• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExVicis

Goddamn this game needs a mute, A guy had his mic on so I could hear all his keyboard taps and throat clears and would not turn it off.

lol I saw the list and thought to myself that there is no way in hell I'll ever get them all and just be happy for the few I do get. I got the one for keeping the team off the payload for a full minute and in that games the achievement for getting a 20 kill streak.

The character specific ones are all tough and seem very lucky to me. lol

despite those being impressive feats, in the grand scheme of things they actually look like the easiest achievements to get hahaha.

One of my friends got a Reindhart achievement last night, and another got one of the mercy achievements.

mstevens

I'd like to get into this game, but not willing to drop everything else I'm playing for it which means I'd be very casual.. Which never seems to work well with these types of games. Hmmm.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yo Reinhart. Why u so fun? One more for the roster

confortable with Mei, Mercy, D.Va, Zarya, Lucio, Torbjorn, Reaper, Symmetra, Zenyatta, Reinhart.

DPS stays losing but what can you do, its not my jam

Apathy

Goddamn this game needs a mute, A guy had his mic on so I could hear all his keyboard taps and throat clears and would not turn it off.

It has one. well not sure about console but on pc it does. Press P to see the teams and click the little sound icon

What are some recommendations for new players? How does a newb immediately contribute. I see a lot of you all are frustrated with teammates.

gutshot

You can mute. Bring up the social menu (type O on PC, not sure what it is on console) and you can mute players from there.

vypek

I only won 10 of my 29 matches so far. Any tips on how to improve my game? I switch heroes based on the enemy comp but am not sure with which hero in which situation is best.

Maybe there's a YouTube channel that has decent guides?

There was a picture somewhere showing which heroes work well together and I think people had guides on who could beat who. If I can find it again I will post it. Also consider that you are doing fine with your picks and your teammates aren't switching well so you are losing to.

despite those being impressive feats, in the grand scheme of things they actually look like the easiest achievements to get hahaha.

One of my friends got a Reindhart achievement last night, and another got one of the mercy achievements.

The ones I got are easy or the character ones are easy? Things like blowing up 3 teleporters in a match or hitting someone with 7 beams seems hard. I have yet to even push a single character off as Lucio lol.

Mercy was healing enough people in a single life, right? I could probably go for that one. I don't remember the Reinhardt one at all

What are some recommendations for new players? How does a newb immediately contribute. I see a lot of you all are frustrated with teammates.

try starting some support characters because there is a good chance your teammates won't. Its hard not to contribute when doing anything from healing to slight damage or disrupting is useful since this is objective based. don't care about your deaths

There was a picture somewhere showing which heroes work well together and I think people had guides on who could beat who. If I can find it again I will post it. Also consider that you are doing fine with your picks and your teammates aren't switching well so you are losing to.

The ones I got are easy or the character ones are easy? Things like blowing up 3 teleporters in a match or hitting someone with 7 beams seems hard. I have yet to even push a single character off as Lucio lol.

Mercy was healing enough people in a single life, right? I could probably go for that one. I don't remember the Reinhardt one at all

try starting some support characters because there is a good chance your teammates won't

i.e. Mercy?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
ugh this day at the office is gonna go slow as balls

need Overwatch & The Flash finale nowwww

I only won 10 of my 29 matches so far. Any tips on how to improve my game? I switch heroes based on the enemy comp but am not sure with which hero in which situation is best.

Maybe there's a YouTube channel that has decent guides?

Overwatch Centeal is a good YT channel for hero guides.

SUPARSTARX

What is wrong with some of you people? You can level up to 100 in a pretty timely fashion and get all those loot boxes without paying an extra cent. You're likely going to get enough currency to buy whatever before that than rely on RNG.

Seriously. Go get dat refund boi.

And I love this game.

Tawpgun

People complaining about cosmetic microtransactions that fund free gameplay content

6c3.png

Uthred

Lol dude go try and get your refund and stop shitting up the thread

"Lol dude" try and keep up. I dont want a refund, I was responding sarcastically to the idea that Blizzard gave us the game for free. Which should have been readily apparent but I suppose not. I like the game, I dislike the monetisation method. OT's are for discussion of the game I believe? Though I'm done beating this drum anyway.

Can you explain how they are anti-consumer?

There is no compulsion or necessity of purchase. They are priced clearly. What you are buying is transparent. I will personally never buy one, but whatever.

I can and did. You can check the previous pages if you feel its worth it (its probably not).

You know what he ment. One with such high morals should be able to look past simple posting mistakes.

It's amusing that you keep trying to paint people who object this as absurdist moral crusaders, especially as anti-consumer issues are more a question of ethics than morals. And honestly, no, I dont know what the poster in question meant. So I took them at their word, that they think the game was free apparently or that we should be thankful that we got what we paid for? See, confusing.

Fuck are you talking about

I'm seriously asking the same damn thing? Like i literally don't have any idea how these notions are making sense in anyone's head.

Is it honestly that hard to follow? I was lampooning snowblind's post about how Blizzard gave us all the games content for free. It's almost as if I bolded the relevant parts (twice at this point). So I'd return your "Fuck are you talking about".

It's either paid map DLC that splits the community, no DLC at all but all cosmetics free, or the current cosmetic system. I'm willing to sacrifice free cosmetics with zero gameplay impact so we get free DLC maps and hero's and the community doesn't get split.

This is the reality of the situation, I do think there are better cosmetic systems they could have implemented but it is what is and I too am happy enough to get free map's and hero's. I'll also drop this "tangent" as its going in circles (apparently confusing circles for some posters).

pigeon

Banned
What's the best away to approach when playing D.Va? I have the ult usage down but my skill with her is inconsistent enough that I don't think I get her.

I never have had a problem fighting her, and find her easy to deal with, but when I was playing as her in my last game of the night I kept thinking I'd probably be better off just going back to my Winston lol.

Just trying to learn characters I don't play for the sake of knowledge.

D.Va's movement ability isn't as fast as Winston's or Reinhardt's, but it's 3D and you have control throughout. So you can't necessarily charge in, but you can use all the flanking routes and most aerial approaches, which is why people say she's a little bit like an assault character. Pharah has the most similar movement options to D.Va.

Personally I think the only reasons to play D.Va right now are her ult and her non-mech form -- if you can't utilize those effectively you may as well play Winston. The ult is very strong for clearing an area rapidly and/or replacing a damaged mech, and her sidearm is actually a very solid weapon. D.Va out of mech is basically an attack character with somewhat less damage and no mobility. Whenever you go in, have a plan for where you'll go if they take your mech out.

Klyka

Banned
A little story about how the game immediately recaptured my love for it in my second game last night after servers went live:

I was playing Tracer on Attack on the Russian map.
And as you all know on the very left from the Attacker start, you can fly over the water to get to a side entrance.
Now I looked at this and thought "I wonder if Tracer can blink over there if I am quick enough..." and I tried and.....made it!

And just as I thought "oh man awesome!" Tracer (because after three blinks she says something) shouts out "Wicked!!!" and it just felt so in tune with what I was thinking, that I couldn't help but smile from ear to ear.

They don't seem too bad? They'll take a while and a bit of luck but at least they encourage players to play properly and try out all the characters.

some of them seem impossible and depend all on luck

Get 3 killing blows while wall riding as Lúcio without dying in Quick or Competitive Play.
Get 3 solo kills with a single clip of Reaper's shotguns in Quick or Competitive Play.
Destroy 3 of Symmetra's Teleporters in a single Quick or Competitive Play game.
Kill 2 enemies with a single use of Genji's Deflection in Quick or Competitive Play.
Get 4 kills or assists with Zenyatta's Orb of Discord within 6 seconds in Quick or Competitive Play.

here are some of the more ridiculous ones

A little story about how the game immediately recaptured my love for it in my second game last night after servers went live:

And as you all know on the very left from the Attacker start, you can fly over the water to get to a side entrance.
Now I looked at this and thought "I wonder if Tracer can blink over there if I am quick enough..." and I tried and.....made it!

And just as I thought "oh man awesome!" Tracer (because after three blinks she says something) shouts out "Wicked!!!" and it just felt so in tune with what I was thinking, that I couldn't help but smile from ear to ear.

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing that!

There are so many neat little moments in this game. So unexpected sometimes and so fulfilling!

markwaters

Neo Member

Getting behind the first point on Volskaya is so fun; no one is really expecting it yet! Getting behind them with Widow is devastating. Split-pushing it with 2-3 mobile heroes while the other heroes distract at the choke is a real good strategy in quickmatch.

Palmer_v1

People are way too competent already at getting out of the way of D.va's self destruct. It's supposed to be free kills in the few days!

It's good as part of a combo. We had a Reinhardt knock 3 of us down at the same time Dva sent her mech in. We lost shortly after that.

I also find it's best to send her mech a little behind the enemy too, so they're forced to move into your waiting team if they don't want to get blown up.

I still only average like .5 kills per detonation though.

Uthred

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing that!

There are so many neat little moments in this game. So unexpected sometimes and so fulfilling!

The characterisation add's a lot to the game. I'd love to see them expand the lore with some kind of side-project/spin-off thing.

Shady859

Console mute is just pause and then social and pick the player to mute. I asked the same thing day 1 of beta when I was dropping to the players profile instead lol.

The worst thing Sony did was include that horrible mic that people are to cheap to upgrade.

Also is anyone else not finding games in the PS4 community? Last night it never showed any games being played.. Guess I need to add myself to the list or do we request to be added?

Arcteryx

It's good as part of a combo. We had a Reinhardt knock 3 of us down at the same time Dva sent her mech in. We lost shortly after that.

I also find it's best to send her mech a little behind the enemy too, so they're forced to move into your waiting team if they don't want to get blown up.

I still only average like .5 kills per detonation though.

It works best to combo it (ex: Mei), drop it from the sky, or put it right next to their spawn exit.

Liberty4all

Banned

Tracer is giving me Shadowrun teleport feels. Whole game actually.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
16 boxes (from level 16) and fuck all fancy skins. A couple or blue quality recolors and thats it ;_;

Ranmo

D.Va's movement ability isn't as fast as Winston's or Reinhardt's, but it's 3D and you have control throughout. So you can't necessarily charge in, but you can use all the flanking routes and most aerial approaches, which is why people say she's a little bit like an assault character. Pharah has the most similar movement options to D.Va.

Personally I think the only reasons to play D.Va right now are her ult and her non-mech form -- if you can't utilize those effectively you may as well play Winston. The ult is very strong for clearing an area rapidly and/or replacing a damaged mech, and her sidearm is actually a very solid weapon. D.Va out of mech is basically an attack character with somewhat less damage and no mobility. Whenever you go in, have a plan for where you'll go if they take your mech out.

Yeah it's mostly the mech form I need to work on. Using the ult and then using her side arm feels pretty natural to me. It was just the idea of being defined as a tank but not really being able to do tank things that was throwing me off.

So it seems I wasn't too off, just got to practice that mech form.

Thanks for the in-depth response.

Yes, I was a huge HALO 2&3 player. Loved it.

Didn't really play much TF2.

Halo wasn't a perfect example but if you enjoyed objective modes in Halo I don't see why you would not enjoy this? the aiming is alot like halo (no ads for most) movement is limited.

etc.

the games play out more like a chess match then a deathmatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom