• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

th4tguy

Like this?
pewmei24vr2t.png

It's like Tina from Bob's Burgers

No, which is exactly why I am asking the question. It's like maining rock in rock, paper, scissors.
Not really. Most heroes don't have hard counters, and most sensible team comps will mitigate the weaknesses your hero has. When I play with my usual friends, my selection pool is really only about four or five heroes deep (Genji, McCree, Junkrat, Winston, Lucio) and that's fine. It's actually helpful, because they can anticipate what I'm likely going to choose and when.

Also, some heroes are just pretty much always useful. If you "main" Lucio, Reinhardt, McCree... you're probably an effective pick 90%+ of the time.

My feeling is that if you're switching more than a couple of time a game, you're probably being too reactive and messing up your team dynamics. Counterpicking is important, but it's by no means decisive.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
My work schedule is weird and I don't think it would sync up with some of you guys. (California GAF here)

Hell I'm East Coast-GAF, but my playtime sometimes seeps into Oceania-GAF

How can you not love playing with Ancestral Pirates and kiwis
I'll be available if you need backup

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Not really. Most heroes don't have hard counters, and most sensible team comps will mitigate the weaknesses your hero has. When I play with my usual friends, my selection pool is really only about four or five heroes deep (Genji, McCree, Junkrat, Winston, Lucio) and that's fine. It's actually helpful, because they can anticipate what I'm likely going to choose and when.

Also, some heroes are just pretty much always useful. If you "main" Lucio, Reinhardt, McCree... you're probably an effective pick 90%+ of the time.

My feeling is that if you're switching more than a couple of time a game, you're probably being too reactive and messing up your team dynamics. Counterpicking is important, but it's by no means decisive.

There's a fine line between switching heroes every 2 minutes and switching heroes when your team comp is being countered. By no means do you need to be able to play all 21 heroes, but I'd say you should be comfortable with a good 5-8 heroes at least.

Haines

Banned
The elite controller is great with the game. The only thing I switched on my FPS loadout was changing sprint with melee click and I changed that in the overwatch controller settings. I love being able to use all the buttons without having to move my thumbs off the sticks.

I can't comment on the version difference, but I'm sure there is a video comparing them on youtube or something. It ran well on the xb1 during the beta. I saw some slowdown in the replay camera a couple of times, but I was dead so it didn't matter. Go with the version of the game you have people to play with.

Yeah I will prob just try to meet people online or add people on here.

I'll see if I an find any beta comparisons BC I bet it's how the final product will run.

I just don't want to sacrifice TOO much performance for better controller

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Anybody manage to find 5 IRL friends to play with?

I tried using GAF lists and Discord with R6:Siege - but my strange availability and the fact Discord names are different (and hidden from) the actual game, made it impossible to keep track of who's voice is who's; and overall - while I had a great time - wasn't as fun as playing with people you actually know from work/school/friend groups.

notworksafe

I tried using GAF lists and Discord with R6:Siege - but my strange availability and the fact Discord names are different (and hidden from) the actual game, made it impossible to keep track of who's voice is who's; and overall - while I had a great time - wasn't as fun as playing with people you actually know from work/school/friend groups.

fwiw discord now lets you change names per server so a lot of us just have our bnet tags as our names

catspit

I am so used to FPS - day one / level up to get better skills and guns.. But with this game, there is no rush at all.. The only unlocks are all cosmetic..

TDLink

Are there any patch notes out for the launch day? I know stuff had to change from Beta since it's updated a few times.

There's a fine line between switching heroes every 2 minutes and switching heroes when your team comp is being countered. By no means do you need to be able to play all 21 heroes, but I'd say you should be comfortable with a good 5-8 heroes at least.

What if you don't find 5-8 interesting characters? Most of the cast do not appeal to me gameplay wise.

I pretty much just main Mercy with a very rare and situational Pharah from time to time.

I really don't like the notion of being forced to play characters just for the sake of the team composition.

I suppose there might be some confusion, PS4 GAF is using the general Group Chat, via either the system or more conveniently the PS Messager APP. A good deal of PC GAF is using discord!

Iceman829

Yeah I will prob just try to meet people online or add people on here.

I'll see if I an find any beta comparisons BC I bet it's how the final product will run.

I just don't want to sacrifice TOO much performance for better controller

You might want to ask the playstation people, but I remember people discussing the ability to use an xbox one controller on their ps4 with some type of adapter. I don't know much about how well it works or if the paddles of the elite are compatible with it, but if you are playing on ps4 and want to use the elite controller maybe someone from the ps4 community can clarify this.

If you decide on xbox you can add me. GT is the same as my name here. Anyone else can add me as well. If you send a message that says gaf in it I'll remember who you are.

FinKL

VoIP overlay is something new to Discord, in fact they just added Overwatch as a supported game so you should be able to keep track of who's who now while talking in game

I need GAF's help.

My two teenagers and me all want this game. The current plan is to buy it for the Xbone, but that obviously comes with the challenge of three people wanting to play the game and only having one piece of hardware to play it on.

Now, the teenagers each have a Lenovo Y510P laptop capable of playing this, so technically they could jump in on PC. One of the PCs is actually in the shop because of a black screen issue on Win 10, which I hope gets fixed today. Crossing fingers.

However, I then have the following problem: my PC is a four year old Asus N53S laptop with an GT 630M graphics card. According to Can I Run It I don't meet minimum specs, which is a GTX 460. However, I apparently meet the minimum Pixel & Vertex Shader versions (min is 4.0 and my card is 5.0) and the minimum dedicated VRAM (min is 768 MB and I have 2 GB).

So while I wouldn't mind all three of us going with the PC version (although costly), it would be fun to play together instead of taking turns on the Xbone.

But will the game run on my GT 630M?

buy the game on PC and upgrade your PC when you can. It will run on a 630M, but definitely not at max graphics settings (i recommend med settings without knowing the rest of your specs). Save the cost of the Xbox one, game, & controllers and put it towards a new PC.

System Requirements

Supported Graphic Cards

Sure, and I think the best way to get good at those 5-8 is to try playing as the other 13-16 heroes you favor less.

E.g., I only discovered my love for Winston after he repeatedly frustrated me as Genji/Widowmaker. I wanted to see why he was so effective against me, but he ended up becoming my preferred tank. I also learned what situations are scary or threatening as a Winston, which helped me improve my anti-Winston game in turn. (I'm still not going to stoop to using Reaper, tho...)

But a few weeks or months from now, when everyone has (hopefully) experimented with every hero, there's nothing wrong with narrowing your focus to a handful of heroes that you are most effective with, especially if you have a regular crew whose choices complement yours.

DirtyLarry

I am so used to FPS - day one / level up to get better skills and guns.. But with this game, there is no rush at all.. The only unlocks are all cosmetic..
This is personally the reason I am so excited about this game.
Truth is I all but stopped playing FPS's online because of pretty much exactly this reason.
Limited time just is not conducive to a lot of MP games out there these days.
Except with Overwatch during the beta even though I only played it a few hours and there were always people with way more time clocked in playing, I still felt as if I was contributing to the team.
That is awesome. And that is why at 41 years old, I am excited to play a MP FPS again.

This is personally the reason I am so excited about this game.
Truth is I all but stopped playing FPS's online because of pretty much exactly this reason.
Limited time just is not conducive to a lot of MP games out there these days.
Except with Overwatch during the beta even though I only played it a few hours and there were always people with way more time clocked in playing, I still felt as if I was contributing to the team.
That is awesome. And that is why at 41 years old, I am excited to play a MP FPS again.
Amen. And given how much the devs rhapsodize about 90s team shooters during the Gamespot retrospective, I think they feel the same.

Ramirez

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-overwatch-console-beta-performance-analysis
This is what I could find on Xbox performance.

Sounds like I might actually choose an Xbox version over my ps4 for the elite controller.

So maybe ms has done something right.

I played the beta on XB1 for over 24 hours, the performance was rock solid. I too prefer that controller, but I'm double dipping anyways because my kid tends to take over the Xbox for Destiny, lol.

ncslamm

The beta sold my on this game within 20 minutes. In fact, this game drove me to build a PC so I can get a taste of some kb/m action. I already preordered the origins edition on PS4 and I'll be playing that until I get the PC built (hopefully Thursday or Friday). Are the character skins the only difference in PC versions? If that's all it is then I would rather just get the $40 version.

The beta sold my on this game within 20 minutes. In fact, this game drove me to build a PC so I can get a taste of some kb/m action. I already preordered the origins edition on PS4 and I'll be playing that until I get the PC built (hopefully Thursday or Friday). Are the character skins the only difference in PC versions? If that's all it is then I would rather just get the $40 version.

There are some bonuses for other Blizzard games but nothing really substantial.

This is the why I was intrigue buy this game and eventually pre-ordered it. After watching more videos and reading the beta thread and now this speed train full of hype thread, I cannot wait to play this tonight.

MMaRsu

Why is this game not for sale in europe yet? The servers go up tonight but no midnight play as shops wont sell till tomorrow.

Wtf bullshit is this servers are offline anyway so why not sell it

God this shit drives me nuts

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, and I think the best way to get good at those 5-8 is to try playing as the other 13-16 heroes you favor less.

E.g., I only discovered my love for Winston after he repeatedly frustrated me as Genji/Widowmaker. I wanted to see why he was so effective against me, but he ended up becoming my preferred tank. I also learned what situations are scary or threatening as a Winston, which helped me improve my anti-Winston game in turn. (I'm still not going to stoop to using Reaper, tho...)

But a few weeks or months from now, when everyone has (hopefully) experimented with every hero, there's nothing wrong with narrowing your focus to a handful of heroes that you are most effective with, especially if you have a regular crew whose choices complement yours.

Agreed, that's a good way to expose yourself to new heroes. However certain heroes will just not click for you at all. I can't get the hang of Winston at all, for example. I can play Roadhog and Reinhardt and even D.Va and Zarya to an extent, but Winston completely flummoxes me. His playstyle is so foreign to me.

However, I do still switch to him in certain scenarios. When there's a Widowmaker standing on a ledge eating up our team I'll switch to Winston and just wreck her. So even in that scenario, it's good to know the strengths and weaknesses of all the heroes so that you can use them in the one or two scenarios where they will make a difference to your team.

Manoko

I added my battletag to the spreadsheet soon after it was live, but I didn't get many invites.

Any EU gaffers wanting to play in a group tonight ?

Manoko

Why is this game not for sale in europe yet? The servers go up tonight but no midnight play as shops wont sell till tomorrow.

Wtf bullshit is this servers are offline anyway so why not sell it

God this shit drives me nuts

Exactly why I decided to order through CDKeys.com
Instead of waiting for my Amazon copy tomorrow.

What if you don't find 5-8 interesting characters? Most of the cast do not appeal to me gameplay wise.

I pretty much just main Mercy with a very rare and situational Pharah from time to time.

I really don't like the notion of being forced to play characters just for the sake of the team composition.

Have you actually tried them all? There were characters I wasn't too excited about conceptually but after trying them all, they all play really well. It's kind of amazing.

You can roll with two characters but your overall effectiveness will be limited. The game is balanced around switching. It's your choice to ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom