• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOoblet16

I'm sorry if I disrupted your group therapy sessions guys!

It's like you forgot there are 5 other players in the other team who will be shooting at Reinhardt's shield and it doesn't take long to get rid of it.

The only person that should go behind a Reinhardt's shield to fight a widow is your own team's widow...since the shield simply doesn't absorb enough HP to push until the end.

BobFossil

Neo Member
How to stop Reinhardt from doing shit to prevent widow from getting picks: Break his shield. Go inside of his shield and kill him. Knock him around. Use splash damage to ruin the team huddled in the 2x2 square he covers.

I'm assuming it's a lone Widow doing all this, cos that's all you've been moaning about.

I'd like to see you to stop a good Widowmaker with only a Reinhardt.

Did I say eliminate? Nope.

The only person that should go behind a Reinhardt's shield to fight a widow is your own team's widow...since the shield simply doesn't absorb enough HP to push until the end.

And do you know who our Widow could take out :O.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
joined a pug game, they had no healer and 2 widows on offense, I went Lucio, lost the game 10 seconds later

200.gif

Warewolf

I'd like to see you to stop a good Widowmaker with only a Reinhardt.

What classifies as a good Widowmaker? One who kills you before you know she's there? I can't think of an example where I've died to a Widowmaker I've spotted while playing Reinhardt.

But I might be missing some context.

It's like you forgot there are 5 other players in the other team who will be shooting at Reinhardt's shield and it doesn't take long to get rid of it.

And of course let's not forget that there's characters who just can bypass Reinhardt's shield. Symmetra can just shoot straight through his shield with her right click, Pharah and Junkrat can just throw explosives behind him, and there's plenty of characters who can circumvent him to kill him from behind (e.g. Genji or Reaper) or knock him around.

Reinhardt is great at chokepoints, but his shield doesn't go 360°, doesn't have infinite health and doesn't mean a Widowmaker can't take out other teammates of his.

Sora_N

At my level, Winston feels like the most effective counter to Widow but I'm sure better players will zip away before a Winston can finish the job due to the low damage output.

Eh I tried that, a good Widow just uses the SMG and end up killing me anyways. I'm not that great with movement so they probably target me easier.

All I can do is to force them away from sniping my team at least.

What classifies as a good Widowmaker? One who kills you before you know she's there? I can't think of an example where I've died to a Widowmaker I've spotted while playing Reinhardt.

But I might be missing some context.

We're not talking about the Reinhardt vs. Widowmaker matchup. The poster I quoted was saying that all it takes to shut down a good Widowmaker is a Reinhardt on the Payload, which is bullshit.

What classifies as a good Widowmaker? If she can quickly and reliably take out enemies (particularly characters who aren't tanks, which she excels at doing) and turrets to allow her team to defend or take the objective.

nOoblet16

At my level, Winston feels like the most effective counter to Widow but I'm sure better players will zip away before a Winston can finish the job due to the low damage output.

I can get her at times but most of the times she runs away since the gun does too low of a damage and she moves fast enough for me to not be able to chase to finish her off (since my jumppack is on a 6 second cooldown the moment I land next to her and she can grapple away). As Winston I will easily get her to low health before she eventually runs into her allies at which point it's over for me.

Mercy sticking around Widow is also quite common, in which case the Winston method doesn't even begin to work.

Ketch

A decent Widowmaker will not die to Genji and will bring him to the edge of death to be finished off by a teammate or kill him herself.

His deflect is basically useless and she has too much HP to care about his slice.

Genji basically needs to be on perfect point with his shurikens to try and beat her SMG /quickscoping

Basically, every time someone mentions Genji as a counter (or any counter to Widow really) this is my face

I play a lot of genji, and switch to him everytime there's a widow on the other team, and you're absolutely right. It's waaay to hard for Genji to kill a widow. Genji on attack in pubs against a good widow is basically a wash, because even if you manage to get in on her you have to actually get lucky (or just be WAY better then everyone else) to do more then trade 1 for 1 and then hopefully your pub team is smart enough to capitalize at the exact moment to secure the objective, which doesn't happen very often.. so you end up in a cycle where you can go kill the widow but die in the process and everything gets reset and you do it again.

Genji on defense against an offensive widow is actually a bit better because in the process of trading 1 for 1 with the widow you usually get 1 to 3 of her teammates looking at you for 30 seconds to a minute instead of attacking the point.

Normally, if you're not dominating on Genji, the best you can hope for to counter the widow is make her annoyed that she can't just free snipe the entire time, and good widows won't let that bother them.

I know a lot of people say HP isn't Widow's problem, but I feel like a lot of the problems with widow would be solved if she had 150 hp instead of 200. Winston and Genji would actually counter her instead of just annoying her.

BobFossil

Neo Member
We're not talking about the Reinhardt vs. Widowmaker matchup. The poster I quoted was saying that all it takes to shut down a good Widowmaker is a Reinhardt on the Payload, which is bullshit.

Never said that, quite the misreprestation. I was only making the point that the game is based on objectives, not eliminations (i.e. no TDM).

As such a character can only be OP, relative to those objectives. But its hard to get these nuances across to such literalists, yeesh.

Ketch

If you are dying as Winston to Widow, you are doing it wrong.

If the Winston doesn't die to the widow before he closes the distance, then he'll die to the 2 or 3 teammates she grapple hooks over to before he can kill her... and maybe he does get the widow, but he'll die in the process anyway. And if the Winston is on offense she'll be back in position before he is.

Never said that, quite the misreprestation. I was only making the point that the game is based on objectives, not eliminations (i.e. no TDM).

As such a character can only be OP, relative to those objectives. But its hard to get these nuances across to such literalists, yeesh.

Yes, the game is based around objectives, not eliminations, but you know what eliminations do? They heavily delay the enemy team, because they'll have to respawn and get back into position to defend or capture the objective.

Widowmaker is way too good at easily shutting down an entire team within mere moments. Reinhardt or not.

Klyka

Banned
A L L W I D O W S M U S T D I E

This reminds me, the other day i played against this widow (ps4) and so i picked pharah like i usually do and i honest to god could not kill her. shed get me every time. now ill have you know, i take a lot of pride in my widow hunting prowess, but that game was humbling

congratz, you met a normal Widowmaker.

Widowmaker eats Pharah for breakfast.

I just played a couple of matches as Widowmaker myself because I have to learn to be at least halfway competent with her someday and the Widowmaker on the other team was absolutely unbeatable.
Instant headshots on 2 pixels of my head looking out, would kill at least 3 of my team before moving position.
Absolutely, 100% unbeatable for people around my skill level.

The game literally revolving around whether or not one character is being played at the required level is really getting stale.

I also love getting shot by Widowmakers who aren't actually out of their cover on my screen yet because this game, thanks to the glorious tickrate, has insane peaker's advantage.
Yes for already being headshot and THEN she steps around the corner!

nOoblet16

What are you even talking about?
She kills people from enemy team who want to play their objective...area denial is a thing in this game and a way to play the objectives.

Klyka

Banned
Lol for all the Widow elimination hysteria, what about taking and pushing objectives.

One Reinhardt, shield up, I'll cap that point and win the game thank you.

There's no TDM for a reason, this is an objective based game..

You are implying anyone of your team gets to the objective with 5 other defenders running around and pressuring you and the Widowmaker literally taking out every single one of your teammates who shows even a pixel outside of your shield.

Widowmaker owns the objective because Widowmaker owns the entire lane leading to it.

Klyka

Banned
The saddest thing is that I need to learn Widowmaker so I can at least try and counterpick her.

She is SO BORING omg. I don't get how people can play sniper characters and invest hundreds, thousands of hours into them.

Nothing feels satisfying about getting kills with a sniper.

just nothing.

Reinhardt also doesn't do a good job of countering Widow at pro level because all the pro Widowmakers can pull off grapple shots with regularity.

The saddest thing is that I need to learn Widowmaker so I can at least try and counterpick her.

She is SO BORING omg. I don't get how people can play sniper characters and invest hundreds, thousands of hours into them.

Nothing feels satisfying about getting kills with a sniper.

just nothing.

agreed.. i don't like soldier 76 for similar reasons

winston destroys widows on console.. I've annoyed enough snipers to the point where they go winston lol

Matchmaking is interesting or it was weird luck but got into a group with someone yesterday and the game was completely different from what I'm used to. Both teams were absurdly bad. The guy I was grouped up with didn't seem to be the best either so I'm assuming I was being brought down closer to his level? Anyway, ended the game as MVP, 70% of time on fire, 14-6 as Mercy. Next game was the same basically the same and then he had to leave. Once I was solo queue again the games were much more competitive

Picked my usual Pharah in a pub game (Attack on King's Row), and then somebody else immediately does as well. For once I don't switch, and as I watch, everyone else in the group picks Pharah too, except for one hold-out with an inch of sanity who picked Mercy (and later switched to Lucio, and who was probably the only reason this whole insane scheme went as far as it did).

And we actually won. I couldn't believe it worked, even after the other team started switching to Soldier 76 and Bastion, we still pushed that payload all the way to the end.

Next match after that we switch to defense, same map, and everybody in the group except me picks Torbjorn (I stick with my usual defense Symmetra pick). And damned if we didn't win that one too. Helped that the opposing team just kept trying to duck into that doorway to your left as you pass the wall, and damned if I didn't just keep putting my turrets back there and catching them every damn time.

Utter silliness, but after a run of really bad pub matches (including one where I had the gold medals in kills and objective kills... at 2 and 1 respectively), it was just what I needed.

cupajoe

Neo Member
This might sound dumb, but is there a way to use a mouse coupled with non-WASD controls? My dumb fingers accidentally launch my Ult sometimes when they dance on the WASD keys like a DDR pad. I'm picturing a wiimote nunchuck: using the joystick for movement, having the nunchuck's C button assigned to E, and Z button be left shift. Any ideas? Is something like this even feasible?

Apathy

This might sound dumb, but is there a way to use a mouse coupled with non-WASD controls? My dumb fingers accidentally launch my Ult sometimes when they dance on the WASD keys like a DDR pad. I'm picturing a wiimote nunchuck: using the joystick for movement, having the nunchuck's C button assigned to E, and Z button be left shift. Any ideas? Is something like this even feasible?

so then map ult to something else so you dont fat finger it?

eek5

You can use the controller with mouse to aim at the same time. I tried it a bit with my Xbox Elite controller as that has enough inputs on the left side to maybe get away with it but the weight of the controller made it awkward so I gave up that idea pretty fast.

I've heard of people rebinding shift/E to Q E and then putting ult on something else though. Just rebind it to where you're comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom