• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 2 Hours of Wolverine Gameplay Leak Online

Saber

I still wonder why this bland version of Jean is even playable in a Wolverine game. Wouldn't be better create a X-men game then? Even some of her attacks doesn't make much sense.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yes, please watch an early build with no context or story which hasn't even been fully developed and continue to comment on how boring it is. Your favourite games all looked like this in its early stages, boring and uninspiring with missing presentation. This is why devs don't share these kinds of things to the public.

How anyone can say this looks good or bad based on these leaks is silly.

100% agree. It's as if some of these people are just trolling when they judge the game based on leaks.

simpatico

Gold Member
This whole thread so far can be summed up as follows:

Tell me you have no idea about how game development works without telling me you have no idea about how game development works :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The most optimistic among us are saying: “they’re scrapping every single thing in this build, don’t worry”

simpatico

Gold Member
1998 - Spyro
1999 - Spyro 2
2000 - Spyro 3
2002 - Ratchet & Clank
2003 - Ratchet & Clank Going Comando
2004 - Ratchet & Clabk Up Your Arsenal
2005 - Ratchet & Clank Deadlocked
2006 - Resistance
2007 - Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
2008 - Ratchet & Clank Quest for Booty / Resistance 2
2009 - Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time
2011 - Resistance 3 / Ratchet & Clank All 4 One
2012 - Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault
2013 - Fuse / Ratchet & Clank Into The Nexus
2014 - Sunset Overdrive
2015 - 3 mobile games released by them
2016 - Ratchet & Clank (remake) plus 3 or 4 smaller projects
2018 - Spider-Man (plus 3 DLCs released for the game)
2019 - 2 smaller projects for PC released
2020 - Miles Morales / Spider-Man Remastered
2021 - Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
2023 - Spider-Man 2.

Imagine writing a comment like this about Insomniac, lmao.
“Here lies Insomniac Game. They were one of the good ones”

1998-2012

RIP

Last edited:
Yes, please watch an early build with no context or story which hasn't even been fully developed and continue to comment on how boring it is. Your favourite games all looked like this in its early stages, boring and uninspiring with missing presentation. This is why devs don't share these kinds of things to the public.

How anyone can say this looks good or bad based on these leaks is silly.
Because we already know what Spiderman 2 looks and plays like.

Stooky

to everyone that thinks insomniac devs are scouring this thread to get your notes on pre release game footage the months to years old …… they aren’t. they pay for focus testing. your comments on pre release dev footage is useless for the them at this point, it’s fun for gaff that’s about it.

Sounds like a massive waste of time! 14 months when the game is already this playable?
More like 26 months. It’s over 2 years from now. They’re working on other games. Fall 2025 is the venom game probably the size of miles morales. So it’s not even their next game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
to everyone that thinks insomniac devs are scouring this thread to get your notes on pre release game footage the months to years old …… they aren’t. they pay for focus testing. your comments on pre release dev footage is useless for the them at this point, it’s fun for gaff that’s about it.
No shit?

Insomniac devs are so woke that they would burn like a vampire inside a church if they tried to browse gaf for more than 30 sec.

Last edited:

Fess

And I'm saying it's completely pointless complaining. That's all people seem to do these days, complain complain complain.... And the irony is I'm complaining about people complaining.
And I’m complaining that you’re complaining that people are complaining. No better lol
Lets end this and play some games instead! 👍

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Milestone 8 Build :

Part 1 :

Milestone 13 Build :

Part 1 :

Part 2 :

Part 3 :

Part 4 :

Part 5 :

Part 6 :

Part 7 :

Prototype trailer based on Milestone 8 build :

He looks funny, when he wears the yellow suit in the middle of the city, it's like he's wearing a cosplay xD.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It still amazes me that Sony owns one of the more critically acclaimed VR developers on PC/Quest and they didn't have them make anything for PSVR2.

Stooky

No shit?

Insomniac devs are so woke that they would burn like a vampire inside a church if they tried to browse gaf for more than 30 sec.
Yeah!! you said todays secret word!
WOKE!
Happy Sesame Street GIF by Muppet Wiki

Animated GIF

near

Gold Member

This is footage of Bayonetta in the prototype and beta stages of its development. From the prototype you can see the gameplay design goals, and then in the beta you can see that they’ve realised some of those goals reflected in the prototype. The beta looks rough as fuck, but the gameplay looks promising even at this stage, it’s easy to envision the end product with polish. You can see that there is clear variety in attack patterns and the direction the dev team were heading with Bayonetta from a very early stage.

When some of us in this thread shit on what we’re seeing from these leaks, we’re not fucking stupid. We know it’s in development, we’re just not remotely sold on its potential. Gameplay looks boring as fuck, with repetitive looking combos. Its core gameplay looks mechanically average at its best. No one is saying it will release in this state, but we can still be concerned about its potential.

simpatico

Gold Member
More like 26 months. It’s over 2 years from now. They’re working on other games. Fall 2025 is the venom game probably the size of miles morales. So it’s not even their next game.
Oh shit you’re right. Sounds like another case of gross project mismanagement. Sony escaped the fate of EA, MS and Ubi for a few years, but it seems they can’t escape forever.

Doomtrain

This is a weird thread. I get that people are averse to Insomniac right now because of culture war stuff, but aside from that, the comments critiquing the quality of the game are incredibly uninformed. This is just what games look like when they're in-progress. A lot of the early work on a game is just getting raw functionality in place, with feel, tuning, and polish coming much later. Someone above made the comment to the effect of "a lot of your favorite games probably looked like this early in development", and that's 100% accurate. So, the combat looks weightless? Of course it does, because the developers have to make it function, period, before they can start making it feel good. The jump looks floaty? Unsurprising, because its values haven't been tweaked yet. "NPC's should react more to Wolverine's claws being out in public?" It's possible they will in the future, but that system sounds far less important than the core gameplay systems, so it would likely come much later in production. Character models look bad? It's common practice for characters to literally be gray cubes for much of development.

Will the final product be good? No idea. But I can guarantee that there was a period of development time when Breath of the Wild looked bad. Bloodborne. Super Metroid. Pick your favorite game, and I promise you there was a time in its development where it looked terrible, because that's the nature of an unfinished product. You're looking at a pile of lumber which will eventually become a house, and complaining that "the house" has poor insulation and lacks crown molding.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
One of my favourite developers of all time bought to churn out marvel dross....

not like this GIF
It's nuts. If that roadmap is true, they are up to their necks in Marvel this and that. Their next breathing room for a new IP is I think 2030. And that even assumes it's not another comic book hero franchise (which it can very well be).

Oh shit you’re right. Sounds like another case of gross project mismanagement. Sony escaped the fate of EA, MS and Ubi for a few years, but it seems they can’t escape forever.
Mismanagement? They’ll probably put out two games before Wolverine. They’ve been the most productive studio this generation

I'm pretty sure this game will not be open world and will follow more of a mission structure. I think it will have more of a flow of an Uncharted game. The variation of the environments gives that away to me. That isn't really a positive or a negative for me, but I am not a fan of Insomniac's modern games regardless.

The point is, I seriously doubt this will be a "open world" game like Spidey.

simpatico

Gold Member
Mismanagement? They’ll probably put out two games before Wolverine. They’ve been the most productive studio this generation
I suppose if you’re just looking at the money side they’re doing great. From the creative side, they burnt a decade on flavorless slop. They’re capable of much more. I really like Insomniac of yore.

That frankly looks dull as shit, so I hope they have a lot of work to do on it yet.

Wolvie doesn't have a particular interesting skill set compared to Spidey or Batman. Hard to get a lot of gameplay combat variation in a dude that just claws everything to death.

Which is exactly why the Raven developed X-Men Origins Wolverine game went the character action game route. Insomniac probably should have followed that template, but character action games are definitely not their wheelhouse. Instead they went the safe route and are doing what they know how to do. Unfortunately, Insomniac was not the right studio for this project.

This isn't really going to work. All they can do is adding waves of enemies so Wolverine can slash his way around. He won't have the traversal of Batman or Spiderman. He was mostly always a supporting character anyway.

I think this would work best if they take the DMC or NG template, with linear levels and light puzzles, and a focus on tight combat mechanics and combos. But this likely won't sell.

What they highly like are going to release is yet another safe and by the numbers, easy to play game with the typical checkbox in place. I'll pass.

Bingo. This game from its earliest conception should have been a violent, M-rated character action game. Just like the previous Wolverine game and just like the Deadpool game. Instead, it's looking like a boring walking sim interspersed with brief moments of bland combat and by the numbers stealth.

I don't think the dude can even have a jewish circumcision because of his healing factor, let alone a fake vag.

Considering he once grew himself back from a few brain cells inside his adamantium skull, that's probably a safe bet.

simpatico

Gold Member
Considering he once grew himself back from a few brain cells inside his adamantium skull, that's probably a safe bet.
Maybe the plot has Logan searching the world for a mutant who can help him cut his penis off and transition. I can imagine the gender rage he'd get just standing in the bathroom chopping it off a dozen times a day. Maybe after building up the action meter, you press L3+R3, Logan chops his wang off and just goes into rage mode for 60 seconds with greater attack power and some post processing effects.

Hudo

Man, Insomniac are really wasted on the Marvel shit.

Sony should outsource the Marvel stuff to Chinese studios or force Bluepoint to do one. I think Insomniac should be allowed to try their hands on a new IP (or a Resistance game).

Stooky

This is a weird thread. I get that people are averse to Insomniac right now because of culture war stuff, but aside from that, the comments critiquing the quality of the game are incredibly uninformed. This is just what games look like when they're in-progress. A lot of the early work on a game is just getting raw functionality in place, with feel, tuning, and polish coming much later. Someone above made the comment to the effect of "a lot of your favorite games probably looked like this early in development", and that's 100% accurate. So, the combat looks weightless? Of course it does, because the developers have to make it function, period, before they can start making it feel good. The jump looks floaty? Unsurprising, because its values haven't been tweaked yet. "NPC's should react more to Wolverine's claws being out in public?" It's possible they will in the future, but that system sounds far less important than the core gameplay systems, so it would likely come much later in production. Character models look bad? It's common practice for characters to literally be gray cubes for much of development.

Will the final product be good? No idea. But I can guarantee that there was a period of development time when Breath of the Wild looked bad. Bloodborne. Super Metroid. Pick your favorite game, and I promise you there was a time in its development where it looked terrible, because that's the nature of an unfinished product. You're looking at a pile of lumber which will eventually become a house, and complaining that "the house" has poor insulation and lacks crown molding.
its just gaf being gaf. its why devs don't show anything early.
Early in game dev there is a point where regardles of the state of the game you make it playable from beginning to end so you get an idea of runtime, flow, etc. Especially on large 1st party, AAA game devs will have in house QA team that consistently makes recorded playthroughs of the entire game. Its very important for game development. This makes the game better it's like having a rough edit of a movie with out color timing, no cg effects just the film so you can see what you have. With the information from the play through, moving forward, Your just tightening the game up, doing more playthroughs adding, removing and updating content, doing more play throughs. Its an important part of production. . Anybody trying to make a conclusion of the final product based on these early build videos is just forum babble.

Last edited:
If Diablo was the first Hack ‘n Slash game, then this game will be the first Slash ‘n Slash game I suppose?

I know early gameplay and all, but are we finding out that Wolverine just isn’t that interesting to play? He just goes slash, slash, slash. Not even throwing in a punch or kick, because why would he?

He also doesn’t use different weapons, because he IS the weapon.

(slash slash slash slash)
november rain slash GIF by Vevo

I understand that content is unfinished but I’m just not feeling Wolverine in the open world setting. Perhaps if you could cruise on his bike it may work but the weird hulk like bounding across the rooftops doesn’t work at all.

Likewise, I despise this worn down mannish Jean Grey. I’ve never been a fan of the weird love triangle with her, Wolverine and Cyclops. If we really had to have another playable character then why not Deadpool? Seriously, why not Deadpool? The timing literally could be better considering the movie is in cinemas now.

I know early gameplay and all, but are we finding out that Wolverine just isn’t that interesting to play? He just goes slash, slash, slash. Not even throwing in a punch or kick, because why would he?
if you haven't played or seen it, watch some of the x-men origins wolverine game on youtube. in it, wolverine, quite appropriately, basically resembles old-school kratos, a whirling, swirling unstoppable dynamo of destruction with some badass finishers. so, to an extent, you're not really wrong. on the other hand, I'd say that og god of war was very playable...

i seriously believe it should be santa monica studio making this game, because wolverine, on a very fundamental level, isn't batman/spider-man. he's kratos (hell, i can even remember kratos also doing a bit of hopping)...

Open word wolverine lol, makes no sense, should be like god of war semi open world design, I think they picked the wrong ip aswell, should have chosen doctor strange, first misstep from insomniac? It’s not looking good.

The gameplay has no identity, it's all copy and paste from other Sony exclusives or the Batman games. Why does Wolverine need stealth gameplay shoved into it a la The Last of Us? Why is his "smell-o-vision" just the Batman detective mode? Why does the camera use the more over-the-shoulder camera perspective of God of War 2018? Why does Jean Grey's combat literally look like they copy and pasted the code from Control?
Any blood and gore will just be icing on a shit cake when the combat is just so excruciatingly simple and boring. You could do a hell of a lot better than this for Wolverine's combat. This is the direction that the game developers want to go with this, and I don't expect Insomniac to make something more complex.

Last edited:
Because Wolverine uses stealth plenty of times in the comics (he is a WW II veteran). You might as well be asking why Punisher uses a gun.
I'm just saying that the stealth gameplay looks very copy and paste and included for the sake of a Sony Exclusive Template rather than being designed with Wolverine in mind.

Sleepwalker

I think the game will be good but yes I would have loved Deadpool over Jean. Maybe even Sabretooth or a different mutant. Eh its whatever I guess.

The climbing over buildings stuff feels out of place too.

Oh man. I really love the Spider-Man games, but this looks like a fan mod, where they just changed the skins and the combat moves.

Wolverine is not famous for being quick when it comes to traveling, so perhaps the open world concept from the Spider-Man games was doomed from the start for Wolverine.

Top Bottom