• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grisby

I love this game's art style so much. The fact that dudes aren't busting into squibs makes me feel like I'm playing a Saturday morning cartoon.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Some people seem to complain about TDM whenever someone isn't on point all the time which annoys me a bit. Being on the point doesn't do anything if you can't cap and only has marginal benefits on defense and payload (when under attack obv.). Unless the situation is critical (close to or in overtime, or knowing that a short delay can be enough for some others of my team to get back) I will try to fight from a better position or retreat to regroup with my respawned team, rather than die pointlessly. If I'm running Pharah or S76 I poke ahead a bit as long as a tank and at least one or two others are on the payload (I generally don't break LOS so that I can return to the line without dying). Although I'm starting to get to the point where this is dangerous because of Widows, in which case I stay closer to the group (also if I know the other team is running a comp that easily traps me like McCrees or Roadhogs).

That's not me trying to improve my KDR, it's trying to make it difficult for the enemies to reach us or get into good positions unharmed. If this is still bad tactics I'd like to know of course.

Problem is that people break off into their separate paths, die to a concentrated group effort, have to respawn really far away (this holds especially true for numbani) leaving only one character to hold off a whole group.

Ideally it would be nice to have 2 or so characters to go skirmish the fronts a bit, but not 5 at once and also learn to fall back when you know you're outgunned.

Apathy

Can we get a higher boost % in exchange then?

Why? right now shes in a good space for everything except how fast her ult charges. I don't think anyone can say her ult charge happening as fast as it does now compared to everyone else is remotely close to fair, specially how strong it is.

I forget has Blizzard said anything about fixing maps, because Anubis and Route 66 are really terrible and I'm getting really tired of it.

They might if there is significant feedback to do so.

Personally, I'm not a fan of control maps. But I like all the payload, hybrid, and koth maps.

Volskaya, anubis, and hanamura... meh.

But what they have talked about is alterations for higher tier play, perhaps custom games options for competitive mode. But I think this is mostly about health pack locations, but could include other things I think. Maybe they'll do stuff for ranked? Dunno. Those changes are aimed towards changing winrates for off/def in higher tier games without ruining lower tier.

ramyeon

Which heroes are you the best with?
Perhaps that's the issue, I've mostly been rotating heroes I play every game to keep stuff fresh. I probably do best with D.va, Pharrah and Soldier.
I know how you feel, haha. <_<
It's especially bad that the matchmaker CONSTANTLY puts me onto attack, and almost always into control point maps too, so I rarely get to play the hero I am actually good with (Symmetra).
Yeah that's rough, I've been getting a lot of tough attack maps today too which is not fun all in a row.
I know that feel, but I always remind myself that any loss is usually just as much about bad teamwork as it is your own personal skill. I've fought matches against a red team that was just rock solid when it came to working together, and unless you can get your own team to mesh together against something like that, it's almost completely hopeless a lot of the time. And no matter how much of a bad streak I seem to go on, eventually I just hit that match where everything clicks (or my loss streak has gone on too long and the match-making is trying to throw me a bone), and the buzz I get from that long awaited win makes me fall in love with this game all over again.
Yeah that's true, I do feel like it is more often than not that our team is too disorganized while the other team is crazy with their cooperation and plays. Mostly down to people not communicating probably.

What they need to do is fix the explots of the maps where reapers can port to and get out of bounds of the map

Heh, I haven't seen that yet. But the hidden symmetra turrets bug on dorado needs to be fixed asap. There is a spot on the map on the second section where you can hide turrets within the scenery, and they can only be destroyed by AOEs.

Rizific

so, i dont have a lot of time to play due to my 1 month old newborn. currently level 28, been playing since launch. im getting real tired of these long matching making times. im solo queuing and est. time to match is usually between 13-20ish seconds. yeah i know, not very accurate (played wow a bunch and queuing for dungeons). but im having to wait sometimes 2+ mins to get into a game. and to top it off, after the first round i get a bunch of people leaving which forces me into either re-instancing (much quicker) or just having to completely find a new match. i find it hard to believe its constantly taking this long, especially solo queue on pc where im sure the community numbers are healthy.
/rant

ps. mei is bae.

Xeteh

Heh, I haven't seen that yet. But the hidden symmetra turrets bug on dorado needs to be fixed asap. There is a spot on the map on the second section where you can hide turrets within the scenery, and they can only be destroyed by AOEs.

Reaper can teleport in to that statue in the middle of the final point in Anubis and can't be attacked and constantly contests capturing the point.

spiritfox

Why? right now shes in a good space for everything except how fast her ult charges. I don't think anyone can say her ult charge happening as fast as it does now compared to everyone else is remotely close to fair, specially how strong it is.

Cause her ult is the only reason why she gets picked over Lucio right now. It's powerful and I do agree it charges too fast, but nerfing her might totally destroy her viability if you don't give her something else to compensate. While powerful, you can also easily screw up her rez. If you rez poorly you might just end up prolonging the respawn time when they just die right away again. She has good single target heals, but I find most of the time Lucio can keep up with the damage taken. So giving her just a bit more boost would be nice to compensate for longer ult charge times.

Apathy

Youtube has the exploits if you search for them. it's cause whatever tool blizzard is using to build the maps is not really closing them off properly at certain places were geometry meet

Cause her ult is the only reason why she gets picked over Lucio right now. It's powerful and I do agree it charges too fast, but nerfing her might totally destroy her viability if you don't give her something else to compensate. While powerful, you can also easily screw up her rez. If you rez poorly you might just end up prolonging the respawn time when they just die right away again. She has good single target heals, but I find most of the time Lucio can keep up with the damage taken. So giving her just a bit more boost would be nice to compensate for longer ult charge times.

That's a reason shes brought but her healing is also the other. Even if the ult took longer to charge she would still be brought. The arguments whenever someone brings up toning down things is always "oh x won't be brought". but that's almost never true. Her single target healing to get people from possible death is much better than Lucio's and her ult, even if toned down, would still be better if you ran single healer comps for a payload map.

I like all Payload maps except route 66 which I think is the worst of all the Payload maps.

Very much agreed on the control maps. Anubis is awful as is Hanamura. Volskaya is the best designed of them all but that's not saying much.

I've never heard or seen this but I'm intrigued...tell me more.

^

I'm not going to talk about exploits here and have them spread more

so, i dont have a lot of time to play due to my 1 month old newborn. currently level 28, been playing since launch. im getting real tired of these long matching making times. im solo queuing and est. time to match is usually between 13-20ish seconds. yeah i know, not very accurate (played wow a bunch and queuing for dungeons). but im having to wait sometimes 2+ mins to get into a game. and to top it off, after the first round i get a bunch of people leaving which forces me into either re-instancing (much quicker) or just having to completely find a new match. i find it hard to believe its constantly taking this long, especially solo queue on pc where im sure the community numbers are healthy.
/rant

ps. mei is bae.

idk. i solo queue and it's pretty quick 99.9%. no where near over a minute tbh.

ExVicis

They might if there is significant feedback to do so.

Personally, I'm not a fan of control maps. But I like all the payload, hybrid, and koth maps.

Volskaya, anubis, and hanamura... meh.

But what they have talked about is alterations for higher tier play, perhaps custom games options for competitive mode. But I think this is mostly about health pack locations, but could include other things I think. Maybe they'll do stuff for ranked? Dunno. Those changes are aimed towards changing winrates for off/def in higher tier games without ruining lower tier.
I like all Payload maps except route 66 which I think is the worst of all the Payload maps.

Very much agreed on the control maps. Anubis is awful as is Hanamura. Volskaya is the best designed of them all but that's not saying much.

What they need to do is fix the explots of the maps where reapers can port to and get out of bounds of the map

I've never heard or seen this but I'm intrigued...tell me more.

Rizific

idk. i solo queue and it's pretty quick 99.9%. no where near over a minute tbh.

yeah, thats how it was for me in the beginning as well. near instantaneous. might it have something to do with my low level and matchmaking? im sure there arent a lot of lower levels around now. all my regular buddies are now 50+.

peakish

Problem is that people break off into their separate paths, die to a concentrated group effort, have to respawn really far away (this holds especially true for numbani) leaving only one character to hold off a whole group.

Ideally it would be nice to have 2 or so characters to go skirmish the fronts a bit, but not 5 at once and also learn to fall back when you know you're outgunned.
Yeah, you need a solid core to fall back to. Also depends on if your team is running any flankers. Either way you shouldn't overextend and I haven't found the perfect balance for it yet.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
They're awful. I bet if they showed statistics it's defending teams winning 90% of the time.

I'm pretty sure the last report I've heard is that attacking teams win more than the defending ones.

Can't find anything to back it up for now though. Might need to be on my PC to do that.

4b21fdd510192fba1cd586ef0adb6115.png
rip me next patch

My hanzo strategy would be... 5 hanzo, 1 symmetra. Control map. Put the teleporter pad near the control. All 5 hanzo ult from the spawn and then enter the teleporter. All the ults clear the point and hanzos jump in.

I wish we could get some in game currency every time we win, even if it's very little.

Saving up the 1000 to get the firefighter Mei skin but the grind is too much.

peakish

I think what makes the CP maps bad is that they in my experience end up in a 7 minute extended fight over the second area. They're just soooo repetitive. KOTH maps swing back and forth as you alternate offense and defense, and payload maps continually move the engagement area.

CP maps could either use a third point or something else to make them more dynamic.

Just had an amazing moment with Winston where I used the ult to knock two guys over, kill another one, and then I FLEW with shift move to a balcony in Ilios to chase a Pharah player that I smashed. So I get the play of the game and the clip STOPS before the epic, disgustingly aggressive dash that lead to me killing that annoying Pharah.

I am getting the hang of a lot of characters, and I finally managed to play Widowmaker in a match without having an incomplete team, which leads to me having to change hero to fill in the proper role.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Already joined in progress twice tonight on games where my team was down a Capture Point... stopped playing for a bit, hopped back on just now. Sure enough another join in progress, rolled Lucio since we had no support. It's Lijiang Tower: Garden, down a point. A Widowmaker Level 9 is on our team and one of the other teammates decides to go Widowmaker too. The level 9 dies, switches to Mercy, dies, quits and we lose. the fuck blizzie

My favorite players are the people (mostly winstons) that constantly run/jump away from the Lucio while at low health and then complain about how horrible the Lucio was after the game because they totally expected the Lucio to follow them into certain death.

if you want to die over and over then that's totally on you, bro

spiritfox

My favorite players are the people (mostly winstons) that constantly run/jump away from the Lucio while at low health and then complain about how horrible the Lucio was after the game because they totally expected the Lucio to follow them into certain death.

Or as Mercy

Especially as Mercy

Well as Winston, jumping after vulnerable, important targets is what you do, but only a stupid Winston would expect a Lucio to help him away from the team. Surviving requires knowing when to leap back and keeping track of health packs.

Or as Mercy

Especially as Mercy

I'll admit that I've played a lot more Mercy than I've played Lucio, so I'm more comfortable with what she can and can't survive. Overextending is going to get me to leave you to your fate.

Speaking of. I have to respect the Medic mains in TF2, it's waaaaaaaaay more stressful.

Well as Winston, jumping after vulnerable, important targets is what you do, but only a stupid Winston would expect a Lucio to help him away from the team. Surviving requires knowing when to leap back and keeping track of health packs.

Yeah, I get that. It's just that a Winston jumping into a group with ~quarter health is probably going to be getting himself killed before he actually accomplishes anything.

Looks like I've reached that point where playing this game solo is just not fun. I must have lost 5-6 games in a row and none of them were close. Teammates are terrible. It's hard for me to imagine that there are people that have reached level 40+ that don't understand the basics of how this game works.

Stop running solo into all 6 of the other team. You will not win. No one waits for backup so of course they die then the next fool does the same thing.

No one goes tank or healer though with this one I don't know that I can blame people. I tried to play Mercy and I was getting smoked left and right. No support, no one backing me up, but they were definitely calling for those heals. I can't heal you when I'm dead because the same damn Genji is killing me every time I spawn and I'm trying to fight him off by myself.

Not to mention a good bit of these people are some of the most toxic assholes I've ever had the displeasure of coming across.

Feels bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom