• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, you can be such an annoying shit with Mei XD. Putting ice walls in front of the attack teams entrance. Contesting a point behind a wall, then turtling up when the wall goes down. And man, Dva can't do shit to you once you've got your ice spray on her.

Also, finding the trolliest places to put turrets is so fun.

This game brings out the trickster in me lol

Banzai

Okay some observations after I had my first day with the game yesterday, although I assume most of these will echo stuff others have said.

First: It's fun. Really fun. But...
- Way too many people who lock in snipers and never switch. No matter the mode or whether it's attack/defense.
- circle jerk in post game about how many eliminations/kills everyone got. Meanwhile my gold medal objective time gets 0 commendations.
- which leads right into everyone playing this as TDM. Just so frustrating.
- I don't mind playing support or tank, in fact I rather enjoy it. But I do want to try out some offense heroes every once in a while but can't because of our team's 5 offense hero(/widow)- "composition"
- Most maps are amazing. But temple of anubis seems stacked in favor of attack. to me, anyway.

Any advice for Farah?

When you boost into the air, stick near buildings and "vertical cover" that you can glide or fall behind when you get focused on.

Fire your rockets at the ground for optimal splash damage. Don't even aim directly for an enemy unless you know you can make the shot.

Your knockback missile is great for separating Mercy/Lucio from the rest of their team. Use it to single them out. You can also use it to launch people off the map, which is funny.

Always make sure you're at max HP before ulting, and have some "vertical cover" so your sides aren't exposed. You're a very loud, exposed, and immobile target while ulting, so it's also good to have something like a Zarya bubble or Mercy tether on you so you can tank the damage that'll inevitably come your way (seriously, I've ploinked Pharahs out of the air with Junkrat). It may be tempting to ult from in the air, but you should make sure that you're as low to the ground as you can be without your barrage missing enemies or hitting their cover.

If the enemy has a good sniper, boost to get to higher ground, but don't stay in the air; you're basically a duck at that point. If you hear an enemy Widowmaker ult, just stay low. You're better off playing Genji or Soldier: 76 when the enemy is sniping effectively.

Pooya

Soldier 76 spread delay is way too generous, burst fire with macro keys is too stupid, they might want to do something about that.

Lucifon

I'm surprised there's not more noise about the console aiming being borked. Blizzard's inexperience with console shooters shows here.

There's some kind of sensitivity / deadzone issue and it drives me nuts, it's like I'm fighting the controller to aim.

KarmaCow

corners? hmm... 50 health? hmm...

I feel like most of the people asking for more healers don't play support

Corners is an exaggeration but health packs are supplemental not a primary way of healing for six people, or more since they're team neutral packs. There is no way the 75 point health (my bad on that) next to the first point in Hollywood or the 250 behind the point is going to support everyone.

PatjuhR

Can't they make servers/games that you can choose to join where you are forced to pick a class that is recommended for the teams balance?

If there are two attackers already, you can't choose an attacker for example? Or something like that?

antitrop

I'm surprised there's not more noise about the console aiming being borked. Blizzard's inexperience with console shooters shows here.

There's some kind of sensitivity / deadzone issue and it drives me nuts, it's like I'm fighting the controller to aim.
Yeah, really my only notable complaint about the game.

eek5

I wonder if it's the same as using a controller on PC because I haven't really noticed any issues on this side. Which console are you on?

RNG blessed me with the Explorer Winston skin but I can't figure out how to use him effectively :/

Be annoying. Get up in people's faces and wear them down with your bubble. Have your team back you up in your pushes and make sure you get focused. Use your jump to become a harder target, and poke small groups of enemies with your cannon. A smart Mercy can balance healing you with boosting damage for your cannon to whittle down the health of groups of baddies.

Lucifon

I wonder if it's the same as using a controller on PC because I haven't really noticed any issues on this side. Which console are you on?

Xb1 with an elite controller. No issues with any other games. It makes it really frustrating to play when you're battling with the sticks.

gotta be honest, i have the opposite problem u guys are complaining about. people are tunnel visioning on the obj waaaaay too hard and just get mowed down over and over

Weird i havent noticed anything wrong with the aiming. Neither has the 8 guys i play with on PS4. Also a PC player so im used to both KB/M and controller.

KrawlMan

anybody from AU want to add me? I'm not super competitive, but I wouldn't mind a more social and cooperative experience than everybody silently running into the fray one by one until the enemy wins :p

mlrakanishu#1141

- circle jerk in post game about how many eliminations/kills everyone got. Meanwhile my gold medal objective time gets 0 commendations.
- which leads right into everyone playing this as TDM. Just so frustrating.

I noticed this a lot late this afternoon when I was playing. First time for me, but it happened like 3 games in a row. I literally had 4 min 48 seconds on objective with my payload as Reinhardt and got outvoted at the end by players who scored high kills/kill participation. I started the game as Tracer thinking our team might actually worry about objective, but about 45 seconds in and 4 members of my team fighting an enemy Reaper (and losing) and I said fuck it.

Felt bad, man. I had a Mei helping me every once in a while and playing a decent defensive game, and if she had been up for a medal I would've voted her, because it's very likely a lot of my success on the payload was her routing the enemy team away from me while I singlehandledly pushed the cart.

If you're having trouble with team composition, step up and be the leader. I point out where we need adjustments all the time and most people just swap over without complaint. Just having one person making callouts and coordinating the team will do wonders for your experience. This game is remarkably quiet for a team-based game. The mic button is admittedly hard to find though.

My group just got off. I'm down for a few games. Bnet is usagi#11589 PC/NA

PatjuhR

I noticed this a lot late this afternoon when I was playing. First time for me, but it happened like 3 games in a row. I literally had 4 min 48 seconds on objective with my payload as Reinhardt and got outvoted at the end by players who scored high kills/kill participation. I started the game as Tracer thinking our team might actually worry about objective, but about 45 seconds in and 4 members of my team fighting an enemy Reaper (and losing) and I said fuck it.

Felt bad, man. I had a Mei helping me every once in a while and playing a decent defensive game, and if she had been up for a medal I would've voted her, because it's very likely a lot of my success on the payload was her routing the enemy team away from me while I singlehandledly pushed the cart.

If you worry about getting post-game regocnition you should play as a healer. I get a shitload of votes just for ammount of healing done.

Banzai

I feel ya. Sometimes I wonder if it's just me being the grumpy no-fun-allowed guy when I tell others to focus on objectives rather than kills. Like I'm telling them not to have fun that way.

I just wish they had that kinda fun in a different game ...

Any advice for Farah?

Pharah is a flanker who uses verticality rather than alternate routes. Get into (read: above) their back line and fuck shit up.

Her primary fire is really strong, but pretty slow moving, so always be spamming rockets into the middle of crowds, at least until you get the hang of leading your shots. Her E is pretty tricky to use right, you've got to careful placing it you want to have any real effect. It doesn't shove people though barriers, so watch out for that. Her Q is tricky as well, it seems powerful but unless the enemy is grouped up, you're likely to waste it or get shot out of the sky. Best saved for pitched firefights where the enemy's attention is diverted.

Woo! Finally got 1000 credits. Now I have to decide whether I want the Scavenger skin for D.Va or the Comtesse skin for Widowmaker. I might just save until we get news on Sombre and see how far away she is.

Guys I just love playing McCree. 5 hours on him already with the next closest heroes being at 1 hour each. And I switch a lot. McCree just works out a lot lol.

He's the best hero in the game and the most likely to get nerfed.

TheRed

Guys I just love playing McCree. 5 hours on him already with the next closest heroes being at 1 hour each. And I switch a lot. McCree just works out a lot lol.

If you worry about getting post-game regocnition you should play as a healer. I get a shitload of votes just for ammount of healing done.

Yeah, I get plenty props when I play Mercy, pretty sure she's my most played character. Most of those games weren't similar to the types of players I ended up with this afternoon, though -- those were usually games where the objective was the primary concern of the players and they recognized my contribution as healer. If I'd gotten props for healing a bunch of team deathmatch-minded morons, then I probably would feel empty... Of course a healer is gonna rack massive points when you're recklessly throwing yourself into the fray for nothing.

jacobs34

McCree is one of the best characters in the game, he can take out the tanks with a stun and fan, his left click is great at range (with practice) and his ult is incredible. The better you get at the game, the more dangerous the McCree becomes.

16BitNova

I'm sure some of have witnessed this before but, today I was playing D.Va on Route 66 (attacking team). We almost had the payload delivered, their whole team was bunched up, so I sent my Mech out on self destruct. Then their freaking Reinhardt does his charge move to my mech, sacrificing himself far away from his team. The sight was hilarious and awesome as he charged out of my line of sight into a corner behind some crates and blew up. We lost, but I wasn't even mad, that play was sick.

2 tracers in team both useless goodjob. more ppl to add to my avoid list.

When I play Tracer, it's usually on a payload map and my entire strategy is to "magnetize" myself to another player and support their flank. If, for instance, I see a Reaper go down an alley, I'll find a pathway opposite of him and use my blink to get ahead and come in behind his engaged targets. Seems to be one of the more effective ways of playing the character, but of course most Tracers play squishy glass cannon instead of support and that, while possible to be effective, is a much more difficult and likely-to-fail method, I think. A few other goals I keep in mind as a Tracer is to touch objectives to bait enemies away from the front lines and then bail out so my team can advance (or to just take it without being detected, which often works with teams that are deathmatch-minded). I just try to stay out of sight with Tracer, appear, do damage or harass, get out, or flank support with another player.

I never minded playing Medic in TF2, but for some reason I never got used to Mercy in the beta; it didn't help that randoms seemed even worse than TF2 players at protecting you and not scattering to leave you on your lonesome. So I pretty much just stuck with Lucio as my go-to healer.

Then I had a really great match with her tonight on Dorado! Didn't get PotG or a commendation rec, but I got praise from all my teammates afterward for my revives.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
My secret is that I am the bad team mate

thats most people's secret, they just dont admit it. Its why I laugh everytime I see "noob team l2p", like you were also part of the team :)

eek5

Xb1 with an elite controller. No issues with any other games. It makes it really frustrating to play when you're battling with the sticks.

I'm using elite controller too but on PC. Just played around in training mode and I guess you're right there is a small deadzone in the center. I'm using the long stick on the right side and a highish sensitivity which kind of hides it. I think I'll just switch to KB/M :\

Trickster

There really needs to be a system in place with lootboxes that's similar to the loot system from Looking for Raid in WoW. So the longer you go without a legendary, the higher the chance becomes that you get one.

I reached level 19 yesterday, and between that and level 20 something in the open beta, I have still not gotten a single legendary skin. Meanwhile I've seen people get double ( even a triple ) legendary lootboxes, that or get like 4 legendarys while being a lower level than I am.

I'm not saying to make it fixed enough that after x levels, the chance becomes a 100%. But just enough so that these wild variances in drops don't really occurr. at this point I feel like I'm playinga f2p game based on how stingy it's been with the drops.

MUnited83

For you.
On the mode where one team tries to capture points and the other defend them, the following team is phenomenal:

2 Lucios
4 Soldiers

Have one of the Lucios speed boost at the beggining of the round and have everyone go to the capture point, have the other lucio do his speed boost when the other runs out.

Congrats, your whole team is now on the capture point, with the capture like at 75% before the enemies reach you, and then you have 4 soldiers picking up the guys that arrive first :p

Acidote

I've been at the office for 30 mins and I want to leave already. I would pick a few days off to go to the beach and play this if I didn't have so much to do =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom