• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Quick question: why do people hang out on CP Defense at the point, and not up front where the attackers start? Seems stupid to let the attackers cover all that ground. Or am I an idiot and missing a strategy?

EDIT: probably shouldn't have clicked that, yet.

Danj

when you kill someone, run over the souls and then ghost to the nearest health pack.

Ohhhhh so THAT'S what that's all about.

This is what I was talking about earlier, does the game have some kind of practice mode where you can try out all the heroes and learn how their abilities work?

Quick question: why do people hang out on CP Defense at the point, and not up front where the attackers start? Seems stupid to let the attackers cover all that ground. Or am I an idiot and missing a strategy?

It's a lot easier because it's a set point to cover, also works well if no one's hard tanking

I mean, for me, yeah. I don't see that much hero variety at all personally, generally the same 5 or 6 every single match. Ends up making most matches play out the same way which gets boring after a while.

I mean I like the game (balance aside) and I think it plays well but, seems like something I'll end up playing every now and again instead of playing it constantly.

eek5

I'm still kind of on the fence about getting this.
PS4 version would be a must for me, so curious to get some specific impressions (preferably from more casual players who aren't hugely into team shooters, etc.).

Also would like to know about load times, seeing as my shortest gaming sessions can be around 20mins. (Tried playing Destiny again this morning before work and spent about 20mins faffing about in the menus and Tower remembering what I was supposed to be doing...)

Mainly looking for something to play with a friend, but if Overwatch also has a "quick fix" quality to it, then that may just sway me over other recent multiplayer stuff.

You can get into a match pretty fast with Overwatch (on PC at least). Matches seem pretty quick especially if you have a good team (or a really bad one haha). I mainly play non-team based FPS like COD. I'm also playing with controller on PC. I think it's pretty fun. It'll probably be even better once I learn what all the characters strengths/weaknesses are and how to play each one but right now I'm having a decent time.

Ohhhhh so THAT'S what that's all about.

This is what I was talking about earlier, does the game have some kind of practice mode where you can try out all the heroes and learn how their abilities work?
There's a "Training Area" mode that lets you experiment with every hero's abilities to figure them out.

I just scrubbed it up in quickplay until I got good with Reaper and now I pretty much get like 20 eliminations a game with him

pigeon

Banned

The spawn points are often not really that defensible, it's a longer walk, and if you get rolled at the spawn point the enemy can probably make a ton of progress while they have a power play and possibly take the point before you can cover it. Temple of Anubis is a great example of a map where you just can't effectively camp somebody in and covering the point and approach is a lot more effective.

Milijango

I'm still kind of on the fence about getting this.
PS4 version would be a must for me, so curious to get some specific impressions (preferably from more casual players who aren't hugely into team shooters, etc.).

Also would like to know about load times, seeing as my shortest gaming sessions can be around 20mins. (Tried playing Destiny again this morning before work and spent about 20mins faffing about in the menus and Tower remembering what I was supposed to be doing...)

Mainly looking for something to play with a friend, but if Overwatch also has a "quick fix" quality to it, then that may just sway me over other recent multiplayer stuff.

This is definitely a game where you can quick play for a few matches and come away satisfied. Games are basically 10 minutes max, with most being 4-7. Load times aren't really an issue on consoles.

Ken

harder to defend, lack of choke points, longer to respond to backdoors

Some heroes seem to benefit more from stacking than others; like, 2 Widowmakers generally aren't significantly more dangerous than 1 (because the number of optimal targets is limited), but multiple Torbjorns are a PAIN IN THE ASS.

Attackers will get to the line way faster than defenders, plus the spawn point heals all attackers so it's very difficult to hold a spawn camp if the attackers just poke at you. It's easier to defend near the point because there is much more ground to cover for the attacking team, not to mention the lack of spawn healing.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Some heroes seem to benefit more from stacking than others; like, 2 Widowmakers generally aren't significantly more dangerous than 1 (because the number of optimal targets is limited), but multiple Torbjorns are a PAIN IN THE ASS.

Two Reinhardts?

NHGAozC.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
It's a lot easier because it's a set point to cover, also works well if no one's hard tanking

The spawn points are often not really that defensible, it's a longer walk, and if you get rolled at the spawn point the enemy can probably make a ton of progress while they have a power play and possibly take the point before you can cover it. Temple of Anubis is a great example of a map where you just can't effectively camp somebody in and covering the point and approach is a lot more effective.

harder to defend, lack of choke points, longer to respond to backdoors

So, it's a worthwhile strategy... cool. Thank you! Makes sense. The effectiveness (at least right now in week one) of keeping the attackers at bay and counting own the clock makes me think defending the gates is somewhat viable. But certainly that does make sense. I'll play along next time. Thank you.

Skel1ingt0n

Two Reinhardts?

NHGAozC.jpg

lol, tonight played against three Reinhardts. The other three flipped between healers and Genjis. They were surprisingly effective at pushing the payload... because to take down the Reinhardt, the defenders had to come in close to get behind the shields... once they did, the Genjis picked them off.

They eventually lost when we flipped to 4 bastions and two mercys at the final point, lmao.

To add to this, this is why Symmetra is damn strong when defending first part of a cp map. If she can get a teleporter up and defend it, it negates one of the big disadvantages the defenders have on the first attack point. After losing the first point I will usually swap to another character. An issue you might run into when playing with randoms is that Symmetra is a weak solo support. I usually only pick her if there's someone else playing support. Unfortunately, you'll sometimes have to deal with the other support being all "Oh no, 2 supports, can't have that!" and switch to another character after seeing you pick Symmetra.

LordofPwn

My tracer skills need improvement.
My D.Va Ult usage needs improvement
My reaper sneaky flanks need improvement
I feel like I'm not getting the most out of lucio even though I win a crazy percentage as him.
My Genji game is getting strong, need to improve my deflect timings and just have better map awareness.
I think I need to further adjust sensitivity with McCree.
Got both Torb trophies tonight in the same match, was interesting, nearly had a 20 kill streak, were fighting a team of genjis on Hanamura.
Finished the night with a widow PotG, 4 kills; Reinhardt, unknown poison mine kill, tracer, and Hanzo. Felt so good, didn't die that whole match and had 14 or 15 eliminations. Enemy team couldn't get to first checkpoint on Dorado. Playing with headphones increases my skill and odds of winning.

Why does this one mode where you're attacking/defending a point(don't know the map name) start where you're literally right in front of the attacker spawn? That doesn't make any sense at all to me

Thanks for the great games gaf. Playing with a full team with communication is SO good.

Thanks to whoever made that giant message group. Now I can always find a team, and it's just for the cost of some insane message spam :p

Sulik2

So is reaper the only actual broken character? I have yet to play a game where a reaper on one team doesn't dominate the entire match.

Junkrat is so much fun. Finally found my favorite character.

I cannot win a game on PS4 though. Getting randos to push an objective us impossible.

So is reaper the only actual broken character? I have yet to play a game where a reaper on one team doesn't dominate the entire match.

I cannot win a game on PS4 though. Getting randos to push an objective us impossible.

no, the only real broken character is McCree being played by someone who has ridiculous aim.

Past few hours were dreadful. My friends finally picked up the game and they fall into every stereotype of Overwatch players. They play TDM, never play support, snipers can't snipe, call everything op, don't push forward when attacking until I as MERCY push forward, and when it's the payload, they push forward and completely abandon the payload to get kills.

Love my friends, but they are literally worse than randoms.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
You can get into a match pretty fast with Overwatch (on PC at least). Matches seem pretty quick especially if you have a good team (or a really bad one haha). I mainly play non-team based FPS like COD. I'm also playing with controller on PC. I think it's pretty fun. It'll probably be even better once I learn what all the characters strengths/weaknesses are and how to play each one but right now I'm having a decent time.

This is definitely a game where you can quick play for a few matches and come away satisfied. Games are basically 10 minutes max, with most being 4-7. Load times aren't really an issue on consoles.

Good to know. Thanks chaps!

Would love to have a rough number for PS4 load times, in particular start-up and loading that first map. But otherwise...feels like I'm almost ready to take the plunge.

Moff

I don't usually play games like this, I played a few rounds in the beta and felt a bit meh and deleted it. a few hours after deletion I felt that itch, though. and now after all the great impressions and reviews that itch got stronger, so I bought the 40 buck version (honestly, who buys the 60 bucks version? the extras are all rubbish)

I thought playing a support is a good way to learn the maps, the mechanics and get a decent impression of the other characters, and since Mercy is from my country I picked her.

The problem is, now that I know the game more or less and feel ready to move on to another character, I kinda fell in love with Mercy. Flying around the level from ally to ally is so much fun and I feel I am really making a difference, so I guess I'm gonna main her.

Can supports be player of the game? I usually get most of the MVP votes but I have not seen a healer as player of the game, yet. only players with multikills.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I can't wrap my head around D.Va. Everybody says she's most effective as a kind of backline harass or an off-tank, kind of like Winston. But I just have so much more success with Winston in terms of actually disrupting the enemy and pushing people off objectives. And I don't think I've ever been up against an enemy D.Va and thinking "wow that D.Va is really fucking us up right now." It's like all I have to worry about is the occasional ult.

ok boyos here's a tip

learn at least one character from every class so when the bozos from the pubs start that classic baddie queue, you have the ability to carry those randos for that sweet xp

pigeon

Banned

Reaper is fine. Just don't shoot him when he's smoky and shoot hm the rest of the time. And remember to shoot him during his ult.

jacobs34

Past few hours were dreadful. My friends finally picked up the game and they fall into every stereotype of Overwatch players. They play TDM, never play support, snipers can't snipe, call everything op, don't push forward when attacking until I as MERCY push forward, and when it's the payload, they push forward and completely abandon the payload to get kills.

Love my friends, but they are literally worse than randoms.

Yeah. My IRL friends are the same way. They won't even buy this game because there are is no TDM. I'm so happy for places like this and Reddit when it comes to games like this and TF2, which are my favorite kinds of games to play.

I can't wrap my head around D.Va. Everybody says she's most effective as a kind of backline harass or an off-tank, kind of like Winston. But I just have so much more success with Winston in terms of actually disrupting the enemy and pushing people off objectives. And I don't think I've ever been up against an enemy D.Va and thinking "wow that D.Va is really fucking us up right now." It's like all I have to worry about is the occasional ult.

I'm that D.Va. Do enough damage and keep moving, block with shield and trap light weight attackers for close range kills. And when my little Gundam is all charged up I push it to the enemy tanks and make it go boom.

Stay pack and spray from afar when out of my suit until it recharges.

Permanently A

Had a hilarious hanzo game where the entire attacking enemy team went roadhog on route 66. 28 eliminations without dying and like 5 ultimates. They didn't even get to the first point.

Apathy

why why why do people keep picking widow when they are just god awful

holy shit, it's so infuriating that they won't change to something even remotely useful.

Time to end the free hero switching experiment, Blizzard.

I appreciate you trying but the net result is that it just makes the last 5 percent of every match arduous turret-n-shield slogs. It's not interesting, and it's not fun.

Make hero selection at match start have some stakes.

why why why do people keep picking widow when they are just god awful

holy shit, it's so infuriating that they won't change to something even remotely useful.

Most people can't aim and with how frenetic this game is I can sympathise. Unless you're amazing please don't pick Widow. Hanzo can play a similar role much more easily.

SwolBro

Banned

D.vas are insanely powerful if she has a healer by her side. get a healer next to you and you'll do serious damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom