• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Basically "lol we *still* don't care about you console peasants".

There must be something that is a big problem with the systems that doesn't exist on PC that makes this difficult.

Or maybe they just don't have a lot of people devoted to fixing it and it is being treated similarly to "console and PC will be balanced differently." I prefer to think it is the former and they are close to getting it done.

Tonight was a weird night. In QP with the GAF crew every game I played where I was just fucking around with characters I don't usually play with, we won. But then every time I tried to play a character I was good with, we lost. Some sort of weird reverse curse.

Then in competitive I won two games I thought for sure we were going to lose - first one was just standard disorganization in trying to take the first point on Numbani, but once we took it in the last minute we ended up steamrolling them.

But then the second match was fun. We were on Oasis and won the first point with a 76/Reaper/Genji/Rein/Lucio/Mercy team setup, then before the start of the second round the Genji switched to Hanzo (and said "trust me, if this doesn't work I'll switch"), the Reaper changed to McCree, the 76 changed to Reaper, and the Reinhardt changed to Roadhog. Then we got our asses kicked, and the entire time the Hanzo and now-McCree were talking shit about me and the Mercy as if the healers were the problem. I calmly mentioned in chat that the Hanzo wasn't working and that having a Roadhog as the solo tank is not good, so the Roadhog switched to DVa, and Hanzo switched to Zarya, and then we won the next two matches pretty easily (although they didn't stop complaining about the healers).

Weird night, but it wasn't awful and I gained some SR so I'm slowly trudging my way to Platinum.

There must be something that is a big problem with the systems that doesn't exist on PC that makes this difficult.

Or maybe they just don't have a lot of people devoted to fixing it and it is being treated similarly to "console and PC will be balanced differently." I prefer to think it is the former and they are close to getting it done.
The difficulty probably being that they're platforms outside of their control. Battle.net is their turf, they can do whatever they want there. Can you even discretely report people on a game to game basis in another game on consoles?

Some good games today, made a compilation of some good moments, including batman hype and owzers teabagging.

Also a bit of MH before grouping up.

I think I missed the people more than the game.

But I definitely didn't not have fun. So that's something.

It was pretty fun for the most part.

That Ilios game was frustrating because when the game was ending my genji ult didn't work as intended, I had to use 3 slashes to kill the hanzo and for some reason the second slash never registed on Zen... and then he appears on the kill feed after I respawned. It's in the video... annoying.

Got robbed on route 66 with the zen play at the end when you ate the mei/reaper ults :p

D.Va is so good.

Tonight was a weird night. In QP with the GAF crew every game I played where I was just fucking around with characters I don't usually play with, we won. But then every time I tried to play a character I was good with, we lost. Some sort of weird reverse curse.

Then in competitive I won two games I thought for sure we were going to lose - first one was just standard disorganization in trying to take the first point on Numbani, but once we took it in the last minute we ended up steamrolling them.

But then the second match was fun. We were on Oasis and won the first point with a 76/Reaper/Genji/Rein/Lucio/Mercy team setup, then before the start of the second round the Genji switched to Hanzo (and said "trust me, if this doesn't work I'll switch"), the Reaper changed to McCree, the 76 changed to Reaper, and the Reinhardt changed to Roadhog. Then we got our asses kicked, and the entire time the Hanzo and now-McCree were talking shit about me and the Mercy as if the healers were the problem. I calmly mentioned in chat that the Hanzo wasn't working and that having a Roadhog as the solo tank is not good, so the Roadhog switched to DVa, and Hanzo switched to Zarya, and then we won the next two matches pretty easily (although they didn't stop complaining about the healers).

Weird night, but it wasn't awful and I gained some SR so I'm slowly trudging my way to Platinum.

Why do people insist on insulting their healers? Don't you know this bumps you to the bottom of the triage list?

Gorillaz

The difficulty probably being that they're platforms outside of their control. Battle.net is their turf, they can do whatever they want there. Can you even discretely report people on a game to game basis in another game on consoles?
Black ops series off the top of my head has a report just for people having offensive images with their calling cards alone.

If Blizz wanted to put in the work and work with Sony and MS to get an actual system going they could. I would bet it's more blizz then the console makers. This is the case of them not fully giving a shit.

Some good games today, made a compilation of some good moments, including batman hype and owzers teabagging.

That Ilios game was frustrating because when the game was ending my genji ult didn't work as intended, I had to use 3 slashes to kill the hanzo and for some reason the second slash never registed on Zen... and then he appears on the kill feed after I respawned. It's in the video... annoying.

Got robbed on route 66 with the zen play at the end when you ate the mei/reaper ults :p

D.Va is so good.

Did... did that Reaper really try to ult a pulse-bomb stuck to him while he was alone in a room? Overwatch is a weird game.

Black ops series off the top of my head has a report just for people having offensive images with their calling cards alone.

If Blizz wanted to put in the work and work with Sony and MS to get an actual system going they could. I would bet it's more blizz then the console makers. This is the case of them not fully giving a shit.
Ah, alright. I imagine with something like the calling cards is more open and shut, but reporting here would be for, what? Abuse over voice chat? Throwing? It's practically a placebo on PC as it is because the issues tend to be more abstract and harder to concretely identify so don't feel like you're missing out console folks.

Yes, I'm getting the impression consoles are just an added revenue stream, they don't actually count for much when making big decisions.

If that is the case, I wonder if they'd be better off just making the console the "casual" platform. Balance it for the Bronze/Silver crowd. And balance the PC for the pros and Top 500.

If you're going to treat console players like second-class citizens, might as well go all the way, and reap some benefits for the Master Race in the process. (I'm on PS4)

You know, when you said "Owzers teabagging" I thought you meant you caught Owzers teabagging an enemy. Not what actually happened.

Why do people insist on insulting their healers? Don't you know this bumps you to the bottom of the triage list?

Yeah, I can't fathom it. I don't think they understand how the healers are almost always keeping them alive when they do stupid shit. And in between matches the Mercy would switch to Symmetra/Torbjorn/Widowmaker and say thanks to the guy talking shit while we were in spawn. I was super afraid the Mercy was going to start throwing if the guy didn't stop talking.

You know, when you said "Owzers teabagging" I thought you meant you caught Owzers teabagging an enemy. Not what actually happened.

Yeah, I can't fathom it. I don't think they understand how the healers are almost always keeping them alive when they do stupid shit. And in between matches the Mercy would switch to Symmetra/Torbjorn/Widowmaker and say thanks to the guy talking shit while we were in spawn. I was super afraid the Mercy was going to start throwing if the guy didn't stop talking.

Yeah, I spent my time in silver playing tanks because no one else wanted to. Would I have liked to play a DPS? Sure! But I'll be the team player.
And in gold, it's healers. No one wants to play them. So I learned Zen. My thanks? Being solo healer who gets shit on for not healing enough. I'M A SOLO-HEALING ZEN!! No SHIT you're not getting enough heals. Maybe get a health pack, or god forbid play a second healer? No? Thought so.
Fuck outta here with your DPS prima-donna bullshit.

MCD

Was forced to go a healer since my mains were taken so instead of lucio I said why not Zen?

My god. Zen is godly if left unchecked. I was lucky there were no genji or tracer on my ass too.

KyleCross

Boy, just took a trip through the official Overwatch forums. Everyone over there is saying the game is dying and it will literally die unless Blizzard decides to balance the game specifically for pros and leave casuals behind. Jeff has responded that they'll continue balancing for both and people are just not having it.

I really hope it doesn't become a pure eSports game...

The forums are full of drama queens, no shortage of people whining about the dumbest things.

Jeff seems like a very reasonable person, and I really liked the post he made a few weeks ago about the game balance.

He said this:

I do not agree with the philosophy that we should just make balance changes solely to shift people off the meta.
(...)
Regarding the meta changing because players have innovated a new strategy – well – this is the best-case scenario. We’ve seen this happen time and time again. This usually happens in a pro tournament where a team pulls out a new strategy and performs well. This was how triple tank rose into fashion. Innovating out of a meta is extremely hard. All players are very different. Some are highly creative and some are excellent at executing. Some at both. Having the time and freedom to innovate on strategy is difficult no matter what level of play you’re at. Pros have busy schedules and it’s not always easy for them to practice new, out of the box things – especially if their tournament schedule is hectic. But when all is said and done, to me personally, the meta shifting because players innovate is the best possible outcome.

If South Korea can actually run that anti-dive comp and be sucessful with it then more power to him. It's annoying seeing people whine non-stop while being completely unreasonable and not even trying to understand that managing this kinda of stuff is not something black and white. There are some problems with the game but people just need to be patient or take a brake.

Boy, just took a trip through the official Overwatch forums. Everyone over there is saying the game is dying and it will literally die unless Blizzard decides to balance the game specifically for pros and leave casuals behind. Jeff has responded that they'll continue balancing for both and people are just not having it.

The thing about balancing for the pros is that the casuals don't even notice the difference. That's what makes them casual. Bastion is trash right now, but casuals often think he's OP. Ditto for Torb and Symmetra. All the time I hear how they need to nerf Symmetra in Competitive, but she sees next to no play in pro play.

The forums are full of drama queens, no shortage of people whining about the dumbest things.

Jeff seems like a very reasonable person, and I really liked the post he made a few weeks ago about the game balance.\
What Jeff says sounds good, and then he proposes to fix Roadhog by letting him move while healing...

D.Va is so good.
Damn. You're the Tracer now.

What Jeff says sounds good, and then he proposes to fix Roadhog by letting him move while healing...

xD

I'm definitely not happy with that kinda of change but like he said he's just one person in a bigger group making decisions.

Seems like they really don't want to go back to the old Hog, but looking at abilities with one-shot potential like scatter arrow or the doomfist punch I have some difficulty to accept their reasoning.

He was one of my favorites so it's shame.

Like, either you balance it for competitive play or you don't. You can't do both.

Hot take: The game is completely, 100% balanced around casuals (there isn't even a scoreboard!). The pros who play it are only doing so because the games they want to play aren't paying well enough and/or they don't want to play CSGO.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
xD

I'm definitely not happy with that kinda of change but like he said he's just one person in a bigger group making decisions.

Seems like they really don't want to go back to the old Hog, but looking at abilities with one-shot potential like scatter arrow or the doomfist punch I have some difficulty to accept their reasoning.

I just don't understand why they spent so much time tweaking him if this is their end game. After the hook CD was hit he was in a great place and it took them quite a few patches to get there.

Then they toss it all out into the trash and still keep the hook nerf which makes zero sense, and are continuing to spread him in a direction that simply doesn't work. It's so frustrating.

xD

I don't see the problem with Doomfist Punch. It's just an ability that 1-shots you if you have poor positioning.

Hmm. Wasn't there something else just like that in the game recently? lol

Damn. You're the Tracer now.

Since we play a lot of the same charactes we do the same as before and switch roles so we don't burn out. We have a tough road ahead of us to win games with owzers on doomfist.

I just don't understand why they spent so much time tweaking him if this is their end game. After the hook CD was hit he was in a great place and it took them quite a few patches to get there.

Then they toss it all out into the trash and still keep the hook nerf which makes zero sense, and are continuing to spread him in a direction that simply doesn't work. It's so frustrating.

Completely agree. The nerf came out of nowhere and destroyed the character. Now it's like they don't know what to do with him.

8AQt34l.png

Bad night tonight. I'll try again in the morning if I have time.

Was forced to go a healer since my mains were taken so instead of lucio I said why not Zen?

My god. Zen is godly if left unchecked. I was lucky there were no genji or tracer on my ass too.

Zen is so much fun, so precise in his shots. The Genji/Tracer problem is true, though. I died 10 times (TEN!!) in my last game of the night. 9 were to the Genji hunting me the entire game. I managed to kill him twice (while dying myself). Fuck flankers.

What's your PSN? I don't remember it

I've never put it up, I don't think. I play mainly with my kids on my (old) main, and have been solo-only on my alt. I have only played Comp on my main this season, and mess around in QP on my alt. Haven't even done placements on it yet.

Anyway, alt is Aladdnsane. I pretty much play Zen anymore, with some D.Va or Winston, if needed. Add me if you ever need someone to QP with.

jviggy43

And they better never give Lucio the Roadhog treatment.

He's still the best.
Lucio is the anti roadhog. They won't rest with the buffs until his usage % in pro play becomes 100. That fucking god damn buff they gave him was so unnecessary

Balancing for pros is not at all balancing to make it exclusively an Esports game. They SHOULD be balancing it based on the highest level of play given that balance is dependant on "if each character were played to their best possible ability how do they function and match up against everyone". Otherwise youre balancing based on individual player skill and that's completely worthless.

xD

The thing is, he actually said he doesn't like the way that Roadhog one-hit-kills you, not the actual one-shot. The long lead-up, knowing you're dead, yet still having to go through the whole animation, that's what Jeff (and team) didn't like. Somehow it's been twisted to "Jeff doesn't like one-hits." even though the game has Widow and now Doomfist (who also requires some positioning and skill to get a one-shot).

The thing is, he actually said he doesn't like the way that Roadhog one-hit-kills you, not the actual one-shot. The long lead-up, knowing you're dead, yet still having to go through the whole animation, that's what Jeff (and team) didn't like. Somehow it's been twisted to "Jeff doesn't like one-hits." even though the game has Widow and now Doomfist (who also requires some positioning and skill to get a one-shot).
It's less than a second of animation.

jviggy43

Lmao. "We don't like the fact that when you get hooked you know you're dead .5 seconds before it happens. We don't want that kind of move in the game".

Meanwhile

"Oh yes I have the perfect flanking position behind the enemy team with my ult ready to go and full life let's Do th-"

Random scatter arrow one shot to death.

Yeah Jeff, that's so much better than being 1 shot (in actuality 2 shot with most needing to be 3 shot) to death by roadhog. Fuck

MCD

Zen is so much fun, so precise in his shots. The Genji/Tracer problem is true, though. I died 10 times (TEN!!) in my last game of the night. 9 were to the Genji hunting me the entire game. I managed to kill him twice (while dying myself). Fuck flankers.

Hahaha. Yeah I might try going more Zen today as long as there is another healer on the team. I might lose more SR but fuck if I care. I want to have fun while still getting a challenge which QP fails to offer sadly.

As for Roadhog I for one glad he is barely in any comp match anymore. Fuck his never ending reach of a chain.

It's less than a second of animation.

Yep, but tell me you didn't get that reaction where you disengage from the game when hooked, even if it was less than a second. So if he forgot to reload, you still died because you had backed away from the game/ threw your controller down in disgust.

And the thing is, this isn't me, this is what Jeff himself said. And I get it. I didn't want 'Hog nerfed, but I get what he's saying, and why other one-hits don't count (except Scatter, because fuck Hanzo).

Yep, but tell me you didn't get that reaction where you disengage from the game when hooked, even if it was less than a second. So if he forgot to reload, you still died because you had backed away from the game/ threw your controller down in disgust.

And the thing is, this isn't me, this is what Jeff himself said. And I get it. I didn't want 'Hog nerfed, but I get what he's saying, and why other one-hits don't count (except Scatter, because fuck Hanzo).
I've never had that experience. Because somehow a lot of Hog players miss the follow-up shot, and I always want to be ready to kill them.

Now I am COMPLETELY guilty of dying after a Mercy res because I tabbed out to read GAF on numerous occasions...

Lmao. "We don't like the fact that when you get hooked you know you're dead .5 seconds before it happens. We don't want that kind of move in the game".

Meanwhile

"Oh yes I have the perfect flanking position behind the enemy team with my ult ready to go and full life let's Do th-"

Random scatter arrow one shot to death.

Yeah Jeff, that's so much better than being 1 shot (in actuality 2 shot with most needing to be 3 shot) to death by roadhog. Fuck

Yeah, I have no defense for Scatter. Fuck that ability. RNG has no place in OW.

Phu

Banned

I always thought getting hooked was kinda funny. Like, 'ah shit, they got me!' and then if I was the one throwing the hook it was like, 'haha! gotcha bitch!'

But I'm in the minority.

Hahaha. Yeah I might try going more Zen today as long as there is another healer on the team. I might lose more SR but fuck if I care. I want to have fun while still getting a challenge which QP fails to offer sadly.

As for Roadhog I for one glad he is barely in any comp match anymore. Fuck his never ending reach of a chain.

Zen is so much fun, and when you get the hang of always having both orbs up, and get a grip on his alt-fire, he is a beast. Good orbing!

I've never had that experience. Because somehow a lot of Hog players miss the follow-up shot, and I always want to be ready to kill them.

Now I am COMPLETELY guilty of dying after a Mercy res because I tabbed out to read GAF on numerous occasions...

I play Zen, and this happened to me a lot. And I never learned, because I'm an idiot.

jviggy43

Yeah, I have no defense for Scatter. Fuck that ability. RNG has no place in OW.
The fact that it's still in game as is blows my mind. It's such a fucking stupid move. At least with previous roadhog, I knew I fucked up and put myself out of position to get hooked. With scatter arrow, it's like "well I guess I happened to be in his line of sight when scatter came off of cool down and his shot in my general direction insta killed me".

Totally with you on rng in this game. Hell i don't even care if it took me down to 10 hp just don't have it one shot me. I could live with it otherwise.

I always thought getting hooked was kinda funny. Like, 'ah shit, they got me!' and then if I was the one throwing the hook it was like, 'haha! gotcha bitch!'

But I'm in the minority.

Yeah, those streaks where you had 75%+ hook accuracy, with each hook equalling a kill, those were good times. I'm not particularly good at OW, but 'Hog could make me feel like I was, when things were going well.

The fact that it's still in game as is blows my mind. It's such a fucking stupid move. At least with previous roadhog, I knew I fucked up and put myself out of position to get hooked. With scatter arrow, it's like "well I guess I happened to be in his line of sight when scatter came off of cool down and his shot in my general direction insta killed me".

Totally with you on rng in this game. Hell i don't even care if it took me down to 10 hp just don't have it one shot me. I could live with it otherwise.

It's just bullshit. Even when it misses, I know it's because some random dice roll decided it wouldn't shred my Zen for shits and giggles. This time.

I don't actually have a problem with a ricochet arrow, but they need to define how it works and stick to it.

Why can't I quit this game? :( (48 hours later I was back into it). Now I have completed the placements and I stand at low gold, 2045SR. 5 wins, 5 losses, one of them was a disaster match, and another I forgot about "when is not the time to charge as Rein". But in the end I'm kinda ok because it is much higher than I was expecting (I was scared of "If I get placed in bronce I won't be able to deal with this shame"), bad because one defeat and it will send me to the Silver rank. So I may not touch the Comp ever again, at least as solo queue.

The following things have happened since I began playing comp (just the 10 placements):

- I have become a one trick pony. While I used to rotate between two tanks and two healers, I am too afraid of causing the downfall of the team and losing first the placements, then the SR. So I haven't played Mercy or Lucio in comp for some time, and I have discarded D'Va too. Right now I'm a Reindhard Main for fear of screwing up with other characters.
- While occasions of voice chat happen more often, it keep happening in complete french. While I can understand basic text messages (Thanks, Duolingo), the voice is a different beast. And they sounded angry as heck.
- Toxicity worsens "You are retards, I have X golds on zenyattta". Then another player asking to shut up since he was undermining the team morale and making things worse.
- Leavers in comp are more frequent than I expected, despite the higher penalty.
- The enemy is starting to show serious tactics in comp. In Lijiang I haven thrown to the abyss countless times by a Phara, something that had never ever happened before. Steamrollings are a real thing now.

Other trends that I have noticed:
- Despite the nerf, lots of annoying Roadhogs.
- I see far less Mercys and more Zenyattas
- Also surprising that you find far less snipers and a lot more junkrats.
- Winston dives are much less common lately (QP)

For now I think I Am not playing comp on my own as it will be a disaster. I now dislike QP even more and I see it purely as training grounds for different characters. Unless I can team up with somebody, I'm not getting into competitive. Also, I'm going to try and lower my sens even more from the current 1600/7. Which makes me thing about what's the right sens for Rein. A lower sens would help with firestrike, but a high one (16, as I use on Mercy) would allow moving the shield and turning fast.

Lucio is the anti roadhog. They won't rest with the buffs until his usage % in pro play becomes 100. That fucking god damn buff they gave him was so unnecessary
They've actually nerfed him numerous times since the game launched.

Even the 'buff' you speak of is debateable. He got better fighting, but he lost a ton of support capability with the aura nerf. I think he's in an awesome spot now because of how fun is he to play. But I suppose he doesn't need all those offensive capabilities to still be really useful, he'd still get picked if they reverted his gun changes.

Top Bottom