• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game is almost impossible in pugs. People are fucking stupid. FUCK.

I go between liking this game and it being absolute trash.

Boils down to;
Smart team = win
Stupid team = lose

You can't carry a team. Doesn't matter how good you are. If your team sucks you lose.

I don't disagree at all. Just haven't mastered that part of it yet. I bought the game based on reading this thread and have only really played for a good 90 minutes, half of which were spent playing with Mercy and trying out other characters.

Yeah in the competitive scene McCree is the most used damage dealer. Comps often run 2. The only character used more is Lucio. He's incredibly good and the best players who are doing this for a living know this.

Baliis

I'm guessing a dota style?

If not limited chars or something

Unlikely that they'll do any limits on swaps or chars per team. Blizz wants you swapping and counter swapping as part of the game and in theory, stacking more than one of a hero just leaves you more vulnerable to counter picks.

I'm calling it right now: Soldier 76 is gonna be a popular character in the pro scene. You want to get shit done with consistency he's your man.

Does anyone know how to get the XBOX Live control panel working for this (and any Blizzard game really)? I wanted to use that to record some highlights but can't get it to recognize Overwatch as a game and the shortcut doesn't work.

If you mean Windows 10, my Overwatch got recognized automatically but the game bar that normally pops up with Win+G doesn't work. Captures and screenshots worked fine, though (though Overwatch has its own screenshot function built in with Print Screen). You can try this method for getting the Game DVR feature to recognize Overwatch as a game. I'd also try switching the game bar shortcut to something other than Win+G, in case Overwatch is blocking that specific combo for some reason.

Lucifon

There's something wrong with the aiming sensitivity on console. I just can't get it right and its incredibly frustrating. What settings are people using?

Will ranked games be locked to character picks at the start of the game?

No, that would be against the fundamental philosophy of the game. Previously the biggest change in ranked is formats, for example control is best of 5 in ranked instead of 3.

What is Lucio's 'sound barrier'?

I keep getting like 10 sound barriers cast in the voting screen.

Right click/L2/LT, the alt attack that knocks enemies back.

I'm calling it right now: Soldier 76 is gonna be a popular character in the pro scene. You want to get shit done with consistency he's your man.

I think the most underrated thing about Soldier 76 is his healing. He can stay on the frontlines and push people back and soak up a lot of damage without needing to retreat or rely on a healer.

rdytoroll

I've been playing solo for the whole day pretty much and it's really fun. I don't even care if we win or lose, I just want to see my team try and there hasn't been a game yet where that wasn't that case. I'm pleasently surprised by how not bad my team mates have been. I don't know what lobbies you guys get put in lol

Boils down to;
Smart team = win
Stupid team = lose

You can't carry a team. Doesn't matter how good you are. If your team sucks you lose.
So... like a team game? I mean you can only carry so much in stuff like League, Dota, and TF2 once you get passed a certain skill threshold. This aversion to communication online with strangers needs to stop in shooters. At least emote stuff like ult is ready and group up. It usually helps.

Klyka

Banned
Phhhhhhewwwww Genji is not my kind of character.

Gonna play him some more hours today to get the hang of him, but man do I hate his Shurikens

Boils down to;
Smart team = win
Stupid team = lose

You can't carry a team but you can swing a game for your team.

Backdooring while your team keeps running into a wall of enemies makes the enemies pull off and some of your stupid teammates start to push in. I won a game that we should have lost because of this. Nobody capturing point A to start the payload. Literally. Nobody. Backdoor at Overtime. Over-commited enemy falls back. Stupid team comes in. Take the point and then proceed to march the payload the entire way home.

This game also needs a little time, too. By the last day or so of the beta, I rarely ever saw a one-sided game.

What is Lucio's 'sound barrier'?

I keep getting like 10 sound barriers cast in the voting screen.

Sound Barrier is Lucio's ultimate. When triggered, it pops a giant shield (I think 700HP) on everyone in the area. That shield quickly degrades to 0, but can be very useful for soaking up the damage from someone else's ultimate or from a big enemy push. The number of people it affects is indicated by the crossfade indicator just below your aiming reticle.

Random strategy question: I've been thinking about games where I play as Mercy and Lucio and we get slaughtered anyways, despite me trying to heal as many people as possible and soaking up a decent amount of total damage (at least according to the cards). Is there ever a situation where it makes sense to stop playing as the healer and switch to another class to counter someone else on the other team? I've done this once by switching from Mercy to Pharah defending the second point at Volskaya, and it actually worked okay, but as a general rule it feels like a bad thing to switch away from healer even if no one else seems willing or able to put down the other team's attackers.

McCree doesn't have a heal though.
In the pro scene, they actually have dedicated front line healing from their supports, so the DPS is free to go McCree. McCree is just much more versatile than 76. He can front line poke, he can smash flankers, he can demolish tanks and his ult clears an entire area for six seconds for almost no real cost. It's ridiculous how strong he is in competitive play, to the point where some of the most common compositions are double McCree.

If you mean Windows 10, my Overwatch got recognized automatically but the game bar that normally pops up with Win+G doesn't work. Captures and screenshots worked fine, though (though Overwatch has its own screenshot function built in with Print Screen). You can try this method for getting the Game DVR feature to recognize Overwatch as a game. I'd also try switching the game bar shortcut to something other than Win+G, in case Overwatch is blocking that specific combo for some reason.

Yes I meant Windows 10 and was trying the Win+G. Thanks for the advice.

Niks

I played like 5 matches with Lucio last night. Do I get less experience points for not killing as much as other characters?

pigeon

Banned
Holy shit! I knew winston's tesla was bad, but god damn. Buff is definitely needed I think.

Keep in mind that Winston's tesla is actually a cone. It'll just hit everybody in the area in front of him, penetrating all barriers (I think maybe even walls).

So although it has terrible single-target DPS, it scales up rapidly as you get more enemies clumped together.

Winston is not really meant to 1 on 1 kill most enemies, because you can probably just walk away from him. He's meant to force you to react to him.

nah, you go mccree. Does everything 76 does better.
76 has a far more reliable ult if less lethal, far better sustained presence on the map, and is more mobile. McRee obviously wins out when it comes to damage and he can interrupt certain ults, but he hardly fills the same role outside of damage. Sometimes you need flexibility over damage to win the game.

Ferrio

Banned
76 has a far more reliable ult if less lethal, far better sustained presence on the map, and is more mobile. McRee obviously wins out when it comes to damage and he can interrupt certain ults, but he hardly fills the same role outside of damage. Sometimes you need flexibility over damage to win the game.

76's ult is kinda redundant for pros.

In the beta I didn't much love playing Lucio, just didn't click and when going sorry I much preferred Mercy. Now though, I adore playing Lucio. He's incredibly useful, his gun is fun, his knock back is a hoot, and his ult reward team play and strategy. I never thought I'd love playing him so much.

nah, you go mccree. Does everything 76 does better.
Why not both? 76's rocket launcher is brutal when it directly hits someone.

Boils down to;
Smart team = win
Stupid team = lose

I was in a team that was getting demolished in payload. We were gonna lose when I decided to play Lucio just for the hell of it. Bruh, I don't know what changed with my teammates but out of nowhere we began to rekt our enemies and properly defended the payload till the time was up.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
76 actually feels alright once you get over how basic he is

We're talking about the Competitive scene here. As shown in this link, McCree is by far the most prevalent DPS character, to the point where teams usually run 2 in their comps, due to how well he can flex his playstyle to fit how teams want to push, defend or set up. The only hero more used than McCree is Lucio, and that's due to his massively inflated King of the Hill stats. There's just not much that 76 has over McCree that justifies picking him for those teams.

Random strategy question: I've been thinking about games where I play as Mercy and Lucio and we get slaughtered anyways, despite me trying to heal as many people as possible and soaking up a decent amount of total damage (at least according to the cards). Is there ever a situation where it makes sense to stop playing as the healer and switch to another class to counter someone else on the other team? I've done this once by switching from Mercy to Pharah defending the second point at Volskaya, and it actually worked okay, but as a general rule it feels like a bad thing to switch away from healer even if no one else seems willing or able to put down the other team's attackers.

Your team is likely playing TDM and not really caring to help you help them. They're also probably playing characters that don't help you push or defend much like Roadhog, Genji, Hanzo, D.Va, etc. At that point you're probably going to lose anyway. Most people playing right now are sticking to one character regardless of the situation or what counters are playing against them so one person playing a team game doesn't change much especially when you're filling a hole by creating another one. Also, sticking with Lucio can help a brain dead team win even if no one knows you did anything when you hit Sound Barrier during a team fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom