• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

vypek

I figured this out yesterday while playing, but during the entire beta I thought you had to shoot your teammates to get the effect. I feel so stupid. He's much more fun to play now.

Lol yeah it took me a few plays with him in the beta to understand fully how he worked. He is definitely a fun character to play

Uthred

i can't bring myself to define any cosmetic-only microtransaction system as "dodgy"

in this game especially since it's first person and you can't even see your own skins

I didnt want to overstate it and dodgy felt relatively mild, blind buy random selections are inherently dodgy. The fact it doesnt affect the game has no impact on its allure to consumers nor its "return on investment". Pretending like cosmetics dont matter to people seems odd considering both how many games are monetised purely by them and the lengths people will go to to get them. Also you can see yourself during the killcam and who doesnt want to look beautiful in death? ;)

So you want to pay for a game once and have unlimited updates given to you at no additional cost and no additional way for the developer to make money.

Like Diablo III? If only they were published by the same company ;)

brawly

Is any of the origins edition content already on the disc? I have two codes, one seems to be widowmaker skin and the other has to be redeemed on battle.net, so I'm guessing that one is for the PC content.

MUnited83

For you.
i can't bring myself to define any cosmetic-only microtransaction system as "dodgy"

in this game especially since it's first person and you can't even see your own skins
While I agree with you, you can see your skins somewhat in first person, and if you use a emote the game will put your character in third person. That plus victory screen and POTG

DrArchon

Don't put words in my mouth. I loved the beta but this was the entire reason I didn't preorder.

I just don't like supporting these types of monetizations. Especially when the loot crate system in the beta slowed down abysmally once your level started to increase.

I understand where you are coming from, but I just want to point out that the amount of XP needed to level up is supposed to cap at lvl 25 so it never reaches absurd levels to get loot boxes.

If that's still too much for you then I don't know what to say. I'm not gonna tell you how to spend your money.

StayDead

i dunno that's just super minor to me

i don't generally care about cosmetics in third person games either though

If TF2 is anything to go by it's not the fact you can see your obnoxious hats, it's making everyone else look at them that interests people :p

Klyka

Banned
People are spending more time talking about skins and lootboxes and monetization than on actually ranking up to get lootboxes and currency :p

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
That tutorial really is misleading for anyone going into the game fresh expecting every character to play like Soldier 76. It doesn't bother to tell you how each character has a drastically different play style from one another and how classes effect your health and damage. This and Battleborn are not doing a good job at teaching new players how to play these new genres. Blizzard should have gone the extra mile and made a tutorial for each character.

My first thought coming off the beta. Why each character didn't get a unique tutorial that both served to introduce the character's playstyle and skills while also providing background lore as to how they fit into this mythology is a misstep. It would have only served as that extra 'Blizzard' touch that they generally are known for and appreciated by gamers, particularly given the cast is a massive selling point and many are pining to know more about them.

As it stands, there are resources available external to the game, but some characters can take an extraordinary number of matches and motivation to properly learn. Hell, I would have had no clue that Junkrat could mine jump(sans damage) if not for NeoGAF. Even witnessing it occur by opponents would have led me to think it was a fluke that put them near death upon landing.

Level 11 and the number of skins I got for characters are: 1 for Genji (use), 1 for Zenyatta (use), 2 for Mei (don't use), 1 for Zarya (don't use), and 2 for Reinhardt (don't use).

This game is trying to tell me something, and I don't like it.

MGrant

Fuck Tracer when you're playing as Mei. But not as hard as you should fuck McCree when you're playing as anyone. They need to increase the cooldown on flashbang something fierce.

platocplx

That tutorial really is misleading for anyone going into the game fresh expecting every character to play like Soldier 76. It doesn't bother to tell you how each character has a drastically different play style from one another and how classes effect your health and damage. This and Battleborn are not doing a good job at teaching new players how to play these new genres. Blizzard should have gone the extra mile and made a tutorial for each character.
Yes the tutorial sucks, it should talk about strategy and tell more about what each type, attacker, defender, healer etc brings to a team.

People are spending more time talking about skins and lootboxes and monetization than on actually ranking up to get lootboxes and currency :p

It takes way too long to rank up in this game... I feel like I ranked up faster during the beta than the full game, and the loot box are far worse in the full game.

Super naive to just assume Blizzard wouldn't try to incentivise the sale of crates by making the drop rates more generous. I've watched people unbox like 100 paid crates today and I'd say 90 of them were substantially better than the ones I've opened.

Blizzard knows people will watch these streams and be encouraged to buy some after seeing that excitement.

As for the "would you prefer Blizzard make their money by screwing the community or gameplay?" that is a false dichotomy.

StayDead

Super naive to just assume Blizzard wouldn't try to incentivise the sale of crates by making the drop rates more generous. I've watched people unbox like 100 paid crates today and I'd say 90 of them were substantially better than the ones I've opened.

Blizzard knows people will watch these streams and be encouraged to buy some after seeing that excitement.

If it's anything like Hearthstone it's completely random. Seriously, RNG is a cow.

Fuck Tracer when you're playing as Mei. But not as hard as you should fuck McCree when you're playing as anyone. They need to increase the cooldown on flashbang something fierce.

Everyones got counters... even Tracer and McCree. But i get what you're saying. Esp. with McCree's bangs. A skilled McCree player is really a force NOT to be fucked with!

finalflame

Don't put words in my mouth. I loved the beta but this was the entire reason I didn't preorder.

I just don't like supporting these types of monetizations. Especially when the loot crate system in the beta slowed down abysmally once your level started to increase.

Why? Paid cosmetic items are entirely benign and allow the developer to make extra money, which allows them to support the game longer. I'd love to hear your logic on why you don't want to support them.

Interfectum

There's another weapon pack coming in about a week (or should be anyway, they said "May"), so yes?

They've definitely ramped down the content pipeline but the game is still strong in japan.

There is no plan to "ramp down" Overwatch for years so free updates forever without a way to make money wouldn't really work for this game.

zoukka

There's another weapon pack coming in about a week (or should be anyway, they said "May"), so yes?

They've definitely ramped down the content pipeline but the game is still strong in japan.

They would charge the players if they thought it would be a good business move. Also the budgets for these games are worlds apart.

Ranmo

I've literally been hit in the chest for 200 damage, that's not hyperbole, thats a one shot even on his screen

I wish I was recording last night. I was dueling a Hanzo and got close to him but near his side and he killed me. I was like wat.

In the kill cam I wasn't even in vision from the pov lol.

I do agree that his arrow hit boxes are a bit too generous. That is all though.

MGrant

Use your wall?

She's honestly not that bad, just when you're on a team with no high-damage characters. I had to switch to Reaper twice to take down this awesome Tracer player and was salty, that's all. McCree's not that bad, either, but getting flashbanged, respawning, and then turning a corner into another flashbang is infuriating.

BraXzy

People are complaining about cosmetic microtransactions now? I suppose we'd all rather get all the skins free but pay £40 for a season pass for all the maps...

She's honestly not that bad, just when you're on a team with no high-damage characters. I had to switch to Reaper twice to take down this awesome Tracer player and was salty, that's all. McCree's not that bad, either, but getting flashbanged, respawning, and then turning a corner into another flashbang is infuriating.

I think I'm going to start learning McCree.

As a Mei main, he's tough to deal with.

Uthred

So you'd rather them fracture the playerbase with paid map DLC than sell loot boxes. Huh...

Because clearly they are the only two options available

Why? Paid cosmetic items are entirely benign and allow the developer to make extra money, which allows them to support the game longer. I'd love to hear your logic on why you don't want to support them.

My main issue is with the nature of the monetisation not the monetisation itself.

Interfectum

People are complaining about cosmetic microtransactions now? I suppose we'd all rather get all the skins free but pay £40 for a season pass for all the maps...

It's morally okay to sell DLC map packs, wrecking the player pool though. Loot boxes are the devil.

DesuNe

Maps yes, heroes no. However it is entirely possible to be entirely free.
If it was entirely free then support would be thin across the life of the game. Unsurprisingly developers need money to continue and Activision need convincing to not just can this project a few years down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom