• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragner

I was extremely lucky with boxes. I was going to buy the origins edition but didnt like any of the skins included. So instead I bought the standard version + 20 bucks on boxes...after that and 13 boxes of levels I got.

-Mercy Valkyrie.
-Double legendary drop of Hanzo Lone Wolf and Junkrat Hayseed.
-Tracer Ultraviolet
-Widowmaker Odette.
-Winston Explorer.

The snipers skins are useless since I suck at them

I haven't won solo in my last 15 games, and its actually becoming grating to me. I'm gonna stick with arcade for a while. I don't mind losing but throw me a bone from time to time, sheesh. I've had sure wins just vanish right in front of my eyes by one good push by the opposing team.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Welp, I got way more free time to play Overwatch than I would have ever expected.

I'm normally limited to about ~4 hours of gaming a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. But it just so happened that my responsibilities at work haven't been too terrible lately, my wife ended up getting very engrossed in a good book, weather has been perfect for running outside (saving me time to get to the gym), and everyone in my life had made plans this weekend except me and my best friend who's sick with an ear infection.

Unfortunately, starting this week I'm traveling four days for work, and my next three weekends are absolutely packed. So probably won't get nearly as much play time in for a long while. That said, I've had a lot of fun the last couple weeks.

Here's where I currently stand, and is the jumping off point for my "casual play" that I'll have to embrace moving forward:

CUxE2XM.png

uXRD253.png

Had an absolute blast today - perfect way to end it.

Managed to really sync well with some randoms, and so we eventually grouped up. The three of us absolutely "carried" our team to victory - not exaggerating - like 12 games in a row. We were just unstoppable. Yeah, yeah, it was probably luck and the system working in our favor. But holy shit was it the best streak I've had in a while. Anyway, had to quit and do errands and workout. But then tonight got in an hour and a half or so with my two friends, and we went about 50/50 - just lots of close games, so it was still fun.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Love the game, its a really fun pick up and play 2 rounds and stop sort of thing, game length is perfect for it. That being said I do wonder about its longevity, perhaps the ranked system will help but I am not entirely sure if the round length and small roster lends itself to incredibly different experiences over the long term, I could be wrong, I probably am. What worries me slightly is that alot of people I know played it, enjoyed it and are already done.

I think the reason I don't like control maps is because there are only 3 points. The payload + hybrid maps have at least 3 different sections. Usually 3 payload sections or a control section plus 2 payload sections.

Gator86

Just lost a KOTH game because the entire team ran off the point in overtime trying to get kills closer to the enemy spawn. Overwatch might have the dumbest playerbase of any game I've played the last few years.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'm sure it's been said before 100 times, but I don't give a shit -- the "Play Of The Game" algorithm is %100 broken. Like, beyond belief, it's so bad. If there's a Bastion or Torbjorn on either team, that player will %99 of the time get the POTG, even if extremely skilled play took place. It's dumb because it robs truly skilled displays of play their rightful place in the spotlight, and usually gives it to a fucking turret when the player controlling it is nowhere to be found.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I'm sure it's been said before 100 times, but I don't give a shit -- the "Play Of The Game" algorithm is %100 broken. Like, beyond belief, it's so bad. If there's a Bastion or Torbjorn on either team, that player will %99 of the time get the POTG, even if extremely skilled play took place. It's dumb because it robs truly skilled displays of play their rightful place in the spotlight, and usually gives it to a fucking turret when the player controlling it is nowhere to be found.

Dont forget Junkrat, 1 ult is all you need and its not especially hard to hit it on some maps.

While clutch revives are nice a lot of the time I prefer the consistent healing of Lucio. I just had a game on Volskaya attack and we cleared out the other team but we were slowly depleted as they spawned in over and over.

Got play of the game with Rein but it was possibly the lamest thing I'd done all game

Dont forget Junkrat, 1 ult is all you need and its not especially hard to hit it on some maps.

I constantly get PotG while defending on Gibraltar when payload is under the hanging ship after the 2nd checkpoint; I usually release RIP-Tire on them from above like a scumbag. PotG never shouts out the 1 or 2 people that makes it possible for me to keep doing it.

ChrisD

Straight to the point: What is Blizzard's refund policy? Is there a refund system? I seem to remember reading you can play a game for an hour and then refund it once or something? Let's say there is one. In this case, is the refund in cash (that is, what you pay in; PayPal in my case) or some form of Blizzard store credit? I finished Uncharted 4 and the plan was to buy Overwatch with the money from it, but I want to be absolutely sure I'm not going to dump $40 into a digital fire.

Asked a while back about our specs and was told I'd likely be running the game... Pretty poorly (if at all). Using some "will it run" website, it showed the game would definitely run at minimum but I'm not sure how I'd be able to handle that.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for another question unrelated to the game. ^^;

TheBear

Does anyone have trouble remembering which map is which? I'm about 10 hours in and still forget. It would help if they pointed out the rules of the map, i.e dorado is payload etc

Also what does the content rollout look like?

eek5

While clutch revives are nice a lot of the time I prefer the consistent healing of Lucio. I just had a game on Volskaya attack and we cleared out the other team but for depleted as they spawned in over and over.

Got play of the game with Rein but it was possibly the lamest thing I'd done ago game

I've been placing more mercy recently and her ult charges so fast that it's really close. I'd rather have lucio on KOTH maps because he is way better at doing dmg, staying alive, and can push people off the point or map but on other playmodes mercy is really good.

spiritfox

On the other hand I had a Lucio PotG where it was me pushing someone over a cliff. 1 person. And it wasn't a shutdown too.

Dragner

yesterday I saw a POTG of a hanzo shooting...1 person...and then dying. It seems the system is still broken, in that game I used a Soldier ult to do a 4 player kill and taking the point....not good enough it seems xD.

Finally caved and bought in. Had fun tonight, hadn't played the game since the open beta so it took me a while to get into the flow of things. Once things "clicked" I started playing alright again. Re-learned that I am decent to good with some heroes and complete garbage with others. Also got two legendary skins right off the bat and they're with two characters I rarely use (Zenyatta and Zarya). Such is life.

m4st4

And now I know why I'm so bad with Mei's ice bullets... can't shoot with L2 as good as R2, she's even holding the gun in her left hand. Looks like protagonist in Dishonored 2 is doing the same thing, left handed. Is it the brain thing or what? I just can't get used to it.

Dreavus

There's nothing more fun then getting with a buddy and playing as the Rein Climbers. He complements himself so well: 4000 shield, shielded fireballs every 3 seconds, 150 dps with the hammers, protected charges, 2 ults that build up super fast because you play aggressive, ults that will wipe out anyone in your site for free, and the ability to spawn camp.

I've had this happen a few times but without the coordination. Just two of us to break through a bastion defense (I think it was last point on route 66). We were just playing defensively though and layering shields. Being a little more aggro sounds awesome, lol.

Best Reinhardt skin.

Get rekt Bloodhardt nerds.

Stonehardt bros unite!

My time draws close. 860 credits at present.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've had a potg with Winston attacking Anubis where it was me chasing down and zapping their Hanzo, mercy and pharah, and then ended just as i was about to go monkey rage on their bastion.

Which was fair because all i did with that ult was get gunned to death by bastion :lol. Not even 1000hp can contain that dps. I like to think that I've weakened it enough for my team to finish it off and that it was why we won the game. Was pretty funny to see the clip end just as i was starting to rage at the sight of bastion.

eek5

Straight to the point: What is Blizzard's refund policy? Is there a refund system? I seem to remember reading you can play a game for an hour and then refund it once or something? Let's say there is one. In this case, is the refund in cash (that is, what you pay in; PayPal in my case) or some form of Blizzard store credit? I finished Uncharted 4 and the plan was to buy Overwatch with the money from it, but I want to be absolutely sure I'm not going to dump $40 into a digital fire.

Asked a while back about our specs and was told I'd likely be running the game... Pretty poorly (if at all). Using some "will it run" website, it showed the game would definitely run at minimum but I'm not sure how I'd be able to handle that.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for another question unrelated to the game. ^^;

From what I've seen the conditions are less than level 5 and less than 72 hrs since purchase.

yesterday I saw a POTG of a hanzo shooting...1 person...and then dying. It seems the system is still broken, in that game I used a Soldier ult to do a 4 player kill and taking the point....not good enough it seems xD.

Probably shut down an ult. Shutdowns and env kills are weighed pretty heavily in POTG algorithm.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
On the other hand I had a Lucio PotG where it was me pushing someone over a cliff. 1 person. And it wasn't a shutdown too.
Yep, I feel you. Got a team kill with Genji and lost POTG to a turret that got a double kill.

Thing is, aside from *my* complaints about being robbed, it's really bad for everyone -- it would be incredibly cool to see, literally, the "Play of the game" and see someone really shine in a tough moment. It's something we could all learn from and be in awe of. But Bastion sitting inside the gate at Hanamura and getting a double kill in Turret Mode -- well, let me tell you, that's not it.

Just remembered... I actually played with someone who was like level 230 already lol (200+ hours played, <50% winrate too)

I've had a potg with Winston attacking Anubis where it was me chasing down and zapping their Hanzo, mercy and pharah, and then ended just as i was about to go monkey rage on their bastion.

Which was fair because all i did with that ult was get gunned to death by bastion :lol. Not even 1000hp can contain that dps. I like to think that I've weakened it enough for my team to finish it off and that it was why we won the game. Was pretty funny to see the clip end just as i was starting to rage at the sight of bastion.

It's kinda weird that winston ult punch doesn't knock bastion out of turret but roadhog chain hook does.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just remembered... I actually played with someone who was like level 230 already lol (200+ hours played, <50% winrate too)

It's kinda weird that winston ult punch doesn't knock bastion out of turret but roadhog chain hook does.

Lucio's knockback also doesn't budge him which bugs me.

I don't think the algorithm really has any way to detect how much skill a given play took. It's pretty limited

spiritfox

Bastion is immune to knockbacks in turret form, but stunning him switches him to recon mode, which is not immune. You can also stun him out of tank mode, which is fun. But Graviton Surge does still pull him in but keeps him in turret form for some reason.

Bastion is immune to knockbacks in turret form, but stunning him switches him to recon mode, which is not immune. But why Graviton Surge does still pull him in but keeps him in turret form for some reason. You can also stun him out of tank mode, which is fun.

I thought that might be the reasoning, but I am pretty certain that flashbang stuns don't break his turret form either. And moving him doesn't break turret form since you can ice wall and it doesn't change it.

Dragner

The bastion-reinhart combo was frustrating to play against at low level. As mercy I tried to say my team to change to tracers and genjis but they ignored me :(.

TrojanAg

Blizzard seriously needs to fix the matchmaking. I don't appreciate being thrown into a game with literally 5 seconds to go in the game

m4st4

Picked up my first Bastion due to total panic during last 60 seconds on Gibraltar defense... POTG. I refuse to cheese my way to victory like that but he's not that bad, hm-hm.

Blizzard seriously needs to fix the matchmaking. I don't appreciate being thrown into a game with literally 5 seconds to go in the game

Agreed, way to many defeats because of that issue.

spiritfox

I thought that might be the reasoning, but I am pretty certain that flashbang stuns don't break his turret form either. And moving him doesn't break turret form since you can ice wall and it doesn't change it.

I could have sworn flashbang does, but I can't confirm. I guess Ice Wall doesn't count as knockback and it doesn't stun so it just stays as a turret. The game can be inconsistent with stuff like this.

m4st4

Guys. Lucio finally clicked for me. He's amazing.

Ilios... Lijang tower... Pure environmental magic! My second favorite hero.

Oh, and I got my first hate PM yesterday, after 31 eliminations with Symmetra: 'FuckingNoob champ' xD Dude even got a POTG with Soldier (the irony) so I don't understand the salt.

membran

Straight to the point: What is Blizzard's refund policy? Is there a refund system? I seem to remember reading you can play a game for an hour and then refund it once or something?

There is none. From Blizzard's Terms of Sale:

All Sales for Digital Content or Services are Final.
No refunds are permitted except with respect to any statutory warranties or guaranties that cannot be excluded or limited by law.

You are maybe confusing this with the general refund policy on Steam (and for selected titles, on Origin).

There's nothing more fun then getting with a buddy and playing as the Rein Climbers. He complements himself so well: 4000 shield, shielded fireballs every 3 seconds, 150 dps with the hammers, protected charges, 2 ults that build up super fast because you play aggressive, ults that will wipe out anyone in your site for free, and the ability to spawn camp.
I can see this being pretty potent with the right amount of coordination. Will definitely try this out in the future.

Maserati

Neo Member
amazing game with my friends

i like it :)

i hope they nerf the solider and basten i belive they op kinda

in generally this game depends in team work and put a plan

Sorral

Got the HippityHop skin for Lucio as well as another 50 currency. I already had over 1600 currency last night and bought the Bedouin skin for my Genji.

Kinda glad I didn't spend money on DLC now as at this rate, I'll have most legendary skins that I want. I guess it is time to post some of my stats:

z03tIPe.png

50.7% winrate in 537 matches with randoms and I can count how many times I played with my friends in a 5-6 group, so mostly been pairing with 1-2 people at most only.

13 hours on Genji and Zarya is going to overtake Roadhog next. I definitely would rather play Genji on KOTH maps though...he is so much fun and lately, I'm seeing Bastions on those maps a lot more often with no one really countering them. Somehow, I still feel burned out on Reinhardt from the beta since I played him so much in there.

AcAnchoa

Absolutely unplayable. Solo Mercy is some of the least enjoyable Overwatch I've ever suffered through.
It's not so bad, except for some matches where the team's stupidity is above average. What I'd like to have is the possibility of hurting my own teammates with the blaster so I can punish them for stealing the health packs when I most need them, I've lost the count of how many times I've died because of this.

I mostly play support, I enjoy it a lot and most people seem to avoid those characters so there is almost always some spot there. My only gripe is that I have some problems with Zenyatta since I'm very bad at aiming and it looks like a very offense oriented character.

Rocwell

Just had this sick game on offense on Hanamura playing Lucio. We pushed the defense all the way back to their spawn and I tagged their base lol. It might just be a tough map for the defense since offense won both times the two games we played just now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T5AuB02OlU

And it wasn't even close both teams basically got annihalated lol If you lose that first checkpoint on defense the attacking team gets closer and gets even more routes into your base. Maybe because people didn't have turrets up, Torbjorn is just invaluable on defense, the turrets being an early alert is really useful. He gets countered pretty easily though I think, I feel like a badass taking out Winstons going literally apeshit trying to chase me around in front of my turret while I spray him with hot lead and I make armor out of his corpse lol.

I love being so cheeky with the sprays and emotes in this game. One of my favorite things to do is finding ways to screw around while waiting for the match to start. Punching basketballs trying to score a hoop in the drop ship. The whole prep area is so fascinating like I never even noticed there were multiple exits from the air carrier bay.

I want to git gud with Hanzo because he's so cool as a character but I think Lucio better fits me because I can help the team by being slippery rather than a crack shot, which I'm not admittedly. It's really hard to get an understanding of how the teamwork is supposed to function without comms dealing with anonymous strangers, I just kinda try to stay alive and follow people around hoping to back each other up when we get into a pickle.

I've been having a lot of fun with Lucio Doing wallrides on Hanamura reminds me of playing Jet Set Radio on Dreamcast. That character is like a Parappa the Rapper homage in the form of a young, cyberpunk Professor K.

kubricks

For those who are good at Lucio, how do you utilize the wall run effectively?
I know Lucio have this ability but I am just never sure when to use it and what's its advantage against standard movement? Are there any useful tricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom