• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExVicis

To be fair many of the maps rely heavily on just 1 or 2 choke points.
Not on King's Row in the area directly after you've captured the Payload. After that if one section is too rough, all you have to do is go around from behind in one of the other 3 alternate routes.

lol was this sarcasm?

I really want somehow to post and show multiple loot boxes that are sitting unopened. It would give the rest of us hope and free us from enslavement to cosmetic items.

I wish I liked this game as much as everyone else. I just can't seem to get into it. Can't shake the feeling that it's a less fun version of Garden Warfare.

What am I missing?

m4st4

I see so many people playing Symmetra on attack. Why.
why

You have no idea how OP she is on Nepal, all three points, if you manage to create that FOB soon (need a good team though).

Also, if you're playing her like most do (and should), which is DEFENSE, once you put all six turrets down you have to be ofensive for that teleporter asap, and you have to continue being ofensive - she melts through Tracers, Genjis, Hanzos and McCrees. Flanking is the best way. Of course, you need to take care of your team first and foremost (+25 shields, teleporter, turrets).

ExVicis

I wish I liked this game as much as everyone else. I just can't seem to get into it. Can't shake the feeling that it's a less fun version of Garden Warfare.

What am I missing?
Have you tried all the characters? If you have given every hero their fair shake and it's not clicking still or becoming fun yet, well the game might not be for you.

Ugh, Reaper.
He was my main for a bit, but he's honestly useless imo. He does nothing for his team, and he's helpless unless people are distracting away from him. Yes he's deadly at close range, but he's harmless at any other distance.

Ketch

I made some new cards and updated Reaper! Thanks for the suggestions everyone, i hope you enjoy

Widow maker should be 9 mana 1/4 battlecry: deal 9 damage to the enemy hero. Enrage: return widowmaker to your hand.

and Genji should be 7 mana 1/3 stealth destroy any creature damaged by genji. battlecry: force an enemy minion to deal it's attack damage to the minions next to it.

Have you tried all the characters? If you have given every hero their fair shake and it's not clicking still or becoming fun yet, well the game might not be for you.

Not yet, probably half of them. I think I've been on some pretty shitty teams (and I'm certainly not an expert) which hasn't helped the experience. I'm just getting a bit bored with being taken out by Hanzo from across the map, while I'm moving.

Jblanks

How hard is it to put one more player into a game after one match ends, instead it boots to the main menu and takes another 3 minutes to find a game.

desverger

I really wish they wouldn't allow new players to join a match when there's 1-2 minutes left before a loss.

Usually you're joining up to fill up someone who ragequit and just have to sit there waiting for the match to end. If you leave, you'll get tagged with a leave. You'll also get no exp, pretty much.

Just a waste of time really!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ugh, Reaper.
He was my main for a bit, but he's honestly useless imo. He does nothing for his team, and he's helpless unless people are distracting away from him. Yes he's deadly at close range, but he's harmless at any other distance.

You dont know how to play Reaper. Simple as that. Its like me saying Tracer is useless. Which I wouldnt do.

Majine

Banned
Ugh, Reaper.

Get up in their faces. Doom (2016) taught me that.

TheYanger

Ugh, Reaper.

I mean, Reaper is the ACTUAL risk reward tank killer. McCree killing tanks isn't any risk cause flashbang is op as fuck. Hence why he's being nerfed

Jblanks

Yup time to start losing 10 games in a row because my win% is near 60, that's why there's constantly been level 20-30s on my team lately.

Oh hey a level 6, 26, 38, and the other team has 4 guys in the 80s. Let's see how this goes..

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Reaper is growing on me more and more. Not just the gameplay but the character, he is so clearly a parody. The voice actor and moduling do a great job of making it just a little TOO edgy and over the top, and the crap he says ("Havent I...killed you already?") Just cracks me up. I see what you did Blizzard, you cant fool me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knD6CqI3t04

I really wish they wouldn't allow new players to join a match when there's 1-2 minutes left before a loss.

Usually you're joining up to fill up someone who ragequit and just have to sit there waiting for the match to end. If you leave, you'll get tagged with a leave. You'll also get no exp, pretty much.

Just a waste of time really!

Its can be quite annoying. Sometimes I stay and let it play out, sometimes I leave. Whether option, I am boned.

Yup time to start losing 10 games in a row because my win% is near 60, that's why there's constantly been level 20-30s on my team lately.

Oh hey a level 6, 26, 38, and the other team has 4 guys in the 80s. Let's see how this goes..
Dat 50% win rate maximum.

Ken

Ugh, Reaper.

are you like those pug reapers I get that hide behind reinhardt's shield and try to shoot at people 30 feet away

You dont know how to play Reaper. Simple as that. Its like me saying Tracer is useless. Which I wouldnt do.

Yeah I do, Cause I play symetra like him sometimes. sneak up behind the enemy, and murder them all before they catch on.

What I'm saying is he adds nothing to a team. He has no real co op scenarios. A mercy link? Second you ghost you leave her to die. Reinhart? His shield doesn't work with your range. He's not even that good at running down snipers and turrets.Best he can do is run distraction, and grabbing a big kill streak once in awhile.
If you're playing reaper, your team pretty much better be kickass already imo.

PatjuhR

Yeah I do, Cause I play symetra like him sometimes. sneak up behind the enemy, and murder them all before they catch on.

What I'm saying is he adds nothing to a team. He has no real co op scenarios. A mercy link? Second you ghost you leave her to die. Reinhart? His shield doesn't work with your range. He's not even that good at running down snipers and turrets.Best he can do is run distraction, and grabbing a big kill streak once in awhile.

Roadhog Reaper combo.

Reaper is the person other heroes combo into. Zarya ult to Death Blossom; Mei's ult to Death Blossom; Reinhardt's ult to Death Blossom. Or, y'know, just his regular attack works, too. His ult, pulled off properly when people aren't paying attention, is absolutely fatal to any non-tank character (generally five enemies) and a very quick way to give a team a decisive advantage. And thanks to his huge damage it charges very quick.

He really isn't a front-line warrior. His abilities are all about infiltration behind enemy lines, ambushes, and escape, with bumping into him is often fatal. Like, Reaper isn't locked in there with you... you're locked in with him.

Nyx

Attack on Hollywood, I pick Lucio.

Teammember #1 chooses Bastion.
#2 chooses Torbjorn
#3 chooses Reinhardt
#4 chooses Junkrat
#5 chooses Widowmaker

Game starts, Bastion and Reinhardt move to a balcony and set up shop there. (turret + shield), no intention of attacking the point at all.

Junkrat and Widowmaker are nowhere to be seen either.

I'm done playing during the day....

PatjuhR

Attack on Hollywood, I pick Lucio.

Teammember #1 chooses Bastion.
#2 chooses Torbjorn
#3 chooses Reinhardt
#4 chooses Junkrat
#5 chooses Widowmaker

Game starts, Bastion and Reinhardt move to a balcony and set up shop there. (turret + shield), no intention of attacking the point at all.

Junkrat and Widowmaker are nowhere to be seen either.

I'm done playing during the day....

Haha, so painfull.

In games like that, where there is REALLY no chance of us winning, I pick Widowmaker regardless of teams composition. I can get the most fun with her when there is no teamplay.

After 50 hours of playing the game outside of Beta I finally decided to try a few heroes I'd literally never touched. Turns out I really, really like Roadhog and am really, really good at him. It's just so satisfying to hook and destroy people, or hook people starting or in the middle of an ult.

Poetaster

Banned
Oh snap. I just noticed I'm number two on PlayStation for most environmental kills, six more and I'll have the top spot. I play too much Lucio.

Rocketz

I had a weird bug earlier that was kind of funny to expirence but playing with it sucked.

I opened the emblem selector at the same time of myself getting placed in a match which cause my screen to be dim the whole match since that's what it does to the main menu while that screen is up. It would have been fine but I got place in a match on Kings Row. The darkest map in the game. I could hardly see a damn thing.

To add on top of that I was on defense and the attacking team was all Pharrahs and one Lucio. We lost.

The primary tip in this game I should see on every loading screen should be "If you keep dying try something else" cause goddamn. For instance, if you keep going down the same path and keep getting murdered in the exact same place, maybe stop going down that specific path. If the same character keeps killing you, maybe pick a character tailored to get around that specific problem. I feel like people literally shut their brains off when it comes to getting around a chokepoint.

I actually wonder if givng a character a cool down after multiple deaths should be an option. Like if your character dies something like three times in quick succession, you cant use that character for a bit.

It'd be interesting. Forces you to switch up your game. It actually nerfs certain characters, Tolbjorn and Bastion suddenly disappear as a threat if you kill them fast enough. Makes death matter much more.

Course the downside is you might create a far more defensive game, plus I'm sure there are loopholes I'm not thinking of. Just spitballing here.

Nyx

Haha, so painfull.

In games like that, where there is REALLY no chance of us winning, I pick Widowmaker regardless of teams composition. I can get the most fun with her when there is no teamplay.

Should probably do that too next time, but now I just left the match and went to do something else.

BigDug13

Ok so what's Blizzard's reason for forcing everyone's winrate to 50% by making lopsided matches on purpose

Makes you "git gud" by playing against more seasoned opponents half the time, then making you feel good about yourself the other half.

TheYanger

Ok so what's Blizzard's reason for forcing everyone's winrate to 50% by making lopsided matches on purpose

It doesn't 'force' 50% winrate, that's the end goal of an appropriate MMR system, if you're winning a lot your MMR is rising and it's matching you against harder opponents.

Roadhog Reaper combo.

Why not double Roadhog? Same thing only better.

Reaper is the person other heroes combo into. Zarya ult to Death Blossom; Mei's ult to Death Blossom; Reinhardt's ult to Death Blossom. Or, y'know, just his regular attack works, too. His ult, pulled off properly when people aren't paying attention, is absolutely fatal to any non-tank character (generally five enemies) and a very quick way to give a team a decisive advantage. And thanks to his huge damage it charges very quick.

He really isn't a front-line warrior. His abilities are all about infiltration behind enemy lines, ambushes, and escape, with bumping into him is often fatal. Like, Reaper isn't locked in there with you... you're locked in with him.

I did liken him to the spy myself. The problem is his abilities aren't as well developed along those lines. His teleport is too slow and too telegraphed, and his ghost ability isn't fast or subtle enough for sneaking, instead mostly for laming it out in firefights.
As for the combos, almost any character can combo off of those alts. And several characters do it just as well or better.
He's such a lone wolf character in my mind. He's just does not seem like a sensible pick for most games.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
oh wow already OT 3. Have not played in over a week, since I had a few matches with really rude people. made me not want to go back

1upsuper

Would someone be kind enough to give me a brief primer on how to play Roadhog effectively? I love his design, his legendaries are awesome, he seems fun to play, and yet I suck at playing him right now. When I try to tank I get mowed down so fast. I'm still trying to get a feel for his grappling hook's length.

Makes you "git gud" by playing against more seasoned opponents half the time, then making you feel good about yourself the other half.

It doesn't 'force' 50% winrate, that's the end goal of an appropriate MMR system, if you're winning a lot your MMR is rising and it's matching you against harder opponents.

Neither one of these explains why it matches you with people 50+ levels lower than you. While level alone is not an indicator of raw skill, someone with a single digit level is less like to have general map/matchup/character knowledge.

Most of what you say is accurate, but it sounds like you're devaluing disruption a bit. Infiltration and disruption is important to clear a path so your team can advance.

As for pair-ups, Reaper seems to go well with meat-shield Roadhog, or a chaos causing Winston. Both of them can compensate for your vulnerability when you get in range, and wouldn't mind too much if you ghost out the door.

Would someone be kind enough to give me a brief primer on how to play Roadhog effectively? I love his design, his legendaries are awesome, he seems fun to play, and yet I suck at playing him right now. When I try to tank I get mowed down so fast. I'm still trying to get a feel for his grappling hook's length.
I don't have a lot of experience with him yet, but I've learned to avoid open areas. Take the long ways around, which are the paths speedy glass canons are going down. Try to get into the habit of using your melee attack too. Hook, melee, shoot seems to be a good enough combo to take out most of the fragile things. Also if you can flank a Bastion, your hook will pull him out of his siege mode, leaving him vulnerable.

Dirtbag

How long till the next bro shooter comes out? Loving the game, but there are so many people that just dont get objective based gameplay. Can't wait till the next big release happens and the sheeple move on.

kagamin

Got Reaper in the weekly brawl (a character I'm bad at) got a 17 killstreak and a typical Deathblossom POTG I've seen people do before.

I really like Zarya but the more I play her the more I feel she needs buffs. You have to have perfect aim to be effective with the laser and the worst part is that getting her power to higher levels rarely feels like I'm actually doing significantly more damage. I get it up to 99 sometimes and with how hard it is to get to that point and how fast it drops off I expect to really shred through enemies, but nope I still need sustained laser in the enemy for a good long while. She's not strong enough in HP to really "tank" that much damage to justify you having to be at point-blank range for as long as you have to in order to get a kill. The barrier lasts a fraction of a second which means even if you time it perfectly to absorb a lot of damage, when it expires you're still being shot at and are likely to die super soon. The alt-fire does slightly more damage but with the tint splash damage radius despite the projectile still being a low arc severely limits its usability not to mention you only get 4 alt fires before you have to reload.

Her Ult still lets the enemies fire back at you as you're trying to kill them, and since I said before it takes a shitton of time to kill an enemy you once again have to hold a laser right in front of their face while 3 or 4 enemies stuck in the black hole sare free to shoot you in the face. You have to rely on some other character to do the bulk of the damage.

Gah, she's such a frustrating character. I liked her before but as I get better with other characters I have less and less reason to go back to her. Playing her feels like you have to work twice has hard to get half the results some other character gets, like say, Mei. Just compare the two Ults. Both Ults are AoEs that incapacitate enemies, except Mei's is actually good in that all frozen enemies can't fight back, and once all caught enemies are frozen it's headshot city and you get at least a couple of guaranteed kills. Zara's Ult is basically the same function but worse.

m4st4

oh wow already OT 3. Have not played in over a week, since I had a few matches with really rude people. made me not want to go back

You playing on PC? On PS4 there's zero to no communication and no chat window so that's good I guess.

MBison

I lost to a team defending Dorado that had 3 mercys, 2 torbjorn and a Pharah.

3 mercys.

Help.

The gimmick teams seem to be the hardest to crack.

I lost to 3 mercys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom