• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apathy

That's a false dichotomy, loot boxes are certainly not the only way to monetise the game via micro-transactions and the alternative is not paid core content.

Buying specific cosmetics may make it more attractive for people to spend money, but thats because its a more attractive option and more importantly fairer to the consumer. Blind buying a random selection of items with various rarities (and even worse, no guaranteed rarity distribution) is pretty explicitly anti-consumer, just like it is in every other medium its used in. Talking about which offers a better incentive is missing the main point, which is, which offers a better return on money spent. Let's say I want a Mercy skin, if they were selling cosmetics I could pay, lets say, $10 to get it, with the current system I could spend $50 or $100 and still not get it or the credits to pay for it. Offering customers a good return for money spent may be an incentive to spend money, but generally a much smaller amount. Enticing people to gamble offers the publisher a steady return, especially for people who have an issue with it, while offering the consumer a terrible return on money spent.

Ultimately it is what it is, Blizzard arent going to change it and people who arent going to spend money wont and will get the content for free (which is what I intend to do as well, so no moral high horse here). But I certainly dont think it's a good system or one that should be applauded.

Realistically both can work side by side. You could offer specific items to be sold a x price but also have random loot boxes that cost less because they are random.

Exile20

If they made his gameplay exactly the same but he threw rocks instead of arrows, would you be complaining?

Ye if the rocks had a huge hit box also? Ye I would be complaining also, why don't all games have huge hitboxes for small projectiles.

Or the fact he can throw a rock a mile away and get a headshot? I would complain also there.

DrArchon

Is voice chat necessary in Overwatch?

I'm on PC and no one talks ever. No one even types. It's ridiculous.

I guess if you plan on playing with a group or friends or ranked mode only then yeah voice chat is recommended, but from what I've seen in casual matches it's not needed at all.

Letep

I'm on PC and no one talks ever. No one even types. It's ridiculous.

I guess if you plan on playing with a group or friends or ranked mode only then yeah voice chat is recommended, but from what I've seen in casual matches it's not needed at all.

OK, cool. Thanks for the reply!

Was super hyped. Loved the beta.

First six matches were complete stomps and I'm really not sure I want to fire it up anymore.

This happened to me the first hour and some change I played last night. After the first three losses I decided to see if I could just get myself on the post game commendation vote list while assisting my team in whatever role I found our team comp lacking. That really helped me to make my own fun with those first losses. I'd love to group up with some of you guys sometime. It would be nice knowing there was someone else on the team concerned with taking objectives. :D

Flintty

finally found a dps I enjoy, Reaper. dnt even care how edgy or popular he is, I like him

He's my go-to when it feels we need more kills on the team, otherwise I'm smashing face with Reinhardt :D

That's a false dichotomy, loot boxes are certainly not the only way to monetise the game via micro-transactions and the alternative is not paid core content.

Buying specific cosmetics may make it more attractive for people to spend money, but thats because its a more attractive option and more importantly fairer to the consumer. Blind buying a random selection of items with various rarities (and even worse, no guaranteed rarity distribution) is pretty explicitly anti-consumer, just like it is in every other medium its used in. Talking about which offers a better incentive is missing the main point, which is, which offers a better return on money spent. Let's say I want a Mercy skin, if they were selling cosmetics I could pay, lets say, $10 to get it, with the current system I could spend $50 or $100 and still not get it or the credits to pay for it. Offering customers a good return for money spent may be an incentive to spend money, but generally a much smaller amount. Enticing people to gamble offers the publisher a steady return, especially for people who have an issue with it, while offering the consumer a terrible return on money spent.

Ultimately it is what it is, Blizzard arent going to change it and people who arent going to spend money wont and will get the content for free (which is what I intend to do as well, so no moral high horse here). But I certainly dont think it's a good system or one that should be applauded.

This is where a system similar to Halo 5 REQ packs would work.

The thing is as you said the current system allows people to get cosmetics without spending money. It's not about applauding the system, but it has clear advantages and disadvantages, just like a system where you can directly buy whatever you want - which fucks with people that don't want to spend extra money instead.

bargeparty

I've got a weird sort of bug happening. I'm pretty sure I'm not hitting my ability buttons, but some sort of key combination seems to trigger them every so often.

DrArchon

Why are there no reviews for this game?

People couldn't review it ahead of time. I'm guessing major sites are still in process of playing the game to prep for reviews. They've got to check out every character, every mode, see the servers remain stable, make sure the fun doesn't wear off too soon, etc.

MajorMane

Is voice chat necessary in Overwatch?

Optional, but as someone said before, rarely anyone uses it on PC. The most communication typically is trash talking in between matches, depending on the people.

That being said, if you at least type or use the C -> "Command" things, you are instantly my favorite person on the team.

Hixx

Oh man that hitbox video clears up a bit of bullshit from last night. Some Hanzo shot the floor near my feet (he straight up missed) and one shot me as Mercy. Felt real good.

It's the only time in the beta or full game I've been really pissed off outside of ultimates fucking my team up :p

Apathy

Oh man that hitbox video clears up a bit of bullshit from last night. Some Hanzo shot the floor near my feet (he straight up missed) and one shot me as Mercy. Felt real good.

It's the only time in the beta or full game I've been really pissed off outside of ultimates fucking my team up :p

That's using the scatter arrow nonsense. It's been known for a while but using scatter arrows at the floor near someone is basically a one shot.

Uthred

That's using the scatter arrow nonsense. It's been known for a while but using scatter arrows at the floor near someone is basically a one shot.

Time to play Hanzo you say

The thing is as you said the current system allows people to get cosmetics without spending money. It's not about applauding the system, but it has clear advantages and disadvantages, just like a system where you can directly buy whatever you want - which fucks with people that don't want to spend extra money instead.

Thats a false dichotomy, you could keep the current randomised loot earned in game while monetising the game via cosmetics. The "problem" is, as I outlined, charging for entirely random "blind" packages of items, what advantage does that offer the consumer? Also, the post I was initially responding too was in fact applauding the system.

Mupod

It saves your highlights, but they seem to go away when you close the game. I lack the drive space to run Shadowplay but I should probably start.

Is Lucio considered to be one of the best supports in the game? He seems really useful.

He's consistently top tier. Zenyatta was really strong when his orbs persisted forever, but yeah that got nerfed.

It's not that Lucio is specifically OP, he's just better than the other supports. Great group healing, extremely hard to kill, offense is okay and lethal on maps with pits.

Would love to see some crowd sourced data on free crate rates vs. paid crates. Watching people open paid crates and they have like 2 skins in each crate some times. I've had one skin in 9 crates.

DrArchon

Is Lucio considered to be one of the best supports in the game? He seems really useful.

He's certainly one of the easiest to use, not sure about being the best though. It's hard to fuck up supporting as Lucio when all you have to do is stand around and occasionally amp up your healing.

vaderise

Just opened my first Legendary skin!
13247828_724588897643585_4340805334477390876_o.jpg

Baliis

I do wish it would just let me save highlights though. I could record them, but I always have music or a stream playing in the background and I can never figure out how to just record game sounds if you even can, except in like Diablo where I just route the sound to a virtual output and record that.

Thats a false dichotomy, you could keep the current randomised loot earned in game while monetising the game via cosmetics. The "problem" is, as I outlined, charging for entirely random "blind" packages of items, what advantage does that offer the consumer? Also, the post I was initially responding too was in fact applauding the system.
You could, but it would be a lot harder to earn skins / some skins would be cash only / etc.

Saying they would just keep the lootbox system exactly as is while giving an equally fair option for people spending money directly on the content they want is wishful thinking. Something would give and I certainly don't want be on the losing end.

Apathy

I do wish it would just let me save highlights though. I could record them, but I always have music or a stream playing in the background and I can never figure out how to just record game sounds if you even can, except in like Diablo where I just route the sound to a virtual output and record that.

I think they are working on getting that in. I'm surprised they didn't think of it sooner since the game already saves your last 4

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
imma buy this game now

Haven't really gotten into a competitive FPS since TF2 at the original launch of the Orange Box. wonder what I'm in for

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
They should decrease the hitboxes on the arrows. It's not necessary to have such large hitboxes. But who knows...

You're asking Blizzard to nerf a character that doesn't need to be nerfed. Hanzo is not OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom