• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zomba13

This is one of the saddest posts I have read

I dunno, I see his point. I'm against maps/characters buying because maps fragment the userbase and characters can lead to situations where the best counter to a character is behind a paywall. But I find buying cosmentics out right (or buying the currency to buy them in game) a better way because buying loot boxes (or random medals or keys or whatever in a f2p game) is just straight up gambling.

I'm not opposed to microtransactions and I'm not going to buy any boxes and this system obviously works well because multiple users in this topic have already bought the most expensive bundle. But I see his point of a purchase being "one and done" being better than the random drop gamble. Like if I could just pay an amount of money and get all the skins/sprays/poses/voice lines I want then I'd much rather pay $40 for that than $40 for a random assortment of things that might consist entirely of things I don't want or care about.

MrBlonde

I really wish I played the Beta, I am tempted to get this but not sure it will be my kind of game. I do love online shooters like COD and Gears.

I told myself to chill on games for a bit, I still game but not as much as I used to and still haven't finished Doom, Quantum Break and a couple others lol

B00TE

played around a bit on the PS4 version, first game I got to play Genji and reflected a Bastion players ult right back at him and killed him, haha.

Was on the PC version last night for 4 hours just doing the VS AI with friends who were new. Was fun teaching them all the various little things and synergies. Gonna be on quick play tonight, looking forward to it.

Man, I've been playing a bunch of Zarya and although I love her that Projected Barrier needs some kind of duration enhancement. It's hard enough getting the timing right, but I have to aim it at an ally with the finicky auto-assist. And unlike enemies usually my allies are behind me, so it's that much more of a nuisance to turn around and cover them in the middle of a fight. I'd be cool with maybe a panic button Projected Barrier that auto grants it to the closest ally by proximity or something.

Also that plasma cannon thing... I really want a third person mode so I can actually see how far it's travelling. For the longest time I tried to actually clip snipers with my shield up only to now realize how dumb that is.

Got my first ever Play of the Game as Mercy, Finished off 3 enemies who killed my pals, and resurrected my 3 teammates, do resurrections count with potg, or was that just a coincidence?

sora87

Amazon isn't shipping my copy until thursday so i'm watching videos of it now, The Story of Overwatch from gamespot is really really well done. I hope blizz talk more about titan one day too.

gutshot

Yeah but it's LoL.

It might as well not even count.

Not to mention it's behind LoL by a measly 500 viewers.

Anyway, I don't think I'm overhyping or overreacting to anything. I check Twitch nearly every day and I don't remember new releases typically overtaking all 3 of those games. They get up to top 5 or top 3 on release, sure. But number 1 is rare.

Plus Overwatch didn't just get number 1, they had 300k viewers last night. THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND. That is an insane amount of Twitch viewers. Obviously, it's not going to last, but I do believe Overwatch will stay in the top 5 for the foreseeable future.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Got my first ever Play of the Game as Mercy, Finished off 3 enemies who killed my pals, and resurrected my 3 teammates, do resurrections count with potg, or was that just a coincidence?

They count. I've seen a couple POTGs from Mercys just resurrecting 4 or 5 teammates without any kills of her own.

vypek

From the beta I only saw resurrection as a party if a Mercy killed a person or two along with it. The resurrections themselves seem to never become a play of the game.

EDIT: Nevermind. Apparently they count but I just haven't seen them yet.

Or you know, we can split the user base with every map pack/character released that you have to pay for. I'll take cosmetic microtransactions every time if it means it retains the largest userbase possible.

Very true, playerbase-splitting map packs need to DIE. But that's not to say Blizzard couldn't improve the cosmetic DLC system. Having a completely blind box system with not a single whiff of rarity just insures I will never drop a cent into the system.

Any folks on PC playing with controllers? Trying to decide between PS4 and PC, but I really don't want to have to sit at my desk every time I play on PC just to use kb+m. Is it viable? I'm never going to be a pro regardless, but I'd like to not feel like I'm getting rolled either because of my controller choice. Is there any aim assist to compensate? I've got an Xb1 pad and steam controller (Could hook up a PS4 controller too I suppose). I'd prefer it on PC for the price and likely more frequent, speedy updates, but the control choices might push me to PS4 if you can't enjoy playing it on PC with a controller.

Interfectum

Any folks on PC playing with controllers? Trying to decide between PS4 and PC, but I really don't want to have to sit at my desk every time I play on PC just to use kb+m. Is it viable? I'm never going to be a pro regardless, but I'd like to not feel like I'm getting rolled either because of my controller choice. Is there any aim assist to compensate? I've got an Xb1 pad and steam controller (Could hook up a PS4 controller too I suppose). I'd prefer it on PC for the price and likely more frequent, speedy updates, but the control choices might push me to PS4 if you can't enjoy playing it on PC with a controller.

There's no aim assist on PC so you're going to be at a severe disadvantage with most, if not all, heroes.

If you want to use a controller, get the PS4 version.

No. There's no aim assist with controllers on PC (like in CoD or Titanfall). It won't be a good time.

TDLink

I think McCree is the only character that is actually in need of some significant changes. His stun grenade lasts way too long and his Fan the Hammer does too much damage. Grenade stun and fan the hammer kills any character in the game. Just turning the wrong corner with a full health Winston could mean I'm dead from a Fan the Hammer. That shouldn't happen I feel.

Regiruler

On the flip side: it gives you plenty of replay value to get everything.
That is legitimate, but leads me to my other point: how are crates distributed other than level?

And if your early level crates are bad, because of the level expansion it will take you longer and longer to get new crates. The progression system in the beta felt really good until level 10 or so, and by 20 it becomes a drag with no other way to get new stuff outside of paying for it.

Bsigg12

Very true, playerbase-splitting map packs need to DIE. But that's not to say Blizzard couldn't improve the cosmetic DLC system. Having a completely blind box system with not a single whiff of rarity just insures I will never drop a cent into the system.

Well to be fair, they have the currency system in place already that allows you to buy anything you want. The issue with it currently is the only way to get those coins are dupes from boxes or actually getting a currency drop from a box. It seems like they could strike a balance between the boxes and currency.

BraXzy

Cut up your credit card and just play more of the game. ;P

Unethical? Are you serious here, or is this hyperbole? I'm genuinely curious, because just glancing at this thread it looks like we've got a whole bunch of victims who can't help themselves.

It's just cosmetics, with mostly "worthless" stuff like sprays, player icons or voice lines. With no guarantee that you'll get what you want.

If you waste money on that, that you'll eventually get for free by just gaining levels, you only have yourself to blame.

My bad, I wasn't being serious. I was responding to someone saying loot boxes are the devil sarcastically but peeps might have missed that.

DrArchon

I'm using a standard XBO controller on PC and it works fine. I had to up the sensitivity (which you can thankfully just do in the options) but after that I felt fine. Obviously I would be more accurate if I played with a mouse, but I hate using a keyboard for movement. I haven't noticed any aim assist except for support abilities, which lock on to allies that you're looking at.

Does COD do it on launch day?
While we are at it, what about something like Division or Destiny on launch day ? They probably didn't eclipse it but must have been close.

CoD games never do. Neither did The Division. I think Destiny eclipsed LoL for like like maybe a couple of hours. I expect BF1 to be the next one to do it.

Klyka

Banned
Oooh I got Mercy's imp skin. Time to try her out. I love healers.

"HEROES NEVER DIE!! .... for a price...."

That is legitimate, but leads me to my other point: how are crates distributed other than level?

And if your early level crates are bad, because of the level expansion it will take you longer and longer to get new crates.

XP needed for leveling stops going higher at lvl 25.

Arcteryx

And if your early level crates are bad, because of the level expansion it will take you longer and longer to get new crates.

The xp requirement caps @ ~25ish and then resets every 100 (essentially prestige mode).

Hopefully they add in other forms of crate drops (challenges or something).

Interfectum

No other way they are distributed yet but I bet they get added via dailies or brawl possibly.

They will use crates as a way to get players to do new things in the game, I'm guessing.

stay gold

Asked my GF to start the update while I was at work today. Came home to find the PS4 with the Overwatch beta app open and the disk in the console upside down lmao. It's the thought that counts I guess.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Leaving in 10!

PAIN TRAIN about to leave the station!

Sign up below to squad up, we'll start our first game at 12:45ish EST (half an hour to get ready!)

Requirements:
1. Microphone
2. Postive attitude!

All skill levels accepted. Jerks not accepted regardless of skill. You don't have to be chatty but I am!

PSN:
1. crophonso
2. dmaul1114

Leaving in 10!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still impressed at how polished this game feels, but there's a lot of little stuff I'd like to see improved or tweaked for quality of life's sake. Let me know if I'm just an idiot and missing something:

-I'm earnestly surprised that you can't save highlights yet. I guess I can Shadowplay the ones I really like, or something, but I shouldn't have to.

-As far as I can tell, there's no way to duck out to the hero menu to change skins/emotes and stuff between rounds unless you're actually matchmaking (e.g you can change stuff while waiting for a match, but not between actual matches) - it'd be nice to not have to leave completely if I feel like switching between skins.

-On a similar note, a random skin/random emote/random voice line option would be nice. I'd much rather cycle through unlocked voice lines than pick a specific one to hear over and over (except maybe "winky face"). Likewise with skins - especially as we all get further along and unlock more cool stuff, it'd be nice to be able to either 1. change at character select, like in League of Legends and other games or 2. just set it to cycle through unlocks at random per game or something.

-Some kind of daily or weekly challenge system to unlock a couple of loot chests would be nice, although I imagine at this point they're gating them only behind progression/dollars to keep people from getting everything they want too fast without paying. I imagine something like this will roll out after they've added more unlocks, if that's something they're planning to do.

-Something something tick rate

-Some more responses on that quick communication wheel would be nice. Maybe enemy callouts or some general "get on the point stupid" ones (heroes sometimes say this at random but it'd be nice to manually trigger) and maybe a general "good job/nice shot" attaboy.
I've the feeling a lot of that will come over the next few months. It all seems to obvious to include in updates

Keits

Developer
I think McCree is the only character that is actually in need of some significant changes. His stun grenade lasts way too long and his Fan the Hammer does too much damage. Grenade stun and fan the hammer kills any character in the game. Just turning the wrong corner with a full health Winston could mean I'm dead from a Fan the Hammer. That shouldn't happen I feel.

It should happen, though. McRee has poor mobility, takes a while to get into position, has routes he cannot take that Winston or other strong mobility character can, etc. And why wouldn't you expect a premier damage dealer to do what he was design to do?

You got got, and its a bad matchup. Thats the game.

I highly suggest anyone who wants to complain about any character just play as that character instead and FIND OUT.

Thanks for the replies folks. I really wish playing with kb+m didn't feel necessary on PC, but I understand why it would be.

I guess I'm leaning PS4 then... We'll see.

Asked my GF to start the update while I was at work today. Came home to find the PS4 with the Overwatch beta app open and the disk in the console upside down lmao. It's the thought that counts I guess.

Upside down? Sounds more like sabotage.

Uthred

Well to be fair, they have the currency system in place already that allows you to buy anything you want. The issue with it currently is the only way to get those coins are dupes from boxes or actually getting a currency drop from a box. It seems like they could strike a balance between the boxes and currency.

I think even a minimal trickle of currency would go a long way, at least then players who have issues resisting gambling on boxes could feel like they're working towards whatever it is they want. The could also probably bulk up the return dupes give you, it seems pretty low based on reports in the thread.

Interfectum

Thanks for the replies folks. I really wish playing with kb+m didn't feel necessary on PC, but I understand why it would be.

I guess I'm leaning PS4 then... We'll see.

If you are worried about content updates and future support, I believe Blizzard will treat the console versions as near equals to the PC. I doubt this will be a TF2 situation at all.

Volcynika

This is a dumb question, but how do I view the achievements for the game in Battle.net? Is it in-game or just in the client? I got a couple and was curious.

Ferny

If you are worried about content updates and future support, I believe Blizzard will treat the console versions as near equals to the PC. I doubt this will be a TF2 situation at all.

They've been supporting the Ps4 version of Diablo sans Seasons, so I believe it will be the same with Overwatch for sure.

It should happen, though. McRee has poor mobility, takes a while to get into position, has routes he cannot take that Winston or other strong mobility character can, etc. And why wouldn't you expect a premier damage dealer to do what he was design to do?

You got got, and its a bad matchup. Thats the game.

I highly suggest anyone who wants to complain about any character just play as that character instead and FIND OUT.

Nah McCree is the most used character in competitive play for a reason and sits on top of the tier list. He's very strong. Mei wishes she could do anything like that as easily.

Laputa_94

Nah McCree is the most used character in competitive play for a reason and sits on top of the tier list. He's very strong. Mei wishes she could do anything like that as easily.

Id believe that since I can just tear it up sometimes as McCree depending on the match by stunning and fanning the hammer.

Thanks for the rounds, XHitoshuraX and friends! Good times. Sorry for all the Lucio/Torbjorn swapping, they're my preferred right now. Hope I didn't drag us down too much!

Was fun to get a couple of matches in with you guys, just a shame I ended up having to dash after only a couple.

Stupid real life getting in the way of the real serious things!

Personally I'm fine with the random box model. Opening them is exciting and it makes skins feel much more special. I saw someone with the legendary Hanzo skin last night and the envy was real.

Especially if it generates more revenue than the alternatives and incentivises them to continue to make more content and support the game I'm all for it.

Also I think people throw around the term anti-consumer way to fucking much now a days. It's completely transparent what you are buying and how much you are paying so what about that is anti-consumer? If it's absolutely killing you that you don't have everything that sounds like it's your problem and not the devs.

Apathy

Personally I'm fine with the random box model. Opening them is exciting and it makes skins feel much more special. I saw someone with the legendary Hanzo skin last night and the envy was real.

Especially if it generates more revenue than the alternatives and incentivises them to continue to make more content and support the game I'm all for it.

Also I think people throw around the term anti-consumer way to fucking much now a days. It's completely transparent what you are buying and how much you are paying so what about that is anti-consumer? If it's absolutely killing you that you don't have everything that souns like it's your problem and not the devs.

At least the boxes aren't behind a 2 dollar key

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom