• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

PatzCU

Throwers have been really stepping it up today. Have only experienced them a handful of times before, but I've managed to have 3 games ruined by throwers today.

Just came out of one game with this guy who was even called ZenyataOrIThrow or something. Instalocked Junkrat and after that started playing Widow. After swiftly losing the first round (Control) he turned on his mic stating (with this incredibly bratty voice) demanding he wanted a second healer or he was going to throw. I switched to Zen but in reality me and my team just didn't want to have anything to do with this guy so we stopped playing anyway.

Fucking throwers.

I ran into 3x throwers in a row last night after having not seen one for MONTHS. As far as I'm aware, blizzard isn't taking any serious action against these people. Which leaves me to wonder why I still bother with OW. The community seems to be concentrating into a toxic mess (on PC) and the matchmaking in competitive hasn't changed since its inception despite same glaring flaws. All the while blizzard focuses on microtransaction events with a few maps and new modes sprinkled in.

I really enjoy the gameplay and characters in OW but it's all being overshadowed by a poor experience in competitive. Makes me really sad. At this rate I may give PU Battlegrounds a look as at least my ability to play isn't as dependent on 5 random strangers and the game seems to be built with competition and balancing in mind.

Seriously, sometimes the game is fine until you hear people actually talking and sound like goofballs. Which is why I prefer the silence.

Yeah me too. I actually find I perform better as a result of turning off chat. If I'm support and chat is on I turn into too much of a people pleaser which can be a massive detriment. And when people explode it completely wrecks my concentration and I lose where I am.

LiK

Yeah me too. I actually find I perform better as a result of turning off chat. If I'm support and chat is on I turn into too much of a people pleaser which can be a massive detriment. And when people explode it completely wrecks my concentration and I lose where I am.

Yup, I do way better with Zen with comms off. Zen requires a lot of concentration juggling between healing, discording and shooting. Whenever I'm in team chat as Zen, it's just annoying to deal with.

Embrace tranquility by not joining team chat.

Owzers

6-1 soloq tonight, I'm unstoppable outside of when I was stopped. My last game had a Mei thrower on the other side, just says hi to people. A teammate had them on their team the previous game so that was nice for them to get their win. The time I lost I was with and average four stack, next game I was against them on koth and won
3-0.

Blues1990

Not sure if you guys are interested, but if you wanted a hoodie that is patterned after a character from the game, JINX is creating a line of some sweet Overwatch-themed hoodies. Currently, they have D.Va, Lucio, Genji, Zarya, Reinhardt, Widowmaker, and Roadhog, but other heroes will be added down the road.

I'm ordering a hoodie that is patterned after my sweet summer child of a frog-based DJ, as I had a coupon that given me 40% off the price.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Not sure if you guys are interested, but if you wanted a hoodie that is patterned after a character from the game, JINX is creating a line of some sweet Overwatch-themed hoodies. Currently, they have D.Va, Lucio, Genji, Zarya, Reinhardt, Widowmaker, and Roadhog, but other heroes will be added down the road.

I'm ordering a hoodie that is patterned after my sweet summer child of a frog-based DJ, as I had a coupon that given me 40% off the price.

I like the Lucio and Genji but would only wear Lucios because weab

but I'd probably wait for Winston's.

Azoor

No Mercy yet, SMH.

LiK

Hello darkness my old friend

You back this weekend?

6-1 soloq tonight, I'm unstoppable outside of when I was stopped. My last game had a Mei thrower on the other side, just says hi to people. A teammate had them on their team the previous game so that was nice for them to get their win. The time I lost I was with and average four stack, next game I was against them on koth and won
3-0.

Looks like you'll reach Masters soon at this rate.

Blues1990

A zen one could be cool too

I'm just not a huge fan of black/green hoodies. I would have been way more into it if the black and green were rotated

It did mention that they will do colour variants for the hoodies sometime down the road, and I honestly wouldn't mind an inverse of the Black/Green theme.

I think Torbjorn's colour scheme (Red/Gold/Silver) will look awesome, along with Pharah's Blue/Gold colour scheme. Soldier's will probably be Red, White, and Blue. 'Cause USA and all that.

Blues1990

I love playing as Reaper. Anyone have any tips I may not know about?

While it's tempting, don't leap into the middle of an enemy team and deploy Reaper's ult, as it's a very bad habit to get into. Instead, deploy Death Blossom when enemies are either distracted by teammates or are knocked down. You're an easy target the second it starts.

Also, characters with knockback (like Pharah or Lucio) are especially dangerous. They can push Reaper away and eat him for brunch. Reaper also sucks in long-ranged engagements.

Banzai

Daily update on my road to Diamond: 2805->2872
I probably won't play for a while due to the Crash collection arriving today, though.

By the way, what would you consider a DPS counter to McCree? Enemy team had a beast McCree so I went Genji and at least got off a couple of HighNoon-reflects but Genji is hardly my most effective hero.

Blues1990

I probably won't play for a while due to the Crash collection arriving today, though.

By the way, what would you consider a DPS counter to McCree? Enemy team had a beast McCree so I went Genji and at least got off a couple of HighNoon-reflects but Genji is hardly my most effective hero.

Anyone who can sit at a range counters McCree, as his damage falloff is insane. If you can keep your distance, Pharah can blow McCree to Kingdom Come (unless if you're dealing with one of those players where if he/she is really good & can outplay you no matter who you are). Without that Flashbang, McCree doesn't do too hot against high mobility heroes. (Tracer can blink forward, turn around, and crit. Genji can deflect, throw stars, and dash.)

Hanzo and Widowmaker are others, along with Solider: 76.

Not sure which dps counters mcree but a good Winston will wreck a mcree always.

Backlogger

I'm only 1 wins in my first 6 placement matches. Been really busy with work so I'm way behind. I've gotten 2-3 gold medals every match and probably played one of my best soldier matches tonight. If I rank like 1500 I think I'm done playing solo comp with this game. Just can't ever seem to eek out a win and not sure I have the patience to solo grind out of a low rank

Edit: also most of these matches were really close, with the exception of one

Banzai

Anyone who can sit at a range counters McCree, as his damage falloff is insane. If you can keep your distance, Pharah can blow McCree to Kingdom Come (unless if you're dealing with one of those players where if he/she is really good & can outplay you no matter who you are). Without that Flashbang, McCree doesn't do too hot against high mobility heroes. (Tracer can blink forward, turn around, and crit. Genji can deflect, throw stars, and dash.)

Hanzo and Widowmaker are others, along with Solider: 76.

Not sure which dps counters mcree but a good Winston will wreck a mcree always.

I got absolutely wrecked by him when I was Pharah, even with a Mercy on my ass. Snipers wouldn't have been a great idea because there was a decent Tracer running around, too (nevermind that I absolutely suck with snipers).
I guess going triple tank with a Winston or even new Road would have been best. Ah well, live and learn. It was still a fun game ending in a 2-3 loss on oasis.

Yager

Banned
Yeah I wish you played with us sometimes, I've seen more than my fair share of greedy Mercys over the past few weeks. It's almost as if the Mercy player is willing more people on our team to die so she can bring us all back. Besides, she'll get ult back in no time so there is no need to hold onto it for too long.

I'll play. I don't have a mic tho. PSN: Berserking-Guts. It's a bad gamble to wait for an outcome for rez. As Mercy you're living on borrowed time against a good team. Dying while waiting to get that 'magical ult' is worse then if you just rezzed one person. I prefer to just concentrate on healing/buffing and if crap starts going down I ult.

I find Mercy is a bit of a multitasker too. I don't want to allocate concentration I should be using on heal juggling and situational awarness with rez delusions.

I'll take a good Mercy healer over an alright mercy rez anyday.

I'll buy you an Xbox one and one year of gold if that means I don't have to play more Mercy this season T_T

BTW Legacy, my connection went to shit last night and couldn't log into Xbox Live with my console. Now it's back again, but I don't know if I'll be playing today. Probably friday-saturday, and on sunday I'll be on most of the day.

Mendrox

Urgh, Overwatch dies everytime I play now. Graphicsdisplay just dies, but just with Overwatch. Many people have/had that problem and now I have it too since the last patch. ;_; Can't do anything. Updated drivers, deleted them, installed them again, tested other games (PUBG, NieR, they worked like a charme).

Please Blizz.

Tonight was one of the worst nights I've ever had playing Overwatch.

Leavers, disconnects, 2 stacks insta-locking DPS and being complete trash, nobody on mic, dudes refusing to switch from Widow or Hanzo, 4 stacks where none of them pick tank or support, teammates acting so strange that we couldn't tell if they were throwing or not.

HMD

Fuck SR decay, I wish they'd let me play a month's worth of games at a time. It's so stupid that I have to play 7 games every single week.

Tonight was one of the worst nights I've ever had playing Overwatch.

Leavers, disconnects, 2 stacks insta-locking DPS and being complete trash, nobody on mic, dudes refusing to switch from Widow or Hanzo, 4 stacks where none of them pick tank or support, teammates acting so strange that we couldn't tell if they were throwing or not.

Shit was fuckin twilight zone man, even the games we won we had to work way to hard.

I think that first game was a sign.

Ugh of course my decay falls on tonight, and tonight of course has to be the shittiest night ever. So far had a match of getting steammed 0-3 on Illios by a team that couldnt counter a Genji and D.va, followed by the Route 66 match where we have a Torb and Widow/Hanzo on both sides and I get called a shitty Mercy for not being able to keep everyone alive solo while a Winston and Genji are constantly focusing me.

leng jai

Well the honeymoon period is officially over now I've started playing comp. 4 wins 15 losses so far, horrendous. It's ridiculous how many times you know you've already fucked within the first minute of seeing your team.

I love how the "Hanzo" main on our team decides to play seriously as a healer on the opposing team when he gets matched with top 500's yet throws for no reason on our team.

Shit like this makes me really want to quit this game sometimes. If a serious console report feature doesn't come by Season 6 I'm probably hanging this game up

Also got forced to heal in most of my matches tonight, despite people obviously noticing I was a tank main. Now I remember why I gradually shifted toward tanks......you fuck up as a tank, people ask you to change, you fuck up as a Mercy and people bitch about not getting heals or resurrected but don't notice the enemy team constantly diving you and making sure you die first.

3-0.

Can't wait to bring you down.

3-0.
:O

Has Overwatch been made great again?

Sorry guys, but it's LiK x Owzers duo now.
Hey someday I'm going to finish the 200 hour Persona 5 and THEN...

I'm gonna play the Breath of the Wild DLC and finally actually beat the game. And THEN...

Uncharted Lost Legacy. And THEN...

Mario Odyssey. And THEN...

I'll see you all at Blizzcon for my miraculous return to Overwatch. And THEN...

I'll probably get distracted by Ni No Kuni 2.

Fugu

Yup, Diamond is already a mess and getting Masters and GMs decay down to the plebs and getting stomped is stupid.
Diamond is a mess, but this isn't really a thing. While SR decays, MMR doesn't, and your matchmaking will reflect your MMR, not your SR.

I got absolutely wrecked by him when I was Pharah, even with a Mercy on my ass. Snipers wouldn't have been a great idea because there was a decent Tracer running around, too (nevermind that I absolutely suck with snipers).
I guess going triple tank with a Winston or even new Road would have been best. Ah well, live and learn. It was still a fun game ending in a 2-3 loss on oasis.
I... uh... wouldn't recommend using Pharah to counter McCree. It's definitely doable (I run Pharah against everyone) but McCree definitely has the upper hand in that matchup. If you're playing at a decent rank, you probably won't be able to kill him at long range (as Pharah), and killing him at short range requires the confidence to kill him in two hits while avoiding the flashbang.

If you want to do this specifically as Pharah for some reason, here's how I fight McCrees:

1. Start the engagement by sneaking up on him whenever possible. Make sure E is available and that you have some fuel.
2. Assume flashbang is not on cooldown. Your first priority is not getting flashed. To do this, fire a rocket while pressing E at the same time; aim the rocket at McCree but fire the E a bit to the side of him so he gets hit by the rocket but is sent flying. Best case scenario he gets knocked out of range and tosses the flashbang somewhere useless. Worst case you get flashed, but you're still more likely to live than you would have been by letting him just stand there.
3. Fire rockets, win fight. Because you booped him, you know where to aim.

Again, however, I think this situation is pretty favorable for McCree and unless you have a lot of practice this exchange generally doesn't end well for you.

LiK

Hey someday I'm going to finish the 200 hour Persona 5 and THEN...

I'm gonna play the Breath of the Wild DLC and finally actually beat the game. And THEN...

Uncharted Lost Legacy. And THEN...

Mario Odyssey. And THEN...

I'll see you all at Blizzcon for my miraculous return to Overwatch. And THEN...

I'll probably get distracted by Ni No Kuni 2.

You'll be back as soon as next event comes out!

Diamond is a mess, but this isn't really a thing. While SR decays, MMR doesn't, and your matchmaking will reflect your MMR, not your SR.

I don't trust their MM at all. I've been matched with Masters before.

Yager

Banned

Yeah, I know, the times I lost SR because of decay I had a huge SR boost for the games I won, but it's still annoying and makes no sense for it to be on diamond. Diamond is nothing more than a "glorified plat" rank. It should be on Masters, GM and Top 500 because on those 3 you actually lose your rank if you go down.

Alucrid

Banned

if you're having that much trouble get a dva to stand in his face

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Payload nearly reaching point, we gathered up to go as a group.

We motioned towards it, and then I transed so that we could contest on the payload to stop it reaching point.

4 people just hung back shooting outside of trans range.

I shouldn't have come back.

https://mindgames.blog/

Has this blog been posted yet?

It's Jake from LG Evil. He basically lays out opinions on various states of the game in a clear, well-written way that lets you see his logic.

His most recent post centers around the issue of SR and touches on OTPs.

dawgparty

What...the...fuck. I ended last season at 2600-ish and won 6/10 of my placements this season....1900. What the shit is the algorithm here?

3-0.

You must suck all the good luck out of people when you're in a group with them and then use it all after in solo queue. It's the only explanation.

Sorry guys, but it's LiK x Owzers duo now.

I'm going to group up with Ned and Vault and the three of us will play one game on Hanamura and all end up yelling and destroying our PS4s.

EDIT:
Payload nearly reaching point, we gathered up to go as a group.

We motioned towards it, and then I transed so that we could contest on the payload to stop it reaching point.

4 people just hung back shooting outside of trans range.

I shouldn't have come back.

I had the opposite happen. I was Reinhardt defending on the payload and teammate Zen popped Transcendence so I dropped my shield and started going ham.

Immediately died because the Zen left the payload and retreated as soon as he popped his ult. Why.

Top Bottom