• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatjuhR

Is it just me:
90% of the time, the suggestions boil down to "No Tank Heroes" and "No support heroes", BOTH.

And I usually end up having to select a support character to fill in the gap, and in the unlikely event that someone hears the call and turns support, I select D.Va to fill in the Tank role.

Almost every god damn time.

Edit: Last night, I said fuck it, I'm going whatever I like, and I lost 5 matches in a row with different teams, and you guessed right, there were no tank and no support heroes or at least either one of them was missing, because I chose to not fill in that role.

Don't forget that you can also win without a tank/support or lose with both.

Sometimes I get really excited about a match because the first two picked are a support and a tank, but get devestated when we still lose so easy. It's no guarantee.

Helps me being less frustrated about an unbalanced team.

Lupercal

Banned

Sometimes I get really excited about a match because the first two picked are a support and a tank, but get devestated when we still lose so easy. It's no guarantee.

The only thing worse than no tank/support is a bad one.

Mutombo

We got hammered by a team that had a Mercy AND a Lucio AND a Reinhardt. They were fucking unkillable. And when we killed them, they got revived.

NERF MERCY.

ElyrionX

OTs for games like these are always the same. As this is a team-based game, people inevitably start blaming their teammates for being horrible and the main reason for them losing. But of course, they never ever blame themselves for losing. Like that dude in OT2 who was playing a tank and demanded that his teammate who was also playing a tank to switch to support instead. Lol.

Sometimes, a little bit of introspection and self-awareness can go a long way in life.

I feel bad its taken me so long to start trying out Zarya. Didnt play her through the beta or the first 30+ levels of retail, but she is a fucking beast! Will be putting some serious time into her now.

Zemm

Then who can take on tanks on the point? No one. There you go. Now your favorite character is invincible one on one. Congrats. The only people who defend the nerf are people who've been handled by McCree players. Truth.

You do know more than one person can damage another right? Such a salty post because your overpowered class is getting nerfed haha

nOoblet16

Then who can take on tanks on the point? No one. There you go. Now your favorite character is invincible one on one. Congrats. The only people who defend the nerf are people who've been handled by McCree players. Truth.

Let's nerf your favorite character, a character I personally hate, then see how you feel. See it through that perspective. I never played McCree because I heard he was powerful, but when I did play him, I started to realize he has abilities that made him very useful against tank characters that no one else had. Blizzard applied the nerf because of the crying, and figured that losing McCree players would be a small consolation considering all the frustrated people on the other side who'd put down their pitchforks, keep buying loot boxes, and breathe a big 'ole sigh of relief.

Uh..Reaper, Zenyatta and Bastion exist and tank killing is like...their main job you know.
Unlike McCree whose main job is an anti flanker/anti harasser.

Hyun Sai

Devs specifically said that McCree shouldn't kill tanks that quick and people still arguing he doesn't deserve the nerf ?

Jesus fucking Christ.

OTs for games like these are always the same. As this is a team-based game, people inevitably start blaming their teammates for being horrible and the main reason for them losing. But of course, they never ever blame themselves for losing. Like that dude in OT2 who was playing a tank and demanded that his teammate who was also playing a tank to switch to support instead. Lol.

Sometimes, a little bit of introspection and self-awareness can go a long way in life.

Maybe people would be more willing to blame themselves if the game actually compared their stats to their teammates'. The system says everyone's a winner, so everyone thinks they're a winner.

I played on Lijiang Tower as Tracer. I have a tendency to blink sideways so after the barrier was broken on the pagoda map I must have fallen off at least 5 times. Every time I fell all I could think was, "I should have just gone for that health pack instead of wasting my recall" lmao

nOoblet16

Devs specifically said that McCree shouldn't kill tanks that quick and people still arguing he doesn't deserve the nerf ?

Jesus fucking Christ.

Yea exactly, just because he can do so now does not mean he was meant to do so in the first place or that tank killing was suppose to be his main play.

Ofcourse making him not be able to fan roll fan tanks changes his game style, but that game style should never have existed in the first place and as such it's being changed to what it should be.

Tracer is more than capable of decimating Reinhardt, DVA and Zarya. Only loses out to roadhog because of his self-heal, and I don't think anyone really counts winston as a proper tank anyway. That's not even mentioning people who can deal with them from a range.

There are way more options in this game than "E + Right click".

nOoblet16

Tracer is more than capable of decimating Reinhardt, DVA and Zarya. Only loses out to roadhog because of his self-heal, and I don't think anyone really counts winston as a proper tank anyway. That's not even mentioning people who can deal with them from a range.

There are way more options in this game than "E + Right click".
Nope. Tracer can't take out tanks on point (he mentioned on point), if she is on point then sooner or later she'll die from the crossfire considering how long it takes to take out tanks. Her guns are especially crap against D.Va due to how armour works, D.Va literally gains additional 100-200HP against Tracer since every single one of her bullets do only half the damage causing her DPS to drop significantly. Basically... Tracer can take out individual tanks, but she just does not have the DPS to take out tanks on point effectively as a counter.

Reaper, Bastion and Zenyatta are far better and they actually melt tanks rather than chip away their health bit by bit hoping for them to not heal.

Teach me your Symmetra secrets. I never know where to build shit. Where when to rebuild? Same spots? New spots? What about payload maps??? Such an enigma.

Main thing is building towards your Ultimate as soon as possible. Having a teleporter active (and in a good spot) is a HUGE boost to your team and I now look at turrets as a way of building towards earning a teleporter, as much as anything else.

- On Defence, most Symmetras build turrets right outside Attack's spawn doors (good strat) but you can also build 1 or 2 turrets just before you get there. The turret cooldown will have expired by the time you actually reach the spawn door, so you can build your usual three around their spawn doors. Get enough turrets set up (and a team that runs into them) and you can have your teleporter ready to go within 10 seconds of the match starting, which means your team can be super aggressive pushing the Attackers back at spawn. If you have a Lucio, you can sometimes get all 6 turrets out before their doors open.

- Put turrets high up, whenever possible, particularly if they're on the other side of the wall to where the Attacker is facing. They have much further reach than you think and putting them high up forces the other player to stop, turn around and shoot, exposing himself to your team in the meantime.

- Always keep an eye on the amount of turrets you have active (it'll be a x/6 number next to your health), particularly if you don't have a teleporter active. Turret fire is the quickest way to build your Ult and you can build your Ult even while waiting to respawn if you have enough turrets active. The worst is waiting to respawn when you have no turrets active and no Ult.

- Depending on enemy team comp and map, I'll put turrets around an active teleporter to defend it. As turrets aren't currently building towards an Ult - the teleporter is already active - then I don't mind 'wasting' some turrets to keep the teleporter safe. Especially if the other team has a Tracer.

- Generally speaking I'll use 2-3 turrets on a chokepoint and then dot the other turrets around the map, so they work as a 'warning' system, so I know where players on the other team are and where they're attacking from. Having them spread out also means you're more likely to have them firing more often, which builds your Ult. Also depends on the map - first chokepoint on Anubis I'll have four turrets on the arches and then put 2 in one of the rooms on the side, depending on team comp/defence set-up.

- If there's a Reinhart, Torb turret or Bastion turret, use your alternate fire. Really effective.

Easy Reinhardt buff: he can now fan the hammer.

Patch notes.

* Reinhardt right click changed from Barrier Field to new special move Fan the Hasselhoff. We feel that this changes the gameplay of the character to match his lore and personality better while removing some of the frustration of McCree and Widowmaker players experience when the shield blocks their shots.

Nope. Tracer can't take out tanks on point (he mentioned on point), if she is on point then sooner or later she'll die from the crossfire considering how long it takes to take out tanks.her guns are especially crap against D.Va due to how armour works, D.Va literally gains additional 100-200HP against Tracer.

With all due respect, I think you need to get better at tracer then. I have next to no problems dealing with these characters in the vast majority of situations.

Also, are we supposed to believe that this is a 1v6 situation? Because every character is going to get fucked in that instance. 1v1 up to 1v3 (Assuming 1 tank, 1 support, 1DPS) Tracer should at the very least be able to harass and contest until re-enforcements arrive.

Maybe people would be more willing to blame themselves if the game actually compared their score to their teammates'. You can't say everyone's a winner and then act surprised when they don't see that they're the weakest link.

One of the number one things you see every top player in any of these team games say is always ask yourself what You personally could have done better. There's little point in getting mad about the fact that no one on your team was taking the objective. If you're in a group its one thing to comment one that persons choices since they can communicate back with you. Even then don't be a jerk about it always worry about yourself first. No one is perfect and even in someone's best game they can make smarter choices.

If something is wrecking your team and you can identify what that is make the appropriate change to fix it. Is there a Widow wrecking your shit? Get on a flanker and make it your goal to make their life so miserable they switch to something else. Is their Reinhardt a huge god damn asshole whose setting up kills and just being a pain? Get on a Reaper and melt his giant metal ass. No one's staying alive long enough to get shit done and your team is all over the place? Get on Lucio move around and keep people alive. You may not win, but you'll feel like you got something done.

Tracer ult charges super fast and has no warning to let people know its coming out. Its a great tank killing too if you stick them with it. She's also super hard to pin down even on a point as long as you don't move predictably you shouldn't be dying on a point as Tracer. You aren't there to really hold the point you're there get whose ever on it off. I hate Tracer and most of my time has been spent on tanks. I consider her more dangerous than Reaper usually.

nOoblet16

With all due respect, I think you need to get better at tracer then. I have next to no problems dealing with these characters in the vast majority of situations.

Also, are we supposed to believe that this is a 1v6 situation? Because every character is going to get fucked in that instance. 1v1 up to 1v3 (Assuming 1 tank, 1 support, 1DPS) Tracer should at the very least be able to harass and contest until re-enforcements arrive.
Git Gud is not an argument here...considering the fact that Tracer is not a hero to be played on point for long in the first place.
I don't even play Tracer but I don't need to play her to know her weakness...especially since I do play D.Va and I know Tracer is not an issue for me on point or anywhere really due to the fact that she just does not have the DPS to kill me nor can she chase me. I can take out anyone as Genji but I won't call him a tank killer, be it on point or elsewhere.

The bolded proves my point true and your argument about getting better moot.
Since I never said she can't harass, I said she can't take out tanks on point. And certainly not well enough to be considered a tank killer like Reaper, Zenyatta, Bastion or McCree atm since her pea shooters are terrible against armour (it does 3 damage per bullet at max, but on an average you'll be doing 1.5 per bullet due to the fall off). I only said this because you mentioned she is capable of "decimating tanks"..which is not the same as harassing. The only tank she can reliably kill is Reinhardt and that's about it.

EDIT: You also discarded Winston in your previous post when he is one of the strong counters against Tracer due to the fact that his gun auto aims, works even when she is blinking and does enough damage to kill a Tracer quickly and he obviously has a lot higher health than her.

ragevvorks

Neo Member
The new random hero brawl is probably the best mode currently in Overwatch. It also feels much more balanced compared to quickie play - more often than not you have a counter for the most annoying characters on the opposing team. E.g I just played a game where the enemy team random'd 3 reinhardts and a bastion - I died and respawned a Symmetra and my teammate became a Reinhardt. A few orbs of death later the enemy camp of murderbullets was down!

It also helps discover the fun in characters you've never played before - I now thoroughly enjoy Tracer and Mei-Bae. (Previously I only played Mercy and Reinpoo).

On the other hand - Quick Play nowadays feels like a frustration fest, especially solo - I haven't been able to win a single game for the past 2 days after being at a 57% win rate.. down to 49% now! Thanks matchmaking..

- On Defence, most Symmetras build turrets right outside Attack's spawn doors (good strat) but you can also build 1 or 2 turrets just before you get there. The turret cooldown will have expired by the time you actually reach the spawn door, so you can build your usual three around their spawn doors. Get enough turrets set up (and a team that runs into them) and you can have your teleporter ready to go within 10 seconds of the match starting, which means your team can be super aggressive pushing the Attackers back at spawn. If you have a Lucio, you can sometimes get all 6 turrets out before their doors open.

Hmm, interesting thought. At first I was going to respond and say how much I didn't like this piece of advice, because it didn't seem worth it to sacrifice the element of surprise with your turrets by revealing a Symmetra on the team right away, just to kill a few enemies at the gate. But the part about charging your ultimate with it makes sense. Probably would work better on maps like Hollywood with limited visibility through the gates before the match starts.And you can always fall back and put your turrets on the usual health points and flanking passages while the enemy deals with destroying your turrets at the spawn gate. Might have to try this once I get my PC back from the shop.

Sometimes, yeah.

Trying out the 2 supports thing people talked about. Will go for Lucio when Mercy is in the team, or vice-versa.

Sometimes, yeah.

Trying out the 2 supports thing people talked about. Will go for Lucio when Mercy is in the team, or vice-versa.

I'm personally of the opinion that Zenyatta is the ultimate off support. He brings a ton of damage, pretty safe heal, and a massive debuff. A fun one is dropping the healing orb on Reinhardt while Mercy does a damage buff and throwing out discord on whoever he's going after. The Reinhardt can kind of just go ham and people aren't really ready for it at all. Hammer swings do something silly like 150 dmg he two shots anyone who isn't a tank.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I still haven't opened a single chest and I have no intention to do it. Their content won't change the game and I've never cared about cosmetic things so why bother. I'm level 22 at the the moment, so I have 21 crates. Well, actually, I opened one box during beta because I had no idea what it was about and went totally "meh".

It's still a single click/press of a button to do. So, why not doing it? It's not like it takes 5 mins to open a single loot box. Even if you don't care about cosmetics, it's still nice to have choices.

Zaventem

There is literally nobody taking out tanks faster than mr cowboy currently with how he currently works. Sometimes I just jump on mccree because it's the only way to counter a mccree on the enemy team. 865 with fan flash fan means 99% of things are dead. You have to realise some ultimates don't even have that kind of power, man I can't wait.

I do hope that one day much more public players will notice the huge base window in watchpoint Gibraltar on attack, you can see nearly everything the defense is planning through it yet I'm almost always standing there scoping things out alone.
Like spying when there's a reaper waiting by the top door to mug the inevitable sniper, or sighting the turret and bastion configurations.

Git Gud is not an argument here...considering the fact that Tracer is not a hero to be played on point for long in the first place.
I don't even play Tracer but I don't need to play her to know her weakness...especially since I do play D.Va and I know Tracer is not an issue for me on point or anywhere really due to the fact that she just does not have the DPS to kill me nor can she chase me. I can take out anyone as Genji but I won't call him a tank killer, be it on point or elsewhere.

The bolded proves my point true and your argument about getting better moot.
Since I never said she can't harass, I said she can't take out tanks on point. And certainly not well enough to be considered a tank killer like Reaper, Zenyatta, Bastion or McCree atm since her pea shooters are terrible against armour (it does 3 damage per bullet at max, but on an average you'll be doing 1.5 per bullet due to the fall off). I only said this because you mentioned she is capable of "decimating tanks"..which is not the same as harassing. The only tank she can reliably kill is Reinhardt and that's about it.

EDIT: You also discarded Winston in your previous post when he is one of the strong counters against Tracer due to the fact that his gun auto aims, works even when she is blinking and does enough damage to kill a Tracer quickly and he obviously has a lot higher health than her.

I don't think it's fair or valid for you to discount a particular character's viability in a certain scenario when you admit to not having played that character for any decent length of time. If you haven't been in those scenarios yourself, how could you possibly express an opinion on them?

Additionally, whilst "git gud" is not always applicable (And it should be noted that I didn't say those precise words as I didn't want to be an asshole towards you), player skill is definitely a large factor in the success rate of Tracer, as it is with many other characters in this game. For example, Widowmaker is without doubt one of the most powerful characters in the game right now, but whenever I play as Widowmaker, my results are less than stellar. Why? Because I'm not good enough with the character. I think the same applies to you with Tracer. The part of my quote you bolded was also in reference to a worst-case scenario (Hence why I put at the least.)

Now, as for whether she "decimates" or not, I still stand by my initial statement. Tracer can decimate Tanks. We may differ on our definition of "decimate", but In my mind it refers to the ability to kill whilst putting yourself at little to no risk rather than the "time to kill". Tracer can reliably do this against Reinhardt, Zarya and DVA. It's also worth noting that I count the enemy fleeing as a victory, especially when in relation to the contesting of a point.

Finally, I omitted Winston because yes, Tracer isn't great against Winston. The original post did not specify "all" tanks, and quite frankly if classes were able to deal with all tanks it would be ridiculous. (Like Mcree)

Ayumi

Haven't been able to play for a week, and I can't stop thinking of the game. I've played a few hours at most (lvl 14 or so), and I'm already in love with it.

Can't wait until I have more time to play. But リア充! So until then (maybe next week), I'll be enjoying all the fanart.

This is probably obvious to most players, but my mind is kinda blown here. When I play Symmetra, I never really thought about using turrets specifically as a resource to farm ultimate. Putting them right outside the doors seemed like a great way to have them blown up after about 10 seconds, but I bet I could could build a huge chunk of ultimate in that time frame. I'm definitely going to think about that with turret placement in the future.

I mean just basically think when you place them, where's a good spot that a sniper can get from far away, but fucking incoming runners.

Yep. Or think, "Is that a moving elevator?" If yes, put it on that.

Well worht it, he's fun. Also, that's one of the best skins in the game.

Easily one of the best skins. I'm still just so unreliable with him. I'm either full Winston disrupt mode or I'm getting killed just before I reach the place I was heading. No between.

I do hope that one day much more public players will notice the huge base window in watchpoint Gibraltar on attack, you can see nearly everything the defense is planning through it yet I'm almost always standing there scoping things out alone.
Like spying when there's a reaper waiting by the top door to mug the inevitable sniper, or sighting the turret and bastion configurations.

Yeah, I'll admit that I was like most pub players, just kinda fooling around and shooting up stuff inside the spawn room, until another player on Gibraltar said, "Hey,come up here and look out the window!" Now I tend to spend my time on Attack before the match starts staring out of any available viewpoint and letting the team chat know what I'm seeing.

jotun?

I've been playing a lot of Winston lately, and I've found this to be far from true. Winston can be good at killing a Tracer who tries to run away, but in a straight-up fight she eats him alive.

Tracer does far, far more damage than Winston. He may have more health, but Tracer essentially has almost 300 with her rewind, which is easy to time optimally against Winston's lack of burst damage. She's also more capable of grabbing health kits during the fight. She can blink more often than Winston is able to leap, which means she can spend a good portion of the fight outside his range.

It's not nearly as bad of a matchup as running into a McCree, Reaper, or Roadhog, but it's still not a favorable one. It probably also varies by skill level, and I can imagine that at lower skill levels Tracer would be an easier kill. This is how I'd rate Winston's matchups at my skill level though:

Easy Prey:
- Mercy
- Hanzo
- Widowmaker
- Zenyatta
- Symmetra

Favorable:
- Genji
- Lucio
- Pharah

Neutral:
- Torbjorn