• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you go about learning the characters?

I didnt play the beta so figured I learn one of each class

What do you think about me learning these 4 characters first so i can fill gaps in a team when needed:

Offense: Pharah
Defense: Torbjorn / Hanzo
Tank: Winston
Support: Lucio/ Zenyatta

Piers

You won't be out healing actively incoming damage, but yes. Always useful.

Sure.
Was concerned because, from what I noticed, that without the amp the health bars crawl up and team mates typically just run to the nearest health pack thus saving time. (Although in that regard, I switch to faster speeds for that benefit)

I'm okay with Mei in general but it is utterly nonsensical that she can contest and capture points in ice block form. It's not even an ult but she can go invuln and grandstand an objective. It's ridiculous.

You can wait for it to melt and then melt her.

Pharah can hover, Reaper can go wraith, Reinhardt can shield, etc

What do you think about me learning these 4 characters first so i can fill gaps in a team when needed:

Torbjorn on defense and Lucio on support are basically can't-lose options. Pharah's high power, good element of surprise/escape. Winston's more of a disruptive tank than a damage blocker or dealer but his ult is pretty good at causing havoc

Sure.
Was concerned because, from what I noticed, that without the amp the health bars crawl up and team mates typically just run to the nearest health pack thus saving time. (Although in that regard, I switch to faster speeds for that benefit)

I tend to average around 30 to 40% of team healing when I play as Lucio.
Not sure if that says much about me, the character or my team!

Must be. People were noting similar things about the page on the website earlier in the thread. Are you experiencing this in game or on the site?

In game! Playstation 4 version.

It's weird though. I can understand the delay in career profile, but in the gallery? The items are there and I can equip them, but the game isn't counting them. It's not really a big deal, of course, just a slight nuisance. I do hope all my stats for my heroes are actually being counted though.

Shahadan

Game really feels like I'm playing PvP mode of a bigger game and I can't shake off the feeling of disappointment it's not more.
Many times I have ended a match almost telling myself "okay that's enough of that, let's do a bit of PvE now....oh."

You can wait for it to melt and then melt her.

Pharah can hover, Reaper can go wraith, Reinhardt can shield, etc
Pretty sure reaper doesn't keep capturing when in Wraith, and neither pharah nor Reinhardt become invuln. The issue is while Mei is invuln and contesting it gives her team plenty of time to catch up, so you then become distracted with them and she does some freeze bullshit.

People are really sleeping on Wintson though. If they have a lot of flimsy characters, you can jump right in and wreak havoc.

Klyka

Banned
My "one hero a day" gamestyle will continue today with Reaper!

I can't wait to be a useless 12 year old and shout "DIE DIE DIE" all day!

Sure.
While that's sorta true, that's a passive heal on all allies in your vicinity ehile you're still taking potshots at the enemy yourself. Compare it to mercy, who, while her heals are great and sustained, they are targeted and require you to do nothing else.

Rize_21

well something worse than Mei and her iceblock form is Reaper in ghost form able to take health packs...that's just rage inducing.

So, I think I've got a good grasp on the "Pub meta".

1. Bastion/Torbjorn - Because most people can't even hit a stationary target.
2. Mercy - You'll need her ult for when your team all dies to Hanzo... again.
3. Junkrat - Aiming is for chumps. Also, martyrdom is good against Genji.
4. Mei - Watch as your enemies fail to notice they are being frozen!
5. Hanzo - RYUU WA GA TEKI KURAU

From level 0 to 14, these are the legendaries I unlocked. Phone pics because I'm having problems taking pics through Xbox One.

tLJg6P3.jpg

XTPHWGR.jpg

ChdCDBf.jpg

05GAC0n.jpg

Ambient80

Blizzards story writing is embarrassing drivel but their quips and auto callouts are fantastic. It's always an enormous boost to the charm of their games.

Right? Haha

If you kill Pharah as Zen while she's doing her ultimate, he says "Justice is in the eye of the beholder." I wonder if the two of them have some sort of history? He almost sounded angry when saying it.

Trickster

well something worse than Mei and her iceblock form is Reaper in ghost form able to take health packs...that's just rage inducing.

Eh, I find Mei way more frustrating. A reaper stealing a health pack is a rare occurence for me. A Mei going into iceblock and either healing to full or canceling the iceblock quickly and freezing me because I took the chance to reload in anticipation that Mei would come out of the iceblock with full health after 4 seconds is infinitely more frustrating.

Fliesen

I'd go with Reinhard over Winston. ... or - it depends on the map, Reinhard for payload, Winston for control point capturing, i suppose.

EVERYBODY loves having a Lucio around. For the speedboost and the fat beats alone.

Becoming good with Pharah should really pay off, because people (including myself) keep forgetting to look up. So if you work on your verticality / hovering / knowing which ledges / rooftops provide a tactical advantage, that should yield some satisfying results.

HiiiLife

I know it's a new game and people want that offensive rush of TRYING (I say this because majority I've partied up with are offensive characters who suck) to go positive and play like CoD. It's shitty being the only support on a team full of Reapers and McCree. PTFO dammit.

And blizzard can kick rocks for letting my Lucio / Mercy be unsung heroes. Play of the game should def go to a full team revive to pull in that close win lol

Fliesen

I know it's a new game and people want that offensive rush of TRYING (I say this because majority I've partied up with are offensive characters who suck) to go positive and play like CoD. It's shitty being the only support on a team full of Reapers and McCree. PTFO dammit.

And blizzard can kick rocks for letting my Lucio / Mercy be unsung heroes. Play of the game should def go to a full team revive to pull in that close win lol

i've totally seen that happen.

Right? Haha

If you kill Pharah as Zen while she's doing her ultimate, he says "Justice is in the eye of the beholder." I wonder if the two of them have some sort of history? He almost sounded angry when saying it.
Not sure about that pair up specifically, but many of the characters pretty explicitly discuss their history, and the goings on of the world around them. Tracer will express her sadness to zen about the death of mondatta, the omnic from the alive short. Genii pleasantly discusses their relationship as teacher and student. It's adds so much warmth and fun interplay to the game.

jediyoshi

Legendaries or just any skins? I've gotten a couple of skins at level 15, but still not a single legendary lol ( this is also counting the beta where I was level 20 something.... )

Not sure what the loot quality names are, one symmetra purple and a reaper blue.

i join a game and 5 secs later we lose... how is this fair ?
How is it unfair? You got xp, nothing was asked of you, and you were in no way punished for the loss. (You never are)
Not sure what the loot quality names are, one symmetra purple and a reaper blue.
Common white, rare blue, epic purple, and legendary orange. The legend weird are the ones that are more than a redo loud, but a full on new atheistic take on the hero, with a new mesh. A couple even alter voice lines.

HiiiLife

i've totally seen that happen.

I've just been unlucky. I have so much fun using mercy and Lucio with the speed boosts and revives, but when you don't get nominated at the end of the match....feelsbadman.

I'm going elsewhere. Where medics are cherished.

Piers

While that's sorta true, that's a passive heal on all allies in your vicinity ehile you're still taking potshots at the enemy yourself. Compare it to mercy, who, while her heals are great and sustained, they are targeted and require you to do nothing else.

That's true, he can actually dole out the damage while being supportive.
For the most part I stuck to using speed until the amp is ready, then use that with healing.

HiiiLife

Does road hog have the most health. No joke I used Reinharts ultimate. He fell down. Used my projectile then dashed/pinned him to the wall. Hammer swiped twice and dude blasted me away with his hook/shotty combo lol.

Is there some kind of road map of what Blizzard are planning to do with OW?
Competitive mode planned to be patched in mid to late June. Besides that, no announced plans for additional content. There are subtle suggestions of additional characters, but when, if, how many, are all mysteries.

Vinter

Damn, this game is so good!

Had a really great run with randoms today too. Seems like more people are starting to use different characters. Sadly I had to reject an invitation to play with some gaffers because I have to go to work :( I need the weekend to get here!

There are some sort of metrics going on that the game calculates. I've definitely had full team revives get POTG, usually when my teammates then turn around and crush the enemy team in response. I've also gotten it as Lucio by dropping his Ult in the middle of something like Hanzo's Dragon to keep all my teammates alive.

Ambient80

Not sure about that pair up specifically, but many of the characters pretty explicitly discuss their history, and the goings on of the world around them. Tracer will express her sadness to zen about the death of mondatta, the omnic from the alive short. Genii pleasantly discusses their relationship as teacher and student. It's adds so much warmth and fun interplay to the game.

Yeah I heard that one last night. Pretty cool!

Also 76 asks Reaper "I thought you were dead?" He replies "Didnt stick." At least I think it was those two lol.

Also 76 asks Reaper "I thought you were dead?" He replies "Didnt stick." At least I think it was those two lol.

We had two tracers on our team last night that spoke to each other about the harness breaking or something, it was kinda cool!

Actually, Reaper says "Didn't take."

Also, Mei complimenting Winston and Winston being all taken aback is so sweet.

Great moment last night. Playing D.Va and Reinhardt did the tackle move on me on Ilios and took us both over he ledge. When he let go of me I just hit my boosts and flew back to safety while Reinhardt fell to his death.

HiiiLife

There are some sort of metrics going on that the game calculates. I've definitely had full team revives get POTG, usually when my teammates then turn around and crush the enemy team in response. I've also gotten it as Lucio by dropping his Ult in the middle of something like Hanzo's Dragon to keep all my teammates alive.

That's awesome. Anything regarding a support character getting POTG is fine with me.

Still waiting to witness a 6 kill ITS HIGHNOON online though.

grimmiq

Is Pharah designed for M+KB? To hover in the air I need to shoot with R2, Aim with Right stick, and Hover with X...3 things to do at the same time on the right side of the controller seems fucking stupid.

Xater

Is Pharah designed for M+KB? To hover in the air I need to shoot with R2, Aim with Right stick, and Hover with X...3 things to do at the same time on the right side of the controller seems fucking stupid.

You can hover with L2. It works without issue on a pad.

HiiiLife

Entire game is designed for M+KB lol.

I'm assuming. I feel behind the curve on Xbox.

Matt Frost

L2 works for jumping and hovering in the air as well, and works better than the X button

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom