• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

I really don't care about the 3D capabilities.

I just want this to revive 2D gaming to a certain degree. Release of 2D classics like Astal with filtering! Sold!

New 2D games that are inexpensive to developer for but profitable = heaven!

I might be the only one, but I can't wait to get some quality 2D gaming! Come on Odin Sphere port!

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
New update.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/308810

Hi OUYAs,

Our campaign ended a month ago, and we’ve been heads-down cranking on OUYA.

I’m writing to give you the full update. In fact, I will continue to send updates every few weeks until we launch. First up: you guessed it...

GAMES

We’re happy to say that our inbox is packed full of emails from talented developers looking to bring their games to life on OUYA. This is great news since pre-orders continue to roll into OUYA.tv. Great games, big audience, a perfect marriage.

Some of you have full-fledged games completed, others are in the process, and some of you are just starting to dream. We’re going through each and every one of your emails, playing your games, watching your videos, and reading your stories. We're working on our developer support plans and will share more details in the coming months.

Remember, developers, we’re on track to deliver our SDK to you this December. That gives you about 90 days to get your work ready to test out on OUYA before launch. Get crackin!

If you haven’t shared your game with us yet, remember to reach out to devs@ouya.tv.

NI HAO

Muffi and I just got back from Taiwan and Hong Kong. We met with manufacturers and suppliers -- all eager to bring OUYA to the world. We’ve decided on our design-manufacturing team, and we couldn’t be happier. We’re now finalizing our circuit-board layout, overall design, and what’s referred to as the “CMF” - colors, materials and finish.

Here are just some of the small, but important, questions we’re answering:

“Where will the circuit board rest within the console itself?”
“What’s the thermal impact within our little box?” (How do we keep it from getting too hot.)
“Where do we position the WiFi antenna for best performance?”
“Just how will the box open from the top, and what’s the first reaction we want our backers to have when they open it?”

Finally, we are beginning to test each controller button, grip, and stick with not only our manufacturing partners but some of our developer friends (thank you Adam and Zach!). Again, YOUR input into this process has been highly appreciated:

You inspired the O-U-Y-A button scheme
You helped us nail down a precision D-Pad
You cemented the importance of four triggers

USER INTERFACE

With input from Yves and fuseproject, and our skilled team of developers, we’re making game discovery—as well as the overall OUYA experience—something simple, new and beautiful. We should have more to show you soon...sorry for the tease but we want it to be great.

TEAM

As you can probably guess, we’ve been beefing up our software development team. They’re working hard to build our Developer SDK, APIs, and on-console UI. By the way, if you rock Ruby on Rails or know Android like the back of your hand, don’t just sit there! Email us at jobs@ouya.tv and help us build OUYA.

TIMING

We’re set to meet our Kickstarter demand and then some -- which is phenomenal, because orders keep pouring in through our OUYA.tv pre-order page.

NEXT UP

1. We’re manufacturing our first factory-made prototype to test our design assumptions.

2. Kickstarters, expect a survey toward the end of this month. Among other things, we can’t wait to see what usernames you choose. You’ll have up to 16 characters to play with. Names are first-come-first served by backer number. Remember, there are over 63,000 backers who will reserve a username, so “Turbopianocat” will likely be easier to snag than, say, “Bob.”

STAY IN TOUCH

As always, we want to know what you’re thinking. We continue to monitor the comment thread on Kickstarter, interact with you on Reddit, Facebook and Twitter, and of course, we’re reading each and every one of your emails.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at any of the emails below.

Thanks!

Julie & the entire OUYA team

Developer Questions – devs@ouya.tv
General Information – info@ouya.tv
Partnerships/Support– support@ouya.tv

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
March is still a long ways away. There are a bunch of devs here on GAF. Anyone involved in OUYA's update? Or are they just bsing with unidentifiable ambiguities?

Give me a break. Why did you keep posting false, wrong, and incorrect info? Someone already corrected you, yet you kept posting. Why?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nothing false, wrong or incorrect with my information. F2P will be required for all OUYA games.

I don't think you know what F2P means. A demo is free to play, I guess, but it's not F2P. F2P is like Smurfs on iOS.

Amagon

I'm not going to argue about this when I know I'm right. End of the F2P discussion on my part.

dainc.jpg

Q: What do you expect the average price to be for software on the OUYA?
I know that developers have freedom to choose their own prices, I'm more wondering what your feeling is for where prices will naturally end up.

A (Julie Uhrman): Great question, no idea. I expect some developers will do a whole game (after free demo) and others will do microtransactions, so it could be a very wide range.

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?38-OUYA-Founder-Julie-Uhrman-s-Reddit-Recap-Complete-Q-amp-A

Boerseun

Banned
From what I've read, OUYA will embrace all forms of Free to Play, including those more prevalent on Steam (i.e. buy yourself out of a challenging situation) and those models popular on mobile devices such as smart phones and tablets, where Free to Play means downloading a barebones experience (basically a demo) and paying for more content in order to expand your experience. On no platform does Free to Play equal free, complete games.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Will OUYA be able to play all Android games that were already released? Especially: Will I be able to play Monkey Ball 2: Sakura Edition on it? I hate smartphones and thus I'd maybe buy an Ouya if I can play the Rayman chasing game and the two Monkey Ball games for smartphones.

Will OUYA be able to play all Android games that were already released? Especially: Will I be able to play Monkey Ball 2: Sakura Edition on it? I hate smartphones and thus I'd maybe buy an Ouya if I can play the Rayman chasing game and the two Monkey Ball games for smartphones.

No, someone has to take the game and port it to Ouya. Which technically will be a very simple process - recompile the game with the Ouya SDK and upload it to the Ouya store. However, most games won't just work that way without changes, because most games aren't designed for gamepad controls, so will have to be adjusted for that (the Ouya controller has no touchscreen or motion sensors, which most Android games are designed around). Also, the game has to have at least a free demo, with the ability to unlock the full game via in-app purchase, to be allowed to be in the store, which will take more work. And the smart developers will update their game to look and run great at 1080p.

Again, why do you continue to argue against the Ouya website, it's Kickstarter, and the Ouya team's interviews? Every single time they mention that all games will be free to play, they ALWAYS explain what that means. They make it very obvious what they are talking about.

Ouya GAMERS link said:
Plus, every game is free — well, free-to-play. We borrowed the free-to-play model from popular games like League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Triple Town and many others. Developers can offer a free demo with a full-game upgrade, in-game items or powers, or ask you to subscribe. We don’t want you to buy a game unless you love it.

1-UP

Banned
Again, why do you continue to argue against the Ouya website, it's Kickstarter, and the Ouya team's interviews? Every single time they mention that all games will be free to play, they ALWAYS explain what that means. They make it very obvious what they are talking about.

Plus, every game is free — well, free-to-play. We borrowed the free-to-play model from popular games like League of Legends (free-to-play), Team Fortress 2 (free-to-play), Triple Town (freemium) and many others. Developers can offer a free demo with a full-game upgrade, in-game items or powers, or ask you to subscribe. We don’t want you to buy a game unless you love it.

Free-to-play.

Has there been any word on support of other controllers? For example, a PS3 fightstick or SNES pad via a usb adaptor?

That sort of device would have to be manually supported by a game, but the Ouya folks won't have any problem with it, they are happy with any kind of customized hacks. Even ones that require altering the hardware (someone needs to make an Ouya robot!)

Being on Android, everything will be free to play with how ravaged with piracy the platform is!

Heh - it may not be as bad as base Android, since the system's setup so you can't access the Ouya store nor any apps downloaded from the Ouya store while your device is rooted. And they keep mentioning some sort of authentication that has to be made with their server for paid content.

http://www.ouya.tv/ouyas-army-expands/

OUYA’S ARMY EXPANDS

Our first investor, former IGN president Roy Bahat, has agreed to be chairman of our board.

Roy believed in OUYA from day zero. He loved OUYA from the start for a bunch of reasons – one is that he cares about teaching coding skills (he’s on the board of a nonprofit called CodeNow that teaches underprivileged kids to code). So many people learned to code by making games but, until OUYA, it was hard to do that on a console.

I worked with Roy at IGN which he ran for five years. He loves startups, and has been involved with a bunch (Revision3, Flixster, etc.). He’s also on GameStop’s digital advisory council. As if that wasn’t enough, he’s a lecturer at UC Berkeley, where he teaches media.

And we’ve filled our technology leadership roles…

We hired the guy who ran development for RIFT at Trion, and Tiger Woods at EA, Steve Chamberlin, to run our engineering. Steve loves games, DIY electronics, and homebrew computing projects (his are internet famous!). We are thrilled to have him. Steve started his career in the defense simulation industry, we don’t think that’s relevant (yet?) but we do think it’s cool!

Raffi Bagdasarian joined us to lead software product, including user experience and our services for game developers. Raffi led product for Crackle at Sony Pictures Television’s Digital Networks Group, working with Xbox Live, PlayStation, Roku, iOS, and Android. He’s a gamer. He’s a tech junkie. OUYA combines the two. It’s pretty much his dream gig

Meanwhile, in the last couple of weeks we’ve continued talking to lots of game developers about putting games on OUYA – over a thousand have been in touch with us since our Kickstarter ended. We’ve kept building our product (we’re making choices about things like what materials and finish to use). And we’ve been fielding requests from distributors who want to carry OUYA (more than 50 have applied from all around the world!). Lots to do…

Ciao for now, and join me in welcoming Roy, Steve, and Raffi!

Bboy AJ

You can reserve your name and enter your shipping address. Got an email.

User names go by backer number. Fuck that. You won't know it's yours until two weeks later.

daevv

disappointed about the username thing.

I never got any confirmation or anything that it worked. It just went to the kickstarter page after I submitted my username. Almost have doubts it worked. A confirmation email would of been nice.

Anyone not able to submit your shipping and username desired info because it's requiring that the 'International Backers ONLY' field be filled despite being listed in the US?

I never got any confirmation or anything that it worked. It just went to the kickstarter page after I submitted my username. Almost have doubts it worked. A confirmation email would of been nice.

Because at the moment they are manually reserving your username until the real registration opens October 12th. And if two backers reserve the same user name it goes by "first backed, first served".

And if you click on the link in the email that you certainly got, you can see the survey you filled with your data.

Anyone not able to submit your shipping and username desired info because it's requiring that the 'International Backers ONLY' field be filled despite being listed in the US?

I just wrote "nope" in all those fields. xD

daevv

Because at the moment they are manually reserving your username until the real registration opens October 12th. And if two backers reserve the same user name it goes by "first backed, first served".

And if you click on the link in the email that you certainly got, you can see the survey you filled with your data.

Hmmmm I didn't actually fill out a survey. Just a space to write my username. Maybe because I only sent a $10 pledge?

AzaK

Hmm, I've been thinking about it. I kinda wanna just use it as an XBMC box mainly, it's either this or an HTPC

For some stupid reason I never thought of this. I use Plex with my jail broken Apple TV. I could just as well have used an Ouya, and had as well games.

has there been any new news on the Ouya lately? I'm still on the fence, but some new exclusives/new features could sway me over

Well, here's a list of games most of which are officially announced to be in development for Ouya:
http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?18-List-of-Games-Coming-to-the-OUYA&p=36&viewfull=1

- 100 Rogues
- Archon Classic - React Games (see http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...ot-likely-quot)
- Aritana and the Chieftan’s Disease (Portuguese)
- Aura Tactics - Ingredient Blu
- AURO
- Battle Gnomes - EverFire Studios
- Beast Boxer Turbo - Goodhustle Studios- Bubblegum Pop - Lighty Kid
- Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse Adventure - Revolution Software (Kickstarter still running & Game Has been FUNDED)
- Castle Conflict 2 - Broken Kings
- Dead Dog - Vortex Studios (Not 100% confirmed but pretty confident (see link))
- Digger
- Escape From Abidon - brink3D
- Evilot
- Final Fantasy III - Square Enix
- Gorgeous Guardians: Kiken
- Gravestompers - Mad Menace Ent
- Grey: The Lost Technology - Team Aurora
- Gunblitz - Rapture Game Studios
- Gunslugs - OrangePixel
- Hawken- Adhesive Games
- Human Element (Prequel / not yet named) - Robotoki
- Hunter - Unleashed Games
- Ittle Dew - Ludosity
- Invaders Pretty Sure From Outer Space - Round 2 - Freak Mind Games
- Kaiju Combat - Sunstone Games
- Kitaru - Aoineko Studios
- Legends of Aethereus - ThreeGates
- Lets Go Mother F*cker - Overclock Studios (due to the name we are not sure about this one)
- MANOS: The Hands of Fate - FreakZone Games
- Marblesss - Fuzzy Game Studios
- Mercenary Kings - Tribute Games
- Monster Truck Racing - Meltdown Interactive
- My Country, My Name - Vortex Studios (Not 100% confirmed but pretty certain (see link))
- Offensive Combat (all new games in the series) - U4iA
- One Tap Hero - Coconut Island Studio
- Penumbear - Taco Graveyard (Not 100% confirmed, but it's their goal)
- Pixelverse
- Positron - Retroburn Games
- Product 7 - BronerGames
- Quest for Infamy - Infamous Quests
- Reincarnation: The Root of All Evil - B-GROUP Productions
- Rival Threads - Studio Kontrabida
- Saturday Morning RPG - Mighty Rabbit Studio
- Shadowrun Online
- Super Retro Squad - Exploding Rabbit
- Steam Bandits
- Taapi
- The Banner Saga Factions - Stoic
- The Traveler - Adventure Works
- Tropical Treasures 2 Deluxe - Mobile Amusements
- Unnamed Action Platformer - Thomas Horwath
- Volgarr the Viking - Crazy Viking Studios
- Wings: Director's Cut - Cinemawear
- Yummy Circus - Puzzl

CONFIRMED OUYA GAMES by OUYA Themselves
- Covet
- Echoes of Eternia
- Heroes Call
- Megatroid
- Mutant Mudds
- Rival Threads: Last Class Heroes
- Ski Safari
- Super Retro Squad
- Talbot’s Odyssey - Studio Miniboss
- Triple Town - Spry Fox LLC - Shown on Kickstarter Video

Boerseun

Banned
I would rather have Shadowrun Returns than Shadowrun Online, and I'd rather have The Banner Saga than The Banner Saga: Factions. But overall it looks like a decent enough list for now. Many of these projects are Kickstarter-funded though. Perhaps too many. I can definitely see some of these ending up vapourware.

Peagles

New Update from Kickstarter:

Highlights for me?
They have the first run of PCBs.
Ouya will now run Jellybean.
Username stuff will be sorted shortly.

mr_nothin

Banned
I dont see why ppl are arguing against 1-Up. It's OUYA that's bending the definition of the term "free-to-play" to include free demos.

"Permissions. Instead of the standard Android behavior where each app has its own custom permissions, we will define a default set of application permissions that will apply to all games."

Don't like this. That means that all apps would technically have permission to access things that you'd only want something web utility in nature to have. You'd have to trust every random developer not to access them if they don't need to.

Though I guess some of the more exploitable permissions wouldn't apply to something that isn't a smartphone.

Top Bottom