• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

I played against this guy tonight...

thisguy-copyj0p7w.jpg

worst feeling is getting gold metal eliminations on lucio

feelsbadman

This is horrible mentality, especially playing as Lucio. Eliminations just means you hit a guy, and he eventually died. Lucio is really really easy to rack up eliminations cause his healing and speed boost are passive, so you can be firing you're gun the entire time. Also as playing Lucio, you're usually in the middle of the big skirmishes.

Just because you got most eliminations, doesn't mean you were the best damage dealer. And it definitely doesn't mean your team was bad.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
People playing this have fucking brain damage I swear. Was playing KOTH on Ilios and some moron picks Symmetra. I say that Symmetra isn't any good in this mode and he plays her for the entire first round and uses only her shields. Then we get to the second round and he stays on Symmetra for a few more deaths. I say "please switch or leave the game because you aren't fucking helping", and he switches to Torbjorn. On KOTH.

Fuck these people so hard.

a) you dont know everything about the game

b) hes doesnt have to play the game according to how you want it to be played

c) you dont sound pleasant to play with

People playing this have fucking brain damage I swear. Was playing KOTH on Ilios and some moron picks Symmetra. I say that Symmetra isn't any good in this mode and he plays her for the entire first round and uses only her shields. Then we get to the second round and he stays on Symmetra for a few more deaths. I say "please switch or leave the game because you aren't fucking helping", and he switches to Torbjorn. On KOTH.

Honestly I'd rather take the person trying to make Symmetra work in KOTH over the guy raging at them for not strictly adhering to the meta.

psyfi

Banned
Honestly I'd rather take the person trying to make Symmetra work in KOTH over the guy raging at them for not strictly adhering to the meta.
Not me. Play the game to win or go away. Hopefully the ranked playlists will help solve this difference in attitude a little.

Agreed. Id rather play with these brain dead morons than you. Jesus dude. Calm down.

Savitar

You remind me of all the annoying people that scream at others in game I see.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Symm is actually not half bad on most koth maps once you hold the point; during that first teamfight, all she really brings to the table is her alt fire. Her primary isn't particularly strong, and any turrets she throws down hastily are basically dead immediately on spawn. Exceptions are mostly Sanctuary and Well. So basically, if your team wins that first go 'round, you go nuts and, on spawn, make the swap.

And Torb can actually do some work on a few of 'em. Mostly Garden. Don't underestimate that altfire of his.

I wouldn't say that she brings nothing to the initial fight other than alt fire. If your team is engaged in a tight, group melee you can pounce in from the sides and just melt the other team with primary fire.

You should leave this community.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
While his attitude is wrong, the fact that sym or tor arent ideal for koth is not. Can they work? Sure, I mean technically anything can work. But again, its a team game, there are plenty of maps and modes were those characters are more suited for and where you can play them, so maybe play something that would benefit the team more for this particular map.

If you say "he can play whatever he wants" then you can also play with no healer in that case. Or no tank. And it might just work, but odds are it will be a worse game for everyone involved.

Sym can work on KOTH, especially if the team can lock the point down in that first push. Not being afraid to pop turrets while moving and not panicking from taking damage, and remembering that your photon beam is a beast are important in making that happen though. A lot of Syms I see just hope the team will provide enough distraction to place turrets and don't actually try to roast people themselves, which is a mistake.

Venfayth

If you rage on someone because of how they're playing then I hope you're confined to play with those kinds of players only. Same way in other games cheaters are forced to play with other cheaters.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Sym can work on KOTH, especially if the team can lock the point down in that first push. Not being afraid to pop turrets while moving and not panicking from taking damage, and remembering that your photon beam is a beast are important in making that happen though. A lot of Syms I see just hope the team will provide enough distraction to place turrets and don't actually try to roast people themselves, which is a mistake.

Yeah it can work if you have a strong first push to give you time to setup, so youre putting strain on the other people to "carry" you through that first push.

Also not changing when the team asks you to (lets assume for a second hw had asked politely instead of like a raging lunatic), is that not also a problem? Why should the healer play a healer then? Maybe he'll go "well ill just play whatevwr I want then fuck it". Its not a good attitude to have in a team game.

I honestly didn't think I really cared about POTGs overall but boy did I get salty at a Torb killing one guy getting POTG instead of my Symmetra quadruple kill while dead in Hanamura.

I GOT ROBBED I TELL YA

Antiwhippy

While his attitude is wrong, the fact that sym or tor arent ideal for koth is not. Can they work? Sure, I mean technically anything can work. But again, its a team game, there are plenty of maps and modes were those characters are more suited for and where you can play them, so maybe play something that would benefit the team more for this particular map.

If you say "he can play whatever he wants" then you can also play with no healer in that case. Or no tank. And it might just work, but odds are it will be a worse game for everyone involved.

By that logic every team should be Mercy, McCree, Widowmaker, Winston, Lucio, Reinhardt.

You're the reason I play with voice chat turned off.

Biltmore

Banned
I really hate winning streaks in this game, because Blizzard likes taking people who are winning and putting them with the worst players imaginable. The way they keep people at a near 50% win rate is absurd.

Yeah it can work if you have a strong first push to give you time to setup, so youre putting strain on the other people to "carry" you through that first push.

Also not changing when the team asks you to (lets assume for a second hw had asked politely instead of like a raging lunatic), is that not also a problem? Why should the healer play a healer then? Maybe he'll go "well ill just play whatevwr I want then fuck it". Its not a good attitude to have in a team game.

I only play on console so I have no idea what other people are thinking because no one uses mics lol

Generally though, it's pretty easy for me to tell whether or not my character choice is working for the map and enemy team comp or not and I have no problem changing. In KOTH I like to slug it out so I personally wouldn't use Sym, Tor, Widow, etc but it doesn't bother me if someone wants to use them.

Antiwhippy

Also don't underestimate teleport in KotH. It's no revive but it can be the difference between a contested overtime or people not being able to make it there.

DrArchon

You guys clearly didn't see this guy playing Symmetra. There were no turrets, no teleporters, just occasionally shields and attacks. If that's your gameplan then why bother playing with that character. All he did was die over and over and provide nothing. An empty slot would've been better because at least the enemy wouldn't get meter from it.

Sorry if I got some of you hot and bothered by being angry, but I'm legit tired of playing with people that have no idea how to play the game. People locking in snipers on maps that we don't need them on, not taking objectives when the enemy team isn't there, picking multiples of the same character, forcing me to play as a healer every other game because no one bothers to pick one. Some people playing this game are garbage. That's a fact and I don't care if you hate me for saying that.

Apathy

I mean he is super angry, and I would be pissed too if what he says is true and his sym ONLY put out shields for the first round. That is highly doubtful though.

Antiwhippy

You guys clearly didn't see this guy playing Symmetra. There were no turrets, no teleporters, just occasionally shields and attacks. If that's your gameplan then why bother playing with that character. All he did was die over and over and provide nothing. An empty slot would've been better because at least the enemy wouldn't get meter from it.

Sorry if I got some of you hot and bothered by being angry, but I'm legit tired of playing with people that have no idea how to play the game. People locking in snipers on maps that we don't need them on, not taking objectives when the enemy team isn't there, picking multiples of the same character, forcing me to play as a healer every other game because no one bothers to pick one. Some people playing this game are garbage. That's a fact and I don't care if you hate me for saying that.

Yeah but what you said is that she doesn't work in KotH.

That's massively different than saying that you were playing with a bad sym player. It happens. I got legit pissed at an attack torb or two. But eh. There will be people who uses live matches to feel things out, and sometimes you take the good with the bad.

Rhaknar

By that logic every team should be Mercy, McCree, Widowmaker, Winston, Lucio, Reinhardt.

By what logic? The logic that theres about 12 characters in the game that are clearly superior to the other 9, especially on certain maps? Sure? Why is that a bad thing?

D.Va is an amazing counter to some things, and please use her to counter such things, but please dont solo tank with a D.Va instead of a Rein/Roadhog/Zarya. Characters have different roles for a reason no?

For example I love Hanzo. But im not so arrogant that I will play Hanzo instead of my teammate that plays Widowmaker because a) he is a better sniper flat out and b) Widow is (still) a better character than Hanzo. Or we are on attack and dont need 2 snipers, so I will change, that is fine.

So you're pissed at a bad player, that has nothing to do with him picking Symmetra.

Rhaknar

I mean he is super angry, and I would be pissed too if what he says is true and his sym ONLY put out shields for the first round. That is highly doubtful though.

We just had a super quick loss earlier on eugaf where there was a pug sym and I saw neither turrets much less a teleporter. Ive also played games with Tors where I neither saw not heard a turret firing.

Rhaknar

Sym's gun is strong but too many Syms are afraid to get in that ass with it

The turrets are to supplement your attack and defense, not replace it.

Well in a koth setting its much harder to be just 1 on 1 where her gun shines. The gun is short range so you are basically a Zarya with 200hp and no bubble :p

DrArchon

Symmetra is awful in KOTH. The maps are so small that it takes very little time to walk back to the objective (even less if you have a good Lucio) plus it means that it's easier for speedy flankers to find your teleporter. Her turrets aren't great because even though everyone is converging on one point there's so many splash damage attacks being thrown out that you can never set them up fast enough to get the kills in before they get blown up. Symmetra needs that starting 30 seconds you get for being on the defensive in non-KOTH maps to set up turrets and cut off routes and she doesn't get that in KOTH.

So all you're left with is giving everyone 25 health (decent) and a decent short range weapon. But there are SO MANY great short range weapons on characters that don't have ults and abilities that are hampered by the mode.

Antiwhippy

By what logic? The logic that theres about 12 characters in the game that are clearly superior to the other 9, especially on certain maps? Sure? Why is that a bad thing?

D.Va is an amazing counter to some things, and please use her to counter such things, but please dont solo tank with a D.Va instead of a Rein/Roadhog/Zarya. Characters have different roles for a reason no?

For example I love Hanzo. But im not so arrogant that I will play Hanzo instead of my teammate that plays Widowmaker because a) he is a better sniper flat out and b) Widow is (still) a better character than Hanzo. Or we are on attack and dont need 2 snipers, so I will change, that is fine.

Framing I guess, because I legitly think that sym can work on KotH, and I'd rather see a game where people try different ways to play with the meta rather than stick to the community established "rules".

Like I'll switch up if things don't work out, but I'll let people play out what they want to try for awhile first before politely suggesting they try differently, but if they don't what can you do? But I'm not mad at them for trying something different. Just maybe change if you can see it doesn't work out after awhile.

Symmetra's turrets are there to:
- Have vision of the map. They get destroyed, you know enemies are coming from direction X.
- Delay/disrupt team movement by making enemies stop and take out your turrets.
- Harass a little bit.
- Slow down progress at chokepoints.
- Pick off low health people at health packs.

Since they're made of paper and don't do much damage unless you pack a few together in one place, they're honestly more of a tool for vision and slowing than raw damage.

Symmetra's beam gun and lightning ball are really great though.

Well in a koth setting its much harder to be just 1 on 1 where her gun shines. The gun is short range so you are basically a Zarya with 200hp and no bubble :p

I got her a few times during the random brawl and turned Nepal into a murder zone lol

The map with the big pit around the center and the little room off to the side? I set up a car wash and teleporter in there and for some reason the other team kept trying it

Ivan 3414

I've won quite a few games with Symmetra on KOTH, to the point that I've gotten play of the game. At some objectives her turrets are gamechangers. I'm around level 55 currently.

I ran into someone like you in Nepal. I was Symmetra and it really wasn't working out since the enemy team had a Winston. I was going to switch at my next death when some guy on my team playing Mei said "Stop playing such a shit character on this game mode, you fucking moron. You fucking suck". So, just for him, I stuck with Symmetra and spammed Hello whenever I was near him. He went off on me and the entire team and kept trying to Ice Wall me away from the objective lol.

He continued to spread salt as we gained our L. He was the only person on our team with a card. No one voted for him except for one person, and I'm pretty sure I can narrow down who it was lol. Hope to find more salty players like you out there!

Rhaknar

I've won quite a few games with Symmetra on KOTH, to the point that I've gotten play of the game. At some objectives her turrets are gamechangers. I'm around level 55 currently.

I ran into someone like you in Nepal. I was Symmetra and it really wasn't working out since they had a Winston. I was going to switch at my next death when some guy playing Mei said "Stop playing such a shit character on this game mode, you fucking moron. You fucking suck". So, just for him, I stuck with Symmetra and spammed Hello whenever I was near him. He went off on me and the entire team and kept trying to Ice Wall me away from the objective lol.

He continued to spread salt as we gained our L. He was the only person on our team with a card. No one voted for him except for one person, and I'm pretty sure I can narrow down who it was lol. Hope to find more salty players like you out there!

So to fight the asshole you... doubled down on it?

Framing I guess, because I legitly think that sym can work on KotH, and I'd rather see a game where people try different ways to play with the meta rather than stick to the community established "rules".

Like I'll switch up if things don't work out, but I'll let people play out what they want to try for awhile first before politely suggesting they try differently, but if they don't what can you do? But I'm not mad at them for trying something different. Just maybe change if you can see it doesn't work out after awhile.

But this person didnt change. Again, his attitude was shit, but some of you are acting like the poor pug (im calling the sym player a pug here to differentiate) was without fault.

Calm down dude.
Symmetra can be good on KOTH if her team is strong. Putting turrets on/around the capture point is a strong strategy and having a teleporter up is useful for team upkeep. She is not as good on Ilios, but she is amazing on 2/3 of the Nepal points.

Of course I will switch off her if she is not being effective.

Mupod

was on the world's worst 5 stack team that refused to pick supports or tanks or fight as a group, ended up just getting killed by Winstons over and over. Said fuck it, switched to S76 out of protest and somehow managed to get a bunch of medals in the last 45 seconds of the match. Team FLIPS THE FUCK OUT telling me to uninstall etc. So of course I stick around, keep playing S76, end up with gold elims/damage but they still blame me for losing (they still wouldn't play support/tank), keep spamming the chat with shit.

Then I get auto balanced to the other team. And I take out the trash. Felt good.

Also I finally joined this century, dropped FRAPS for Shadowplay and updated avidemux so it stopped desyncing my audio. After playing other games on PS4 I really missed being able to save the last few minutes of gameplay so it's nice to have that again.

Apathy

We just had a super quick loss earlier on eugaf where there was a pug sym and I saw neither turrets much less a teleporter. Ive also played games with Tors where I neither saw not heard a turret firing.

that would royally piss me off.

Sure people can argue that others can play the game how they like, but there is clearly a right and wrong way to play heroes. Not utilizing your skills is wrong, and sure you can play that way but you fuck over 5 other people that are putting in effort to win

Rhaknar

Think you might have misread; edited my post to be more clear

You were having a bad sym game and some asshole went off on you to change. You decided to not change even tho you admited it wasnt working and you WERE going to change, and proceeded to troll the guy as he trolled the team with mei and you "took the L" aka you lost.

So like I said, to fight the asshole you doubled down on the asshole...ness, nevermind the 4 other peeps in the team that had nothing to do with this? Is that not the gist of it?

jotun?

How to greatly improve any Overwatch quickplay match:

1. Press P
2. Turn off Match chat
3. Enjoy a game without any "gg ez" or other such garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom