• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate Lucio. He is always well protected by smart teams, but can actually fight well, and is a huge pain in the ass to pin down since he moves around like a madman. Me as pharah trying hopelessly to kill the healer because my team think it's a good idea to hurt the enemy without actually killing anyone = sad panda.

At least Mercy doesn't run! And she is made of paper!

Lucio will be nerfed eventually, almost willing to bet on it.

Op support is still op

It will become more obvious once Widowmaker and Mccree are toned down

Gorillaz

Op support is still op

It will become more obvious once Windowmaker and Mccree are toned down

I actually thought to myself too about Lucio. I think he will be nerfed down the line definitely after the heavy hitters are already done tho.

darklin0

Banned
This guy added me yesterday night after a match, and it was weird as hell when we played a game. He deleted me after lol
I feel that will happen to me as well lol. I am not even shy about talking with randoms either. I just tend to have a weird habit of not adding randoms.

Oddly enough a random added me on the second day and now we pretty much group every night. Like I said, I am weird.

Apathy

I would really be interested to know how they calculate mmr, cause sometimes matchmaking is too lopsided. Like i know level does not equal skill, but level does equal some experience. Usually I'll get paired with competent people of my own or higher level, and then it'll toss me into games with <20 levels.

Like I don't know what this game is thinking at times, because in cases like that level does play into how good someone is. Like not shooting at genji when he is deflecting or knowing map layouts and knowing where normal ambushes come from

I hate Lucio. He is always well protected by smart teams, but can actually fight well, and is a huge pain in the ass to pin down since he moves around like a madman. Me as pharah trying hopelessly to kill the healer because my team think it's a good idea to hurt the enemy without actually killing anyone = sad panda.

Pharah has the benefit of disrupting his movement more than most. Especially to knock him off the wall, since all her shots have knockback.

peakish

I think Lucio is perfectly fine. He's powerful, which is great. I'd rather every character be like him than nerfed and boring.

That's a relatively low skill perspective on him of course. If high level players start complaining en masse I'll take their word on it like I do for WM.

Zaventem

I would really be interested to know how they calculate mmr, cause sometimes matchmaking is too lopsided. Like i know level does not equal skill, but level does equal some experience. Usually I'll get paired with competent people of my own or higher level, and then it'll toss me into games with <20 levels.

Like I don't know what this game is thinking at times, because in cases like that level does play into how good someone is. Like not shooting at genji when he is deflecting or knowing map layouts and knowing where normal ambushes come from

Yeah, i keep seeing people say "level doesn't equal skill!" but i have a 58% win rate and sometimes get thrown in level 1s or seeing super high level guys on my side mowing down a really low level team.. You cannot tell me that's how it's supposed to be working unless it just matches people up regardless of level if it has too.

I like swapping to the blaster and taking out asshole Reapers or McCrees who think I'm easy picking just because I'm Mercy. :p They usually get really bold too cause "lulz Mercy, what's she gonna do", and come at me at half health or so and die. Her blaster is actually pretty damn good. And a Mercy who knows how to actually handle it well can be a massive pain in the ass too. I had a game as Pharah where I got killed like 3 or 4 times by Mercy.

Op support is still op

Yeah I think Lucio is really powerful. There's a reason why he's THE single most played support in both competitive play and pubs. But really all he needs is a bit of a damage nerf.

He's perfectly fine in any other way - his buffs are strong but not too strong, his movement gives him solid survivability, but he's also really powerful as a damage dealer. His shots are hard to hit, but a good player can be accurate with any weapon, so he can deal almost as much damage as an offense hero while also buffing/healing his teammates and flailing about like he's a one-man Cirque du Soleil.

Alex

I always sort of wished Mercy had that Lt. Morales talent from HotS where she heals herself for a portion of her target, rather than he current passive. She's so easy to dive compared to Lucio, especially considering she can't heal and damage at the same time as well.

Apathy

I hate this forced 50% matchmaking and most people are going to get to the point where they feel the same.

It's bullshit, if a pug is good let them stay together, don't break them up and forced people 1. into half finished games and 2. half finished games where they are already going to lose no matter what.

It makes no sense. Pissing people off is the fastest way to have your fame fail.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Losing 5 games in a row really fucking sucks. Made me turn off the game for rest of the evening. :(

Losing 5 games in a row really fucking sucks. Made me turn off the game for rest of the evening. :(

Try literally spawning into a Defeat screen 4 times consecutively, right as you connect. :/

I have a w/l ratio of like 2/16, and while I'm not great by any means, I do think I contributed well, but it's disheartening to get flattened regardless. Guess that's the woes of being a newbie. Everybody else is too.

The matchmaker also doesn't help even things up, either. Today I played in a group where I was level 6, everybody else was 2 or 3, and the enemy team was entirely composed of 6-9.

Alex

I hate this forced 50% matchmaking and most people are going to get to the point where they feel the same.

It's bullshit, if a pug is good let them stay together, don't break them up and forced people 1. into half finished games and 2. half finished games where they are already going to lose no matter what.

It makes no sense. Pissing people off is the fastest way to have your fame fail.

They need to probably strengthen the leaving penalty and do something about queueing into ending games, I agree that is silly.

Forced 50% doesn't exist though, just like it didn't exist in HotS. Ranked isn't even out yet first of all so half the players are barely serious or learning things and also unless the game takes MMR to per-character there will always be some faults.

peakish

They need to probably strengthen the leaving penalty and do something about queueing into ending games, I agree that is silly.
Queuing into finished games sucks, but because of overtime the game can't exactly tell when a game is lost. If the choice is between leaving a team 5v6 when they actually could have won (it's not very common but I've joined late games which have been won, even from the first payload stretch which makes me laugh at the RQ:er) or making a sixth player waste a couple of minutes for stats and a map change I prefer the first option. The only thing that grinds me about joining a losing game is when the server shuts down afterwards, making the time perfectly wasted, just not sure what is to be done with it.

Strengthening the leaving penalty could be good as a deterrent. Although I feel for those with poor internet connections ...

Rize_21

I always sort of wished Mercy had that Lt. Morales talent from HotS where she heals herself for a portion of her target, rather than he current passive. She's so easy to dive compared to Lucio, especially considering she can't heal and damage at the same time as well.

Her gun reloads automatically if you use it and switch to the wand, that animation is really short, Mercy can be as dangerous than Lucio, no doubt about it, she can engage a Mc Cree without trouble whereas Lucio has to run for his life against him.

I think I am the worst player on Gaf... 56 games / 17 wins with 7 hours on the clock. I try to just focus on the objective and don't let the stats get me down. I should have got the console version I just can't compete on the PC version. I do enjoy the game I just wish I could be closer to 50/50.

Proof:
HZLoDCt.jpg

ElyrionX

I've been playing Widowmaker all weekend. She's powerful indeed but when you're having a bad game and missing all your shots, it's like a 5v6 for your team.

Knowing when to switch away to another hero is probably the key to playing Widow well in pubs. For example, I was doing really well playing her on Gibraltar attack but realized I was a lot less effective in the push in the final stretch so I switched to Lucio to help with sustaining the push and we won the game rather quickly after.

The problem with pubs is that a lot of people stick to one hero the whole match regardless of whether they are doing well or not. That's fine for versatile all-rounders like Lucio, S76, etc. But for heroes like Widow, Reaper and Tracer, not doing well with them can really handicap your team so knowing when to drop them and switch mid-game to another hero is very important.

Her gun reloads automatically if you use it and switch to the wand, that animation is really short, Mercy can be as dangerous than Lucio, no doubt about it, she can engage a Mc Cree without trouble whereas Lucio has to run for his life against him.

I wouldn't say "without trouble". McCree can just as easily take her down as anyone else. In fact I'd argue Lucio has an easier time because he can pepper McCree with high damage shots while running and jumping around (especially a good Lucio who knows how to use the wallglides and utilized the speed buff), while Mercy has no escape unless there's a teammate nearby she can jump to.

I think Mercy would be a lot better if her jump would be usable without teammates as well, allowing her a way to establish or close distance even without a teammate nearby.

I think I am the worst player on Gaf... 56 games / 17 wins with 7 hours on the clock. I try to just focus on the objective and don't let the stats get me down. I should have got the console version I just can't compete on the PC version. I do enjoy the game I just wish I could be closer to 50/50.

Proof:

well you should try not get so stuck on W/L and enjoy the game. i suck too but having fun.

exfatal

Man trying to find some GAF homies to group up with for ps4, dont normally group with people i dont know but so boring playing this by myself :(

eek5

Proof:
What heroes are you using?

This might sound dumb, but is there a way to use a mouse coupled with non-WASD controls? My dumb fingers accidentally launch my Ult sometimes when they dance on the WASD keys like a DDR pad. I'm picturing a wiimote nunchuck: using the joystick for movement, having the nunchuck's C button assigned to E, and Z button be left shift. Any ideas? Is something like this even feasible?

I have the same issues with wasd. I use a PlayStation move navigation controller for movement. M
oninjoy and better ds3 for the drivers and to map buttons respectively.

Heng

Proof:
When I was around the 10 hour mark, my win percentage was somewhere near 10% (I wanted to learn Hanzo before I got too high and have people bitch at me for being high level and sucking with Hanzo). Now my win percent is a little over 51% (although it was around 58% at one point then I played while I was tilted :/).

Don't worry about your win percent and focus on getting better at the game and having fun. Your problem might just be from not playing the right hero yet or just not use to aiming with the mouse. With a little bit of time, you will become better and better.

Rize_21

I wouldn't say "without trouble". McCree can just as easily take her down as anyone else. In fact I'd argue Lucio has an easier time because he can pepper McCree with high damage shots while running and jumping around (especially a good Lucio who knows how to use the wallglides and utilized the speed buff), while Mercy has no escape unless there's a teammate nearby she can jump to.

I think Mercy would be a lot better if her jump would be usable without teammates as well, allowing her a way to establish or close distance even without a teammate nearby.

yep, the glide should've been an ability when switching to the gun, might be cool to have some upgrade like this for her, at least she can glide to souls to escape too...
The thing with Lucio is that I rarely use speed boost once fights have started because it can mess up badly with my teammates' aim :/ any streamer playing high level Lucio to follow? I'd really like to watch one.

Whales

Banned
mercy is already ridiculous, she doesn't need a buff at all. Her ult buuilds in literally 5 secs and its one of the best in the game. Gliding without needing to see a teammate? no thanks

the only support who needs a buff is zenyatta, and he only needs more survivability ( and less buildup for his ult)

Cynar

Try literally spawning into a Defeat screen 4 times consecutively, right as you connect. :/

I have a w/l ratio of like 2/16, and while I'm not great by any means, I do think I contributed well, but it's disheartening to get flattened regardless. Guess that's the woes of being a newbie. Everybody else is too.

The matchmaker also doesn't help even things up, either. Today I played in a group where I was level 6, everybody else was 2 or 3, and the enemy team was entirely composed of 6-9.
Spawning into a defeat or joining mid match will not count as a loss at least so cheer up. &#128077;

Sora_N

Proof:

Well you have most 19 elminations in one game, that's pretty good already.

What character do you usually use?

Artanisix

Op support is still op

possibly. that being said, mercy is the most broke support in the game... in competitive the whole game revolves around her rez ultimate

mercy is already ridiculous, she doesn't need a buff at all. Her ult buuilds in literally 5 secs and its one of the best in the game. Gliding without needing to see a teammate? no thanks

the only support who needs a buff is zenyatta, and he only needs more survivability ( and less buildup for his ult)

Well I heard Blizzard might be looking into nerfing her ult.
The thing is, giving her an ability to escape would at least make her more playable in pubs. If you have a coordinated team that knows to protect their support, then yes, Mercy is a beast, but so is Lucio, if not more so.

Do agree with Zenyatta needing a buff, but to be honest I don't even consider him a support just cause he has a tiny heal and his ult can heal a bit too. He should be in the Offense group.

Spawning into a defeat or joining mid match will not count as a loss at least so cheer up. &#65533;&#65533;

That's good, thanks for the heads up.

possibly. that being said, mercy is the most broke support in the game... in competitive the whole game revolves around her rez ultimate

I disagree with her being broke or even OP. She's very strong, but Lucio is better as a support, even though his raw healing output isn't as high as Mercy's.

Apathy

I can see them lowering the rate of her ult building up, it's crazy how fast she gets it now

ExVicis

I can see them lowering the rate of her ult building up, it's crazy how fast she gets it now
It really is, if you're a fast burst character and you aren't running around ambushing Mercy and destroying her first, you're doing it completely wrong.

ramyeon

Defeat after defeat after defeat is really getting to me. A lot of people seem to have mastered their heroes by this point and I feel like I'm just not there yet.

Defeat after defeat after defeat is really getting to me. A lot of people seem to have mastered their heroes by this point and I feel like I'm just not there yet.

I know how you feel, haha. <_<
It's especially bad that the matchmaker CONSTANTLY puts me onto attack, and almost always into control point maps too, so I rarely get to play the hero I am actually good with (Symmetra).

I know that feel, but I always remind myself that any loss is usually just as much about bad teamwork as it is your own personal skill. I've fought matches against a red team that was just rock solid when it came to working together, and unless you can get your own team to mesh together against something like that, it's almost completely hopeless a lot of the time. And no matter how much of a bad streak I seem to go on, eventually I just hit that match where everything clicks (or my loss streak has gone on too long and the match-making is trying to throw me a bone), and the buzz I get from that long awaited win makes me fall in love with this game all over again.

LAM09

Zenyatta needs more life for sure. I believe that was the case in a previous beta

Personally I'm a proponent of buffing, not nerfing. Make the other supports as versatile as Lucio, don't nerf him. Otherwise there will be even less support players than there are now.

Whales

Banned
Well I heard Blizzard might be looking into nerfing her ult.
The thing is, giving her an ability to escape would at least make her more playable in pubs. If you have a coordinated team that knows to protect their support, then yes, Mercy is a beast, but so is Lucio, if not more so.

but she can already escape. She can already glide to another teammate that isn't as close to the action. It works well like this IMO

54.97% W/R doing math with the stat from the game.

and now level 61 so new portrait!
but who will actually go so high in the level to go gold or silver lol.

ExVicis

I forget has Blizzard said anything about fixing maps, because Anubis and Route 66 are really terrible and I'm getting really tired of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom