• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

jviggy43

Everyone would be complaining about him again if they do that.

Nerfing Mercy will make her Hog bad as well, Rez is really all she's got.

By everyone you mean players who don't understand positioning in this game. Again, he wasn't an issue at high level and pro play, which should tell you youre doing something wrong if hes that big of an issue for you.

They should revert him back no questions. He served the role he was built for

rulerk1

You know it's bad when your three stack of Widow main, hanzo , and a dude who just had to play junkrat can't even kill a bastion. The second they leave I start winning. Bums!

Phu

Banned
By everyone you mean players who don't understand positioning in this game. Again, he wasn't an issue at high level and pro play, which should tell you youre doing something wrong if hes that big of an issue for you.

He wasn't even an issue down at mid level play.

Every time I watch any of Seagull's videos I always feel like I need to work on my verticality with heroes that allow it. Some of the movement he does through levels (especially KOTH) is ridiculous.

Every time I watch any of Seagull's videos I always feel like I need to work on my verticality with heroes that allow it. Some of the movement he does through levels (especially KOTH) is ridiculous.
Seagulls videos are the only ones I feel like instantly had a direct impact on my skill. Like I watched his videos and instantly was better. My Pharah improved a lot once I saw how creative you can get with the concussive.

ISOM

What's the point of being more aggressive in a hook if he can't finish a kill? This buff is not for team play but for picks. But he can't even finish half the picks that he could have done before. Makes no sense.

Blues1990

He was perfectly fine before the nerf, but lower ranked players kept nagging Blizzard to nerf him and they finally gave up and did it.

I also disagree with the general stance on a tank who protects their team ONLY through soaking damage. A tank can ALSO have the roles of creating space for their team to work in and initiating fights, two things Roadhog used to do in spades. His hook used to provide a 20m range of threat for his team to work within and work as a means to initiate fights. Now the only thing he's good for is being an ultimate battery for the enemy team.

They might as well do an entire rework of Roadhog. His whole character is based around killing badly positioned enemy players with his hook. Take away that, and you have a character with an identity crisis.

Manoko

Blizzard has f*cking lost it.
These changes make no sense, no matter how you try to look at them.

I wish they'd just stop being so prideful and admit that nerf was uncalled for and wrong, and revert it already.
Especially now that Reaper has been buffed and would counter old Hog very effectively, as it was intended all along: Hog misses his hook on Reaper, he loses the duel.

MartyStu

McCree has a lower floor than soldier thats for sure but he also has a higher ceiling if his shooting is on point (Although ult's might tip it to soldier). But soldier isn't a problem. Sure he excels at a few things but it isn't game breaking or dictating the meta in its current state and if its doing neither of those things I'd rather we just leave him be so as not ruin another character.

I do not think this is really true.

Soldier has a ton of tools to do work. With McCree, if your aim and positioning are not on point, then he is only marginally more useful than a Bronze Hanzo.

I don't really understand why balancing around high level play is supposed to be the only way to do it. People are bad in various ways, sure, but people are also good in various ways.

As per your example, how is it balanced if a composition is useless in high level play? If high skill balance is supposed to be the only real balance, then Bastion/Torb/Sym would be have to be viable there. You might counter that those characters are low skill characters so they should be trash...but they're specifically low mechanical skill characters. To use them effectively requires strong game sense in predicting and surprising enemy players rather than particularly strong aiming.

And that's the basic crux of the argument. Overwatch is specifically a game that is meant to be accepting of all sorts of gamers, low and high mechanical skill level. Characters like Symmetra and Winston are designed for just that, so people who can't aim can still contribute to the game through other kinds of skill. It just isn't the sort of game where a twitchy, precise aimer can dominate the entire game. And that's what makes it a bitch to actually balance. How much do value do you place on mechanical skill over other kinds of skill? How much do you isolate a characters utility to their roles?

I totally agree there is an argument to be made for "just git gud". But there is a limit to that argument. I've yet to see proof or even hear a solid reasoning why balancing solely around high level play all the way with no mind paid to lower levels is a good idea, especially when a lot of high level play is going to be using teamwork that isn't going to be present in lower levels, not through any lack of skill on the players part, but because a lot of people don't have mics to communicate or some people are simply never ever going to develop the kind of skill high players have. Bastion is an ]example of being a character being a terror and then later being a joke as you skill up. But that's a really extreme example. Something like Soldier's damage is more of an insidious problem. Soldier isn't overpowered in a big way and you can take him out with a lot of other characters, but he's powerful enough that he's got an edge on most characters, both through his damage and his very generous abilities. Mercy is another example. She's a low skill character that's rarely brought out in tournament play (usually only to help a Pharah) so you can easily say she's balanced, but she's still making the game hell because of her "Lol, hiros nevah dye!" BS because lower level players can't kill her easily enough. She's balanced for high level play, yet something still needs to be done about her for us scrubs to continue having fun.

Edit: Widowmaker is another one. She's so high skilled that she is effectively useless in all but the most mechanically talented of players. Even in protournaments in the best hands, she's only situational. And it's such a problem on consoles that the only people who can make use of her are m/kb cheaters. She may as well not be selectable until you hit Masters. That's not a balanced character to me at all.

thats the problem, overwatch is balanced(for the most part) around the bottom feeders who arent good at anything. dumbo kaplan has already stated as much

This...makes no sense. Who the hell wants this? It doesn't make Roadhog a better tank. Who the fuck is going to run into the enemy team like an idiot while huffing gas? How would that help the team at all? You feed them less ult? But why wouldn't I just use a shield tank and feed ZERO ult while still blocking shots?

Edit: And people on the forums are HAPPY about it? WHAT?

rofl yup:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758316091?page=6#post-112

jviggy43

He was perfectly fine before the nerf, but lower ranked players kept nagging Blizzard to nerf him and they finally gave up and did it.

I also disagree with the general stance on a tank who protects their team ONLY through soaking damage. A tank can ALSO have the roles of creating space for their team to work in and initiating fights, two things Roadhog used to do in spades. His hook used to provide a 20m range of threat for his team to work within and work as a means to initiate fights. Now the only thing he's good for is being an ultimate battery for the enemy team.

They might as well do an entire rework of Roadhog. His whole character is based around killing badly positioned enemy players with his hook. Take away that, and you have a character with an identity crisis.

Blizzard has f*cking lost it.
These changes make no sense, no matter how you try to look at them.

I wish they'd just stop being so prideful and admit that nerf was uncalled for and wrong, and revert it already.
Especially now that Reaper has been buffed and would counter old Hog very effectively, as it was intended all along: Hog misses his hook on Reaper, he loses the duel.

You all make me proud.

I do not think this is really true.

Soldier has a ton of tools to do work. With McCree, if your aim and positioning are not on point, then he is only marginally more useful than a Bronze Hanzo.
Thats exactly what I mean by floor. Soldier's worst is still likely to be higher than McCrees worst in a game.

Gorillaz

I always looked at people like Hog and 76 was already their bone to people on the lower end of the game from a gamesense standpoint. You have a literal cod character and a 1 shot killing tank with his own health pool.

Hell same with bastion and Dva to an extent. OW already has a low floor for actual shooting mechanics in most of it's roster to the point my first impressions I honestly wasn't feeling OW during the beta last year for barely being a FPS to me

What else is there left? It already caters to everyone

I always looked at people like Hog and 76 was already their bone to people on the lower end of the game from a gamesense standpoint. You have a literal cod character and a 1 shot killing tank with his own health pool.

Hell same with bastion and Dva to an extent. OW already has a low floor for actual shooting mechanics in most of it's roster to the point my first impressions I honestly wasn't feeling OW during the beta last year for barely being a FPS to me

What else is there left? It already caters to everyone

Really? I always looked at Symmetra, Mercy, Lucio, Junkrat, Winston, and Pharah as the bone.

randome

Is maintenance being performed at peak play times? It says so but I'm playing right now just fine. Scared to do competitive though.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
That Hog buff is just sticking Band-Aids where there aren't wounds. All it's gonna do is ensure Hog gets to live longer so he can feed ults more.

That Hog buff is just sticking Band-Aids where there aren't wounds. All it's gonna do is ensure Hog gets to live longer so he can feed ults more.
Hopefully he "squee"s like a piggy when shot during this so he becomes a full tier joke character. Hook someone in, almost die, puff up and SQUEE away!

I would say in that group junk, mercy and sym the most but yea you could make cases for all of it

those 2 I said were the first 2 off the top of my head
I just can't see how Soldier is low skill. Sure, his heroic is the ultimate noob button, but the rest of him takes a lot of skill. It might be a familiar transition character (like how all fighting games have a "Ryu"), but he's not noob-friendly in general.

We have some news on the penalty and reporting changes! Problem is, it seems like some of these changes will be coming over the next several months and not immediately like we would hope.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758356169

It's pretty sparse for details but the highlights

- Increased penalties for reports of bad behavior
- Scaling competitive season bans
- Notification system that lets users know when action has been taken on reported players
- Penalties for abusing the reporting tool
- Console reporting function will be coming (Blizzard pls)

Gorillaz

Hopefully he "squee"s like a piggy when shot during this so he becomes a full tier joke character. Hook someone in, almost die, puff up and SQUEE away!

I just can't see how Soldier is low skill. Sure, his heroic is the ultimate noob button, but the rest of him takes a lot of skill. It might be a familiar transition character (like how all fighting games have a "Ryu"), but he's not noob-friendly in general.

Soldier's kit is the most basic for anybody with at least 2 hours of experience playing a modern shooter. Which is why I joked and called him CoD guy. He's pretty easy to understand.

LiK

We have some news on the penalty and reporting changes! Problem is, it seems like some of these changes will be coming over the next several months and not immediately like we would hope.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758356169

It's pretty sparse for details but the highlights

- Increased penalties for reports of bad behavior
- Scaling competitive season bans
- Notification system that lets users know when action has been taken on reported players
- Penalties for abusing the reporting tool
- Console reporting function will be coming (Blizzard pls)

Console reporting still coming....argh

Nimby

Banned
Just. Give. Him. Back. One-shot. Combo.

I am still not seeing why you play Roadhog vs. another tank with this change. You're still feeding ult, just less of it. Play Rein and feed no ult, or play Zarya and get rewarded with energy for tanking damage.

Really? I always looked at Symmetra, Mercy, Lucio, Junkrat, Winston, and Pharah as the bone.

Most of those players have a lot of buttons to fumble with (not Lucio). But not D.Va, Soldier, or 'Hog: you can get kills and put in work with them without really using any "exotic" abilities at the lower levels. It's more about ease of use mixed with survivability and familiarity.

Is maintenance being performed at peak play times? It says so but I'm playing right now just fine. Scared to do competitive though.

I played QP for the last hour and a half. It was a shit-show of emoting and "Hi!"s, like everyone was on a snow holiday, but it scratched an itch, I guess.

Getting annoyed with people not being in VC. Communicated to some dude the whole match and realized he wasn't in VC until the end of the game.

Soldier's kit is the most basic for anybody with at least 2 hours of experience playing a modern shooter. Which is why I joked and called him CoD guy. He's pretty easy to understand.

The only FPS online console game I ever played before OW was a couple months of Modern Warfare a decade ago, so yes, I think you're right. He was also incredibly boring after a week or two, for that very reason.

I think I missed the people more than the game.

But I definitely didn't not have fun. So that's something.

I actually just thought of you while I was playing tonight (for whatever reason, you are always the enemy Tracer in my mind).
I was soloing Tracer with a 5-stack against another single and 5-stack. The two stacks were sitting around having an emote party (QP) and me and the other solo (on Tracer as well) were going at it, killing each other and trying to spawn camp the other guy.

After a few minutes, the other Tracer comes out of spawn and waves, so I wait. She runs triangle patterns on the ground a few times, then blinks and waits. I follow her and she leads me over to the emoters. She makes another triangle on the ground and I get what she wants. Ults.

We both ult the emoter group and absolutely, positively kill every motherfucker in the room.

Anyway, good call on the ults, there. Glad you're back.

Top Bottom