• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

I haven't played this since the beta, even though I bought the full game. I have only completed the tutorial and that's it.

I think I'm gonna take every hero through Practice, and then focus on 4 (one for each class) in online matches.

Does that sound like a plan?

ramyeon

You can stop that by countering it. It's not hard but you'll learn the more you play.
I mean I know you can counter it - doesn't stop it from being no fun to play against though. It is boring when every team of randoms has exactly the same "strategy".

I haven't played this since the beta, even though I bought the full game. I have only completed the tutorial and that's it.

I think I'm gonna take every hero through Practice, and then focus on 4 (one for each class) in online matches.

Does that sound like a plan?

Keep in mind each hero has their niche and one offensive hero might be a bad in the manner you intend to use them. Winston is a bad straight up tank for example. Junkrat and Bastion are both defensive heroes but are used nothing alike.

This isn't a fighting game, it's not that hard to play everyone. There are some high skill ceiing characters but mostly no.

All that being said, if you can play one of every role that puts you far ahead of most pub players.

ramyeon

Just played a KoTH round which devolved into turret fighting. As if it wasn't bad enough having it in capture maps. Game would not be worse off without turrets.

Osahi

Just grabbed this game on PS4 over the weekend, based on all the positive buzz. Haven't followed it at all pre-release, as I mistook it for a MOBA-shooter.

I still suck, as I have to learn the ropes of the heroes and the modes, but I'm having tremendous fun. It's hard to focus at work even, because I'm tempted to play (I work from a home office, so that doesn't help :D )

One question: do you unlock the comics and videos about the characters and lore ingame, or is it a sole internet affair?

TheYanger

Just grabbed this game on PS4 over the weekend, based on all the positive buzz. Haven't followed it at all pre-release, as I mistook it for a MOBA-shooter.

I still suck, as I have to learn the ropes of the heroes and the modes, but I'm having tremendous fun. It's hard to focus at work even, because I'm tempted to play (I work from a home office, so that doesn't help :D )

One question: do you unlock the comics and videos about the characters and lore ingame, or is it a sole internet affair?

It's all just on the internet.

kromeo

Most of my characters are hovering around 50% win rate except lucio on 65% and then d.va for some reason

pFX03gD.png

Not sure what's going on there, haven't used her a huge amount though..

PatjuhR

Most of my characters are hovering around 50% win rate except lucio on 65% and then d.va for some reason

pFX03gD.png

Not sure what's going on there, haven't used her a huge amount though..

Nice. I got the same with Bastion. Think it will change if you play more tho.

jotun?

On PC I frequently see Widows unzooming for an instant every time they fire. Is that the sign of an aimbot, or is there an actual reason for it?

Dr. Buni

On PC I frequently see Widows unzooming for an instant every time they fire. Is that the sign of an aimbot, or is there an actual reason for it?
I think that is called quick scoping or somefin like that. I don't think it is a sign of an aimbot.

Perhaps to maintain situational awareness? The ones that zero in on targets are the first to be ambushed by Reapers, Winstons, and stuff like that, at least from what I've seen.

I imagine it becomes a reflex like checking for spies was in TF2.

Note: I am the worst sniper in the world, so there's a small chance I'm wrong.

nOoblet16

People do it for two reasons:

1) Unzooming soon after allows for peripheral vision, faster movement (since you move faster when unzoomed which can be helpful in a fight against another widowmaker), and faster tracking. When I say faster tracking take this for instance, you take a shot then have to hit an enemy that is on the outer edge of your screen, now instead of tracking to the enemy in scope you zoom out and now you can track to that enemy faster since you don't have to move your cursor as much..once you have cursor near him you zoom in to fineaim and shoot again. This is the biggest advantage you get from doing this.

2) The more common reasoning is that they think the charge up time after scoping in is faster than letting it charge by just being in scope...which is all bullshit because they are also spending time zooming and unzooming.

Basically if you don't see a widowmaker tracking while outside of zoom and see them unzoom and zoom really really fast (fast enough to not be able to check their peripheral or do better tracking) then they are doing because they think it gives them faster charge up time.

UCBooties

In honor of the OT name, last night when I was opening my level 20 loot crate I said to my wife that it was going to be "grey, grey, blue, and grey" and that it would be "a spray, a voiceline, a blue skin, and another spray."

Which is exactly what I got! Disappointing pull but at least my wife thinks I'm psychic...

Dr. Buni

Just played a KoTH round which devolved into turret fighting. As if it wasn't bad enough having it in capture maps. Game would not be worse off without turrets.
I will take turrets (including bastions and sentries) over stupid snipers without thinking twice. Game would be a lot better without Widowmaker, aka "no fun allowed" the hero.

PatjuhR

Are there differences in the appearance of loot boxes before you open them? Because I can swear I can tell upfront if it's going to be a white, white, blue, white or a box with a legendary in it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Are there differences in the appearance of loot boxes before you open them? Because I can swear I can tell upfront if it's going to be a white, white, blue, white or a box with a legendary in it.

no

Funny enough, this is why I'm kinda scared and shy to play with people in GAF. I fear I won't reach their standard of good gaming and I'll probably quit and never play again. Wish I could get over this anxiety though. Seems fun to play with everyone here!

I have this exact fear about playing with gaffers in any multi game. It's different with friends because I know they won't mind if I'm not up to standards, but while gaffers aren't randomers I don't really know them and don't want to piss people off. Anxiety sucks.

DesuNe

So Mei's ulti doesn't have line of sight or verticality checks?

lol what load of bs
Found this out the hard way by thinking I had avoided one by ice walling upwards. Nope. Just a beautiful ice wall statue prime for the Widow to shoot my face off.

you can't lucio-blast d.va's ejected explodey-mech :(

Nope, haha. I learned this the only way you can learn this: D.Va Ult to the dome.

I had 3 different triple kills with D.Va's ult this weekend. One of them had 4 kills but one was a turret.

Still no D.Va ult trophy...

PatjuhR

I have this exact fear about playing with gaffers in any multi game. It's different with friends because I know they won't mind if I'm not up to standards, but while gaffers aren't randomers I don't really know them and don't want to piss people off. Anxiety sucks.

I haven't played with anybody from here, but what it seems like you can't really do that much wrong as long as you stay to your role and to the objective.

nOoblet16

Genji not being able to deflect Junkbag's mine is bullshit !
So I can deflect/block every projectile in this game except that...wut?

Yeah found that out the hard way on thursday.
Saw the warning, went to iceblock and my timer was still cooling down so I threw a wall and when I lived it shocked the hell out of me.
Iceblocking gets rid of sticky bomb too just in case
Thought people knew that. I if block in front of team but they just go running. I overall too when it's not in cool down.. But I'm on my winston kick so suicide save with protective shield also noob reaper stay inside the dome when they ult lol.

Also I wonder if I can ice block and fall in someone and will they die lol

I played with GAFfers all weekend. Nobody singles anyone out. Of course, we all want to win, myself included. But in our losses, I can't say that a single person was some sort of dead weight. Sometimes, you just get beat. Sometimes, you're just off.

And sometimes, you D.Va / Winston both capture points in like 2 minutes total.

We also had a few fuck-off games, like when we went all Meis because they went all Toblerones on Volskaya. Contesting points by trading off who is Ice Blocking is one this game's grossest experiences. We all had to take showers afterward.

The brawl is pure trash. May as well make a tdm playlist if they're going to add shit like this.

Nah, it's awesome. Finding the moment when an odd couple team grouping works makes it worth it.

Braag

Is it just me or is Rein's ult a little underwhelming? The cone shape makes it hard to hit multiple enemies at the same time unless if they are lined infront of you (which is rare) and it lasts like 2 seconds.
Zarya and Mei both have a superior ults for setting enemies up for the kill.
Rein's ult is good for interrupting certain enemy ults such as Bastion or Genji (if he's jumping around and happens to be in air, it wont affect him tho).

Tovarisc

of course it does. its precisely because of line of sight that its so easy to avoid

After experience I just had with Mei's ult I call bs on that claim. I knew where she put it and I heard it, but I didn't see it. I was even one full floor higher than deployed ult, so I was out of line of sight and vertically a lots above. Still got frozen by it.

Rad-

Genji not being able to deflect Junkbag's mine is bullshit !
So I can deflect/block every projectile in this game except that...wut?

He can (or at least could in the beta) but it's just hard to hit because no Junkrat throws his mine directly at the enemy.

He can't deflect the trap though IIRC.

Catdaddy

Heals 43% of team damage taken.

Gets no votes at the end.

But yeah good job McCree with those 9 fan the hammer kills.

#salt

Yeah, I always vote for healers.. I primarily play Lucio-Mercy/D.VA cause no one will play support and sometimes tank. So anyone that steps up gets my vote..unless it's a Mercy trying to be a Tracer (seen that once).

PatjuhR

I discovered Zenyatta this weekend. Great fun. Love him. Discord orb is great. People have to fall back or be killed. Great to disrupt enemy offense.

I also wanna take this oppurtunity to call out that one McCree, who was letting the enemy sneak behind and kill me all the time , that was shouting "I need healing" all the time.

Good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom