• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you explain how they are anti-consumer?

There is no compulsion or necessity of purchase. They are priced clearly. What you are buying is transparent. I will personally never buy one, but whatever.

CoLaN

Love the game, but the sniper classes are just weird, its too easy to be good with them. The hitboxes are way too big.

Lol dude go try and get your refund and stop shitting up the thread

Had a blast last night and got two POTG as Symmetra. Seen a good balance of characters getting it in the games I played. Not always Bastion or Mcree or something.

Mupod

I wonder if this is just a limitation of how it tracks the PoTG. Maybe it can only trigger based on kills.

From what I understand it's a point gain kind of system. Kill streaks while on a capture point are the easiest way to get them, but if you rez 4-5 people as Mercy that's an almost guaranteed POTG.

For example one of our last matches of the night, an enemy Pharah got a 5 kill with her ultimate on the point. At the very end of the POTG it showed the Mercy mass rez and conveniently left out the part where this allowed us to obliterate their team and win the match. So the Mercy rez was the 'actual' POTG but Pharah probably got more points because we were all standing right on the capture point.

I don't think it's possible for Lucio to get one outside of kills, Zenyatta's ult may only trigger it through sheer healing output.

kaskade

I can't wait for people to start wanting to utilize the team aspect a little more. Most people seem to want to play CoD mode right now and just pick all offensive.

It was very smart of Blizzard to put the little "no support hero" thing in there.

ebil

The last few games I played last night I, on a whim, started playing Zarya. And Holy ShamWow do I love her! The tactical use of her barriers, their cooldowns, and managing pulse cannon damage is a kind of crazy I love! Though it seems like it takes forever for her Ultimate to become available.

However, any ZaryaGAFfers have any words of wisdom with her?
I finally managed to play my first match ever as Zarya and I had a blast! Practice Range is really bad to get the hang of her.

It felt really useful being able to damage through absorbing damage and I liked her right click energy ball lob, that was useful to get rid of people sitting on ledges. I had a good Mercy on my team though, I don't know how I'd fare without good support.

Super interested in advice as well.

markwaters

Neo Member
I am trash with Genji's ult. Any tips?

1. Wait until you are in a good position and your team is engaging to maximize its usefulness, otherwise you'll just get focused down.

2. You can get a maximum 9 swings for 120 damage each when it's activated, but you should plan for around 8 and not worry about getting the 9th. Prioritize Mercy/Lucio/Supports, then anyone with low health.

3. You can still use Swift Strike to clean up and get around. Anyone you hit or pass through takes 50 and the cooldown resets if anyone dies. Once you activate, they swill scatter, so use this to chase their supports.

4. You can also deflect, but only do it if the incoming damage might kill you as it wastes precious swings. Once again, prioritize deflecting at supports -- unless it's Bastion.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just to be certain; no way to buy currency or costumes, right? ONLY loot crates/RNG?

Bittercup

A bit disappointing that you still can't save highlights. I had hoped this will be patched in for the release version.

Just got a play of the game as Widowmaker. So exciting.
I'm not that good at aiming and then usually don't dare to play sniper classes in games. I don't think I'm any good at playing Widowmaker either, but I had fun :D
Maybe I'll try to get better with her. So far I'm switching between D.va, Mercy and recently Widowmaker.

Selling cosmetics? I'm not particularly against microtransactions (I do think having them in a full priced game is a bit tacky), I just think loot boxes are exploitative and suggesting that the only options are either paid expansions or random blind buy loot boxes is a clear false dichotomy (a phrase which in the space of the last hour I have become thoroughly sick of typing)
fair enough, I thought you meant micro transactions in general.

X-Frame

Are there any good video or text guides/tips for this game?

I played very briefly in the beta and last night for a couple hours and only a few characters, but overall I'd love to learn more.

The Overwatch subreddit seems quite lacking in useful information right now as 75% of the posts seem POTG's.

Liberty4all

Banned
It's either paid map DLC that splits the community, no DLC at all but all cosmetics free, or the current cosmetic system. I'm willing to sacrifice free cosmetics with zero gameplay impact so we get free DLC maps and hero's and the community doesn't get split.

Kids are home from school rip any chances of getting a game where anyone cares even 0.5% for teamplay. Like everyone picks a carry and runs around randomly chasing kills in the thirstiest way possible.

Jasoneyu

From what I understand it's a point gain kind of system. Kill streaks while on a capture point are the easiest way to get them, but if you rez 4-5 people as Mercy that's an almost guaranteed POTG.

For example one of our last matches of the night, an enemy Pharah got a 5 kill with her ultimate on the point. At the very end of the POTG it showed the Mercy mass rez and conveniently left out the part where this allowed us to obliterate their team and win the match. So the Mercy rez was the 'actual' POTG but Pharah probably got more points because we were all standing right on the capture point.

I don't think it's possible for Lucio to get one outside of kills, Zenyatta's ult may only trigger it through sheer healing output.

ahh makes' sense.

Most the POTG i've seen have been mostly kill streaks.

vypek

this games achievements are absolutely insane...who came up with this shit lol

lol I saw the list and thought to myself that there is no way in hell I'll ever get them all and just be happy for the few I do get. I got the one for keeping the team off the payload for a full minute and in that games the achievement for getting a 20 kill streak.

The character specific ones are all tough and seem very lucky to me. lol

First game as Mei and there is a Reaper complaining about how Mei is total bullshit after I managed to kill him twice from half health with an icicle through the skull. Then proceeds to complain that turrets are bullshit because Torbjorn killed him once, then decided to spend the entire rest of the game hunting down me specifically because I killed him once again with Mei. And I thought I was doing pretty garbage that game, he was just worse.

Klyka

Banned
Nothing more fun than having an entire team chase your Tracer instead of going for the objective.

God it is fun being bait and shouting "YOU EVER GET THE FEELING OF DEJA VU????" everywhere

It's either paid map DLC that splits the community, no DLC at all but all cosmetics free, or the current cosmetic system. I'm willing to sacrifice free cosmetics with zero gameplay impact so we get free DLC maps and hero's and the community doesn't get split.

Exaclty! I think some just want to play avatar-dress-up-simulator 2.0 more than they do the actual game. Meh' to each his/her own!

First game as Mei and there is a Reaper complaining about how Mei is total bullshit after I managed to kill him twice from half health with an icicle through the skull. Then proceeds to complain that turrets are bullshit because Torbjorn killed him once, then decided to spend the entire rest of the game hunting down me specifically because I killed him once again with Mei. And I thought I was doing pretty garbage that game, he was just worse.

This I think will happen a lot until people learn the game more.

Everyone thinks everything is a cheap shot, it seems. But there are counters to almost any situation, people are just not willing to adapt by changing strategy or characters.

Moonkeis

I can't wait for people to start wanting to utilize the team aspect a little more. Most people seem to want to play CoD mode right now and just pick all offensive.

It was very smart of Blizzard to put the little "no support hero" thing in there.

I mostly play support classes and every time I feel like trying a different hero out, this message always makes me feel guilty. :(

markwaters

Neo Member
mccree has become my #1 target, every one who uses mccree seems to do the same flash and fan combo and it works so damn well, lol.

McCree is basically designed around the idea of being superior in 1v1 situations. He is supposed to win any situation where it's just him against another hero. His entire game plan is to catch players alone and out of position and use his skills to shut them down. He has trouble fighting multiple characters at once. Good teamplay and long-range heroes beat McCree. Don't engage him up close when you're alone. It's pretty easy to listen for him and avoid him if you need to.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Mercy is so good. Especially on the capture objectives game mode. Had a match with 7,000 healing last night

Mercy is awesome. This is how my first game went:

Jq7nrmg.jpg

I only won 10 of my 29 matches so far. Any tips on how to improve my game? I switch heroes based on the enemy comp but am not sure with which hero in which situation is best.

Maybe there's a YouTube channel that has decent guides?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom