• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Torbjorn needs to be rethought. You basically can't outgun him, making spam or a sniper effectively the only counters short of rushing him. Now he would be pretty useless if Genji could just throw pointy stars at all of his turrets, but that there's essentially no penalty and an extremely short cooldown is problematic. And his turret swivels far too quickly for the range it has, it's impossible to simply use cover and take a turret out from there without taking damage. It's a nuisance on PC, I imagine it's essentially broken on console.

He has the same problem as TF2 Engineer, where he's useless against competitive players who are good at building Uber/ Ultimates, but is way too centralizing and essential to defense in casual play.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I also have those exact 2 voicelines equipped.

Torbjorn needs to be rethought. You basically can't outgun him, making spam or a sniper effectively the only counters short of rushing him. Now he would be pretty useless if Genji could just throw pointy stars at all of his turrets, but that there's essentially no penalty and an extremely short cooldown is problematic. And his turret swivels far too quickly for the range it has, it's impossible to simply use cover and take a turret out from there without taking damage. It's a nuisance on PC, I imagine it's essentially broken on console.

He has the same problem as TF2 Engineer, where he's useless against competitive players who are good at building Uber/ Ultimates, but is way too centralizing and essential to defense in casual play.

Have a reinhardt, pop grenades and rockets at turrets, chase torb down and kill him.

Or be DVa and chase the turrets down and murder torbs all day, erryday.

Dirtbag

I love how you guys always think it's your teammates that's the problem. You get 4 gold medals and think you carried a losing team. Funny how you guys never mention the games where you get 0 gold medals and someone else carries you. Stop whining so much.

It's the same shit every day seeing you guys whine about bad teammates. Half those games you're probably the bad teammate.

I'm guessing you aren't playing on a console?

Fugu

Averaging a 10% win rate across three days. Getting a lot of medals that I shouldn't as Mercy in addition to the ones that I should.

I'm really starting to wonder if there's any point in playing.

I love how you guys always think it's your teammates that's the problem. You get 4 gold medals and think you carried a losing team. Funny how you guys never mention the games where you get 0 gold medals and someone else carries you. Stop whining so much.

It's the same shit every day seeing you guys whine about bad teammates. Half those games you're probably the bad teammate.
I get at least one gold medal every game. My teammates are the problem.

Many, if not most, of the people who play this game have no idea what they're doing. That's perfectly fine -- it's just a game -- but there's no point in pretending that that's not true.

They need to show themselves. I can't heal them through a wall and I'm not going to chase them down at Zen speed. But pop yourself into my LOS and I'll throw a heal ball your way.

LOL I misread that the first time. I actually got killed by Zenyatta pretty fast--as fast as peak and die retreating. Yeah I have shit connection, so I am fine with it. The thing about that Zenyatta in MY team was that I was behind him MELEE'ING him after I messaged him to heal me. He just ignored me and floated around without giving a fuck about his teammates; I was trying to stick close to him and Rein.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Averaging a 10% win rate across three days. Getting a lot of medals that I shouldn't as Mercy in addition to the ones that I should.

Many, if not most, of the people who play this game have no idea what they're doing. That's perfectly fine -- it's just a game -- but there's no point in pretending that that's not true.
Play Lucio in solo queue if you aren't winning.
If you want to win pick Rein on payload.

Party up is the obvious choice. Didn't have any bad games today.
b74VmLo.png

If you are playing solo q Mercy, the Mercy has a 100% right to complain.* I'd suggest raising your MMR higher by playing with someone else or playing an offensive character, then they should suck less.

If you are playing solo q Mercy they have 100% right to complain. I'd suggest raising your MMR higher by playing with someone else or playing an offensive character, then they should suck less.

Partying up is the way to go for winning games. You sometimes will get lucky in solo q; I had a good party today and we steamrolled the other team for about 4 games. But yesterday I had nothing but shit teams. Even teaming up with 2 friends, we ended up winning a good handful of games tonight.

Fugu

If you are playing solo q Mercy they have 100% right to complain. I'd suggest raising your MMR higher by playing with someone else or playing an offensive character, then they should suck less.
Can't party up, all of my friends live about 10 000 kilometers away.

Winning as Lucio isn't winning. He's an extremely boring character.

They have a right to complain when I pick a support character because if I don't our team has no support characters (and often no tanks)?

EDIT: People talking about "raising their MMR" as if they know their MMR. It's entirely opaque. Maybe you're shit. You have no idea.

Have a reinhardt, pop grenades and rockets at turrets, chase torb down and kill him.

Or be DVa and chase the turrets down and murder torbs all day, erryday.

It's not killing them that's the problem. It's that you can only really use concrete ways to do it. It centralizes the game around killing Torbjorn, and there's no reason to do it any way other than the best way. In TF2, there were a variety of very different ways to destroy turrets and counter engineers, but the class was still far from useless.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Can't party up, all of my friends live about 10 000 kilometers away.

Winning as Lucio isn't winning. He's an extremely boring character.

They have a right to complain when I pick a support character because if I don't our team has no support characters (and often no tanks)?

EDIT: People talking about "raising their MMR" as if they know their MMR. It's entirely opaque. Maybe you're shit. You have no idea.
Edited my post for clarity.
I've played 1500+ hours of high skill TF2, I know when I'm playing well, or playing vs other people that play well.

PM me your BNet ID if you are PC, US and let's play
It's not killing them that's the problem. It's that you can only really use concrete ways to do it. It centralizes the game around killing Torbjorn, and there's no reason to do it any way other than the best way. In TF2, there were a variety of very different ways to destroy turrets and counter engineers, but the class was still far from useless.
Literally anyone behind a Rein shield can kill a turret, they are a complete joke imo

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

But... torb is nearly useless because there are so many ways to counter him.

Neither Lucio nor Reinhart are insta-win, especially if the rest of the team as a whole is not functioning. Partying up is also not insta-win since you'll also be paired with parties, although it's often easier to overcome good individual players with teamwork.

Zambayoshi

It would be quite strange for you to be getting elimination, objective kills and damage gold medals as Mercy, because you should probably be using the staff for offensive and defensive assists more than you use your pistol. The only time I got gold medals for elims, objective kills and damage as Mercy was when our team rolled with 6 Mercys... Yes, I occasionally give in to the madness. It's too hard to fight against it all the time.

Blizzard

Banned
Is there a bug where Mei right click doesn't work? Clicking my mouse once sometimes works, and sometimes I have to hold it down.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Well yes, you would get at least 1 gold medal as the healer, the healing done medal :3

Apathy

jAk7G86.jpg

sure if you say so, must be the problem not the shit teamates

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Score is bad since it's ALL POINT EVER (aka time invested).
Score/min is slightly better but still dumb. jk I'm salty my sub 100 stats are gone.
Neither Lucio nor Reinhart are insta-win, especially if the rest of the team as a whole is not functioning. Partying up is also not insta-win since you'll also be paired with parties, although it's often easier to overcome good individual players with teamwork.
If their WR is <30% as Mercy (and I have a friend who is <40% on Mercy) solo queue, moving up to something like 50-60% to get better players, to then go back to Mercy sounds good to me.

The point is for the support to have better success of winning.

Fugu

It would be quite strange for you to be getting elimination, objective kills and damage gold medals as Mercy, because you should probably be using the staff for offensive and defensive assists more than you use your pistol. The only time I got gold medals for elims, objective kills and damage as Mercy was when our team rolled with 6 Mercys... Yes, I occasionally give in to the madness. It's too hard to fight against it all the time.
I've gotten elimination golds in regular games before but it's rare that it happens on a team that isn't total garbage. Objective kills is usually a crapshoot (especially on defense) due to the way they work but it's not at all unusual for Mercy to get it. I've only gotten a damage gold once.

Objective time gold, however, I get very often and I get healing gold every game unless our team has a Lucio.

As for using the staff, the math on offensive assisting makes it sometimes not better than simply shooting at things yourself. Mercy also builds ult faster by directly getting kills and since meter gain is not zero sum it is better for everyone if Mercy is doing things that are optimal for meter. In addition, a lot of (pub) Mercies die because instead of defending themselves, they try to get the attention of their teammates by assisting them. I tend to not do this because I can aim.

Edited my post for clarity.
I've played 1500+ hours of high skill TF2, I know when I'm playing well, or playing vs other people that play well.

PM me your BNet ID if you are PC, US and let's play

Literally anyone behind a Rein shield can kill a turret, they are a complete joke imo
I've been playing Quake (Live) at a high level for the past five years or so. This isn't my first rodeo and I'd say I'm at least better than the average person at evaluating the choices of my teammates. In team-based games there is only so much that one player can do and I'm doing it. My teammates are categorically not pulling their weight and it's an issue that the game keeps matching me up with these chucklefucks because it's taking all of the fun out of the game for me.

I'm in Asia.

Well yes, you would get at least 1 gold medal as the healer, the healing done medal :3
His metric, not mine

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've been playing Quake (Live) at a high level for the past five years or so. This isn't my first rodeo and I'd say I'm at least better than the average person at evaluating the choices of my teammates. In team-based games there is only so much that one player can do and I'm doing it. My teammates are categorically not pulling their weight and it's an issue that the game keeps matching me up with these chucklefucks because it's taking all of the fun out of the game for me.

I'm in Asia.
If it wasn't clear, I've been agreeing with you. People who can't pull their weight will make solo Mercy a horrible experience. Unfortunately if there's no support, and you don't like Lucio... aside from stacking 76's you usually need a healer.

jAk7G86.jpg

sure if you say so, must be the problem not the shit teamates

I am on the same boat. Currently, I am looking for groups and waiting for Ranked. I don't care about defeats anymore; I am fine with losing close, competitive matches. Carrying isn't really viable in this game even on lower levels; I've seen good twitch streamers lose matches even though they are doing really well with their characters.

I was holding the objective with Reinhardt and some annoying soldier-76 was trying hard to take me down from an alternative route that my team keeps ignoring. I had a
Hanzo
behind me that was trying to take that Soldier down and he shot like 12 arrows (left clicks) and missed the side-strafing solider. Note that I was watching two angles and defending at the same time from their whole team trying to get in and that damn soldier.

This isn't really the first instance. I remember telling my team to take down Bastion/Torrets when I was a tank/support. Shit I remember taking a couple of torrets and bastions with Lucio.

The only time I really felt like I suck and I held my team back was when I used McCree for the first few times. I got the hang of his left clicks but I am still not good with him in general; I am good at taking people from range with left clicks (picking healers, tanks and Bastion out). I suck with him because I am not good at FTH and the stun thing (I get destroyed by reapers and soldiers).

Fugu

If it wasn't clear, I've been agreeing with you. People who can't pull their weight will make solo Mercy a horrible experience. Unfortunately if there's no support, and you don't like Lucio... aside from stacking 76's you usually need a healer.
I'm used to dragging players kicking and screaming to the objective or healing people through their stupid endeavours while being the only player firing at turrets or the Bastion that's about to mow everyone down; I'd even say I'm okay with it because I'm more concerned with improving my own skill at the game than I am with stats.

But I'm now losing almost every single game and it seems that the most significant factor is that I'm deciding to queue solo. It doesn't even matter how much I contribute as the loss is preordained most of the time. In a set of 20 games yesterday, I won 2. In one of the games that I lost, I'd done 6 000 damage and gotten 12 000 healing.

nelchaar

This game man... It triggers me so bad and makes me lose my shit.. Why do I play team games, why. I think it's time to step away.. 24hrs of game time, not bad.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This game man... It triggers me so bad and makes me lose my shit.. Why do I play team games, why. I think it's time to step away.. 24hrs of game time, not bad.

play with friends, makes it slightly bearable if you are getting reamed.

XenoRaven

I can't handle these team comps.

Again, PSA for all the stupid fucking idiots out there. In-game team comp suggestions are not the end-all be-all. But if your stupid offensive Torb/Widow/Hanzo comp can't get the Payload to the first checkpoint, it's time to fucking change and do what the game suggests.

Rizzi

The disappointment when you ult an entire team as Zarya and nobody tries to kill the now incredibly easy to kill enemies.
;_;

Bittercup

I made my team angry as Mei. Accidentally blocked someone from my own team who just activated an ultimate at the same time with an ice wall. And then I got some of our team killed by trapping them into Hanzo's ultimate. I just wanted to keep the enemies away from us!
I'm helping!
Never made better use of the I'm sorry voice line :(

And a nice video about some cool jumps and traversal around the maps I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1cpWIVyBEA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom