• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really want to be able to play as Winston but I don't know how. Everytime I jumped into Widow he only does peanut damage before either Widow ran away or killed him. Jumping to distrupt an enemy formation resulted in him getting ganged with nobody helping. Even I can't properly use his Ultimate :<
Use Winston to bully low-HP snipers, Tracer, and supports, avoiding high-damage offense characters whenever possible (only engaging them with allies). Always use his leap whenever possible, because it gives a huge mobility advantage over most other heroes--and don't be afraid to leap away from the battle, either.

He isn't meant for front-line combat, but... uh... guerilla tactics, jumping in and out and disrupting the enemy forces. His ult is more helpful for disruption and healing than it is for actual kills. His weapon is a huge help in this regard, as it hits multiple enemies and is wildly accurate, meaning no matter how evasive someone is they're unlikely to avoid being damaged.

The key thing with Winston is to avoid getting ganged up on, as you say. No hero is immune to it, but Winston especially can suffer from it due to how he jumps into battle--try to pick your targets so that you have a clear path of jump-engage-kill-jump away, because otherwise it will be a short, fruitless journey.

Veggy

He isn't meant for front-line combat, but... uh... guerilla tactics

Overwatch-Winston-Smiling.jpg

oh god. OT makes your heart race and makes you clench because you don't want to lose or have them reach the next check point. hard to take out mercy when there's like 3 or 4 people around her but flying on top of people with winston is fun.

Drewfonse

Finally played a whole game as Reinhardt, ended up blocking 16,500 damage and we won. He is fun, and I feel comfortable picking him if we don't have a tank. I ain't killing many people at all, but I know that's not his role.

And yeah, sign me up for the Winston fan club. Fun as hell if you know what you're doing, and slowly I am.

Rize_21

I don't understand the widowmaker hate. Do people not know that Winston exists? His dome shield nullifies her.
Next to no recoil on her shots, full charged shots in less than 2 secs between each, a more than generous magazine, can switch to a goddamn assault rifle and has 200 hp, where are you going with Winston once you put your shield and she escapes? simple, nowhere because you'll be on cd, her teammates won't protect nor care for their healer but they'll make sure to burst your bubble asap, you'll be scoped and turned into a funny ragdoll while doing your next jump.
It's better to switch to Widow to counter another one, because most are accustomed to camp forever behind the lines.
...aaah I wish Blizzard release a new short with Winston and Tracer goin on the moon against Widow and that she'll be finished like that Alien in the movie.
The hate is real :mad:.

darklin0

Banned
To everyone saying Widow's team has this godly teleport that gets her team to her under 4 seconds. Unless Widow is standing right next to her team, she almost never is, no one will be there to stop you. This is: How to WINston your way against a Widow

Landing on Widow does 50 damage, if you hit melee as this happens you get another 30 damage. Widow is now at 120hp, you star using your primary. This does 20 rounds a second, each round doing 3 damage, and now you have a dead Widow in 2 seconds. If you are dying to Widow, I want to know how you are accomplishing missing Winston's auto aim primary. Its a feat that is mighty impressive.

Lets factor in Winston's health and shield now. Winston has 400 health, 100 armor, and a 600 hp shield. this gives him effectively 1100hp. Widowmaker at full charge does 150 damage, 300 on headshots. She has to headshot you twice for you to go down, six shots and a pepper with her primary or poison for you to go down if you use your shield to block. So unless you are running straight at her in the open and then stopping and sitting there watching her as she shoots your shield then please explain to me why are you playing Soldier 76 when you chose Winston?

"But darklin, how do I get to her? D': " Well let me tell you about this amazing thing called the Jump Pack and almost as equally important, alternate paths!!!!!! Winston has this ability where he can jump in an arc at a fairly quick speed. Combo this with his shield and you will pretty much barrel through any choke point. When you do this their team will either ignore you or go after you, both being good. If they ignore you, you can get some hp if needed, wait for your shield to be available, and then walk to a spot where you can just jump up to a Widow unnoticed. If the opposing team feels like they need to chase you then you effectively gave your team a huge open window to come in and hit them hard for that mistake. Like I said, both situations are good. Now, if the Widow is that amazing to where she alone can hold off their team supplement a Rein to help push forward. The Widow will die or run, either way you nullified the Widow. Hooray!

So what about alternate paths you say? Well let me tell you. See every map has a path that does not go down straight into your enemies bullets. Some maps do have these really dumb choke points but they always have at least one alternate path to go through. Unless their team is dedicating a bunch of people to those spots Winston can get through. Even with Widowmaker's Infra-Sight, if they see you take the path and follow well I already explained it before.

So from playing with Pugs to playing with a team, Widow is a chump. If you are in group and your team is not capitalizing on Winston diving the back, get a better group. Or learn to coordinate.

I need to head somewhere so I can't finish up. Apologies for errors I did not catch on my quick skim trough. Maybe part 2 later with more detailed situations.

TL;DR
Use Jump Pack and alternate paths to get to Widow. You are not Soldier 76 god dammit.

I'm working on a fan character (that old lady I was talking about earlier), and I might be able to get art for her hopefully. Not sure if I'd be comfortable posting her on the OW reddit without pictures, but would you guys be interested?

cHinzo

Holyshit I just found out that Junkrat is amazing on attacking the B point of Volskaya Industries. If you manage to get into the upper left building, you got such a good angle to spam the site and take out the turrets from above. :eek:

I really want to be able to play as Winston but I don't know how. Everytime I jumped into Widow he only does peanut damage before either Widow ran away or killed him. Jumping to distrupt an enemy formation resulted in him getting ganged with nobody helping. Even I can't properly use his Ultimate :<
His landing does 50 damage. His tesla cannon does around that much per second. Widow only has 200 health and you can clip half of that off almost immediately on landing. A well aimed jump and the element of surprise will net you a huge advantage against a scoped Widowmaker specifically, and other squishies in general. If she tries to fight after Winston has primed the engagement in his favor she'll probably die, but even if she runs away consider that a victory. It isn't always about killing their sniper but simply distracting them and making them as afraid to poke their heads out. Think of Winston less like a tank and more like a beefy version of Tracer. Harass, harass, harass.

Do not try to fight turret Bastion as Winston!! I repeat, do not try to 1v1 Bastion. Doesn't matter if you've ulted. Don't do it. Do not try to go toe-to-toe with other Tanks either, especially Roadhog! You can kite Reinhardt but it's risky. Know where the health packs are, too! This is important for everyone but especially vital for mobile characters like Winston and Tracer. Once you get their locations memorized you'll find your lifespan with Winston going up. Get use to disengaging and usually in the direction of a health pack. Blizzard specifically gave D.Va and Winston low damage on account of their mobility. Use it liberally. Mercy is the only target I'll YOLO for.

Having a team that can actually take advantage of the chaos he causes is really important. Like with any hero, though, you'll just have to play Winston a lot to get a feel for his strengths and weaknesses!

Edit:

To everyone saying Widow's team has this godly teleport that gets her team to her under 4 seconds. Unless Widow is standing right next to her team, she almost never is, no one will be there to stop you. This is: How to WINston your way against a Widow

Landing on Widow does 50 damage, if you hit melee as this happens you get another 30 damage. Widow is now at 120hp, you star using your primary. This does 20 rounds a second, each round doing 3 damage, and now you have a dead Widow in 2 seconds. If you are dying to Widow, I want to know how you are accomplishing missing Winston's auto aim primary. Its a feat that is mighty impressive.

Lets factor in Winston's health and shield now. Winston has 400 health, 100 armor, and a 600 hp shield. this gives him effectively 1100hp. Widowmaker at full charge does 150 damage, 300 on headshots. She has to headshot you twice for you to go down, six shots and a pepper with her primary or poison for you to go down if you use your shield to block. So unless you are running straight at her in the open and then stopping and sitting there watching her as she shoots your shield then please explain to me why are you playing Soldier 76 when you chose Winston?

"But darklin, how do I get to her? D': " Well let me tell you about this amazing thing called the Jump Pack and almost as equally important, alternate paths!!!!!! Winston has this ability where he can jump in an arc at a fairly quick speed. Combo this with his shield and you will pretty much barrel through any choke point. When you do this their team will either ignore you or go after you, both being good. If they ignore you, you can get some hp if needed, wait for your shield to be available, and then walk to a spot where you can just jump up to a Widow unnoticed. If the opposing team feels like they need to chase you then you effectively gave your team a huge open window to come in and hit them hard for that mistake. Like I said, both situations are good. Now, if the Widow is that amazing to where she alone can hold off their team supplement a Rein to help push forward. The Widow will die or run, either way you nullified the Widow. Hooray!

So what about alternate paths you say? Well let me tell you. See every map has a path that does not go down straight into your enemies bullets. Some maps do have these really dumb choke points but they always have at least one alternate path to go through. Unless their team is dedicating a bunch of people to those spots Winston can get through. Even with Widowmaker's Infra-Sight, if they see you take the path and follow well I already explained it before.

So from playing with Pugs to playing with a team, Widow is a chump. If you are in group and your team is not capitalizing on Winston diving the back, get a better group. Or learn to coordinate.

I need to head somewhere so I can't finish up. Apologies for errors I did not catch on my quick skim trough. Maybe part 2 later with more detailed situations.

TL;DR
Use Jump Pack and alternate paths to get to Widow. You are not Soldier 76 god dammit.

All of this. All of it.

Edit #2:

Use Winston to bully low-HP snipers, Tracer, and supports, avoiding high-damage offense characters whenever possible (only engaging them with allies). Always use his leap whenever possible, because it gives a huge mobility advantage over most other heroes--and don't be afraid to leap away from the battle, either.

He isn't meant for front-line combat, but... uh... guerilla tactics, jumping in and out and disrupting the enemy forces. His ult is more helpful for disruption and healing than it is for actual kills. His weapon is a huge help in this regard, as it hits multiple enemies and is wildly accurate, meaning no matter how evasive someone is they're unlikely to avoid being damaged.

The key thing with Winston is to avoid getting ganged up on, as you say. No hero is immune to it, but Winston especially can suffer from it due to how he jumps into battle--try to pick your targets so that you have a clear path of jump-engage-kill-jump away, because otherwise it will be a short, fruitless journey.

Damn. All of this, too. Freakin' Winston Academy ITT.

Rize_21

Remember when you were happy learning that Mc Cree is getting a nerf? yes? well you can forget about this short moment of joy, because here's what's coming soon.

ElyrionX

A Widowmaker with a good team in front of her pumps out so much damage. Her magazine size is probably too big. I was playing Volskaya defense yesterday and the attacking team steamrolled through A and the first checkpoint of B. They were 5m away from victory with 6 mins to spare.

I set up shop with Widow at the right ledge of the final zone and there was absolutely nothing they could do. Their Pharah, who was dominating up to that point, died so quickly so many times, she switched to Zarya. Their Genji took the alternate route to try to reach me but my team was like 10 feet away so I would just grapple to them and they would murder him. They had three tanks and a Lucio at the end but could not get past my team while I was just sniping non-stop. They lost with the payload just a few metres away from the finishing line.

Edit: Sorry, it isn't Volskaya I was talking about. It's Kings Row. It's harder to pull this off in Volskaya.

cHinzo

A Widowmaker with a good team in front of her pumps out so much damage. Her magazine size is probably too big. I was playing Volskaya defense yesterday and the attacking team steamrolled through A and the first checkpoint of B. They were 5m away from victory with 6 mins to spare.

I set up shop with Widow at the right ledge of the final zone and there was absolutely nothing they could do. Their Pharah, who was dominating up to that point, died so quickly so many times, she switched to Zarya. Their Genji took the alternate route to try to reach me but my team was like 10 feet away so I would just grapple to them and they would murder him. They had three tanks and a Lucio at the end but could not get past my team while I was just sniping non-stop. They lost with the payload just a few metres away from the finishing line.
Yeah I don't think u played on Volskaya if there was a payload to defend lol.

egruntz

shelaughz
I'm working on a fan character (that old lady I was talking about earlier), and I might be able to get art for her hopefully. Not sure if I'd be comfortable posting her on the OW reddit without pictures, but would you guys be interested?

Yeah dude I love that shit.

ElyrionX

Yeah I don't think u played on Volskaya if there was a payload to defend lol.

Yeah. Just realized my mistake. Edited my post. I meant King's Row.

Probably mean Gibraltar.

I meant King's Row but I have pulled this off a lot in Gibraltar as well.

Both maps lend themselves really well to defending the end point with Widow since you can't backstab her and flanking her takes a lot of coordination on the attacker's part. The best counter is really another Widow.

when you join a KOTH game half way done and and losing with 0% to 60%. and you help them take control and win. and then win second round too. had to wash that zarya taste out of me. #Disgust
Ilios is love with Lucio

Skittles

zen master needs his shield health bumped up by another 25 (175 total) and his movement speed increased (maybe slightly less than tracer). only support with no escape option or a way to slow people down

zen master needs his shield health bumped up by another 25 (175 total) and his movement speed increased (maybe slightly less than tracer). only support with no escape option or a way to slow people down

So beef up his weaknesses while leaving his strengths in tact? Makes no sense. Zenyatta is actually quite strong enough to justify his lower survivability.

maomaoIYP

Was in a game of defense on dorado. The premade 6 man team on the other side thought it was a good idea to run with 6 Reinhardts. I was Pharah. I stood on top of the first 2 buildings and rained rockets down. They couldn't even make it halfway to the first check point before swapping to 2 Winstons and 4 Lucios. We still won, I had a 23 killstreak with no deaths. When it was their turn to defend they ran with 6 bastions, 2 on each door. I counter picked as genji. They didn't win either.

God, I love Reinhardt. I feel like a field general directing the troops. He takes this fast-paced game and slows it to a crawl and I love every second of it.

Zenyatta's biggest weakness is that he's categorized as a Support hero when he should be in the Offense category.

He's a terrible offense hero, though. Zenyatta is at his best as an artillery unit, floating far behind his allies reaping chaos and destruction. And this is really the only way to use him, when he can die from a sneeze. He's offense-minded, but definitely a support.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
God, I love Reinhardt. I feel like a field general directing the troops. He takes this fast-paced game and slows it to a crawl and I love every second of it.

That nobody wants to stand behind of for whatever.

Like, the best games I've had with him i had to specifically tell people to get behind me. Should be pretty obvious shouldn't it?

He's a terrible offense hero, though. Zenyatta is at his best as an artillery unit, floating far behind his allies reaping chaos and destruction. And this is really the only way to use him, when he can die from a sneeze. He's offense-minded, but definitely a support.

Then class him as a Defense hero like the snipers who do basically the same thing. Support is just misleading. Why is he in there? Just cause he heals a bit with his harmony orb and has an ult that can heal too? Soldier 76 should be support then, too.

Like, the best games I've had with him i had to specifically tell people to get behind me. Should be pretty obvious shouldn't it?

Earlier tonight Winston kept running past me and right onto the point into a 1v6. I had to stop and spell it out to him - just fucking wait for the rest of us!!

legbone

yep. in pugs it seems like i'm the only one ever behind the rein. all the rest are running ahead to their deaths. i just shake my head. why do they think we can shoot through the shield? for shits and giggles?

spiritfox

yep. in pugs it seems like i'm the only one ever behind the rein. all the rest are running ahead to their deaths. i just shake my head. why do they think we can shoot through the shield? for shits and giggles?

Probably cause pub reins don't often shield properly. I had one the other day just kept charging in and dying.

Then class him as a Defense hero like the snipers who do basically the same thing. Support is just misleading. Why is he in there? Just cause he heals a bit with his harmony orb and has an ult that can heal too? Soldier 76 should be support then, too.

His discord orb is support oriented as well

I'm convinced noobs think shields block both ways

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Probably cause pub reins don't often shield properly. I had one the other day just kept charging in and dying.

I do that too honestly, but that's only when my team seems hopeless. We had a torb attacking Anubis point b by putting down a turret at the main gateway constantly for it to be destroyed and everyone is scattered to the sides no matter what. So i might as well just charge in and hopefully create an opening. Instead of letting the other team build meter off my shield.

We actually nearly pulled it off too, but the server ended unexpectedlly, which seemed fitting because it was a true clusterfuck of a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom