• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who hasn't followed this game much at all and trying to read this thread for information on the game, I feel like I stepped onto the floor of a convention of comic con...and I don't read comics.

How the hell is there such a fanatic party around this game already? Where should I go to see what this game is about? Gameplay vids just make it seem like a team-based shooter. Blizzard must be wizards.

Tecnniqe

Banned
As someone who hasn't followed this game much at all and trying to read this thread for information on the game, I feel like I stepped onto the floor of a convention of comic con...and I don't read comics.

How the hell is there such a fanatic party around this game already? Where should I go to see what this game is about? Gameplay vids just make it seem like a team-based shooter. Blizzard must be wizards.

People like beautiful characters.

If you want to see what its all about google Overwatch fanart Winkyface

playoverwatch.com

I've watched some of the animated shorts and they're fantastic! But it does nothing to show me how tight the game itself is. I guess this glowing anticipation is enough to confirm this will be something big!

What if you don't find 5-8 interesting characters? Most of the cast do not appeal to me gameplay wise.

I pretty much just main Mercy with a very rare and situational Pharah from time to time.

I really don't like the notion of being forced to play characters just for the sake of the team composition.
Well, the good news is that Mercy is pretty much always useful. You rarely see a pro team without her.

But playing as other heroes will help you understand threats to Mercy. You'll know when and where a Genji or Tracer is most likely to appear. You'll anticipate firing angles that Widowmaker or Bastion will take. And you'll also make smarter decisions about who needs healing and when (e.g., don't let them feed ultimate from Roadhog), and who needs damage buffing and when. A lot of the rhythms of the game are clearer when you've used the heroes you're supporting. It'll make your Mercy better.

MMaRsu

Exactly why I decided to order through CDKeys.com
Instead of waiting for my Amazon copy tomorrow.

Sadly ps4 version cant be bought there.

Man its bullshit tho. why the 24th release date in EU when the servers go up tonight? Why the embargo?

Speely

Banned
I've watched some of the animated shorts and their fantastic! But it does nothing to show me how tight the game itself is. I guess this glowing anticipation is enough to confirm this will be something big!

The beta played like a polished release build. Game is just fun as hell, and tons of folks have already played it quite a bit.

God i can't wait to not level up and unlock fucking weapons and attachments and then have to "prestige" and do it all over again. etc.

Having everything "open" from the beginning is awesome! So nice to have gone full circle with FPSs in the last 10+ years.

Will metacritic and revues even matter for a game like this?

It will get docked a point or 2 because of no campaign mode, etc. But when comparing to other MP FPS games, This game should get a 10 in my book because I bought it (I've been very sticky on buying games ever since I put myself on a budget..and vacation is coming up).

Ferny

God i can't wait to not level up and unlock fucking weapons and attachments and then have to "prestige" and do it all over again. etc.

Having everything "open" from the beginning is awesome! So nice to have gone full circle with FPSs in the last 10+ years.

Yeah, I am excited for this too. Unlocking stuff is all well and good, but I like just having everything ready and only really dealing with cosmetic unlocks.

Squire

Banned
Pretty much. I can see them showing new characters and levels at blizzcon

That, but I also expect a D.va short to involve Blizzard/BlizzCon in some way, since she's a StarCraft pro in-universe.

It'd be cool if it started/ended eith her competing at BlizzCon and saving the people in between.

Robin64

Sadly ps4 version cant be bought there.

Man its bullshit tho. why the 24th release date in EU when the servers go up tonight? Why the embargo?

You'll find it's just those stores being dicks, Blizz are fine with the game being sold today. Places like GAME have stupid policies.

I've been on a complete blackout on this game, didn't play the beta, haven't watched any gameplay. Reading this OT has made me want to buy this tomorrow.

DirtyLarry

Amen. And given how much the devs rhapsodize about 90s team shooters during the Gamespot retrospective, I think they feel the same.
Absolutely. I was already sold on the game just from my time with the Beta, but that Gamespot retrospective just really took it all to another level for me. I left it with the utmost of respect for their vision and achievement. As corny as it sounds I felt as if they were making a game for me.
Having an MP FPS that I know I may not get to play for weeks at a time but I can go back to and still hopefully hold my own and at least feel like I am able to compete really is massive. Again as I said, it is like they made the game for me, which makes sense as for all intents and purposes, they are me minus the fact they are developers for a living. But we all grew up playing the same games, and I feel like someone or something needed to address the issue of what about those of us who want to enjoy the genre we grew up on but just do not have a lot of time in their day to day lives to dedicate.
So I feel like not only have they released an incredibly fun game to play, but they have directly addressed an issue with the genre itself.

Only time will tell if they have truly addressed it, but my time with the beta, along with everything I am reading and watching, indicates they very well may have.
I am just curious if because it appears they took this approach will people who expect more get bored with the game faster than normal. Also not for nothing the game does push teamwork and if the popularity of other MP FPS's is anything to go by, I do wonder if that will also make people stray from playing it. In a selfish way I think that will be the best thing that can happen though, as then those people that "get it" will be the ones playing.

FinKL

I was just like you, "oh it's just another TF2".

Then I played it and was continually playing it having fun. I'm sure a lot of that is contributed by eliminating everyone new, but it was still fulfilling to me.

What is Overwatch

And some good Genji gameplay

Seagull POV, mix^ vs C9

The second half of that match is 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Pls Blizzard push the start button now... This damn game is launching at 2AM where I live fuck.

image.php

Johndoey

Banned
While i'd like to buy the game on ps4 I can't justify the extra 20 for stuff i'm not interested in, plus I heard the game is pretty low requirement.

Gurrry

cant decide if i wanna get the 60 or the 40 version. do you guys think those special skins will be available elsewhere down the line?

XceptioN

Neo Member
I went to one of the Coke eSports launch events last night. I had a good time. I know a lot of people were unhappy with the promised "free swag" but the Tracer cup I got will get a lot of use. Plus I got to see this: https://vine.co/v/iExJIzqt1U0 on the big screen. Totally worth the 2+ hour drive.

Permanently A

The fanaticism really only started after open beta. I think Overwatch isn't too interesting to watch but really clicks when you play it.

I'm getting out of work right before release today. It's been a while since I've been this excited for a multiplayer release. I even upgraded to Origins because, uh......the Pharah skin is cool I guess?

Fingers crossed that the servers hold.

Unlocking dem cosmetics though.

Bastion OP, 2/10 don't buy.

Cosmetics are fun and dont impact gameplay... so i'm all about those. It's just the icing on top.

Oh and see avatar for response to your Bastion comment...
i know you're jk'ing ;)

Yeah, I am excited for this too. Unlocking stuff is all well and good, but I like just having everything ready and only really dealing with cosmetic unlocks.

Yup. Exactly. And it's nice to have an even playing field where we dont have to play thousands of hours to have everything available to us.

Li Kao

Man I'm weak, I don't do well in multiplayer games but the hype got to me. I hope the emphasis on team play over kill streaks will be a game changer for my game experience.
That's clearly how you market a game, good job Blizzard.

Is there a list of the good and bad heroes lore wise ? The shorts clearly indicate Widowmaker and Reaper in the bad guy camp, what about Hanzo and Genji ? And the rest of the cast ? Yeah, not a very important question but when you do a good design job and produce watchable shorts that touch upon the lore, this kind of question isn't so odd... I hope ^_^

OllyOllyBennett

Neo Member
I'm worried that Overwatch may eclipse my desire to play other games again. Meh. I was on the closed beta and found a void during the Christmas hiatus, and this one from the beta ending and it being released.

Problem is, I'm in the UK, so won't get to play until Tuesday evening really, due to work during the day. Maybe I'll stay up and get an hour or two tonight.....

For those that played in the beta how does the game feel/play? I'm going in completely blind.
This is what they've got the most right about the game in my opinion. And a large part of that is due to their technically and visually brilliant aesthetic. The whole game just feels lovely to play. I find myself missing the feel of playing it during work or times of absence. The production values are extraordinary.

I played a lot of multiplayer PC Battlefield: Vietnam, 2, 2142, and Unreal 2003, and PS3 Modern Warfare 2. Overwatch is my first return to PC FPSs in a very long time. But though I've always loved aggressively lone-wolf flanking as my most common tactic, I found that I get an incredible amount of enjoyment dashing about Mercying the crap out of everyone. I play her almost exclusively, and call myself 'Battle Mercy' as I fly around shooting and buffaloing unsuspecting arrogant Genjis and Tracers.

How I played those other games has kinda merged into a single style, but Overwatch stands out for me at the moment. If that makes sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom