• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

yo Reinhart. Why u so fun? One more for the roster

confortable with Mei, Mercy, D.Va, Zarya, Lucio, Torbjorn, Reaper, Symmetra, Zenyatta, Reinhart.

DPS stays losing but what can you do, its not my jam

Same thing with me. Try as I might, I'm just fucking terrible with the offense characters. Support + Defense are where my skills lie.

vypek

Must be me then. I always thought his main weapon was pretty weak.

There is a chance that you are running into people who know how to use him more effectively. If you land his shots he does pretty good damage for good range. Kind of like an all around hero.

From my couple of hours last night there are definitely more people seeming to use him. Had a match with a total of 5 of him in there at some point.

finalflame

Best thing about Mercy is you can stand around a Bastion and give him more damage and repair. So instead of 1/6 players turtling on defence it's 2/6.

A well positioned Widowmaker can quickly get rid of an annoying Mercy, and then go in for the kill on Bastion, too.

What are the best "bang for your buck" settings to turn down for PC performance?

Shadow quality and real time reflections, I think. My 780 exploded recently so I'm on my backup 570 and I'm running at a mostly smooth 60 with a mix of high/medium with low shadow resolution (lighting quality itself, e.g the amount of shadows, is still on high, so it looks pretty nice all things considered)

ExVicis

People complaining about cosmetic microtransactions that fund free gameplay content

6c3.png

It's fine to disagree but jesus dude.

Apathy

weird, the game said "team kill" but the opponents still had a d.va running around in her mech suit on the point i was killing

Gritesh

Yeah mercy really is a queen.

Last night I was reaper and the other team was pushing the payload. I teleported in behind the payload and used my ultimate to team wipe them easily the potg right?

Wrong.
Mercy who was above everyone on the rooftop was the only one left.
She ulted and resurrected the entire enemy team like a boss and they wiped us and pushed the payload for the win.

Yeah mercy really is a queen.

Last night I was reaper and the other team was pushing the payload. I teleported in behind the payload and used my ultimate to team wipe them easily the potg right?

Wrong.
Mercy who was above everyone on the rooftop was the only one left.
She ulted and resurrected the entire enemy team like a boss and they wiped us and pushed the payload for the win.

Yeah I feel Mercy's ult can change the course of a game like no other.

Best thing about Mercy is you can stand around a Bastion and give him more damage and repair. So instead of 1/6 players turtling on defence it's 2/6.

I had Mercy behind Dva on defence. That was fun. By the time Dva died here super was back up and ready to call in another Mech.

Zomba13

Tracer is soooooo insane in Arcade mode. Zipping and zapping all over the place, almost always at full health thanks to being able to go back in time and it being on such a short cooldown. Only issue is I feel my bomb should be sticking a lot more, like they seem to go through people too often instead of sticking to them...

pigeon

Banned
Yeah it's mostly the mech form I need to work on. Using the ult and then using her side arm feels pretty natural to me. It was just the idea of being defined as a tank but not really being able to do tank things that was throwing me off.

So it seems I wasn't too off, just got to practice that mech form.

Thanks for the in-depth response.

No problem. Fair warning that I might be terrible.

As far as I can tell, the job of a tank in Blizzard's view is not necessarily to charge or quickly engage, it's to be good at standing on the point. Which makes sense -- the tank's job in multiplayer games is generally to force fights, but everything in Overwatch is point-based, so all the tank has to do in order to force fights is go get the objective.

D.Va isn't great at quickly engaging, but she soaks up damage reasonably well, she does good damage at close range, and she has the mobility to get to objectives quickly. Her ult and her non-mech form both make her really good at contesting objectives. She just doesn't do Reinhardt things like walk forward through enemy fire all day.

Klyka

Banned
There is no "OP" character in the game.

There are characters whose tools work really well in certain situation or against certain groups of enemy heroes, but no hero is OP.

Yeah I feel Mercy's ult can change the course of a game like no other.

Won many a last minute clutch off a friendly Mercy zombie raise.... she's truly worth her weight in the right hands. As is every character really... stellar balance all around. I'm sure tiny bits will get tweaked here and there over the next year or so but through the betas and now launch it's damn near perfect.

Yep as soon as I saw that I had to admit it was amazing.

I started playing her the next match haha.

haha I love doing that.

"Wow, that person was really good with that character, I'm changing to them."

It's a great way to learn the game, and to understand all the characters.

abundant

As Junkrat, I am loving the strategy of placing a steel trap + landmine at flanking positions. Great way to take down pesky Tracers/Genjis/Reapers.

Mecha

So why is Hanzo so widely used? In the course of 8-9 hours I only had a few games where there weren't two on my team/their team or one on both sides.

nOoblet16

Lost a close game where the payload was literally 2 meters away and despite all of that 2 guys on the other team immediately started writing "EZ" as soon as the game finished...lol wtf? these guys,

RAWRferal

Crazy RNG on my first 5 loot boxes. 3 legendary skins (including one of the ice hockey ones for my boy Lucio!) Plus 2 epics! Bet if I bought them I'd get nothing but shitty sprays lol.

DrArchon

So why is Hanzo so widely used? In the course of 8-9 hours I only had a few games where there weren't two on my team/their team or one on both sides.

He's surprisingly easy to get kills with. He does tons of damage and for whatever reason he gets a lot of headshots easily with his arrows. That means lots of 1HKOs on people with not that much effort.

vypek

As Junkrat, I am loving the strategy of placing a steel trap + landmine at flanking positions. Great way to take down pesky Tracers/Genjis/Reapers.

I set one up in Hanamura and just waited around a corner so I could get the kill. I love the combo of the trap and mine. I never use his skill to jump. Just trapping and blowing people up together.

RefigeKru

Banned
I just lost a payload where I sacrified myself for a last push against the enemy team, actually almost did it too but my team was just sniping 10m away.

why u do that

Powerful single shot weapon, powerful ult. Arrow with hitbox the size of a telephone pole. And everyone wants that PotG.

vypek

For some reason I thought I heard he was hard to use. I haven't played him yet to see.

The game itself rates him as hard to use. Personally I agree that using him (effectively) is hard.

I'm not ashamed to say I had a play of the game where I was just randomly firing and reloading as Torbjorn. Turret got 5 kills.

Not sure if you can still do it but in the beta you could attach your traps to basketballs and launch them into players. It's hilarious

it'll track non-killing ults like mercy and zenyatta but seems to favor multi-kills more heavily

I'm sure it has an interesting weight to it. I've seen PotGs that only have like 2 kills in it.

hell, I saw one this morning that was a single kill.

Me, as Mei used my ULT to freeze that Egypt map with the control area that has pits around the edge of it. The only one I froze was a Reinhart. lucio pushed him off the map.

That was it.

abundant

I set one up in Hanamura and just waited around a corner so I could get the kill. I love the combo of the trap and mine. I never use his skill to jump. Just trapping and blowing people up together.

The best part is you don't have to wait around a corner, thanks to the on screen prompt that goes off when your trap is set off.

I'm still impressed at how polished this game feels, but there's a lot of little stuff I'd like to see improved or tweaked for quality of life's sake. Let me know if I'm just an idiot and missing something:

-I'm earnestly surprised that you can't save highlights yet. I guess I can Shadowplay the ones I really like, or something, but I shouldn't have to.

-As far as I can tell, there's no way to duck out to the hero menu to change skins/emotes and stuff between rounds unless you're actually matchmaking (e.g you can change stuff while waiting for a match, but not between actual matches) - it'd be nice to not have to leave completely if I feel like switching between skins.

-On a similar note, a random skin/random emote/random voice line option would be nice. I'd much rather cycle through unlocked voice lines than pick a specific one to hear over and over (except maybe "winky face"). Likewise with skins - especially as we all get further along and unlock more cool stuff, it'd be nice to be able to either 1. change at character select, like in League of Legends and other games or 2. just set it to cycle through unlocks at random per game or something.

-Some kind of daily or weekly challenge system to unlock a couple of loot chests would be nice, although I imagine at this point they're gating them only behind progression/dollars to keep people from getting everything they want too fast without paying. I imagine something like this will roll out after they've added more unlocks, if that's something they're planning to do.

-Something something tick rate

-Some more responses on that quick communication wheel would be nice. Maybe enemy callouts or some general "get on the point stupid" ones (heroes sometimes say this at random but it'd be nice to manually trigger) and maybe a general "good job/nice shot" attaboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom