• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinZed

Thread title is so on point. My last three boxes have been white, white, blue, white. And in the last box two of those were dupes as well. Sigh.

Just gotta brace yourself for mediocrity and be pleasantly surprised if you get something nice I suppose. Not the most appealing loot system in the world. :p

I know I shouldn't think about them as much. I'd probably play better for it and enjoy myself more.

Does score/min mean anything on Master Overwatch? Just saw I'm ranked as #9700 as Tracer and #427 as Reinhardt. Doesn't sound like much but considering the size of the player base...
My Lucio needs work though.

It only ranks you within players that use the site or have been searched for on the site. So that #427 is probably out of 20,000 or so, who knows though. That's why the ranking is inflated however.

Score per min and total score (the stats which it ranks by) do not mean anything though. You can have great games with low scores per minute, and you can have terrible games where you lose, with very high score per minute, and many of the distributions of score are very arbitary. As an example, roadhog player that heals whenever he can will have higher score per minute than a roadhog player that uses his heal at appropriate times, because healing counts toward score.

Team mates also affect it, the best players will have harder times netting high score per minute playing with equally skilled team mates than randoms that others who are slightly more skilled than their team mates in public lobbies. Why? because if you're playing solo then you can get higher score per minute due to crappy team mates not picking up the slack. At low levels of play I've seen even bad players net 50+ eliminations in a match of capture, but at higher levels things are more decisive and less influenced by individual players (therefore, less opportunity for super high score per minute).

Just examples though, plenty of confounds that make it a pretty useless metric.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
People who think that Rein is a "fun" character because he can smack the enemy team down. SMH. He's a boring character where the actual best play you can make most of the time is to stand perfectly still and hold right mouse button. Stop trying to enjoy the game.

Nah, only up to the point where you create an opening for your team to fan out. Then you run around swinging your hammer like crazy because there's no real point holding your shield.

Also dashing rein into the fray during overtime sometimes works pretty well. Spawned, teammates are fighting it out in overtime, dashed in to pin a roadhog, hammer, hammer, win game.

TheMink

If a Mercy is anywhere around you they tell you they are being attacked automatically. If you aren't hearing it it's probably because you aren't paying attention. A good team will keep their Mercy alive, and a bad one will just ignore her and act like it's her job to stay alive solo. I like playing against bad teams. I get on Winston and I kill her over and over and over again. Mercy was my main for a long time, but I've almost completely stopped using her because people get tunnel vision, don't pay attention and let her get constantly wrecked. I can't tell you how many times I'll be buffing damage/healing someone and I'll get attack and the person I'm buffing just keeps running off and lets me die.

The surround sound in this game is excellent, and Blizzard has added a ton of cues to help you out. There's really no excuse for not knowing what's going on around you at any given time.

That's good to know, but this still only half the issue. I'm more frustrated by this being a perfect outlet for the "it's eveybody elses fault but mine!" attitude. Is it sometimes? Sure, but that's true of anyone. My other side complain is that I play with way more bad Mercys than good ones, I actually think that Mercy players don't realize how high their skill cieling actually is.

Why does a Rienhart who is doing nothing but sheild need a constant health regen? Are there Symettras? If not there it's probably a way better use of your time time find other tasks. Extention of that issue, tanks aren't the only characters who need healing. I've been at like 9 hp with a Mercy standing two feet from me and refused to change her heal target.
Why does a sniper need healing like ever? Why are you even up there? (Not you personally just in general) meanwhile Roadhog is doing his best to keep the lane from moving.

Then there are times when a Mercy takes a risk and goes to flank with me, I go on easy 10 streaks and she is super mobile and stays close to my own line of sight for easy free kill saves. It's amazing!

So many factors to this issue other than "listen better."

Nah, only up to the point where you create an opening for your team to fan out. Then you run around swinging your hammer like crazy because there's no real point holding your shield.

Also dashing rein into the fray during overtime sometimes works pretty well. Spawned, teammates are fighting it out in overtime, dashed in to pin a roadhog, hammer, hammer, win game.

The thing is if you are not mostly holding up the shield for a team you are actually better off playing Winston.

PatjuhR

The problem with Reinhard is people not going to stand behind the shield and wrecking shit in front of it.

Randoms barely do that for some reason. Allowing the enemy team to just have a go at your shield and destroy it.

I had only a Soldier 76 behind my shield for a game and we already came a long way. Imagine the whole team behind it.

cuilan

I finally got my star! Ok, so should I try out one of these other D.vawatch secondary characters, or should I maintain my purity?

17Jxbkd.jpg

Also an update to my total unlocks so far: Blue = 60, Purple = 24, Orange = 13

The problem with Reinhard is people not going to stand behind the shield and wrecking shit in front of it.

Randoms barely do that for some reason. Allowing the enemy team to just have a go at your shield and destroy it.

I had only a Soldier 76 behind my shield for a game and we already came a long way. Imagine the whole team behind it.

The trust isn't there. You stand behind a new Rein player and he instantly dashes off trying to pin a tracer 50 meters away. Then you get snipped by a snipper.

kromeo

It sure has to right?

You won't rank that high without teamplay I hope.

I'd worry that the people who charge round the map racking up kills like CoD will be ranked high despite being useless. Either way I just want to play with the other other midrange players, with the dross and elites taken out

kromeo

I finally got my star! Ok, so should I try out one of these other D.vawatch secondary characters, or should I maintain my purity?

This has to be a photoshop surely?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The thing is if you are not mostly holding up the shield for a team you are actually better off playing Winston.

Look I'm not saying don't hold up the shield, but there's more to it then just holding a shield, because only bad teams allow a rein to hold a shield forever without consequence. You'll either get flanked, or have your shield gone to nothing due to junkrats, pharrahs or bastions. It's all about maneuvering to a better position, and that usually involves tight quarters. Where a hammer or 2 is needed.

Even payloads, where most of the time it is pretty much just holding a shield, unless you're playing a really bad team you're going to get flanked constantly.

nbraun80

kinda sucks i can go like 4 hours of playing and never get a KotH map, it's my favorite mode in this but just never seems to come up much.

shas'la

It blows my mind that you've played the same hero for 96 hours and NO OTHERS! You must be seriously good at D.Va by now!

PatjuhR

I'd worry that the people who charge round the map racking up kills like CoD will be ranked high despite being useless. Either way I just want to play with the other other midrange players, with the dross and elites taken out

What if they solely rank on W/L ratio?

cuilan

Nice! And it just so happens that I too got a launched self-destruct triple kill during one of the last matches I played. In my case, it happened on King's Row while my team and I were pushing through the last section. It got me the PotG too!

This has to be a photoshop surely?

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/psn/global/Burijitto

It blows my mind that you've played the same hero for 96 hours and NO OTHERS! You must be seriously good at D.Va by now!

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10000 times."

You're gonna be a monster to play against when d.va gets buffed.

Blues1990

I think you should give the other heroes a shot. Lucio is an incredibly fun support character, and Zarya is a cool variant of the tank class that can curve stomp the opposition at full charge. I haven't tried Zenyatta yet, so I'm going to practice with him in Training Mode before heading online with him.

Thread title is so on point. My last three boxes have been white, white, blue, white. And in the last box two of those were dupes as well. Sigh.

Just gotta brace yourself for mediocrity and be pleasantly surprised if you get something nice I suppose. Not the most appealing loot system in the world. :p

This is one of the best OT Title's ever. My last 4 boxes have been just that.

ElyrionX

I believe the guys who think that the matchmaking will magically turn better in ranked are going to be in for a wonderful surprise LOL.

X-Frame

The trust isn't there. You stand behind a new Rein player and he instantly dashes off trying to pin a tracer 50 meters away. Then you get snipped by a snipper.

Yup. When I play Reinhardt with randoms I attempt to show them that they can trust me to shield them by maintaining the shield as often as I can, twisting and moving to make sure I block as much damage as possible, on disengaging when it's about to break.

I also don't Fire Strike anymore when there are teammate's behind me because that 1-2 second animation can really shred them if they're not expecting it.

Once my team rallies behind me and so long as there are some that watch my flank or any speedy heroes that can quickly pass the shield, it's usually an easy victory unless I am going up against the same setup.

Yam's

Having played in Heroes of the Storm ranked system, I have no doubt that Overwatch's ranked mode will be more of the same. In Quick mode you still get more of the same xp when you lose, where in ranked you'll lose ranks. People will behave like dicks whenever that happens for sure.

I hope other modes will come sooner than later. Modes that will give the same xp as quick mode too. I still have no idea why brawl gives less xp. Except for Mystery and maybe Girl Power, I see no reason to bother with brawl for the moment.

I believe the guys who think that the matchmaking will magically turn better in ranked are going to be in for a wonderful surprise LOL.
MM will be based on rank. The higher your rank the better. Good players will get higher rank. Crappy players will be lower rank. So, yeah, it will be better, cause that's how ranked works, people also take it more seriously, especially if blizz decides to add a reward system to ranked.

Being a Reinhardt is often a thankless job. The few times randos actually use the cover you create, they seem unaware that your shield breaks and needs to recharge. When they inevitably die when their visibly cracking cover disappears, they somehow blame you for their inability to back out of the main lane.

Most of the time you're left on your own though, which kind of defeats the point of a Reinhardt. It's the character I swap away from the most often, since you can tell pretty early on if your team is actually going to make use of you or not.

I think he's saying that most people are in for a rude awakening as to how high their skill level actually is. ;)

I think that low ranked MMR in other games is full of people with fairly high individual skill who just hate teamwork and get buttmad at everything and everyone. If you get tilted super easy it doesn't matter if you have the reactions of a 16 year old and high accuracy.

Greddleok

I'm SO torn on getting this game.

The muscled up Russian weightlifter lady sings to my heart.

the 70€ price tag screams at my wallet.

Doesn't help that every gaming podcast spends like 20 minutes talking about it.

Being a Reinhardt is often a thankless job. The few times randos actually use the cover you create, they seem unaware that your shield breaks and needs to recharge. When they inevitably die when their visibly cracking cover disappears, they somehow blame you for their inability to back out of the main lane.

Most of the time you're left on your own though, which kind of defeats the point of a Reinhardt. It's the character I swap away from the most often, since you can tell pretty early on if your team is actually going to make use of you or not.
I always use rein shield to cover . But the time they just drop the shield and want to attack I go away. Especially when I'm trying to shoot at turrets.

jeemer

the 70€ price tag screams at my wallet.

are you after the origins edition or whatever it's called? i just bought the base version direct from blizz for £29.99 in the end.

level 43 still no legandaries, Blazzard pls

Yikes. I am only level 10 and would give away one of mine if I could :( I thought there were supposed to be automatic "pity" legendaries if you hadn't gotten one by 40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom