• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played like 5 matches with Lucio last night. Do I get less experience points for not killing as much as other characters?
Nope.

You get XP for finishing the game, winning the game, getting the highest vote from players (I think?), and some other things (like playing consecutive games, or for your first win of the day).

The only individual player performance bonus is for receiving medals. You get a one-time bonus for your highest medal (bronze, silver, or gold). If you're the team's only healer, you've pretty much locked up a gold medal right there.

Dreavus

I played like 5 matches with Lucio last night. Do I get less experience points for not killing as much as other characters?

I'm pretty sure you get XP based on the length of the match, a little extra for winning, and a little extra for at least one "gold medal" in any category which means it was the highest on your team. If you're playing Lucio for most of the match it's likely you'll get the gold medal in healing, so you're good.

EDIT:^ Beaten. Oh I forgot group bonuses and consecutive games, yeah. I don't think any XP is tied to the commendations.

NeoRaider

I really like this one:

ZHZ4XKL.jpg

Just got it. Is there any bad Widowmaker skin?? :D

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
After 8 lvls, still not a single epic or legendary reward. This is depressing, and it's only going to take longer and longer to get lvls.. I had more luck witth the beta, and I lost everything in there. ;_;

Frumix

Suffering From Success
After 8 lvls, still not a single epic or legendary reward. This is depressing. I had more luck witth the beta, and I lost everything in there. ;_;

I only got one legendary, but thankfully it was the one I actually really wanted (Devil Mercy). I think they lowered the legendary chances.

76's ult is kinda redundant for pros.

You can't balance an entire game around pro matches or even high level play. It's a fraction of the player base also it's nonsense to assume pros have perfect aim. It can be your focus, but the rest of the player base is important too. We have characters who can double jump, wall run, air dash, fly, wall run, teleport, etc. things can get chaotic auto tracking and highlighting opponents is useful. It might not be as useful as instagibbing anyone in line of sight, but has its place. 76 also doesn't have worry about frequent reloads like McRee does and has ranged burst.

McRee is strong and probably needs balance changes, but you're kidding yourself if you think that somehow pro-matches of a game that hasn't been widely available and was apparently suffering from hacking in the pro scene is somehow indicative of a characters OPness.

vypek

After 8 lvls, still not a single epic or legendary reward. This is depressing. I had more luck witth the beta, and I lost everything in there. ;_;

Lucky you got it in the beta from my view. I didn't get anything in 9 levels in the beta and no legendaries in 10 levels for the final release. lol

Dreavus

After 8 lvls, still not a single epic or legendary reward. This is depressing, and it's only going to take longer and longer to get lvls.. I had more luck witth the beta, and I lost everything in there. ;_;

I have a few friends that are a slightly lower level and have 2 legendaries each! I've been lucky enough to get an epic skin, but it was for 76 who I like using Strike-Commander on for now.

I'm curious what the rates are, since obviously we're going to hear about the ones people have gotten versus those who have yet to find one.

Ferrio

Banned
You can't balance an entire game around pro matches or even high level play. It's a fraction of the player base also it's nonsense to assume pros have perfect aim. It can be your focus, but the rest of the player base is important too. We have characters who can double jump, wall run, air dash, fly, wall run, teleport, etc. things can get chaotic auto tracking and highlighting opponents is useful. It might not be as useful as instagibbing anyone in line of sight, but has its place. 76 also doesn't have worry about frequent reloads like McRee does and has ranged burst.

But we were specifically talking about pro matches.

Alavard

Just hang in there. 8 levels is what, 2 hours? 3? You'll get there, and even if you don't get a legendary skin out of a loot box for a long time, you'll eventually get the currency to pick the one you want.

Dreavus

Oh btw, do you guys burst fire with 76 at range? It looks like the first 3-4 shots are accurate then it starts to spread according to the reticle.

Loving this game since the free open beta, was something that was barely on my radar but been hooked since (with drawl period was rough).

Current go-to characters: Genji, Pharah, Zenyatta, Zarya, Junkrat (when pharah isn't working and we need a spammer) and Mercy.

I made some big improvements with Genji just due to not understanding the R1 (deflect), it tears turrets (and bastion) up, didn't know this in the beta til i read a poster from gaf mention it. I also have a new found love for his L2 (secondary shot - horizontal shurikens), at the right times, does really well against enemies with fast walk speed (R2 for tanks/large characters every time though).

Twookie

it's REALLY hard to get off a good dva ult I feel

even though I send my mech into the air, as soon as the enemy team hear "Nerf this" they scurry away behind a box or a pillar and survive
facepalm.gif

Dreavus

even though I send my mech into the air, as soon as the enemy team hear "Nerf this" they scurry away behind a box or a pillar and survive
facepalm.gif

Yep, but like Winston's ult, that's ideally when the rest of your team comes in to take advantage of the situation even if the mech doesn't actually kill anyone.

Easier said then done, of course.

facepalm.gif

Yeah, but that's sort of the point. They have to get away from the point or reposition or hide or they all die. It's a good way to push up in a tough spot or clear a team off an objective.

vypek

So what's the difference between play and arcade mode? Just got the game and arcade has all this bonus glitter.

You can see the details of the weekly brawl under where you would select the brawl.

I think this week the weekly has double HP, 150% ultimate charge, ability cooldown reduction

facepalm.gif
I'm guessing you play Dota. Then you of all people should know how valuable an ability is that forces the team to scatter else they die.

D.Va's ult is never going to get any substantial kills against experienced players, but will force them to abandon whatever positioning they had and run for safety, something your team can use to full effect.

It also works wonderfully with wombo combos like Mei's Ult, or Zarya's ult.

pigeon

Banned

facepalm.gif

The characteristic of a good D.Va ult is not that you get kills (I think that's why they made it easier to get a new mech after the ult), but that you put it in a spot where the enemy has to get off the point or clear the choke so that your team can get in. It's the same as Hanzo's ult. You need to use it in coordination with your team to get a benefit from it.

Pharrah has the best skins IMO like 6 that are really awesome, McCree has the worst skins and I hope he gets new ones that can also alter his appearance into something more cool and different than a banana.

Alavard

So what's the difference between play and arcade mode? Just got the game and arcade has all this bonus glitter.

Arcade is just the name of this week's Brawl. Brawls rotate every week and are supposed to be wacky rules, such as everyone having random heroes, or everyone is Mccree and you only get headshots.

Arcade's rules are double health, and greatly reduced cooldowns on all abilities I believe.

Uthred

The close matches are definitely the best, when theyre one sliver away from pushing in the payload and you hold them off for a victory just feels great

What kind of modes do you guys want to see? I want to see some more spread out modes

Like 2 bomb sites that need to be defuses, like COD's Demolition mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom