• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

abundant

OK, is there consensus on who the best heroes are for Arcade mode? I really get the sense that some of the heroes there are just total bullshit (basically anyone that can make themselves invincible with a normal ability).

Seriously, that mode is a ton of fun, though I miss the random hero on spawn mode they had going during the open beta. That was a great way to try everyone out.

Lucio is a beast in Arcade Mode. On my first game, on Route 66, I healed my team for over 12,000 HP.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Kinda stupid for him to kill easily from far mid range and up close because of a random arrow not actually hitting you.

If they made his gameplay exactly the same but he threw rocks instead of arrows, would you be complaining?

Ugh. Went from a definitely at $40 to a maybe. I don't do paid games with microtransactions as a matter of principle. I don't care what the MT are for, the fact that they are there at all makes me sick.
Do you want buyable loot boxes or having to pay for characters, maps, and modes?

As someone who never plays competitive multiplayer games my enthusiasm after just 2.5 hours of play last night convinced two other friends to buy on PS4!

DrArchon

Lucio is a beast in Arcade Mode. On my first game, on Route 66, I healed my team for over 12,000 HP.

Lucio is fun in arcade mode because you can pop your ult and watch everyone's health spiral out of control as it reaches infinity thanks to the double super shields.

Does arcade mode increase the boosts that his speed song gives too? I want to say yes, but I'm not sure. It feels like it though, which is even dumber than his crazy healing I feel.

My Overwatch experience so far:

Download 20mb, download error, download another 20mb, download error etc.

Wouldn't have been a problem if my disc drive hadn't chose until now to die, forcing me to download instead of install -_-

ZealousD

The reviews should be coming today?

"Overwatch is the most fun multiplayer fps game I've played in a long time. I will spend hundreds of hours playing it, more than any other game this year.

But no single player. 8/10."

There. I just summarized every review.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm really curious how the hitboxes of each character look, hopefully someone can make something like this soon with Overwatch:

CFLiPST.jpg

Learn from the best, Blizzard. CS:GO's hitboxes are very good.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Kind of hate the music. The title theme is already grating to me, and the location themes aren't much better. Probably the first total miss from blizzards composer team.

th3dude

hmm.. so I payed $47.99 on Amazon for the PC origins edition and I just got an e-mail saying I'm being refunded another $11 and change. Looks like the console versions dropped to $48 and maybe they made a mistake on PC. Horray!

Good points. I know that Mercy is supposed to avoid direct confrontation, and I struggle with keeping my placement good with her. Lucio is definitely easier to play, maybe that's why I'm better with him, haha

Pretty much. Mercy requires a lot of attention. Lucio can run around like a moron and just do whatever.

ZealousD

It's the insanely large hitboxes on the arrows. He's not shooting arrows he's throwing fucking living room furniture at you lol.

So if they just made the arrows bigger, no problem, right? Is this a purely visual thing for you?

Just got a legendary skin for Zarya. I had never tried her out before getting it so I figured why not give it a shot. Turns out she's a lot of fun! Bubbling people at the right time really pumps up her gun's damage. Same thing happened with soldier 76. Got his stunt rider and tried him as well. Turns out I suck at offensive characters, lol. Can't aim for the life of me. Had a mercy trying to damage boost and heal me when I was playing him and it just made me feel bad that they were wasting their time on me, haha. I love that getting skins for heroes makes me more inclined to try them out. That Zarya skin though....

350px-Zarya_Skin_Arctic.jpg

Love it! I'm definitely more inclined to the tank or support role though.

Axiom

I was playing Mei pretty much exclusively towards the end of Beta and hadn't touched Zarya once.

I still love Mei but man I can't stop playing Zarya now.

I don't really like first person shooters and never got into TF2 despite repeated attempts so the facw I completely love playing this is such a shock. The beta did so much to sell me on the game.

Beartruck

OK, is there consensus on who the best heroes are for Arcade mode? I really get the sense that some of the heroes there are just total bullshit (basically anyone that can make themselves invincible with a normal ability).

Seriously, that mode is a ton of fun, though I miss the random hero on spawn mode they had going during the open beta. That was a great way to try everyone out.
Mei is total bullshit on that mode. Just endlessly ice heal and it is borderline impossible to die.

Opened my level 9 crate, saw a legendary skin.

It's for Symmetra :(

From just watching and reading about Symmetra I thought she would be my least favorite character, however I forced myself to try her and I rocked with her in my first game ever to now she's one of my favorite characters on defense.

I want to get better with Pharra as she seems to be a good counter to a lot of annoying stuff but I haven't been able to get used to her mobility yet.

Quonny

Was super hyped. Loved the beta.

First six matches were complete stomps and I'm really not sure I want to fire it up anymore.

Bsigg12

I have no idea how Zarya works. I shield up, absorb a lot of damage and my gun still feels like a wet noodle beam.

Gotta keep shielding yourself and teammates. That gun gets really powerful right around 50-60 charge and at 100 it rips through everyone. Also her Gravitron Charge pairs nicely with Junkrat or Hanson or really any other characters who's super could basically be a 1 hit kill.

Kind of hate the music. The title theme is already grating to me, and the location themes aren't much better. Probably the first total miss from blizzards composer team.

Wow, I love the title theme and I don't think I've even noticed the location theme music before. Of course I've spent a fair amount of my play time as Lucio so maybe that's why.

DrArchon

I found Arcade Mode pretty boring. Way too much. Consistent melees where someone dies once in a blue moon.

It's a nice change of pace at least. I played a fair number of arcade matches just because I got annoyed at how quickly I was dying in normal matches. It's definitely not competitive at all and I'm glad it'll only last a week because I can easily see it losing it's charm after that.

Uthred

Do you want buyable loot boxes or having to pay for characters, maps, and modes?

That's a false dichotomy, loot boxes are certainly not the only way to monetise the game via micro-transactions and the alternative is not paid core content.

It's good in the sense that, as someone who doesn't intend to buy loot boxes, I don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage in earning skins. Allowing people to buy individual skins would make it more attractive for people to spend money because you're getting the "advantage" of being able to pick the skin you unlock. If you get loot boxes through the normal course of the game, you don't get to pick; you get skins at random. As a result, that system would incentivize gamers (who are already buying the game mind you) to spend cash as it provides an advantage in earning skins.

If you can only buy loot boxes, I don't feel any more incentivized to spend money. Purchasing them doesn't give any advantage other than speeding up the time it would take you to earn more loot boxes. It provides the purchasers with the chance of getting the skins they want sooner (and more than likely earning enough credits to buy whatever skin they want), while not providing an unfair advantage that aims to incentivize non-paying users to buy into the microtransaction system.

Buying specific cosmetics may make it more attractive for people to spend money, but thats because its a more attractive option and more importantly fairer to the consumer. Blind buying a random selection of items with various rarities (and even worse, no guaranteed rarity distribution) is pretty explicitly anti-consumer, just like it is in every other medium its used in. Talking about which offers a better incentive is missing the main point, which is, which offers a better return on money spent. Let's say I want a Mercy skin, if they were selling cosmetics I could pay, lets say, $10 to get it, with the current system I could spend $50 or $100 and still not get it or the credits to pay for it. Offering customers a good return for money spent may be an incentive to spend money, but generally a much smaller amount. Enticing people to gamble offers the publisher a steady return, especially for people who have an issue with it, while offering the consumer a terrible return on money spent.

Ultimately it is what it is, Blizzard arent going to change it and people who arent going to spend money wont and will get the content for free (which is what I intend to do as well, so no moral high horse here). But I certainly dont think it's a good system or one that should be applauded.

Feeroper

I picked this game up for PC, runs like a champ.

I am thinking of also picking up a console version (PS4 probably) - how does it fare on that platform? I assume it has a nice big community given the hype this game has. This would allow the gf to give the game a go as her PC cant handle it.

Also, for other PC users - I have my settings completely maxed out, but am finding that there is a fair bit of aliasing going on despite max AA - anyone know what the deal is (I'm using a GTX 980)? Another thing as well is that I have reassigned my keyboard control bindings, but I find after a few games, a few of the keys either revert back to the old binding or stop being recognized (chiefly among this is using RCTL for jump). Not sure if there is a performance thread, if so, then safely ignore this part of my post.

Apathy

I only got to play kings row once yesterday in 8 hours of playing, and it's a map I actually like, but that stupid Russian map like half my games.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
finally found a dps I enjoy, Reaper. dnt even care how edgy or popular he is, I like him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom