• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alavard

Slowly expanding my Hero repertoire, I decided to dive into Zenyatta last night. It went far better than expected, and I didn't feel as hampered by his healing mechanics as I thought I would, even without a Mercy/Lucio to back me up.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Seriously fuck overtime.

So many 99% defeats...

That's the most fun and chaotic part though

I do think the game does force the 99% a little bit too much

I had the best Lijang Tower Overtime, both teams 99%, 2-3 minute overtime, so many counters, it was hilarious
2 die, 3 come in, 3 wipe, 2 come in, I swear likee 30+ ultimates went off that overtime round, just utter chaos
Lost in the end due to a McCree flank and High Noon, we all backed up... He was behind us =[

Eric WK

The game would be infuriating without overtime. I can't think of one overtime loss I've had where we didn't just get outplayed or fail to coordinate properly.

DrArchon

Slowly expanding my Hero repertoire, I decided to dive into Zenyatta last night. It went far better than expected, and I didn't feel as hampered by his healing mechanics as I thought I would, even without a Mercy/Lucio to back me up.

Zenyatta is so much fun against the right enemies. He can just tear apart enemy tanks with discord and headshots.

Just be careful on maps with a lot of open areas. Widowmaker can kill Zen with a single charged shot to the body and he doesn't have any ways to move unpredictably.

Spoo

I had the best Lijang Tower Overtime, both teams 99%, 2-3 minute overtime, so many counters, it was hilarious
2 die, 3 come in, 3 wipe, 2 come in, I swear likee 30+ ultimates went off that overtime round, just utter chaos
Lost in the end due to a McCree flank and High Noon, we all backed up... He was behind us =[

We ran into a tracer who was fucking *amazing* at keeping the point contested -- we had like 3 people in the point at 99% and this tracer was just blinking in and out... nearly impossible to hit with the build we had which kind of ignored her.

We won, but fuck (good) tracers lol.

edit: As a solution if this is deemed a problem, I think a person should have to stand in the point for at least a second or two before it becomes contested. At least would reduce spam that just prolongs the game.

Ferny

The game would be infuriating without overtime. I can't think of one overtime loss I've had where we didn't just get outplayed or fail to coordinate properly.

Yup. So much this.

OT makes those parts of the match fun. When it's 99% - 99% match, it is so tense and stressful, but makes for a good time.

I've only played with him for a few minutes, but I was surprised by how enjoyable I found him to play. I'm definitely going to be giving him, and many other characters more playtime in the future.

GraveRobberX

Junkrat is hilarious with his Tripmine
I now use it to troll players, by egging them in and blasting them away

I made Roadhog fly into cliffs in Illios so many time, especially that room Control point, if he come through the door boom, by bye piggy

Yes hogs can fly

sora87

Yep, I'm done with this game. Every single match is a frustrating mess, the opposition is always fucking insanely good and coordinated. What a shame.

TheRed

Buttwatch

Sm2gULw.jpg
Lol I remember my friend doing this for Bloodborne too.

_Legacy_

Yeah I agree, it happens too often. I think it needs to be tweaked somewhat but the majority of them are tense, even if you do end up losing. I find Junkrat to be invaluable in those 99% overtime moments, the spam, traps and RIPtire are just too good, he's a character that thrives from chaos.

CitrusStorm

Unconfirmed Member
Finally home after a long trip! First thing I did last night before hitting the hay was purchase this baby.

I didn't get to play the beta, but I can't wait to charge headlong into this world! GAF has a good group for someone who's never touched the game before, yeah?

Baliis

We ran into a tracer who was fucking *amazing* at keeping the point contested -- we had like 3 people in the point at 99% and this tracer was just blinking in and out... nearly impossible to hit with the build we had which kind of ignored her.

We won, but fuck (good) tracers lol.

edit: As a solution if this is deemed a problem, I think a person should have to stand in the point for at least a second or two before it becomes contested. At least would reduce spam that just prolongs the game.

I can do this as Lucio with some payload maps, it's so good. Was so mad we lost this one match last night because I know we could have won if our useless widowmaker had swapped to anything. A Winston or something could have screwed their Reinhardt + widowmaker + Hanzo so easily but nope, we had a widowmaker firing shots into a shield all game.

_Legacy_

Yep, I'm done with this game. Every single match is a frustrating mess, the opposition is always fucking insanely good and coordinated. What a shame.

Git gud

All jokes aside, what platform are you on? I think there is a GAF user list on here, you could try playing with others. The game is 100% more fun with at least 2 other people in your group.

After 2 days and about 6 hours of play, I find I'm very inconsistent but starting to get a feel for a flow of the game.

The heros I've been playing:

D.Va - Discovered her at the end of the day the first night and I've done the best with her in general. I like to use here when we either have no tank or we are playing defense. I'm terrible with her ult. though.
Hanzo - He's probably the character I have the most fun with but his utility is more limited. I use him if the team has no snipers and it's a defense game mostly.
Pharah - I use her when the opposing team is pushing together a lot. I find the splash damage and verticality help with groups. Sometimes I do very well with her and sometimes I just can't get her going.
Lucio - He still my go to support character when we need healing. I know I've made a big difference in some games but he's the least favorite of the heros I typically play at this point.
McCree - I haven't used him a lot but when I have, I've been successful. He's probably my second favorite character to play.

I've messed around with Mercy, Tracer and Genji but not enough to have a strong opinion.

My biggest weakness now is situational awareness. A killcam will reveal at times that I was being hit by oncoming fire that I wasn't aware of. Something about the hit indicator that I miss apparently. I don't have this issue in other games but I need to train my brain to better notice I guess.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Starting to step up my Genji game, knowing the maps makes so much so so so much difference with him. On the ones I'm still not really familiar with I feel like a headless chicken with him.

Baliis

There's a leave penalty? How do I know if I have it? I've left a handful of games because I already knew it was going to be a pubstomp but I never noticed if I had the penalty.

If you leave to many games there will be a really noticeable warning message at the main menu if I remember right, idk if that means it's on already or just close, but it's like a 75% exp reduction or something?

GraveRobberX

There's a leave penalty? How do I know if I have it? I've left a handful of games because I already knew it was going to be a pubstomp but I never noticed if I had the penalty.

You'll have a Red -75% leave penalty @ the XP bar
After the game once completed, leave too many it stays for awhile

Not fun earning 800xp for like a 11 minute match...
You can counter it with the team bonus, but that just only 20%, so you still have 55% going

I got caught in it due to GAFfers inviting me, before I would accept, I would leave to join, now I just click OK join

vypek

When is it a safe time to quit the match without risking some penalty? Character select? Ending scores and voting?

How do you ignore/mute people in text chat? Can you deactivate text chat altogether?

I'm on PS4 but I think someone posted a while back something to the effect of "/leavechannel"

Can't verify that though.

GraveRobberX

When is it a safe time to quit the match without risking some penalty? Character select? Ending scores and voting?

I'm guessing until character select
I do think penalty comes in once your in and are ready for countdown

AEREC

I'm on PS4 but I think someone posted a while back something to the effect of "/leavechannel"

Can't verify that though.

Probably when it gives you the option to leave the game via the big button in the top right.

TaterTots

Banned

I was noticing this last night. I was constantly on teams with people who only played one character and refused to switch. I'd mention that we need a healer and the response was, "play healer then." I was the only tank and we had 2 Widowmaker's. Meanwhile the other team has everything needed and is easily crushing us.

ISOM

Having a group member who stays Widowmaker regardless of the situation even if we're playing attack is ridiculous. It's like playing 5 on 6.

Drame

I'm sure this has been answered in a post couple pages ago, but how does one join the PS4 Overwatch gasf community group?

Invert

Neo Member

Zenyatta is fantastic if you have a solid team to support you. I played a game last night with a full group, my buddy really likes playing zenyatta on the Russian map with the two control points (can't remember the name for the life of me, too early) and he was hitting his discord orbs perfectly so when I'd come up with reaper I was cleaning up people in 1-2 shots. I got 5 kills in about 10 seconds and they were all orbed, and we ended up winning the match in 2-3 minutes. If played right and your team has enough awareness to protect him you can go through teams like a hot knife through butter.

Rixxan

Having a group member who stays Widowmaker regardless of the situation even if we're playing attack is ridiculous. It's like playing 5 on 6.

There are occasional offensive pushes on certain maps (usually with a long singular lane) where widows can be helpful

But yes most of the time it's just people being stubborn

What are you struggling with in particular? What heroes do you use? And do you play solo? Because there are plenty of people on GAF you could team up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom