• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinjoralo

If we're talking about the boxes, I don't like how many filler unlockables there are. It's kinda obvious how the buttloafs of sprays and profile icons are just there to make it less likely to get something good, without having to make the crates drop less often or have less items to get the same effect.

And why are you able to get doubles?! WHY?!

They would have to re-think his kit if they don't want him to be as useful, or else they might risk nerfing him to a rough state.
I wouldn't rethink his kit (or the flashbang). I'd slow his reload time, and take away the insta-reload that the roll provides. My feeling is you get six shots and you make them count, or else you likely die: The penalty for not getting the job done with those six shots should be death unless your situational awareness is high. This would make him a high-risk, high-reward, high-ceiling hero. Right now you can just spam fan the hammer back to back to shred stunned tanks, which is silly.

nOoblet16

If you want to argue that McCree is overpowered, it isn't because of his flashbang and alt. It's because of what nobody ever seems to talk about - his left click. In the hands of someone with good aim, a McCree will left click everything to death at mid-range. His long-range was nerfed a ways back but a headshot is still 70 damage, which is not insignificant against the squishier targets.

I don't happen to think he's grossly overpowered. He's a fixture in pro games because his style and kit happen to fit into every situation. He's the best anti-flanker in the game, and as such can protect critical teammates very well, and has a reliable mid-range damage output. There's never a time when you can't use a McCree, but that's because of his general kit rather than any of his damage values or whatnot. They would have to re-think his kit if they don't want him to be as useful, or else they might risk nerfing him to a rough state.

Yep this is true.
His stun+fan is good because it's suppose to be what makes him the best 1 vs 1 fighter...but his left click is what makes him even better.

And stun doesn't last long it is less than half a second !

BraXzy

People really don't appreciate supports do they :(

In a 7 minute game I had 10K healing and I was on fire for 95% of it with my ults and stuff. Commends all go to the Pharah with 15 eliminations smh.

Who are the best counters to Genji?

What is the best way to play in a party? I'm on the GAF list and have several friends online in game, but when I try to join them from the Social menu, I'm always put into spectator mode. What's the best way to actually get into a game with you guys?

I was getting killed repeatedly last night by a couple of specific players. I tried changing heroes to something that felt like a good counter, but was still getting owned by those same players. It seems like it's hard to tell if I'm not picking the right hero, or if the other players are just much better at the game, and it wouldn't matter what hero I choose. Know what I mean? Any tips there?

I went physical on PS4 and noticed that my controller settings from the open beta carried over. That's pretty cool.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

In a 7 minute game I had 10K healing and I was on fire for 95% of it with my ults and stuff. Commends all go to the Pharah with 15 eliminations smh.

I'm so sick of seeing damage blocked winning over a guy with 4 gold medals.

And fuck my luck, getting absolute trash from the boxes.

Are you playing with randoms? I find that with random people I never get votes as support but if I am with a couple BNet friends they recognize the value of a good support.

SenkiDala

Ahahahah, as someone who mostly play Mercy, I know what you feel. :D People just watch the emilination rate...

Squire

Banned
Why does D.vas self destruct have the fucking radius of Hiroshima

You're on the right mental track, blunt as it is.

Fly it in like a missile. Dash --> trigger the ult. She'll eject, but the mech keeps going, hopefully right into the enemy team.

I forgot all about this and kept killing myself last night.

What is the best way to play in a party? I'm on the GAF list and have several friends online in game, but when I try to join them from the Social menu, I'm always put into spectator mode. What's the best way to actually get into a game with you guys?

I was getting killed repeatedly last night by a couple of specific players. I tried changing heroes to something that felt like a good counter, but was still getting owned by those same players. It seems like it's hard to tell if I'm not picking the right hero, or if the other players are just much better at the game, and it wouldn't matter what hero I choose. Know what I mean? Any tips there?

I went physical on PS4 and noticed that my controller settings from the open beta carried over. That's pretty cool.

Anyone with a beam (Winston, Zarya, Symmetra, Mei) can be a counter if used properly against Genji since his deflect doesn't work against them.

Gotta play with a premade team to get that support appreciation.

bargeparty

I'm definitely getting some sort of micro-stutter. Even when just walking forward it happens. It's like I'm walking and then the "world" jumps a little bit.

Winston is Genji's nightmare fuel. Zarya and Roadhog are hard to deal with, too, though he can usually manage those engagements. Symmetra can be annoying if he doesn't see her coming. Ditto Mei, although he can usually escape if he's not dumb. McCree also trumps Genji if he knows to throw his flashbang at Genji's feet or sides.

Zeliard

I wouldn't rethink his kit (or the flashbang). I'd slow his reload time, and take away the insta-reload that the roll provides. My feeling is you get six shots and you make them count, or else you likely die: The penalty for not getting the job done with those six shots should be death unless your situational awareness is high. This would make him a high-risk, high-reward, high-ceiling hero. Right now you can just spam fan the hammer back to back to shred stunned tanks, which is silly.

Why is that silly? Zenyatta can nuke a tank even more quickly and he's a support.

McCree punishes the overextenders and the people who get near him without taking care of their surroundings. In the earlier post, TDLink complained about turning a corner as a Winston and getting flashbanged and blasted. Well, why are you turning random corners with Winston (or anyone but Reinhardt w/ shield up) when you don't know what's there?

Situational awareness can negate a lot of what McCree does when it comes to close combat. He also happens to have some of the loudest footsteps in the game with his spurs, so you should often be able to hear him coming if he's trying to flank.

Because gambling for items is pure fucking dog shit. Doesn't matter if it's in TF2 or Overwatch or Kingdom Hearts X or any other number of mobile games. It sucks. Yeah, it makes them more money because it prays on peoples addictions.

I don't feel like holding Blizzard responsible for people having no self control and spending inordinate amounts of money on loot boxes because they have an irrational need to own everything right away. I think the loot box system makes things more fun. If everyone could just shell out $5 to buy whatever skin they want, it would be much less exciting to me.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
If you want to argue that McCree is overpowered, it isn't because of his flashbang and alt. It's because of what nobody ever seems to talk about - his left click. In the hands of someone with good aim, a McCree will left click everything to death at mid-range. His long-range was nerfed a ways back but a headshot is still 70 damage, which is not insignificant against the squishier targets.

I don't happen to think he's grossly overpowered. He's a fixture in pro games because his style and kit happen to fit into every situation. He's the best anti-flanker in the game, and as such can protect critical teammates very well, and has a reliable mid-range damage output. There's never a time when you can't use a McCree, but that's because of his general kit rather than any of his damage values or whatnot. They would have to re-think his kit if they don't want him to be as useful, or else they might risk nerfing him to a rough state.

Agreed, I think McCree is in a good place. His left click is brutal if you can land headshots, which is easier said than done. He's sort of halfway between Widowmaker and Soldier: 76, which makes him viable at a lot of ranges.

Unfortunately his ultimate becomes less useful when you play against higher skilled players, since it's very easy to hide from, but if you can land a good ult from a flank it can be a team killer.

Anyone with a beam (Winston, Zarya, Symmetra, Mei) can be a counter if used properly against Genji since his deflect doesn't work against them.

Of course all my least favorite characters (except Mei). I find that Mei can't really keep up with him though if he stays out of reach. A good Genji player is really dangerous. If anything, I'd say Genji in the right hands is one of the better slayer heroes. I can't use him very well unfortunately.

Squire

Banned
everybody keeps saying every fucking character is OP.

If every character is, no character is.

Yep.

You love characters when you win as them, you hate them when they kill you. Reality is the game is pretty well-balanced out of the gate, which they have the beta to thank for.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
meh getting crap games in quickplay now. come back gaf, why did u all leave ;_;

Interfectum

Yep.

You love characters when you win as them, you hate them when they kill you. Reality is the game is pretty well-balanced out of the gate, which they have the beta to thank for.

"I just got POTG! I'm awesome."

"Of course that guy gets POTG, he's using OP hero... gg"

James93

I hope people realize how important support is especially when attacking shortly. It makes a huge difference.

I gotta say though this game is something else when you have a two balanced teams.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So imma jump in when I get home...

Are there any other characters I should absolutely avoid as a new player? Is there any method to trying out lots of different characters to get a feel for them at first? 21 seems super overwhelming to me!

Uthred

Are two of the same support a liability? I like playing Mercy but I'll generally switch if someone else picks her

I don't feel like holding Blizzard responsible for people having no self control and spending inordinate amounts of money on loot boxes because they have an irrational need to own everything right away. I think the loot box system makes things more fun. If everyone could just shell out $5 to buy whatever skin they want, it would be much less exciting to me.

You could have both, loot boxes for leveling up rewards (and the gambling element is a little fun) and then a mix of loot boxes and specific items for monetisation. That way you have the best of both worlds, the small thrill of getting something cool from RNG but with a fair return on your money if you want to save some grind time to get a costume or pose or whatever you like. Blizzard certainly should be "held responsible" for their monetisation options, they didnt include random blind buy chests to give players a little thrill. They did it for the same reason everyone does it, to take advantage of people who cant resist (whales) and to insure that lower spenders ("dolphins" and casuals) get a worse return or spend a bit more.

Loxley

Friendly reminder: Don't sit at your turret. Go and kill things with your shotgun, get scrap and distribute armor. It can make a huge difference.

Overwatch gives me so many flashbacks to the early days of TF2 - when Engineers would just turtle up next to their turrets and folks hadn't quite figured out how powerful a good Spy was at countering them.

MrBlonde

Does this have any co op against bots so I could play split screen with my son?

so torn on getting this, wish I played the beta!!

Zeliard

Agreed, I think McCree is in a good place. His left click is brutal if you can land headshots, which is easier said than done. He's sort of halfway between Widowmaker and Soldier: 76, which makes him viable at a lot of ranges.

Unfortunately his ultimate becomes less useful when you play against higher skilled players, since it's very easy to hide from, but if you can land a good ult from a flank it can be a team killer.

His ult is still quite useful as a zoning tool in higher-level games. It only costs 50% of his charge and he can zone a team out for 6 seconds each time, which is quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom