• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Buni

Man I hope the D-Va buffs significantly change up her playstyle. I have had amazing luck with D-Va skins, emotes, intros etc...and I can't stand playing as her. I'd rather use Winston for every single occasion she might be useful.

Meanwhile Symmetra is all defaults and I am apparently some kind of Symmetra savant. Ridiculous win rate and get POTG hilariously often due to my extreme aggression with her beam (when my teleporter is alive)
Hmm no thanks. D.Va being a tanky Tracer is the only reason I even bother playing her at times.
Is it just me or is the audio cue on wolf skin Hanzo's ult much shorter than the regular ult?
It is both shorter and quieter, they really need to fix that.

I bought this game on a whim after getting bored during a TF2 session. Holy god this game is perfect. Every character I've tried is fun to play and they all seem perfectly balanced. Blizzard is setting a new bar in arena shooters and it's really, really high compared to literally all of the competition. And the art - it's so wonderful.

I think I like Mei the best. She's actually a tough cookie in close quarters, can buy her team some time or shut down a sniper for a moment with her ice wall, and can wreck anyone if she gets in close enough to freeze them. Her ultimate also annihilates anyone in range. Loving her.

My second favorite I guess is Tracer. She's able to ambush people with such ease and handle three or four opponents at once. I am not that great with her but I have spectated far better players using her and she can wreck a team in no time.

Best $60 I've spent in a long time on a game. I even purchased ten loot crates because why not? There's some really cool stuff in them.

ok, played the game more. Some massive, glaring problems. Some balance issues that are so atrocious it makes me wonder. Anyways. Still better than other arena shooters. But lord Jesus. Some of these balance issues make me think the balance team should, I dunno, spend their time trying to graduate high school again.

Lol what a reversal. Which characters hurt you?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me or is the audio cue on wolf skin Hanzo's ult much shorter than the regular ult?

It's the same length I think but the issue is that the audio is really low until he speaks the very last word. The audio is also really low on Widowmaker's Ult and needs to be fixed.

Rixxan

Has MMR applied to Quickplay been proven?

I'll agree it certainly feels that way, consider myself a pretty good player and I feel like lately i'm in games with other very capable people

I gotta say, i'm not a huge fan of that direction. I feel like Quickplay should be entirely random in terms of skill based matchmaking, and that sort of thing should be saved for competitive/ranked mode.

mbpm1

well it's like this. The guy with the bow, Hanzo I think, has a gigantic hitbox and braindead U. I got 59 kills in a match, barely knowing what I was doing. Shoot around corners, make dragon, kill 5 people every 30 seconds.

On the flip side I played many support characters and could barely make an effort. Like 15 kills with Rein? Maybe 20 with Mei? And that was trying really, really hard.

The game favors offense to a massive fault. They need to walk it back big time. Hell I had like 59 kills with the Demoman dude my very first try.

Support characters are for supporting

I'll agree it certainly feels that way, consider myself a pretty good player and I feel like lately i'm in games with other very capable people

I gotta say, i'm not a huge fan of that direction. I feel like Quickplay should be entirely random in terms of skill based matchmaking, and that sort of thing should be saved for competitive/ranked mode.
Why? So every match is a funless stomp?

As a League player who has to deal with rankless matches that are as competitive as playing bots, fuck no. Imagine how much fun it must be to play in a team of people who just started playing against say, Seagull's premade team.

Dr. Buni

You are competing against others in quick play, so that makes it a competitive mode, too. Just because there are no ranks in quick play it doesn't make it less "serious". Which means a MMR is necessary. I don't see how randomness can be a good thing at all in a game like this. People's idea that only ranked is competitive is fucking stupid.
Support characters are for supporting
image.php

kyle-777-

About the patch:

I feel like McCree is pretty fair now, he can still counter tracer and Genji consistently, but now he have to land all (I am not sure, but still it's way harder to kill) to kill Reaper and is not easy to kill a tank with FB, FtH, Roll, FtH.

Widow I feel like it's way more balanced, still I am not sure if it was enough, for some reason I did not see Widow in the enemy team every game like before patch, so could not be sure.

Rixxan

Why? So every match is a funless stomp?

Well, for starters, because it feels rather arbitrary and non-transparent

I cant gauge what my MMR actually is, and I can't assess what others are.

I guess I just assumed that because a ranked mode was coming, that quick play was more a casual option. I'm absolutely amped for ranked mode, and its pretty much all i see myself playing once it comes out, but I guess thats why I felt like quick play was just that, quick play - hop into a random pick-up game and sometimes great players will be there, and sometimes there will be average players, i dunno

Well, for starters, because it feels rather arbitrary and non-transparent

I cant gauge what my MMR actually is, and I can't assess what others are.

I guess I just assumed that because a ranked mode was coming, that quick play was more a casual option. I'm absolutely amped for ranked mode, and its pretty much all i see myself playing once it comes out, but I guess thats why I felt like quick play was just that, quick play - hop into a random pick-up game and sometimes great players will be there, and sometimes there will be average players, i dunno
It doesn't have to be transparent and other's MMR is irrelevant because they have for the most part similar MMR to yours. MMR isn't ELO, it's simply a matchmaking algorithm to pit you against people that win as often as you do. Remove that and match quality goes down the shitter with new players playing against veterans and having no chance of winning.

I got 61 eliminations with Tracer on an epic KOTH match with GAFfers. Overtime lasted for an obscenely long time. That's the only way you can rack up that many kills. There simply isn't enough time in a game to be able to stomp someone and approach that number.

Genji, Tracer and Lucio end up getting pulled either to my side or behind me too often when I hook them with Roadhog. These are the tricker grabs and often good enemies to take out quick, but their speed seems to cause issues for the mechanic. If an enemy gets grabbed as the go around a corner, I'm not bothered if they end up in a weird positions, they probably shouldn't have been caught in the first place. However, those 3 characters can be grabbed in the wide open, no obstacles in the way and they end up either behind me or to my side if they were moving quickly before the hook.

ISOM

I just remembered that they need to patch Roadhog's hook. Him being able to throw his hook through buildings to get me when he can't even see me is bs.

Rixxan

MMR isn't ELO, it's simply a matchmaking algorithm to pit you against people that win as often as you do.

Again though, has this been confirmed? Is that really all it's doing, putting me against others with the same win rate? Are average eliminations or medals or anything else not factored into the algorithm?

I guess my complaint is just don't understand how it works, maybe I shouldn't care - but I do

Man I hope the D-Va buffs significantly change up her playstyle. I have had amazing luck with D-Va skins, emotes, intros etc...and I can't stand playing as her. I'd rather use Winston for every single occasion she might be useful.

Meanwhile Symmetra is all defaults and I am apparently some kind of Symmetra savant. Ridiculous win rate and get POTG hilariously often due to my extreme aggression with her beam (when my teleporter is alive)

They're going to tweak her a little, not change her into a different style.

My favorite character. Play her like tracer. Harass. Pull out and find healing frequently. Remember to back away and spam auto pistol fire when out of mech...it does crazy damage even at long, long range. In a pinch use her field to help push forward or suicide ram the turret and blast it up close.

Her Ultimate is kinda weak sauce most of the time though. Hard to get more than one or two people unless you get really lucky or combo with freeze or gravity orb.

So is it just me or is Tracer so much overpowered now that they've nerfed the two main counters to her, Widow and McCree?

I've been trying her out since the patch and destroying the opposition easily.

Again though, has this been confirmed? Is that really all it's doing, putting me against others with the same win rate? Are average eliminations or medals or anything else not factored into the algorithm?

I guess my complaint is just don't understand how it works, maybe I shouldn't care - but I do

The algorithm would take in a ton of variables. It's not something that anyone knows but Blizzard and there is no reason to know. It's not something they would want the players to actively manipulate if they know exactly how it is calculated.

DrArchon

So is it just me or is Tracer so much overpowered now that they've nerfed the two main counters to her, Widow and McCree?

McCree should still easily take out Tracer. One FtH is still enough to kill her. And Widowmaker getting bodyshots on Tracer was never a solid counter imo.

She's always been good.

LiK

McCree should still be able to kill her with stun/fan. She's still low health. I use Junkrat to counter her usually. His trap and bomb works well against her.

ISOM

She still only requires like one or two charged up shots from Widowmaker especially to the head and Mccree still has his stun so he still counters her well. If the other team doesn't know how to or want to counter her, that's not really a balance issue.

It's confirmed as being based on connection quality, party size and MMR. I don't think that anyone knows how MMR is calculated. There could be all sorts of voodoo in there like considerations for new accounts and rapid MMR inflation for win streaks. People report the matches suddenly getting harder at level 31 and long win or lose streaks.

-MD-

The McCree nerf didn't benefit Tracer at all and the Widow nerf just means she can survive a bodyshot rather than instantly dying.

Don't see how that'd make her overpowered.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I just remembered that they need to patch Roadhog's hook. Him being able to throw his hook through buildings to get me when he can't even see me is bs.

This isn't a game issue, it's a latency issue. Notice(if you have kill cam on) the number of times you might have dashed as a genji, jumped as a winston, or warped as a tracer last minute before dying to try and save yourself, yet on the other player's kill cam who killed you, you didn't do that so they shot you, hooked you, or blew you up. That's the real issue. On his or her screen, you weren't behind a wall, you were still in front of their Roadhog.

ISOM

This isn't a game issue, it's a latency issue. Notice(if you have kill cam on) the number of times you might have dashed as a genji, jumped as a winston, or warped as a tracer last minute before dying to try and save yourself, yet on the other player's kill cam who killed you, you didn't do that so they shot you, hooked you, or blew you up. That's the real issue. On his or her screen, you weren't behind a wall, you were still in front of their Roadhog.

No, I'm specifically talking about Roadhog's hook. On that specific play, I was on a roof top and I moved away and couldn't see him anymore and when I looked on the kill cam, he couldn't see me either. He literally threw his hook through the wall to get me and that doesn't make sense. I think his hook has a lock on feature that is sometimes a little gracious with the hitbox on the character it's hooking.

Genji, Tracer and Lucio end up getting pulled either to my side or behind me too often when I hook them with Roadhog. These are the tricker grabs and often good enemies to take out quick, but their speed seems to cause issues for the mechanic. If an enemy gets grabbed as the go around a corner, I'm not bothered if they end up in a weird positions, they probably shouldn't have been caught in the first place. However, those 3 characters can be grabbed in the wide open, no obstacles in the way and they end up either behind me or to my side if they were moving quickly before the hook.

Kaplan commented on this on the Blizzard forums recently. Apparently they're hoping to fix it so they'll end up in front of you, but it sounds like the fix may still be a ways off. It's definitely very frustrating to land a nice hook on them and be unable to follow up.

DrArchon

At level 45 I only have 5 Legendary skins. All i've been getting lately are whites and a blue.

Have they nerfed McCree yet?

Yes. They nerfed the damage of each shot of his Fan the Hammer alt-fire. He can't kill tanks as easily now. But he reloads faster to compensate.

Dr. Buni

I have 1000g and I am not sure what skin to buy. I am torn between Abominable Mei and Devil Mercy. From the characters I play the most they are the only ones I don't have good skins yet (I have Firefighter Mei but it looks hideous).

I have 1000g and I am not sure what skin to buy. I am torn between Abominable Mei and Devil Mercy. From the characters I play the most they are the only ones I don't have good skins yet (I have Firefighter Mei but it looks hideous).

just buy all the mei skins.

MUnited83

For you.
well it's like this. The guy with the bow, Hanzo I think, has a gigantic hitbox and braindead U. I got 59 kills in a match, barely knowing what I was doing. Shoot around corners, make dragon, kill 5 people every 30 seconds.

On the flip side I played many support characters and could barely make an effort. Like 15 kills with Rein? Maybe 20 with Mei? And that was trying really, really hard.

The game favors offense to a massive fault. They need to walk it back big time. Hell I had like 59 kills with the Demoman dude my very first try.

the best support is the mass murder support
mVF9jaw.jpg

LiK

Dat Widow nerf can't come soon enough for PS4. I'm at a level where Widow players have become super annoying.

I'm not bragging, obviously, I'm highlighting some major flaws. Why in the world should I be able to get like 5 achievements and nearly 60 kills just holding down the left mouse button? While I struggle with support characters? This is a super massive flaw.

because this game is not about getting kills?

also, you're lying about getting 59 elims with hanzo

Crescende

Banned
So are all these lvl 9 Hanzos and Widowmakers my team gets filled up with when playing with 3-4 friends Blizzards way to balance our MMR down or is our MMR currently just that bad to get matched with these...?
Winrate is at 56% so not that great. Our lvl is 45-60.
I would be pretty unfair cuz the burden of having total noob Hanzos with almost no game knowlege is way greater then just having stronger opponents... and of course waaaay less fun for both sides...

Cynar

McCree can still stomp tracer

abundant

She's much harder to play with a controller so it's better for us when they nerf dem body shot damage.

I was about to say the same thing. Forcing console Widow's to go for head shots instead of body shots, if they want to be effective, will be noticeable.

the best support is the mass murder support
[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/mVF9jaw.jpg[/IMG]

Symmetra is so good on Anubis.

Nullifies what can be a long walk back from spawn to the first point. Locks down alternate routes. Can alt-fire the middle arches to keep Reinhardts at bay. Slays at close range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom