• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timeaisis

Which hero do you think has the steepest learning curve? Genji and Hanzo seem up there. Zarya is good even if you aren't good at keeping up her energy boost but timing everything is tricky.

And then there's Winston, who technically isn't hard to be. However, I find myself never knowing when to jump in because my teammates do not wish to ever back me up.

MGrant

What are other people's 'This is going bad, I'll switch to ____' heroes?

If there's an enemy Reaper or Mei causing trouble, Pharah.
If my team is heavy on slow heroes, I choose Lucio.
If we've got lots of medium-speed, mid-range heroes (Soldier 76, Junkrat, Reaper, McCree) I'll go Mercy.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So I had ignored pretty much everything about this game but came into the OT to see what it actually is. This is like Team Fortress 2 right? Teams of different characters with different skills, switch between characters on the fly, multiples of each character on each team?

People seem to be going crazy over this, I don't play a lot of online competitive games but I'd be interested in seeing how this is.

friendly mercy says "heroes never die"
enemy says it in german

same thing for every other ult

"ive got you in my sights" =enemy 76
"tactical visor activated" = friendly

russian zarya speech = enemy
english = friendly

waga no teku etc = enemy hanzo
"let the dragon consume you" = friendly

japanese scream from genji = enemy
"let the dragon become you" = friendly

"nerf this" = enemy dva
"activating self destruct sequence" = friendly

"fire in the hole" = enemy junkrat
"ladies and gentlemen, start your engines!" = friendly

its like this for every single char

What's McCree's when he's on your team? I've never paid attention

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Do we all agree that a healer is pretty much mandatory in every game? Or am I an asshole for getting mad when nobody heals?
And yes, I do end up switching to a mercy after a few; just wish it wasn't always me having to do it

mbpm1

So I had ignored pretty much everything about this game but came into the OT to see what it actually is. This is like Team Fortress 2 right? Teams of different characters with different skills, switch between characters on the fly, multiples of each character on each team?

People seem to be going crazy over this, I don't play a lot of online competitive games but I'd be interested in seeing how this is.

It's TF2 with waifus and cooldowns.

Well made and tested though. And fresh feeling

Is mercy's pistol the lowest damage weapon in the game? I've had some success with it so I'd like to know how proud should I be when getting a kill with it :D

Ferrio

Banned
Do we all agree that a healer is pretty much mandatory in every game? Or am I an asshole for getting mad when nobody heals?
And yes, I do end up switching to a mercy after a few; just wish it wasn't always me having to do it

Might be able to get by without one with a team comp of people who have self heals.

mbpm1

Some kind of healer is necessary ya.

Tanks are almost useless without 'em imo

Sianos

Is it true that Lucio's speed aura increases the speed your team captures points and the payload? I know I saw it mentioned somewhere, but I've seen no data on it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Healers are way too necessary right now and almost no one plays them which means I'm stuck playing as lucio or we 100% lose.

steadfast

I love pre-game banter -

Lucio + Reinhardt has Reinhardt talking about crappy techno music and no appreciation for the classics like Hasselhoff - fucking gold

Lucio + Bastion has Lucio telling Bastion to "check this out' and he makes a little beat that Bastion repeats back in his sqwaks.

it's the little things that make this game so great

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
i-x2XmbgD-2100x20000.jpg

lol.

I love pre-game banter -

Lucio + Reinhardt has Reinhardt talking about crappy techno music and no appreciation for the classics like Hasselhoff - fucking gold

Lucio + Bastion has Lucio telling Bastion to "check this out' and he makes a little beat that Bastion repeats back in his sqwaks.

it's the little things that make this game so great

D.VA told Mei that she is jealous of all the places Mei get to visit and that she read Meis diary >>

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Which hero do you think has the steepest learning curve? Genji and Hanzo seem up there. Zarya is good even if you aren't good at keeping up her energy boost but timing everything is tricky.

And then there's Winston, who technically isn't hard to be. However, I find myself never knowing when to jump in because my teammates do not wish to ever back me up.
Genji and Winston.

With Winston, it's mostly a matter of situational awareness. Knowing when to go in and not isn't trivial for him. Genji is the same deal on top of the fact that you would ideally know where you are on the map at all times so you're aware of every escape route available to him (and there's a lot), which basically comes down to memorizing all the maps.

MGrant

Is mercy's pistol the lowest damage weapon in the game? I've had some success with it so I'd like to know how proud should I be when getting a kill with it :D

It's actually pretty good at close range as a panic option. I'd put it just below D.Va's blaster. I've used it successfully several times to take out Reapers and Symmetras who try to get the jump on me. But headshots are crucial.

Two is ideal. If there is a Lucio, I go Mercy and vice versa. If there is no one to heal because there's a Hanzo, Widowmaker, and other **** characters that wont help us advance, I play TDM like the rest of my team.

Also, here is a link to hero counters.

phant0m

I main Lucio. Only switch when there's another healer.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

I love that healers are basically mandatory in this game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Zenyatta needs LoS for orbs for a similar reason Symmetra had her shielding nerfed, characters like Tracer/Genji. If you could fire and forget the healing you basically have a backline harass that has infinite sustain which is ridiculous.

I do think he could get another 25hp or so to avoid the sniper bodyshot death, but feel he's fine otherwise.
With a Symmetra shield or Tohl armor pickup he survives the bodyshot. So I mean on a coordinated team he can be rather nasty. A straight buff like that might make sense for solo play but then of course he'd get the added advantage when he is on a good team. It's tricky stuff. He also already doesn't need constant LoS to maintain the orbs, just a re-up every 3 seconds.
What are other people's 'This is going bad, I'll switch to ____' heroes?
Lucio all over

Genji definitely has one, I'd say Zenyatta and Symmetra for sure as well. I know I can't get anywhere as Zarya so I'm sure you're right about that too.

thenexus6

I wish there was small icons in the top left of the screen of what characters the rest of your team are playing as.

Also anyone else think that Tracers ult is incredibly weak? I am lucky to kill 1-2 people with it tops.

deoee

I just impulse bought the Astro A40 TR because it was like 60€ cheaper than Amazon.

Did I make a good decision? I'm replacing my Logitech G35 (which I will try to sell ;) )

Schlep

Thanks everyone for the tip on hiding behind something for D.Va's ult.

But few randoms online seem to know this

Even TF2, on PC, when it first came out was like this. It takes a good couple months for most of the dumb play to work itself out. Bad play will still exist, but at least dumb becomes harder to find.

As utls go it's pretty weak, used to take out important targets like turrets or a camped Bastion. If people were able to avoid it easily it would have little to no purpose.

This might be the case, but it's still the only ult that does damage and has no warning that it's incoming until it's started happening one off exceptions aren't good. I say this a Dota player and that game is chock full off hand exceptions.

Edit: Also I just checked her ult does 400 damage Junkrats does 300. Yeah Junkrat's is safer, but it can be destroyed. 400 drops every hero that isn't a tank and Zarya if she doesn't have a bubble ready. The aoe might not be huge, but it's big enough that it will clear a control point.

Tracer + ult.

I am very much of the opinion that ults should not be necessary to counteract other characters ults. I can clear out Symmetra defenses with basically any damage ult it's excessive. Even Junkrat and Pharrah struggle handling it. They both become very vulnerable hunting those setups down.Especially when you're first time seeking it out there's a good chance you're going to die unless you're a tank. We're back to the issue of what are you doing moving around as a tank clearing that kind of thing out.

I don't understand the complaints about team comps. I almost never see a team without at least one of Mercy/Lucio, and I almost never see stacking. When I do, it's stacking that makes sense.

Maybe it's because I'm going in with full groups mostly?

jayvo

For Mercy to revive fallen team mates, does she need to be in the general vicinity of the downed player or not? Sometimes I see people die in a fight but am too far away to revive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom