• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're supposed to be fun. It'd be boring if everything was tied to the reality of the game's lore.

There are plenty of possibilities for great looking skins that fit in alright with the characters, though. To me throwing that out the window straight away and just going for whatever silly idea they can think of seems to partially go against why backstory for characters is established in the first place.

abundant

I feel like his ultimate is almost like Lucio's. It basically makes everyone around you invulnerable to normal attacks because the healing rate is so high. Use it for pushing objectives or counter-pushing the attackers. I never wait for everyone to be on low health before I pop it because they're probably gonna die anyway. I use it proactively.

I don't know if it works with Zen's ult, but I've trained myself to pop a Sound Barrier whenever the other team uses an ult. It still does a lot of damage, but thanks to Sound Barrier, it won't kill my teammates.

rdytoroll

I'm so bad at any of the offensive heros, you die so freaking fast. I also can't hit shit with them (maybe because my last played FPS on the PC was a few years ago).

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Top 4

Lucio
Reinhardt
Mei
Mercy

gonna mess around with Roadhog for a bit tnght. tried Junkrst out yesterday and had a blast (groan....)

Favorites from each class so far (PC):

Damage: McCree
Defense: Torbjorn
Tank: Zarya
Support: Zenyatta

I think I may like Bjorn the most, which is surprising. Molten Core with a well placed turret is so satisfying. Genjis zipping around, Pharahs flying and my turret gives no shits. Beat a few dudes down with my hammer last night while in ult mode. His primary weapon can even wreck people, especially his secondary fire close range.

vypek

I'm so bad at any of the offensive heros, you die so freaking fast. I also can't hit shit with them (maybe because my last played FPS on the PC was a few years ago).

Try Solider who can heal himself or Reaper who can run away when in trouble. Reaper also can regain health from defeated enemies.

Spoo

Hit level 28 or so.

Man, once you turn the corner at ~20, games just start getting intense as hell. Played with a group of 6 and it was hard-ish, but then when 3 of our guys left and it was just me and 2 other buddies theory-crafting our way through encounters at a super fast pace (and winning almost all games!), it was just insane clutches over and over.

Really love this game. Hope it sees a lot of support.

Trickster

So i understand how Zarya works now. But there's no specific numbers in the UI that tells you how charged she currently is. This is fucking stupid

DrArchon

I don't know if it works with Zen's ult, but I've trained myself to pop a Sound Barrier whenever the other team uses an ult. It still does a lot of damage, but thanks to Sound Barrier, it won't kill my teammates.

I'm not sure how high the rate of heal on Zen's ult is, but I could see that working for certain ults (basically anything that's not one big burst of damage like DVa's or Tracer's).

Having the sound cues for enemy ults is really helpful for stuff like that.

Not all of the attack heroes are based around direct offense. The labelling of types is actually a little weak and best treated as a guideline. Tracer for instance is about distraction and disruption, head on charging will get you killed quickly. You'll start getting the hang of it as you see others playing them but in the meantime I'd suggest either of the two offensive heroes that have splash damage on their weapons, Junkrat and Pharah. You won't need to be as accurate and it should give you a chance to get used to the mouse again.

Once you learn the health pickup placement you'll start becoming even more effective too, as some attackers are best to be well separated from the group and you wont always have a healer around to help.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
They need to either significantly increase leveling speed or the content in the boxes. Right now the system is garbage.

They want you to feel like you are progressing months or years from now. They don't want you to get every legendary skin within the first couple of months.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
bvvtiDRl.jpg

Haha my first hate mail...

Their team was 1 Widowmaker, 2 Hanzos, 2 Mercy, 1 Reinhardt
They kept camping the gas station @Route 66, I flanked using that narrow path near the cliffs, then flanked hard and took out both Mercy's and Rein

My team broke the other 3 "Team kill"
We won in overtime

Sorry if my Bastion can fucking flank you and overpower you
1 Mercy switched to Reaper, 1 went Lucio, but they kept getting flanked

How is it my fault you couldn't beat me to change my choice, got 25 eliminations, 11,000 damage and POTG

ColEx

I find the skins to be a bit boring at the moment, hopefully blizzard do something about this and create some interesting fun designs in the future.

I also would like the option to quickly change skin while choosing a character.

rdytoroll

Try Solider who can heal himself or Reaper who can run away when in trouble. Reaper also can regain health from defeated enemies.

Not all of the attack heroes are based around direct offense. The labelling of types is actually a little weak and best treated as a guideline. Tracer for instance is about distraction and disruption, head on charging will get you killed quickly. You'll start getting the hang of it as you see others playing them but in the meantime I'd suggest either of the two offensive heroes that have splash damage on their weapons, Junkrat and Pharah. You won't need to be as accurate and it should give you a chance to get used to the mouse again.

Once you learn the health pickup placement you'll start becoming even more effective too, as some attackers are best to be well separated from the group and you wont always have a healer around to help.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I've been playing Junkrat a lot and had some pretty amazing games with him. Probably my favorite so far. I'll try playing Pharah more

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
bvvtiDRl.jpg

Haha my first hate mail...

Their team was 1 Widowmaker, 2 Hanzos, 2 Mercy, 1 Reinhardt
They kept camping the gas station @Route 66, I flanked using that narrow path near the cliffs, then flanked hard and took out both Mercy's and Rein

My team broke the other 3 "Team kill"
We won in overtime

Sorry if my Bastion can fucking flank you and overpower you
1 Mercy switched to Reaper, 1 went Lucio, but they kept getting flanked

How is it my fault you couldn't beat me to change my choice, got 25 eliminations, 11,000 damage and POTG

dva-spray-30-salt.png

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
As a Torb player I think the turret needs a cooldown after it's destroyed. It's so easy to build a second level 2 turret after yours is destroyed, especially where there is a natural choke point. If 3 or 4 opposing players manage to get into our main perimeter, the turret+teammates take out one or two before the turret is destroyed. While my teammates fight the remaining two enemies I quickly build a level 2 turret again to finish them off.

I find the skins to be a bit boring at the moment, hopefully blizzard do something about this and create some interesting fun designs in the future.

Of course it's all down to opinion on this but I think they are hitting the interesting and fun category when you go to the epic skins.

I've been saying that since closed beta, changing skins/sprays/voice lines should be doable at character select.

I've been saying that since closed beta, changing skins/sprays/voice lines should be doable at character select.

I don't know if I really agree, it's all aesthetic and it would be annoying to see your teammates standing around in spawn or wondering where they are because they are too busy changing skins or anything that doesn't really matter when you are trying to win.

Trickster

Are you sure? I only played her a couple times but doesn't a number show up by her reticle?

Damn you're right. That's like the only place I wasnt looking, as weird as that might sound. Guess the reticle area is just an area where my mind only thinks about aiming or something

On a different subject. How hell do you deal with winstons? Especially plural

Lucario

They disabled the 21:9 fix :|

This game's fun, but it feels shitty to support a developer that shuts off 30% of my monitor for no reason.

Any Canadian Gaffers get their game in from Amazon.ca yet? What sku is it? French and English cover or just the English?

Amazon only just shipped my copy today. Considering just picking it up locally and then make a return when the copy from Amazon arrives.

DrArchon

As a Torb player I think the turret needs a cooldown after your turret is destroyed. It's so easy to build a second level 2 turret after yours is destroyed, especially where there is a natural choke point. If 3 or 4 opposing players manage to get into our main perimeter, the turret+teammates take out one or two before the turret is destroyed. While my teammates fight the remaining two enemies I quickly build a level 2 turret again to finish them off.

I wonder how awful it would be for Torbjorn players if leveling up turrets required scrap metal. Maybe buff the level 1 turret a little to compensate. It would force them out of their little holes in order to maximize their effectiveness (and yes I know that the best Torbjorns already have to get scrap to be effective, but in pub play you can still stomp without any real risk to yourself).

GraveRobberX

Some players are too fucking stubborn to switch

Keep playing Hanzo, I've learned map layouts very well
I'll just flank you

Some players are to rush in happy, wait, see how many of you around
Even no communication at least notice your surroundings

You know you have a bad Pharah when she's with you on the ground...

vypek

Damn you're right. That's like the only place I wasnt looking, as weird as that might sound. Guess the reticle area is just an area where my mind only thinks about aiming or something

I think Reaper might be good against Winston

EDIT: Maybe also McCree with flash bang and "fan the hammer"

BigDug13

I wonder how awful it would be for Torbjorn players if leveling up turrets required scrap metal. Maybe buff the level 1 turret a little to compensate. It would force them out of their little holes in order to maximize their effectiveness (and yes I know that the best Torbjorns already have to get scrap to be effective, but in pub play you can still stomp without any real risk to yourself).

More of them would be selfish and not dispensing armor if the turret required it.

Started getting back into Genji last night. I can still do pretty well with him when I'm playing on defense, but I have a really rough time using him on offense. Defenders are usually better prepared for flanks, which makes my life difficult. Any Genjis out there have any tips for being useful on offense? I usually feel like I'd just be better off as Tracer or Reaper.

Reaper, McCree, Pharah, Junkrat, Torbjorn (Winston does no damage to turrets), Roadhog, Zarya, and Zenyatta (Orb of Discord kills Winston really fast) are all pretty good choices. Winston's kind of situational. He's really built to kill squishy backline characters and can't deal with anyone with strong DPS.

Alavard

As a Torb player I think the turret needs a cooldown after it's destroyed. It's so easy to build a second level 2 turret after yours is destroyed, especially where there is a natural choke point. If 3 or 4 opposing players manage to get into our main perimeter, the turret+teammates take out one or two before the turret is destroyed. While my teammates fight the remaining two enemies I quickly build a level 2 turret again to finish them off.

I won't say Torb's turrets are overpowered, but I will say I struggle against them far more than I do against Bastion.

SDCowboy

They want you to feel like you are progressing months or years from now. They don't want you to get every legendary skin within the first couple of months.

I would sure as hell hope months and years from now that there will be tons of new skins added.

Hey nerds! I was thinking about trying to cobble together a "tabletop" version of Overwatch. (My family is big big big into board games) I know that the mechanics behind the game appear to be relatively (deceptively?) simple. I'm wondering if any of you have come across a googledocs spreadsheet where someone is tracking damage done by weapons and abilities.

There would be a good deal to organize/interpret BUT...I think there's actually a good deal of "chess" to Overwatch and you don't always get to experience that due to the frantic nature of the game. I think it could prove to be a really rewarding tactical experience as a board game.

GraveRobberX

I hope this game flushes out the KDR out of players mind

Thank fuck you get reward for doing stuff that shines through on the cards

vypek

Hey nerds! I was thinking about trying to cobble together a "tabletop" version of Overwatch. (My family is big big big into board games) I know that the mechanics behind the game appear to be relatively (deceptively?) simple. I'm wondering if any of you have come across a googledocs spreadsheet where someone is tracking damage done by weapons and abilities.

There would be a good deal to organize/interpret BUT...I think there's actually a good deal of "chess" to Overwatch and you don't always get to experience that due to the frantic nature of the game. I think it could prove to be a really rewarding tactical experience as a board game.

Unfortunately no spreadsheet from what I have seen. Closest thing is the wiki

http://overwatch.wikia.com/wiki/Overwatch_Wiki

If you go into the weapon pages from the character's pages then you can see more details about the weapons including their damage.

Bastion hard counters him. Turret mode shreds through his shield and outdamages him free.

Zenyatta and Reaper too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom