• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

desverger

I love playing as Zenyatta and will deffo be playing more of him now that he isn't a one-shot miracle for Widows.

By the way, what does Zarya say when you ult? I always hear something like "Time for the toughness test!".

Banzai

I mean, K/D doesn't mean anything if you're doing your job. Stats aren't great or bad without a proper context. No reason to even think of them.

If you want to see if you're doing relatively better or worse you'll have to check your stats for individual characters.

I know I shouldn't think about them as much. I'd probably play better for it and enjoy myself more.

Does score/min mean anything on Master Overwatch? Just saw I'm ranked as #9700 as Tracer and #427 as Reinhardt. Doesn't sound like much but considering the size of the player base...
My Lucio needs work though.

By the way, what does Zarya say when you ult? I always hear something like "Time for the toughness test!".

Always sounds like "I'm going for the top [russian word]" to me

Огонь по готовности. It means "fire at will".

Just like Mei's "冻住,不许走!" means "freeze, don't move!"

Eric WK

Up to level 90 and feeling pretty good about my Xbox leaderboard positions. Win rate has suffered a bit over the past two days, though. :/

QYIQ46b.png

jeemer

I got the game the other night. I have a feeling most teams are still gonna hate the newbie (i'll still sometimes blank when i have the perfect power/skill for a situation) but with a boatload of tf2 experience i'm doing my best to play my part. i'm level 10 now.

i also feel like reaper players will want to murder me. level 9 and 10 both lootboxes had a reaper legendary - plague doctor and then nevermore. nevermore is actually my favourite of his (el blanco being second) but i really don't see me playing him too much, at least not yet.

how does organising games work? is everyone just mass-adding people in their area from the google doc, or is it arranged on discord itself? (never used it before)

eu pc here.

I love playing as Zenyatta and will deffo be playing more of him now that he isn't a one-shot miracle for Widows.

Огонь по готовности

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I always hear it as "Going for the toddler steal".

Which kind of makes me want to make a macro to enter "STEALING ALL YOUR TODDLERS" into chat.

Lucille is so overpowered it's dumb as shit. Just played a game where he stopped the entire payload for six minutes by jumping off walls and running in circles while healing himself. He moves too fast to hit with a controller. Fucking stupid.

Sick MLG trick from a Lucio console player: they habitually spam the jump button and don't really use their gun. Compensate and hook them with Roadhog. Have a Pharah back you up when they alt fire, or just murder them yourself because they'll be stunned longer at close range.

Also, Reinhardt's hammer kills me all the time when I get cocky. Swing slightly right of him for increased reach.

peakish

I know I shouldn't think about them as much. I'd probably play better for it and enjoy myself more.

Does score/min mean anything on Master Overwatch? Just saw I'm ranked as #9700 as Tracer and #427 as Reinhardt. Doesn't sound like much but considering the size of the player base...
My Lucio needs work though.
A while ago I saw a good video for SC2, saying that wins and losses aren't very important since the matchmaking system will try to match you up with similarly skilled players which will mean that just about every other game will be a loss. While that's not perfectly applicable to stats (and the MMR system is kind of wonky in this game), his point was that you should try to measure improvement in very specific areas every game. I.e. this game I will have perfect macro and never be supply blocked, and then focus hard on that aspect in the game. You can then measure your success in improving something, rather than looking at a more finicky result which to some extent is out of your control if you're matched up improperly.

I don't think this needs be taken to its extreme, but it's nice to both think of specific things you want to improve and then notice that they become easier with time as you are learning. I haven't played an online team game in more than a decade so I'm unused to thinking of proper team coordination. Right now I'm trying to always keep in mind where I am in relation to the rest of my team and I've been getting better at knowing when I can go in or to retreat. I'm also trying to improve my counterpicking by spending more time between respawns to actively think about it.

If I'm noticing improvements in my play that's worth more to me than looking at my stats.

how does organising games work? is everyone just mass-adding people in their area from the google doc, or is it arranged on discord itself? (never used it before)

eu pc here.
I've added a few people from the document, but to be honest I have too much performance anxiety to hit most of them up for a game. It's easier to play with people you know already than be bad in someone else's game :/ (To my above post's point this is something I should improve so if you're willing you can hit me up for a game tonight, my tag is in the doc)

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Tracer is much more of a threat now, her two biggest counters got nerfed. Now, Widow has to headshot to kill her, and McCree is less effective against other characters, meaning he'll be picked less.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Tonight was insane, we kept vsing a team who insisted on going all soldier 76. At first we had a hard time, until we countered with all genji, oh my god that was too fun.

Soma

Symmetra has now overtaken D.Va and Zen as my most played hero. Feels good.

Up to level 90 and feeling pretty good about my Xbox leaderboard positions. Win rate has suffered a bit over the past two days, though. :/

QYIQ46b.png
Good album 👌

kubricks

I just tried McCree and Tracer can apparently rewind out of stun animation, mid fan-the-hammer. :( Stun definitely played first. Either that or the stun is short than I'm expecting.

Was at low health then I got killed by Genji's deflect during my FTH.... he must have deflected my last bullet.
Just need to be quicker on my clicking lol.

Yam's

what does it mean when people have a star next to their level? that they went to level 99 and have to start over again?

Yeah. That's the Prestige system. Once you hit 101, you start over at Star Lv 1. It also takes the same amount of xp you needed for lv 1-100. This means that reaching lv 102 from 101 only requires 2000 xp.

Braag

Was at low health then I got killed by Genji's deflect during my FTH.... he must have deflected my last bullet.
Just need to be quicker on my clicking lol.

I've managed to escape McCrees flashbang + FAN several times with deflect. You need to do it real fast in order to kill the Genji or Tracer without them escaping.
Same thing with Roadhog's hook, you can deflect his shot after getting chained. Though it's 50/50 whether he kills me or if I manage to deflect the shotgun blast, not sure is it because some Hog players shooter faster after hooking or is it just the game randomly picking one players action over another.

Dr. Buni

Connection issue, perhaps packet loss.
The packet loss symbol is different, it appeared a lot for me last night. Every time I used some mobility ability like D.Va's booster or Reinhardt's charge the hero would weirdly flick around ._.
I've managed to escape McCrees flashbang + FAN several times with deflect. You need to do it real fast in order to kill the Genji or Tracer without them escaping.
Same thing with Roadhog's hook, you can deflect his shot after getting chained. Though it's 50/50 whether he kills me or if I manage to deflect the shotgun blast, not sure is it because some Hog players shooter faster after hooking or is it just the game randomly picking one players action over another.
It is because the hook is a glitchy mess. If the Roadhog is holding down the button you shouldn't have time to react after the hook, but sometimes you not only can, but you will be pulled behind or above Roadhog.

Banzai

Had a Genji deflect my Mei alt back and froze five of my teammates.

Feels bad, man.

Haha, awesome. Come to think of it, can Genji deflect Tracer or Zarya ults the same way?

About that, I've read that it's actually better to hold your escape button (Tracer E for example) than to spam it when hooked or flashbanged ie you're more likely to escape. Does anyone know if there's truth to that?

Haha, awesome. Come to think of it, can Genji deflect Tracer or Zarya ults the same way?

About that, I've read that it's actually better to hold your escape button (Tracer E for example) than to spam it when hooked or flashbanged ie you're more likely to escape. Does anyone know if there's truth to that?

Yes and yes. And yes.

Lyndzei

Neo Member
What do these icons mean?

eiahYge.png
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/7779
Detailed information on "Network icons".
You can also see the detailed connection graph by pressing Shift + Ctrl + N.

I do see the two icons regularly myself but they don't seem to have any impact on my gameplay. I noticed that I don't have them when using a VPN though, but it made no difference in game.
Note: The thresholds for these icons are currently turned down very low, and will pulse when there isn't necessarily a problem. This threshold may change.

Shahadan

So I kept killing this lvl 70 Hanzo with Symmetra because he was going near my teleport and apparently it was his first time because he kept freaking out.

And apparently now I have to do some nasty things to my mother ;(

kami_sama

So I kept killing this lvl 70 Hanzo with Symmetra because he was going near my teleport and apparently it was his first time because he kept freaking out.

And apparently now I have to do some nasty things to my mother ;(

Lol. Killing Genji with symmetra is easy if he freaks out. Deflect does nothing and aiming with he surikens is hard if you keep bouncing around.

Moonkid

Added myself to the Google doc, gonna go hard for my inter-semester break :)

Also, how does the community thing work on PSN? I remember it being invite-only.

Огонь по готовности. It means "fire at will".

Just like Mei's "冻住,不许走!" means "freeze, don't move!"

I always thought she said, "I'm going to forget amnesty" which was slightly strange, but still made some form of sense.

Zarya's my 3rd most played hero behind Zenyatta and Widowmaker, and I only realised on Monday that her charge level is shown under her cross hair. I used to just guesstimate what it was based on the size of the energy sphere. I feel like a complete idiot now.

Is Widowmaker getting the same PC nerf on the console versions? As a Zenyatta I'd be happy for her body shot damage being nerfed, but as a console Widowmaker I admitted find myself getting a lot of kills via bodyshots, so the nerf would be a double edged sword for me.

TheMink

Here's one of my biggest complaints: I see teammate fighting enemy player. I run over to help heal and boost them. Enemy player decides to focus on me first. Teammates runs off to look for someone else to fight. AAARRGGGHHH.

For me, it's just having a little concern making sure your Mercy is okay. Not saying to spend all your time checking on me, but if you know an enemy is right around you and you are getting attacked at all, give a thought to the fact that Mercy might be in trouble at that moment.

That makes sense, and I do my best. I guess I misinterpreted the complaints to mean that I should be watching her all the time.

I actually am going to try playing a game where I just watch my Mercy as McCree or something and see if it's an effective strategy...

Playing soldier can be depressing because of the games when you get 5 gold medals and lose including gold for out healing the mercy. Got to remember to never tell people that they are playing the totally wrong character for the map and enemy team it never goes well. Just take the forced 50 on the chin and ignore the game.

When Reinhardt says "group up with me", and then he dashes into a group of enemies and dies in seconds.

People who think that Rein is a "fun" character because he can smack the enemy team down. SMH. He's a boring character where the actual best play you can make most of the time is to stand perfectly still and hold right mouse button. Stop trying to enjoy the game.

Dr. Buni

When Reinhardt says "group up with me", and then he dashes into a group of enemies and dies in seconds.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/993/875/084.png[MG][/QUOTE]
I will ping the point and say group with me if I want the team to follow me to the point. Like, I am going to dash there and distract their team, so use the opportunity to get to the point or soften their defenses. Works wonderfuly on maps like Hanamura (point A) and Numbani (if they don't have a Bastion sitting there). I find that better than standing behind a corner waiting for my shield to refill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom