• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

This. McCree shouldn't be melting tanks, but as an all-purpose anti-flanker, he should be able to pretty much wreck any of the attack heroes unfortunate enough to end up in FB range.

So annoying to die to it tho. When you get FB'd you know there is absolutely nothing you can do to survive, all you can do is watch McCree to line up his RMB click and then blast you to hell. No matter how much HP you happen to have. Very unfun to be receiving end of that combo. Then there is just Cree's who don't FB at all, just fan => roll => fan you from quite far.

Sou Da

Her Ultimate needs changing in some way, maybe they should let you move while it's firing..

I don't like that people can plainly facetank it but Pharah is in a good place right now.

I think Zarya is an example of great balance as well. If you buff a single thing on her I'm positive she becomes OP.

So annoying to die to it tho. When you get FB'd you know there is absolutely nothing you can do to survive, all you can do is watch McCree to line up his RMB click and then blast you to hell. No matter how much HP you happen to have. Very unfun to be receiving end of that combo. Then there is just Cree's who don't FB at all, just fan => roll => fan you from quite far.

I still think hardstuns aren't that great of an idea in a fps.

abundant

Whichever one has more of your friends playing on it. Each console has a lively playerbase so it's not like one of them is DOA or anything.

Agreed. Overwatch is at its best when playing with a group. If you don't have a lot of friends who play Overwatch, then play with GAF. Right now there are 218 (PS4) and 38 (XB1) people on the Google Doc.

MajorMane

I've actually had Soldiers somehow place their health pack down as they were stunned and survive my FB into RMB. I mean, I'm a pretty bad McCree at times, but it's happened a couple times and I don't know if it's latency or intended or what.

Can't wait for that D.Va buff. I'm told I should be flanking and getting behind enemy lines, but even at close range, her DPS is too low. She's rarely able to take anyone 1v1

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
What do you think is Blizzard's long-term play with OW?

- Will it eventually go FTP? How soon?
- Will it evolve over time? Will people reminiscence about "Vanilla" OW?
- Think we'll see an OW2 in a few years? A decade?

And in the short term, do you really think it'll keep a healthy player base? I think the gameplay is there. And their eSports push will help a whole hell of a lot. I think it'll continue to sell well through the year, and have lots of players.

Two years from now, will OW have more online, active players than it does right now, today?

Just wondering other folks thoughts.

X-Frame

Had the most fun game as a Reinhart and got in a ton of one on one fights with the Reinhart on the other team. Teams would just leave us alone while we fought.

Finally got to find out what happens when two Reinharts charge into one another.

I love Reinhardt mirror matches ...

It is a big mind-game as both Reinhardt's want to charge the other but they also know they should shield their team, and they don't want to miss the charge. BUT, the first one to successfully land a charge most often wins the duel.

It's a lot of slowly moving from side to side, trying not to back up too close against a wall, weighing your Shield HP versus theirs, weighing the difference of your respective teammate's supporting and behind each Reinhardt, and of course anticipating if they're going to charge you or not.

Wife and I were queuing up last night.

Got put into a game on Rt. 66 as defense. Turns out 3 people on the defensive team had left. So and another Random joined the game.

When we joined the game, the payload was 5.33 meters away from game over. It even got to less than 1 meter away before we really got out into the fight.

Wife went Lucio, I went Bjorn, Random went Zarya.

We pushed that fucking payload all the way back to it's initial point.

I never actually died as Bjorn and has a 17 kill streak.

It felt really fucking good being thrown into a game that was basically a loss and somehow holding our own.

McCree's is worse

Being able to cancel it for half charge redeems it, imo. Means you can actually wait for the perfect opportunity. Pharah's roots her in place, removing one of her biggest assets, and doesn't do nearly enough burst damage to compensate.

I think Hanzo's is even worse.

Hanzo's at least gets people the fuck off the point, and can corrall their movement. Pharah's is just like a big honking "FREE KILL HERE" sign.

You're being facetious but her ult is easily the worst in the game, imo.

I don't know if I'd agree. Yeah she's a big, still target but you can easily teamkill when combining it with someone like Zarya or Reinhardt using their ult. A Zarya can also bubble her during the ult to give her some protection from hitscan.

I think all of the ults are really good. If I had to pick the worst one it may be Zenyatta's but even that's fine. The big problem is that someone like Pharah, Junkrat, or Lucio, or anyone else can just push him aside and make it worthless.

Catdaddy

It also makes me sad how good people are getting at avoiding her ult. (Plus, I'm really bad with it currently.)

Yeah, I usually set it off with the jets and let it slide into groups, seems to work better. Your strat is the same as I do, swoop in cause havoc, take out turrets. Also good at getting widows and hanzos off of ledges, they scramble like crazy when I plop down next to them, or better yet knock them off...

I am trash with Pharah's ult. I either get blown the fuck out of the sky the moment I start, accidentally fire at a wall and kill myself or fail to kill anyone with it.

as long as you aren't jumping in the air in sight then do ult. you gotta surprise them. that or do it behind rein while his shield is up
while game started i usually ult around the corner so it stops other team from coming as we capture a point.

Hex

Banned
In the euopean servers Ive only heard a russian guy speaking english doing this. Trying to make some defending tactics. He was pretty cool and we won.

Other than that, zero. People dont even try to talk in the chat after they die. I even wouldnt mind people crying, just say something if the whole team are saying to change your fucking widow on attack becuase you are staying on a door and not moving.

If I am lucky there will be one other person on mic.
Sadly a percentage of that is someone just making random noises and babbling.

Forkball

Pharah can be murdered by even Lucio when she's in the air. Literally everyone on the enemy team needs to be preoccupied in order for her ult to work well. Also I would like her rockets to do more damage to turrets at least. Even from far away she can still get killed by them easily.

Tovarisc

I've actually had Soldiers somehow place their health pack down as they were stunned and survive my FB into RMB. I mean, I'm a pretty bad McCree at times, but it's happened a couple times and I don't know if it's latency or intended or what.

Either lag working in their favor or just insanely lucky, e.g. were placing beacon 1 second before you popped FB so it went through at servers end. It's not intended and you have absolutely no time to react to FB when thrown from somewhat close. Very long throws you can dodge, but decent Cree's don't do long throws.

If you get FB'd it's guaranteed death 9 times out of 10.

arimanius

Had the most fun game as a Reinhart and got in a ton of one on one fights with the Reinhart on the other team. Teams would just leave us alone while we fought.

Finally got to find out what happens when two Reinharts charge into one another.

That actually happened to me yesterday as well. I figured since I charged first I would win. Nope lol

Zaventem

Being able to cancel it for half charge redeems it, imo. Means you can actually wait for the perfect opportunity. Pharah's roots her in place, removing one of her biggest assets, and doesn't do nearly enough burst damage to compensate.

Hanzo's at least gets people the fuck off the point, and can corrall their movement. Pharah's is just like a big honking "FREE KILL HERE" sign.

Yeah i love playing her but her damage on the ulti is so low. Average rocket speed and reload time ain't all that either.

Hex

Banned
Her Ultimate needs changing in some way, maybe they should let you move while it's firing..

It would not be so bad if the missle travel time was faster.
But yeah, you are hung up there for all the world to see whle your missles trickle down giving people plenty of time to run about and others to skull fuck your eye socket with their weapon of choice from across the zone.

Anyone have beginner tips for Genji?

Don't try to make perfect shots, make smart shots and keep moving.
He has a generous aim assist (imo).
Use his mobility to find good vantage points for shooting. Spam sonic arrow regularly.

Arrrammis

What do you think is Blizzard's long-term play with OW?

- Will it eventually go FTP? How soon?
- Will it evolve over time? Will people reminiscence about "Vanilla" OW?
- Think we'll see an OW2 in a few years? A decade?

And in the short term, do you really think it'll keep a healthy player base? I think the gameplay is there. And their eSports push will help a whole hell of a lot. I think it'll continue to sell well through the year, and have lots of players.

Two years from now, will OW have more online, active players than it does right now, today?

Just wondering other folks thoughts.

I doubt that Overwatch will ever go free (except for stuff like PS+), mainly because it's a Blizzard title.
It will definitely evolve over time, any online game where the developer works on balancing patches has a "Vanilla state", and as soon as a balancing patch comes around, people will start complaining about the balance changes and say that vanilla was better.
I doubt that we'll see Overwatch 2 in the next decade, Overwatch is a design that is really easy to update- bring in new characters, maps etc. and players are happy. The developers don't have to do any massive changes to the game, i.e. overall theme shifts or world changing. They can just put in a map and leave it, perhaps go back and move some geometry if they see it as a huge issue.
Two years from now, I think we'll see fewer people playing, but with more maps and characters, there should be a really interesting competitive scene.

i could sweat that like, matchmaking knows this

i got a team of solid Rando Calrissians that formed up proper behind my 'Hardt and we took KotH on Nepal easy.

we get broken up and it's a bunch of ding dongs who think they're playing TDM

Yeah, the matchmaking RNG clearly doesn't like it if you win too much - some sort of sadistic Shodan AI behind it.

Last night I played two games with a group on Numbani - we destroyed on both attack and defense, they didn't get the payload moving on their turn, and we moved the payload with little trouble on ours. It was a pretty clean sweep.

Then I end up on attack on Anubis with a bunch of randoms that refused to switch tactics and just got clobbered out of the gate. At the end I threw a Hail Mary and switched to Widowmaker to counter their setups - got 4 eliminations in less than a minute, but it was too late and the push didn't get us to the point in time. Still got a gold medal for eliminations as well as damage done, just from my solo Widowmaker push. Makes me wish I'd realized to switch sooner.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I hit something like 79% hook accuracy with Roadhog yesterday... 36 eliminations and I don't believe I died once.

In the right hands, that hero can absolute dominate the other team. I had a lot of help - a great Mercy bouncing over to me in a pinch, and we all hung out behind Rein's shield, sitting on the cart.

McCree's ultimate is stupid powerful. Even if you don't kill anybody with it, it drains 50% to clear the point.

Pharah's ultimate isn't that great. It's a shit ton of DPS, but she's also a giant target that says SHOOT ME. It works, but she mostly needs setup from a Mei or a Zarya to go super big with it. Her bigger problem is that she gets destroyed by snipers because her aerial movement is so damn slow unless she pops her concussion ability.

I love Reinhardt mirror matches ...

It is a big mind-game as both Reinhardt's want to charge the other but they also know they should shield their team, and they don't want to miss the charge. BUT, the first one to successfully land a charge most often wins the duel.

It's a lot of slowly moving from side to side, trying not to back up too close against a wall, weighing your Shield HP versus theirs, weighing the difference of your respective teammate's supporting and behind each Reinhardt, and of course anticipating if they're going to charge you or not.

The key in a Reinhardt mirror is to never start anything with a long animation. The first Reinhardt to blink is usually the one who loses. Just hold up the shield, let your teammates do the hard work, and be willing to retreat if your position gets compromised. Given how long it takes to walk back to the front lines, your priority as Reinhardt is to live.

I got into a Reinhardt mirror last night on Route 66 right at the start of the match. I put myself vulnerable to a cliff dash, and he took it - drove us both right off the cliff. The way I see it, I came out ahead in that trade because I was down for 10 seconds and he was down for 30-40 - we had the cart up at the checkpoint before I saw his shield again.

These legendary skins, that Pharah Thunderbird would have to be my favorite. OMG.

I've only got one legendary - and that's the one. I can't complain.

Bittercup

From Jeff Kaplan:
We haven't patched content or balance because we are trying to have a stable launch window, with as few variables as possible.

With that said, new content is coming at the end of June -- Competitive Play mode. We should also have a minor balance patch (hopefully) this week.

As those who were in the beta can attest to, we patched quite frequently and liberally during beta. Now that the game is live, we want to be careful to not overly disrupt the game balance too frequently.

In general, you can expect content patches, balance patches and minor bug fix patches to happen regularly now that we're clearing the launch window. But don't expect balance to change each week... we don't feel like that would be healthy for the game.
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745045439?page=2#post-23

So minor balance patch probably this week.
And below he says it's for McCree and Widowmaker.

Tovarisc

Being able to cancel it for half charge redeems it, imo. Means you can actually wait for the perfect opportunity.

One of those design decisions that makes me go; "Why this is a thing? Why e.g. S67 can't cancel his ulti and wait for perfect opportunity?" If enemy team reacts properly to hero X's ulti and counters it then it should be case of tough shit, better luck and timing next time.

snack

The key in a Reinhardt mirror is to never start anything with a long animation. The first Reinhardt to blink is usually the one who loses. Just hold up the shield, let your teammates do the hard work, and be willing to retreat if your position gets compromised. Given how long it takes to walk back to the front lines, your priority as Reinhardt is to live.

I got into a Reinhardt mirror last night on Route 66 right at the start of the match. I put myself vulnerable to a cliff dash, and he took it - drove us both right off the cliff. The way I see it, I came out ahead in that trade because I was down for 10 seconds and he was down for 30-40 - we had the cart up at the checkpoint before I saw his shield again.

I've only got one legendary - and that's the one. I can't complain.
Jelly! I just bought the game yesterday, level 11 now. No legendary skin yet.

MajorMane

Anyone have beginner tips for Genji?

Don't try to make perfect shots, make smart shots and keep moving.
He has a generous aim assist (imo).
Use his mobility to find good vantage points for shooting. Spam sonic arrow regularly.

Those are great tips, but...

hanzo-gameplay.jpg

Make her follow-up shots charge slower and she's good.

Her ultimate is fine, imo. Making it more obvious when she has it up is the only real change I can think of being warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom