• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

ill just leave this here
tumblr_o7ptr3rQ0l1td1l6do1_1280.png

Should be Reaper as he's literally Anonymous

For Mercy to revive fallen team mates, does she need to be in the general vicinity of the downed player or not? Sometimes I see people die in a fight but am too far away to revive.

When your ult is up, the ingame, hud tells you how many fallen teamates are near you so you can use that as a guage too see if you're too far.

Piers

Which hero do you think has the steepest learning curve? Genji and Hanzo seem up there. Zarya is good even if you aren't good at keeping up her energy boost but timing everything is tricky.

And then there's Winston, who technically isn't hard to be. However, I find myself never knowing when to jump in because my teammates do not wish to ever back me up.

Any that require some proper aiming imo: McGree, Tracer, Hanzo and Genji waste so many shots which puts players in more jeopardy than they realise.

Sifl

I don't think Mei is as annoying as some people think, but sometimes the person playing her does so in a very... counter productive way. Had a match where we were at 99% on a point, while other team was 80 ish and our team got wiped. I quickly used Lucio's speed boost to get us back to it and I was the first person there and was getting focus fired. All of a sudden a red ice wall comes up in front of me while I had 20ish hp and gives me cover and a chance for my amp up to come off cooldown. We won.

Does anyone know how to get the XBOX Live control panel working for this (and any Blizzard game really)? I wanted to use that to record some highlights but can't get it to recognize Overwatch as a game and the shortcut doesn't work.

mbpm1

It already exists. It's called Tiger & Bunny.

I like Tiger and Bunny, but not even close imo.

I don't think Mei is as annoying as some people think, but sometimes the person playing her does so in a very... counter productive way. Had a match where we were at 99% on a point, while other team was 80 ish and our team got wiped. I quickly used Lucio's speed boost to get us back to it and I was the first person there and was getting focus fired. All of a sudden a red ice wall comes up in front of me while I had 20ish hp and gives me cover and a chance for my amp up to come off cooldown. We won.
I watched a game where someone raised an ice wall and trapped half his fleeing team behidn it and the most essential half in front of it, leacing the half behind it to immediately get massacred by enemy fire.

It made POTG.

I really like this game. Most fun I've had with a FPS since Team Fortress 2. Character design, range of classes, mechanics, balance and art style are all great. However there are some faults. I think the maps are a little forgettable and would personally prefer a little more control over which maps I play. I'd have also appreciated more information for how characters play in-game. For example, Zenyatta and Lucio in-game skill descriptions make no sense and I had to watch Youtube videos. Also had a few instances of joining matches that ended within 30 seconds of entering.

As a dirty Teemo player, I've been having a lot of fun as Mei and Symmetra. I like their unique combat options and the definite rage they cause. However they both struggle in choke points with long range opponents (Bastion/turret/snipers). Anybody have suggestions that fit into my playstyle?

I was considering D.Va.

Ferrio

Banned
This might be the case, but it's still the only ult that does damage and has no warning that it's incoming until it's started happening one off exceptions aren't good. I say this a Dota player and that game is chock full off hand exceptions.

It's low damage, low aoe range, and does have a warning startup. I don't see the issue.

I am very much of the opinion that ults should not be necessary to counteract other characters ults. I can clear out Symmetra defenses with basically any damage ult it's excessive. Even Junkrat and Pharrah struggle handling it. They both become very vulnerable hunting those setups down.Especially when you're first time seeking it out there's a good chance you're going to die unless you're a tank. We're back to the issue of what are you doing moving around as a tank clearing that kind of thing out.

It's not the only solution, just listed off one.

As for moving behind the tank... use different routes or use her teleport to just dash past everyone. She can also cross gaps that are impossible most characters giving her more options to flank people.

Tracer a character that's only as good as your map knowledge.

Moonlight

Banned
Winston is super fun, actually. Swapped to him on a whim and was really surprised how entertaining it is to just be a total nuisance in the middle of enemy groups and scaring the shit out of their squishies (then leaping back out again).

Man I love charging a dva ultimate with reinhardt and getting it out of the way, saving everyone. I feel like such a hero. :p
Just use your barrier and get everyone behind you instead!

Interfectum

I'm having an issue on console version where I'm not able to calibrate my screen.... Why isn't there an option for that?

I had to do it in my PS4 settings.

Thinking of that, you can tell the console version is like a direct recompile of the PC version. There are so many "PC game" elements on the PS4 version, even the text is hard to read sometimes.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Man I love charging a dva ultimate with reinhardt and getting it out of the way, saving everyone. I feel like such a hero. :p

Yep. Even better is when you pull of getting one blocked into a corner of an objective room and don't even die yourself. :D

Voorhees

Any that require some proper aiming imo: McGree, Tracer, Hanzo and Genji waste so many shots which puts players in more jeopardy than they realise.

McGee? Proper Aiming? Hell naw, just let me get close then I'm fanning six shots in your face.

In all seriousness though I don't recall ever seriously using his primary (single shot) firing method.

I am giddy that there's finally a game that lets me imagine I'm Roland from the Dark Tower series.

ViviOggi

Well yeah, but the range isn't great either. I think something should be done to it. I posted a few pages back about the tesla being slightly underpowered imo. Winston in general feels weird / ineffective somehow.

Apparently he's being spammed in comp OW right now, and while the scene is still in its infancy that's the most high level play we got right now. His primary job is not to kill, but to disrupt fights and jump backliners - to balance out his crazy mobility as a high health hero he gets the worst tanking tool and a crappy weapon. It still hits the sweet spot of rekting unprotected snipers and gung-ho flankers and also targets multiple enemies in larger battles, so overall he's pretty balanced imo.

I had to do it in my PS4 settings.

Thinking of that, you can tell the console version is like a direct recompile of the PC version. There are so many "PC game" elements on the PS4 version, even the text is hard to read sometimes.

I played the beta on ps4 and I remember getting a prompt when I started to do it... Now I'm playing on Xbox, have no prompt, and don't think there's much I can do in the Xbox settings.

Dreavus

Which hero do you think has the steepest learning curve? Genji and Hanzo seem up there. Zarya is good even if you aren't good at keeping up her energy boost but timing everything is tricky.

And then there's Winston, who technically isn't hard to be. However, I find myself never knowing when to jump in because my teammates do not wish to ever back me up.

I think it's Genji. It feels like he is either amazing or useless depending on who's playing, with no in between lol.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I don't understand the complaints about team comps. I almost never see a team without at least one of Mercy/Lucio, and I almost never see stacking. When I do, it's stacking that makes sense.

Maybe it's because I'm going in with full groups mostly?

I had a string of games last night where my team was always well balanced. The team victory screens were just perfect examples of team construction. Made me smile. No talking or communication of any kind, either. I credit the helpful "no tanks" or "no support" hints at the side. They're simple, but I think effective. Definitely made me switch several times.

but healers are definitely underused. I go Z when nobody wants to heal.

mbpm1

McGee? Proper Aiming? Hell naw, just let me get close then I'm fanning six shots in your face.

In all seriousness though I don't recall ever seriously using his primary (single shot) firing method.

I am giddy that there's finally a game that lets me imagine I'm Roland from the Dark Tower series.

When he gets caught out of range that doesn't work so well though. And he can get screwed if he's caught with his pants down without bullets or reload up close too.

Can be tough.

But fun

I bit the bullet and posted my battletag on reddit and joined a player with 4 of his friends. Had the best couple of matches since getting the game. It really is night and day the effectiveness of playing with a stack rather than yourself.

Timeaisis

Yeah, Mei can do more harm than good with that ice wall sometimes for sure. Gotta know when to throw it out. I think it's better for movement blocking crowd control than putting up to defend against shots. She can isolate enemies really well if they get too aggressive. She pairs with some heroes really well that way. Roadhog can yank an enemy toward him and then Mei can icewall right in front so that there's no escape route and the enemy team can't help. Super fun stuff.

When he gets caught out of range that doesn't work so well though. And he can get screwed if he's caught with his pants down without bullets or reload up close too.

Can be tough.

But fun

Doesn't any DPS get screwed when they're out of resources/in the middle of reloading? He can roll to reload and no one survives FtH, roll, FtH. You don't even need the stun if you have moderate aim.

It's low damage, low aoe range, and does have a warning startup. I don't see the issue.

It's not the only solution, just listed off one.

As for moving behind the tank... use different routes or use her teleport to just dash past everyone. She can also cross gaps that are impossible most characters giving her more options to flank people.

Tracer a character that's only as good as your map knowledge.

400 damage is not low by any measure.

So I had ignored pretty much everything about this game but came into the OT to see what it actually is. This is like Team Fortress 2 right? Teams of different characters with different skills, switch between characters on the fly, multiples of each character on each team?

People seem to be going crazy over this, I don't play a lot of online competitive games but I'd be interested in seeing how this is.

It's definitely TF2 similar.

Just distilled fantastic gameplay. Blizzard struck an amazing balance between the characters that has opened up a lot of room for discussion on competitive strategies, tricks and tips. But the game also has a twitch element to it that throws that shit right out of the window when 10 people are crammed on top of a point.

There's no K/D screen at the end where people can rag on the lowest few people and hurl insults or whatever. There's just a 4 person sort of MVP that comprises the top of both teams. Some games you kick major ass but someone just kicked a little bit more ass than you and you're not up there. So, if you're worried about sucking, its anonymous enough that it doesn't really matter.

Meanwhile, on my lunch break, I had an Overtime that lasted nearly 10 minutes. It was absolutely insane. Both sides had Lucios pumping the speed boost to get back. Both sides were at 99% control, so whoever could keep the other team off for just a few seconds would win.

...We lost. But damn if that didn't feel like a win anyway. Got the Reaper achievement for killing 4 with one ult.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I just love flying to people with Mercy, makes it harder for the enemy to hit me too, flying from one teammate to another lol.

ViviOggi

Flashbang double 420 combo is so busted that any dumpster clown can wreck faces with le balanced cowboy. But the good McCrees will also mess you up you with long range left clicks and not show up post-game with 100% Fan the Hammer kills.

mbpm1

Doesn't any DPS get screwed when they're out of resources/in the middle of reloading? He can roll to reload and no one survives FtH, roll, FtH. You don't even need the stun if you have moderate aim.

The rollolol combo is good, but I was referring more to multiple opponents.

Voorhees

Flashbang double 420 combo is so busted that any dumpster clown can wreck faces with le balanced cowboy. But the good McCrees will also mess you up you with long range left clicks and not show up post-game with 100% Fan the Hammer kills.

I don't disagree at all. Just haven't mastered that part of it yet. I bought the game based on reading this thread and have only really played for a good 90 minutes, half of which were spent playing with Mercy and trying out other characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom