• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

1upsuper

X6q9wge.jpg

So I've decided that I wanted to experience the joy of opening 50 chests without spending money (didn't help that I mostly got crappy loots from my first boxes).

I really hope that they will add a way to earn currency in the future. Like dailies or something. It really takes forever to get those boxes as of right now.

Your self restraint is inspiring, damn.

Obligatory top of page garbage post lamentation.

I had one of those zen gaming moments with him yesterday - on fire the whole time, felt like I was untouchable and died maybe two times. When those moments happen you just know. Still, Symmetra is on top for me, 73% right now, sometimes I manage to kill Roadhog or Reinheardt with her..
Teach me your Symmetra secrets. I never know where to build shit. Where when to rebuild? Same spots? New spots? What about payload maps??? Such an enigma.

X6q9wge.jpg

So I've decided that I wanted to experience the joy of opening 50 chests without spending money (didn't help that I mostly got crappy loots from my first boxes).

I really hope that they will add a way to earn currency in the future. Like dailies or something. It really takes forever to get those boxes as of right now.

I think ive saved 4 then needed to open them :p

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I just wish they made her gun more satisfying to use. Always feels unsatisfied to me, like I'm vaguely maybe damaging people with my stream of energy I guess. Even the hit marker kinda gets lost in the effect. I never really know how much damage I'm doing with her.

In general Overwatch has a bit of the problem in terms of conveying feedback to the player. Often I won't even know if I'm low health, I don't expect COD red jam all over my screen, but more of a clear indicator of low health would be appreciated.

Might just be coming off Destiny's clear indicators of damage numbers, and overall clearer UI. I'd actually be curious to see if Overwatch could pull of the Borderlands damage numbers. Make it easier to tell how much damage we're doing.

The primary fire could do with a more satisfying "sizzle" as you train on the enemy, but I do enjoy the wubbly sound effects of projectiles hitting your barriers, plus how that and the primary fire effect increase in pitch as you power up.

Personally, I wouldn't like to see numbers. I like to see HP bars melt, but I also don't like being distracted by something besides the action the whole time. As an option I'm sure it would go down well. The UI customisation is already really good, like showing allied HP the whole time with Zarya to know when you should shield them to gain that juice.

Majine

Banned
Matthew Mercer (voice actor for McCree) also said during a panel at A-kon that he’ll say “It’s High Noon” while playing overwatch, and people will think it’s a McCree using his ult, and freak out.

What a troll.

AcAnchoa

I finally got a play of the game, and I was playing Mercy. There were ten seconds left, I swept in the point, revived three of my fallen teammates lying there and captured it. Felt good. Then everyone went on their own business and we lost :( .

So.. what is the point on saving chests?
I still haven't opened a single chest and I have no intention to do it. Their content won't change the game and I've never cared about cosmetic things so why bother. I'm level 22 at the the moment, so I have 21 crates. Well, actually, I opened one box during beta because I had no idea what it was about and went totally "meh".

Wtf did the player base on PS4 just fucking die? I spent the last 15 minutes jumping into skirmishes and then into games that don't have enough players and repeat.

Same. Happened all night, the worst is that every friggen game all the people leave when they win, so you never get a turn doing the reverse, instead it splits everyone up and you end up in this infinite attacker side map cycle.

My friends I was playing with have already lost interest, there's no drive to level up since it's just a chance at more sprays, and no set path to obtaining things you really want, plus being steamrolled is never fun for anyone.

I am still at it, lvl 54 so far, but I'm stuck in this permanent rut of having to be a healer 9/10 times or the team just gets massacred.

I wish they would add a set amount of coins per match, maybe some extras for getting those golds (add more medals so tanking is worth a damn etc) so at very least you can be like ok if I play good for x matches I can buy that skin finally.

It's also weird how the portrait resets and adds the star, in diablo the paragon portraits were awesome since they grew and added rank. It's our only sense of progression and it's kinda non existing.

Feels weird, I get it that playing for fun should be the main drive but the matchmaking and multiple characters not to mention balance stuff really puts a damper on it.

Hopefully when competitive mode is added and some balancing kicks in things will improve.

I'm likely going to bounce back between games again since you can only git gud at playing mercy and Lucio for so long before it feels like a treadmill lol

Braag

I have been sitting at 925 coins for the past 10 levels and all I've gotten are useless crap for heroes I don't play that often. The joys of random loot boxes.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's like they wanted to make the worst looking character when they made Zarya.
WUx7yzAl.png

At least that Russian one looks decent.

ramyeon

I wish not every attack game was against 3 Torbjorns, a Bastion and a Zenyatta. It feels like it's been that way tonight. It has to be the most boring way to play this game.

Blues1990

It's like they wanted to make the worst looking character when they made Zarya.
WUx7yzAl.png

At least that Russian one looks decent.

As I've said before, Zarya had gotten the raw end of the deal with her Legendary skins. But her default appearance is a rock-solid design, man.

I really like Zarya but the more I play her the more I feel she needs buffs. You have to have perfect aim to be effective with the laser and the worst part is that getting her power to higher levels rarely feels like I'm actually doing significantly more damage. I get it up to 99 sometimes and with how hard it is to get to that point and how fast it drops off I expect to really shred through enemies, but nope I still need sustained laser in the enemy for a good long while. She's not strong enough in HP to really "tank" that much damage to justify you having to be at point-blank range for as long as you have to in order to get a kill. The barrier lasts a fraction of a second which means even if you time it perfectly to absorb a lot of damage, when it expires you're still being shot at and are likely to die super soon. The alt-fire does slightly more damage but with the tint splash damage radius despite the projectile still being a low arc severely limits its usability not to mention you only get 4 alt fires before you have to reload.

Her Ult still lets the enemies fire back at you as you're trying to kill them, and since I said before it takes a shitton of time to kill an enemy you once again have to hold a laser right in front of their face while 3 or 4 enemies stuck in the black hole sare free to shoot you in the face. You have to rely on some other character to do the bulk of the damage.

Gah, she's such a frustrating character. I liked her before but as I get better with other characters I have less and less reason to go back to her. Playing her feels like you have to work twice has hard to get half the results some other character gets, like say, Mei. Just compare the two Ults. Both Ults are AoEs that incapacitate enemies, except Mei's is actually good in that all frozen enemies can't fight back, and once all caught enemies are frozen it's headshot city and you get at least a couple of guaranteed kills. Zara's Ult is basically the same function but worse.

I can understand the frustration of picking up Zarya since she's definitely a character that requires a certain playstyle to work, but she's far from underpowered. Right now I would say she's probably the third strongest tank behind Reinhardt and Winston. A couple things to keep in mind...

First, your shield doesn't make you invincible. It only absorbs up to 200 damage, then it goes away regardless of how long it was. The trick is to put yourself enough in danger that you take a bunch of damage, but not enough that you get killed. Thanks to her 200 hp shields you have a bit of a cushion in terms of going over without really being too penalized but overall you need to have a good idea how much you can take without dying. In all honesty you should get in a habit of using your self-shield almost off CD unless you have a reason to keep it available.

Second, Symmetras, Junkrats, and Reinhardts are your best friend. They generally spam chokepoints with highly damaging slow moving projectiles that you can intentionally get hit by for an easy 50% charge.

Third, you should really try to get another tank on your team. All the other tanks generally make great damage sponges and will appreciate the effective 400 bonus health you provide while you'll enjoy the easy 50% charge. Their naturally large hitboxes makes them easy targets and therefore reliable sources of charge.

Fourth, watch out for ulting teammates or enemies. Zarya's barrier can make a good missile barrage into an insane one, and can help shut down Soldier or Reinhardt ults. Her barrier just naturally counters people getting bursted down, which makes it great to pair with or use against ults.

And a last tip is to make sure you have around 50% charge if you're going for an ult that you expect to deal most the damage on and to have self barrier up. Generally you should always try to have your barrer up when ulting as it helps you make sure they don't kill you first. Plus their fire will give you an easy 50% charge.

Overall Zarya's not an easy character. She really requires a specific playstyle that is unique to her in order to really maximize your dps and potential. Best of luck to you

mxgt

Banned
I wish not every attack game was against 3 Torbjorns, a Bastion and a Zenyatta. It feels like it's been that way tonight. It has to be the most boring way to play this game.

I don't understand how anyone can actually play Bastion and have fun. Easily the most boring hero.

PatjuhR

It's just a matter of time before Zarya will be suspended from Overwatch games for 2 years, because she used Meldonium.

Mutombo

Teach me your Symmetra secrets. I never know where to build shit. Where when to rebuild? Same spots? New spots? What about payload maps??? Such an enigma.

I'm rank #561 as symmetra, with a 76% win rate I consider myself quite adept and I am also starting to become one of those assholes who gets annoyed by bad symmetry players.

You can be aggressive, without being on the front lines. Don't place turrets in small hallways! Place them everywhere! Place them above the enemies line of sight. They run and gun and look for players, so put those turrets at their backs. One turret is an annoyance. Three is really shit. Six will kill everything. And when they move into your death trap, you don't want them to kill your turrets, you want them to kill you. So jump in front of them, annoy them, and shoot them with your gun. It's quite strong.

People don't seem to know that a Winston is a hard counter to symmetra's turrets yet, so make those kills while you can!

And if there's no time to put up more than three turrets because they keep killing them, just switch to another character. But don't wait for the enemy to come to your turrets. Make those turrets come to them.

I like the game so far but I gotta say lack of actual playlists kinda sucks. I also wish we had more game modes in general, where is a basic DM mode or Capture The Flag or something? Seems like a big oversight.

JCH!

As I've said before, Zarya had gotten the raw end of the deal with her Legendary skins. But her default appearance is a rock-solid design, man.

Yeah, tell me about it.

I'm using the Dawn skin because all the legendaries (especially the goth ones, which rival Young Genji for the title of ugliest skins in the game) are incredibly disappointing...

I'm rank #561 as symmetra, with a 76% win rate I consider myself quite adept and I am also starting to become one of those assholes who gets annoyed by bad symmetry players.

You can be aggressive, without being on the front lines. Don't place turrets in small hallways! Place them everywhere! Place them above the enemies line of sight. They run and gun and look for players, so put those turrets at their backs. One turret is an annoyance. Three is really shit. Six will kill everything. And when they move into your death trap, you don't want them to kill your turrets, you want them to kill you. So jump in front of them, annoy them, and shoot them with your gun. It's quite strong.

People don't seem to know that a Winston is a hard counter to symmetra's turrets yet, so make those kills while you can!

And if there's no time to put up more than three turrets because they keep killing them, just switch to another character. But don't wait for the enemy to come to your turrets. Make those turrets come to them.

As somebody who picks Symmetra a lit (only ranked in the 2,000s, though, but still my highest ranked character), a tip I recently saw and am having good luck with: know like the back of your hand where the health packs on the level are, and which way the enemy is likely to approach them from. That's where you want to put the bulk of your turrets, at least when you first start. Most times enemies will be desperately running to these rooms for a lifesaving boost, only to face lasery death instead. How many times this trick will work depends on how good the communication on the opposing team is, but as an opening gambit it works wonders.

Other than that, I second the other advice. When isolated and being chased by a single enemy, don't run away. Charge! Your gun does super damage after a few seconds and doesn't have to be aimed, so get good at strafing and jumping over enemies' heads. And when all else fails and the enemy is just too damn good at dealing with your turrets, know when to fold em and switch to another character. Especially on some maps, where the spawn point is so close to the last objective that your teleporter serves little purpose.

Blues1990

You take that back, you sonnanabish!

Sorry, but I don't like Goth Zarya's design. Her default appearance is great, but I wish the colour of her hair would vary from the colour alts.

Yeah, tell me about it.

I'm using the Dawn skin because all the legendaries (especially the goth ones, which rival Young Genji for the title of ugliest skins in the game) are incredibly disappointing...

Funny enough, I bounce back between the Classic and Dawn skins when playing as Zarya.

I do like the novelty of seeing what Genji and Hanzo looked like when they were younger, but I do wish those Legendary skins were released later down the line and Genji could've got something different. The Nomad skin does makes up for this, as it's easily the better looking Legendary skins available.

PatjuhR

I am doing that yeah, still 2 mins or so to find games atm. Estimated time says 20 seconds but nope...

It's weird. I always have this happening after we are kicked out of a game because of not enough players.

When I just started the game it's usually an instant game find, but when I'm kicked it takes so much longer.

hesido

Is it just me:
90% of the time, the suggestions boil down to "No Tank Heroes" and "No support heroes", BOTH.

And I usually end up having to select a support character to fill in the gap, and in the unlikely event that someone hears the call and turns support, I select D.Va to fill in the Tank role.

Almost every god damn time.

Edit: Last night, I said fuck it, I'm going whatever I like, and I lost 5 matches in a row with different teams, and you guessed right, there were no tank and no support heroes or at least either one of them was missing, because I chose to not fill in that role.

eloxx

Is it just me:
90% of the time, the suggestions boil down to "No Tank Heroes" and "No support heroes", BOTH.

And I usually end up having to select a support character to fill in the gap, and in the unlikely event that someone hears the call and turns support, I select D.Va to fill in the Tank role.

Almost every god damn time.

Edit: Last night, I said fuck it, I'm going whatever I like, and I lost 5 matches in a row with different teams, and you guessed right, there were no tank and no support heroes or at least either one of them was missing, because I chose to not fill in that role.

I find that is the case as well. Everybody just picks the offensive/defensive heroes. I just always wait and pick what is left because otherwise there is not much of a chance. The exception is probably a team on the defensive side. 2 Torbjörns work wonders some times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom