did that... well, not until yesterday, but it didn't teach me anything new really.

The Live vs mode is laggy sometimes...but usually it's caused by idiots leaving in the middle of the game. I'm not really playing this mode much, I think I only did 6 races, and won 4 of them :/

The mission mode is fairly good, but it's starting to get repetitive after 5 or 6 stages. Hit the blue cones!! Drive over green!! Steal hearts!! Drift to gain hearts!! Keep passing other cars!! That about sums it up, they only get harder or are mixed in later stages. There is one original mission, you have to take snapshots of um, big floating hearts, usually while drifting.
You unlock most of the stuff in this mode, like new cars (288 GTO is my favourite, but the Enzo Ferrari is one sexy beast), new music, reversed stages etc. The original Outrun game is unlocked by finishing all 5 routes in the arcade mode.

By the way, people do realise that you don't have to drift in every corner, right? And that you can control the drift in more than one way, like releasing the acceleration briefly and then hit it again to gain more control? Oh good.

chespace said:
Sounds like you are just justifying a certain xbox mags BO3 review score.

I don't quite understand why some people feel the need to keep entering the Outrun 2 threads and post "or2 sux bo3 rox" ad naseum but whatever, this is GAF: no two games in the same genre can be good, there can only be one!!

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
neptunes said:
Intial DEEEEeeeeeee...
Given the nature of the series, I think the drifting in Initial D is a bit rubbish acyually. Ver 3 on the snow/wet is better, but it's not as much about op-lock powerslides as Daytona or Outrun 2. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've played daytona a LOT and that had great drifting, with finessed controls. Outrun 2 is much more on/off than that, and just doesn't feel anywhere as good as daytona USA.

get a new car.

driving in my WRX is fun as hell.

So was mine until this happened at the weekend ;_;

rear3.jpg

"and just doesn't feel anywhere as good as daytona USA"

thats right, but i still feels better than any other racer this gen.

I normally dont like any racing game with boost in it. It makes the rubberband AI way too obvious. The only one I've been able to tolerate is Mario Kart.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Burnout is the Tekken of arcade racers: flashy (complete with sparks and everything), bone-crunching excitement. I could almost see Namco releasing it.

AM2's OutRun 2 is the Virtua Fighter of arcade racers: playability through pure arcade action.

I think both games will satisfy their respective target audiences.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
mrklaw said:
I've played daytona a LOT and that had great drifting, with finessed controls. Outrun 2 is much more on/off than that, and just doesn't feel anywhere as good as daytona USA.

sorry to hear about your car mrklaw.

I found your comment above interesting. If you can, would you mind elaborating on just how the drifting in OR2 differs from that of Daytona USA? If driven a certain way, surely the Hornet can pull off slides in a similar fashion to the Ferraris....no?

Gek54

MrAngryFace said:
I dunno, some of the drifting I do seems impossible. I mean, I didnt win the race, but I as able to race almost completely sideways.

Sure you dont mean Colin McRae Rally 2005?

Gek54

mrklaw said:

So was mine until this happened at the weekend ;_;

rear3.jpg

What happened?

Top Bottom