• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

markwaters

Neo Member
Is mcree worth learning.

I've only done soldier and junkrat so far but I love Westerns.

According to GAF, he single-handedly wins games 6v1 and is completely unbeatable, so yeah!

But seriously, he's an extremely versatile hero who is decent at medium range and incredibly good at close range. His flashbang skill combined with his alternate fire allows him to control 1v1 situations and take out flankers and heroes out of position very quickly and efficiently.

He loses to teamplay and ranged heroes, so you want to be hunting for flankers and people who are alone.

Soma

Man I love playing as Zenyatta. His debuff/healing playstyle in addition to his really solid damage output is just gelling with me so much. He's definitely a glass cannon but with a good team I hardly ever have to worry about getting hit a lot as long as I'm not out in the open too much.

There's also been a couple times where Transcendence has been clutch when capturing a point. Great character.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hanzo "lol arrow hitbox so op"
Mei "stupid freezing op self healing character"
Mcree "dumping the clip is op. And the ult is op"
Mercy "op heals and self heals and dash so op"
Zenyatta "discord orb too op"
Roadhog "self healing hook bastard too op"
Widowmaker "sniper too op doesnt even need headshots"
Reinhart "shield op charge op"
Genji "op shuriken op ult op reflect"
Lucio "op hair is too stylin"

Baston "lolBastion"

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lucio being so strong kind of annoys me because for me at least he's by far the most boring support to play. But he's also in many situations the most effective because of the extreme amount of healing he can put out just by being alive.

Not to mention how slippery and hard to kill he generally is. Can speed amp out of a bad spot and always is healing himself on top of being fairly mobile with the wall running.

Compared to...well, other supports. Zenyatta has no mobility at all on top of being free to a sniper bodyshot, mercy is the TF2-style target dummy everyone should focus, and Symmetra is mostly just super situational. Her teleporter loses a ton of value on defense if they grab the first point, on top of her not being much of an offense character. In comparison Lucio is never a bad pick, can't really be focused easily, and his ult can prevent so much bad stuff from happening.

That said Zenyatta is fun as hell so I will keep trying to use him to melt tanks.

Also one thing I found out last night with Mercy is that her shift can take you backwards. There is a setting where you can have the flight prefer your beam target, so if the beam person is behind you, you will fly backwards. I kept wondering why I would look at someone and jump back a bit instead of flying towards them.

Her ult compliments a lot of heroes, her shields are strong and when she gets fully charged she does insane damage. More people should play as her.

Yea I dont think a lot of people know how good her ally shields are. It disappears after 400 damage is done, but there's no carry over damage if the damage exceeds 400. If timed right, her shield can survive a D.Va / junkrat / tracer ult. Maybe others too but theyre super useful.

Zeliard

Also about the McCree thing, one of the reasons you tend to see him in pro games instead of Soldier: 76 is because those teams have a dependable healer and everyone has their role down pat.

S:76 is similar in a lot of ways, with the primary difference being that instead of superb anti-flanking, he's a surprisingly robust healer. Nothing about the guy's character design says that he might be a good healer, but he is! So in pubs you might have more success using him to supplement your support's healing if you find that lacking.

LordofPwn

just had an a-mei-zing moment with a perfect wall of ice / hook combo, catching a fleeing Mercy.

hclXLRDCOoKuA.gif

Is there any system to Mercy choosing to say her Ult quote ("Helden sterben nicht" / "Heroes never die") in German vs. English?

is there any way to tell whether it was OUR mercy who popped the ult or the enemy's?

english is your team, german is enemy team. every character has a friendly and enemy line for their ult.

Pretty sure I'll never be voted an epic. 20 killstreak even as well as all the support ones and nothing.

Thankfully there are no rewards tied to getting it, because it would make people salty as fuck or troll. This almost always seems like a "losing team all votes for the one person on their team on the list" award.

4 gold medals, Play of the Game, and you lose the vote to the losing team's Reinhardt for blocking damage.

Fliesen

english is your team, german is enemy team. every character has a friendly and enemy line for their ult.

awesome, thanks.
I thought it would be something along those lines, seeing as she did the quote in german when i died, but in english during the kill-cam (where team colors are flipped)

any comprehensive list on the friend-or-foe ult quotes? (without having to go through every hero page in the wiki)?

how are "medals" determined btw? absolute values? relative to your personal best? relative to other players on your team / within the game (i.e. person with most kills gets the gold)?

Haines

Banned
According to GAF, he single-handedly wins games 6v1 and is completely unbeatable, so yeah!

But seriously, he's an extremely versatile hero who is decent at medium range and incredibly good at close range. His flashbang skill combined with his alternate fire allows him to control 1v1 situations and take out flankers and heroes out of position very quickly and efficiently.

He loses to teamplay and ranged heroes, so you want to be hunting for flankers and people who are alone.

Thanks a lot. I was about to ask how to play him. After a game I can see what you mean.

I played Hanzo several times during the beta and it was almost impossible to hit anyone with him because everyone moves so fast.

They HAD to widen his hitbox targeting or he'd be unbalanced and useless.

The only other option would be to make everyone else move slower, but then you're changing the entire pace of the game for a single Sniper-style character.

Games with narrow, winding, zig-zagging, corridor type maps, like Overwatch, are terrible for snipers.

And Hanzo's special is just dumb. It's easy to see coming and easy to avoid.

Sucks be cause I thought he was such a cool character, in terms of his backstory and style.

Fliesen

I would 100% support a ban on multiple widows even in quick plays. shit ruins it for the team.

They could introduce some "maximum amount of sniper heroes" in pub (or ranked) games, greying out overly redundant heroes, but then - if your widowmaker sucks balls and you wanna counter some turret - you'd be unable to switch to that hero for just one life.

Dizzy-4U

You know, taking my time to go alone in private matches to learn the maps is actually paying off.

With all the mayhem going on, it was quite difficult to know where the hell everyone was.

I played Hanzo several times during the beta and it was almost impossible to hit anyone with him because everyone moves so fast.

The only other option would be to make everyone else move slower, but then you're changing the entire pace of the game for a single Sniper-style character.

Games with narrow, winding, zig-zagging, corridor type maps, like Overwatch, are terrible for snipers.

Sucks be cause I thought he was such a cool character, in terms of his backstory and style.
Hanzo is not bad at all. The key to using his ultimate is when everyone is bunched up in a choke point, or through a wall where they can't see it coming. Hanzo's are constantly getting play of the game with the ult, if it was faster it would be overpowered since it's an instant kill. Also he's quite accurate, you have to predict where your enemy is going to be when your arrow gets to them, so you aim ahead of them a little. Not to mention the scatter arrow is great for in closed spaces

Hanzo's ult can be game winning, you just have to position it well. Shoot it through a wall and make it so the dragon appears basically right on top of them and you'll always get kills with it. If you just launch it from across the map at the point and expect to get kills you won't do well.

Personally I love Hanzo to death and hope to god they don't touch him but if they nerf him than they should probably hit Scatter Arrow before anything else. When playing as Hanzo I really am not that scared of getting rushed down as long as I have a scatter ready and that may not be what they intend for a defensive-sniper playstyle.

jacobs34

It's amazing how much having a little map knowledge makes a different in games like this. Knowing where a health pickup is on the map can sometimes be the difference in a team winning or losing a fight.

God damn it, I am SO tempted to buy this game. It's giving me serious TF2 vibes and TF2 was my absolute favorite game when I was in college (and also the reason I joined GAF). I'm currently hopelessly addicted to Dark Souls 3 so I really think I might die if I buy another addictive game...

Fliesen

is there any way to know whether a map's gonna be Payload, Assault or Control before entering the game? (apart from knowing the map names = types)

I mean, you can always just repick your hero once in the starting area, but i'd like to pick the right hero from the get-go, so the other players can pick accordingly.

Hanzo is not bad at all. The key to using his ultimate is when everyone is bunched up in a choke point, or through a wall where they can't see it coming. Hanzo's are constantly getting play of the game with the ult, if it was faster it would be overpowered since it's an instant kill. Also he's quite accurate, you have to predict where your enemy is going to be when your arrow gets to them, so you aim ahead of them a little. Not to mention the scatter arrow is great for in closed spaces
Hanzo sucks and his ult is not instant kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom