• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugenjin

ilt5gBE.jpg

I checked both their profiles and who would've thought they only ever played Genji / Hanzo. I get it they're both cool Ninjas and shit but people who play only a single hero are insufferable.

Dragner

Wow another 2 back to back legendary skins. Karma is returning me years of terrible mtg and heartstone pack opening I suppose.

This time I got Reinhardt stone skin and Lucio golden frog one. Probably the 2 I like the most from both characters.

I don't understand the insult "tryhard". My team gets this thrown at it every so often when we win hard. As in stomping the enemy team like ants hard. Should I let myself get killed once in a while so they feel better?

They are assuming that you are in a full voice comm team and are using your best competitive strategies even if they are no fun "cancer" strategies. Other people might be in a 6 man but are not using comms and are just playing whatever they feel like. Basically accusing you of treating a kick around in the park like the FIFA world cup finals.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I quietly take the game seriously. I never go at people unless they start in the chat window. If people choose an 'incorrect' character for the map / mode then so what? It can be very annoying but I am not going to be vocal in the chat window about it. I just play the match and finish and then find a new match.

I only go at people when they are being cocks in the chat window; I cannot stand big-headed randoms who blame everyone else but never look closer to home. Everyone has a bad day, might be new, just not know what are the ideal characters to choose in a given situation. I am not an anorak: I do not know the maps inside-and-out, the best places to do this or do that. I give my bloody all, though, and contribute a fair amount to each map so that will do for me.

Non objective play is the biggest annoyance as I often wonder if players are afraid of dying. The other day we had the payload near a checkpoint and it then took two minutes to move it about 1 inch because everyone started to abandon the damn thing. Trying to move it on your own against the other team of 6 is not fun.

My sentiments exactly, except on PS4.

The entire team can play Widowmaker on attack if they want. Just jump on the objective when you need to, that's all I ask.

Zomba13

I don't understand the insult "tryhard". My team gets this thrown at it every so often when we win hard. As in stomping the enemy team like ants hard. Should I let myself get killed once in a while so they feel better?

Same. It's just a useless "insult". Oh we only won because we were "tryharding" and you weren't? Well, maybe you should try and win next time and not whine like a baby because you lost a stupid videogame.

nOoblet16

ilt5gBE.jpg

I checked both their profiles and who would've thought they only ever played Genji / Hanzo. I get it they're both cool Ninjas and shit but people who play only a single hero are insufferable.
Well it depends on how the play.

My most played character, Genji - 20 hours
2nd most , Reaper - 7 hours
3rd most, Roadhog - 5 hours

Basically if I am attacking, then 95% of the time I will play Genji, if I am defending then my choices are spread between 5-6 other heroes. Ofcourse I change when necessary but more often than I don't have to since being my best character I am the most effective as him.

Dragner

I would love if my teams tryharded a bit. Endless loses with people too coward to jump into the zone when time is running out. Even if Im yelling them that I have res up. Yeah, nice job soldier killing that tracer in the middle of the map...that was super useful.

kromeo

I won't really say anything to the team even if they are being useless, there's just no point. I'll secretly start to get a bit pissed off if the same person kills me repeatedly and I did rage quit once when the same Roadhog hooked me about 10 times in a row but I'm calm 99% of the time

I only get mad when I do poorly myself. I'm really proudful in that way. It doesn't really bother me if my teammates are terrible or if we lost -- as long as I did good myself, I'm happy. But when I start underperforming and feel like I myself am the weak link; that's when I sometimes get upset with myself. I know I messed up if I didn't get a single gold medal or card at the end (except sometimes when I play tank, as tanks don't really have their own category in medals, but often do get objective time).

peakish

Damn it, I feel like a moron again. I've been steadily lowering my sensitivity to improve my aiming in the game and was at the practice range to train my tracking. I noticed that something felt very off when I was tracking something close.

Turns out I had some disgusting mouse acceleration enabled in windows. Probably never noticed it since you're making slower movements with higher sens.

I've been off competitive FPS's for way too long.

I only get mad when I do poorly myself. I'm really proudful in that way. It doesn't really bother me if my teammates are terrible or if we lost -- as long as I did good myself, I'm happy. But when I start underperforming and feel like I myself am the weak link; that's when I sometimes get upset with myself. I know I messed up if I didn't get a single gold medal or card at the end (except sometimes when I play tank, as tanks don't really have their own category in medals, but often do get objective time).
Yeah, this is me. Sure it annoys me when I see two teammates not jumping on the point in overtime but if I played well and had fun I don't care too much about a quick play defeat. But I hate feeling like the weakest link, dragging good players down.

I never once rage quit in this game. If we're getting our beaten badly I'm still gonna want the XP points in the end instead of repeatedly backing out and searching for competent teams. I'm so numb to losses that I predict them a minute into a match. lol

Let's talk team compositions, for pub play.

The best mix imo is still 2 tank, 2 support, 2 def/off.

I'll start off talking about tanks, maybe talk about support and def/off in another post.

Tanks:
Tanks create space. They hold the front lines so your damage have room to maneuver about. They do this by covering essential choke points, disruption, or downright tanking damage. They also punish teams for breaching their space.

Why are 2 tanks important? I can't say precisely why. But you're more resilient overall as a team, and when a tank dies you still have someone to help create that space you desperately need. You're also much more difficult to hard counter, because the tanks can make up for the weaknesses of each other. The idea that a tank can't have high damage is false. Surely they aren't the highest on the DPS chart but the damage they contribute can matter a great deal. So picking up a second tank doesn't mean you're not going to be able to kill people. Well played tanks can be highly contributive to eliminations and damage. Also keep in mind that tanks dying is a bigger deal than damage or healing at times. They generally take way longer to get back to the field and even when a support dies you can still re-up by health packs. So having what could amount to a backup can prevent the team from losing from a snowball effect (small seemingly inconsequential death rolls into a big win).

Just based on my hundreds of games in CBT and now hundreds of games in live, I feel like double tanks is a very strong starting point for a pub to succeed. It can be adjusted throughout the game as needed, but especially for that very first push I feel a lot more confident in my team's success when I have 2 tanks on my side. And I know it's gonna be rough when my team doesn't and my opponent's team does.

Lets get this out of the way. D.VA on defense as a solo tank. Is shit. Roadhog as on offense as a solo tank, also sucks. Those are my two biggest pet peeves for tanks. Hell, Zarya as a solo defense tank... is pretty bad too. Winston and D.VA are not great solo tanks.

Roadhog without reinhardt or zarya on offense is terrible. You're just a huge target to feed the opponent ults. Maybe he is okay with winston, but I haven't seen it enough to comment, but likely only good against certain compositions. As for defense... I think Roadhog can work as a solo tank, but as a solo tank you're likely to get countered if you succeed on a wave or two. And then by the time you get back the point is captured or the payload has moved on etc..
D.VA on defense just doesn't bring that much to the table, although I've seen it work sorta like winston but frankly winston just might be better anyway.

My personal favorites combinations are... zarya + any tank. Barrier is just that good. And Zarya works okay against most tanks, so as long as your other tank is not being countered hard, it's probably a pretty decent pairing, or at least workable.

Reinhardt + roadhog. Very strong against a solo reinhardt or just any reinhardt in general. Just shoot shield til drop, hook, both whack = dead reinhardt. Stops your roadhog from being free ults for your opponent team, or easy headshots for widows etc..

Double winston. Pretty classic but people will just hard counter this with reapers and/or roadhogs, so pretty risky but also pretty devastating if your opponent team can't deal with it. This works simpy due to sheer damage output of 2 winstons, plus having 2 bubbles at your disposal, and their high mobility to take advantage of a momentary weakness, and then ult to jump from near death to 1k health.

Banzai

They are assuming that you are in a full voice comm team and are using your best competitive strategies even if they are no fun "cancer" strategies. Other people might be in a 6 man but are not using comms and are just playing whatever they feel like. Basically accusing you of treating a kick around in the park like the FIFA world cup finals.

I guess if we were 6 man groups on comms with recognized competetive 2-2-2 comps I could understand. But it's always just regular solo quick play, everyone playing what they want. I don't even know 5 other people that play the game.

I never once rage quit in this game. If we're getting our beaten badly I'm still gonna want the XP points in the end instead of repeatedly backing out and searching for competent teams. I'm so numb to losses that I predict them a minute into a match. lol

Same here. See the match to the bitter end

Mugenjin

Well it depends on how the play.

My most played character, Genji - 20 hours
2nd most , Reaper - 7 hours
3rd most, Roadhog - 5 hours

Basically if I am attacking, then 95% of the time I will play Genji, if I am defending then my choices are spread between 5-6 other heroes. Ofcourse I change when necessary but more often than I don't have to since being my best character I am the most effective as him.

Nothing wrong with that if you change when necessary. It's just irritating if someone literally only plays Genji for 50+ hours and is barely below 50% winrate because they don't know how the other heroes work.

Same here. See the match to the bitter end

I've done one rage quit but it was more out of disgust for myself if I am being honest. I just needed to get up and have a walk around to re-calibrate my faculties; a few minutes away can work wonders.

I often have an OW Twitch stream on when doing work and it boggles my mind how they can sit there for hour-upon-hour playing. It is like watching a descent into madness.

Boogdud

I think they're using the term incorrectly. I always considered a "tryhard" someone that was really not very good at the game but throws around commands like they're a special forces operator and yells at everyone on their team for being terrible.

Also, I need to start playing again. I've been away for about 3 weeks. I chopped the end of my ring finger off and had to have it sewn back on. It's healed enough I can probably use a mouse well enough to aim again ;) Based on my experience, I'm suggesting a new character that uses a hedge trimmer as a weapon, they are formidable weapons, believe me.

Son Of D

Got my first hate mail today on PS4. A Reaper player who kept teleporting into the point on Nepal next to the hole. So I as Lucio alt-fire and push him off. Repeat this about 4 more times.

kromeo

Got my first hate mail today on PS4. A Reaper player who kept teleporting into the point on Nepal next to the hole. So I as Lucio alt-fire and push him off. Repeat this about 4 more times.

I love that level with Lucio, you can wait in the side tunnel on the indoor part and keep pushing people over the edge as they run down the steps

cHinzo

I think they're using the term incorrectly. I always considered a "tryhard" someone that was really not very good at the game but throws around commands like they're a special forces operator and yells at everyone on their team for being terrible.

Also, I need to start playing again. I've been away for about 3 weeks. I chopped the end of my ring finger off and had to have it sewn back on. It's healed enough I can probably use a mouse well enough to aim again ;) Based on my experience, I'm suggesting a new character that uses a hedge trimmer as a weapon, they are formidable weapons, believe me.
Always thought tryharding means playing super serious.

Yam's

people who play only a single hero are insufferable.

My friends and myself always put this kind of players into our avoid list. I don't care whether they're good or not with their "main", if they cannot adapt themselves to enemy comp, I don't wanna play with them.

Dr. Buni

I am not even this kind of player who only plays one hero, before someone says anyfin, but I think people like you are the insufferable ones. So fucking obnoxious, let people play what they want.
My friends and myself always put this kind of players into our avoid list. I don't care whether they're good or not with their "main", if they cannot adapt themselves to enemy comp, I don't wanna play with them.
Pathetic.

cuilan

ilt5gBE.jpg

Yeah, I can't stand people like that either. Like this one for example, probably the worst offender yet: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=207158981&postcount=6712

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I haven't played this since the beta.

Have it downloading now, did decent at the beta, looking forward to see how wrecked I get now.

Playing on PS4.

Honestly, I could play Mercy all the time but sadly other people pick healing supports too so I have to play something else.

And it is a true testament to how bad your team is when you have over 13k healing in the match, once even get a full team resurrection with the enemy team having neither a Lucio or Zenyatta or Mercy... and your team still gets wiped.

Zarya has become my most feared hero. I see her a lot and the people using her are mostly good. Difficult to kill and good at protecting allies. They quickly become huge damage dealers as well. I hold fire pretty well when I see the shield but you can't expect 6 players to be disciplined. A single good Zarya is able to will her team to victory.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah, I can't stand people like that either. Like this one for example, probably the worst offender yet: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=207158981&postcount=6712

Not sure if I should congratulate or pity you for playing 100 hours of Overwatch with a single character. And I'm not talking about the whole "you're hurting your team" here.

You're only playing a portion of the game by doing so.

Can't imagine myself doing the same with one of my favorite character, Junkrat. I'd be bored out of my mind after a few hours of not trying the 20 other options.

kromeo

Zarya has become my most feared hero. I see her a lot and the people using her are mostly good. Difficult to kill and good at protecting allies. They quickly become huge damage dealers as well. I hold fire pretty well when I see the shield but you can't expect 6 players to be disciplined. A single good Zarya is able to will her team to victory.

She's like Winston to me, I get wrecked by them on the other team but when I try playing them I struggle to stay alive for more than 2 seconds

in fact

BfhMRjf.png

lol :(

She's definitely my favorite tank! As the ability to dish out a huge amount of burst damage if played right. She also has the best ult in the game, if your teammates can take advantage of it.

She's like Winston to me, I get wrecked by them on the other team but when I try playing them I struggle to stay alive for more than 2 seconds

Ain't that the truth.
I swear when you face a good Zarya it's like "these shields last forever!"
Then when I play as her it feels like I blinked and missed my shield phase.

A great Zarya who successfully saves allies from death by perfectly timed shields makes me weep.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Zarya is amazing. Sometimes I don't get many eliminations when I play her, but constantly saving teammates, tanking damage myself, using her ult to blow out a team, and getting to maximum charge + zoning out the defense by hurling giant orbs of death in the general area we're trying to get to is the best.

So fun.

PatjuhR

I don't know about the best or most effictive tank, but I can tell you all that Roadhog is the most fun. And I get pretty good results with him.

Nyx

For the first time actually I heard some guy calling our team ''idiots'' and stuff like ''go play Call of Duty'' all game long... (on PS4)

He was right (2 Mei's and a Bastion on attack) but still, STFU man haha.

Mutombo

My sentiments exactly, except on PS4.

The entire team can play Widowmaker on attack if they want. Just jump on the objective when you need to, that's all I ask.

I've had so much fun, without any communications at all, but people choosing the right (or most fun characters, like: all winston and two lucios, etc) with some teams on PS4. Teams where you want to add every player as a friend afterward and do a hey ho lets go yell at the end or at the front of each math. And I remeind you, ZERO communication.

I've had matches where I was trying hard not to become salty, because I hate salty players, but after a while there's just goofing around with tactics but still trying to win, and there's plain old bad choice making and egotistical ways of playing, and getting your butts kicked and not changing characters.

It can go both ways. I don't understand why I never meet anyone on chat on PS4. No one is ever on comms. I doubt this will change when ranked starts.

I'm not really feeling the Widowmaker nerf when I'm doing the usual sniping, except that Zenyatta no longer melts when I look at him... but it's definitely noticeable when I try to clutch the objective. I used to be able to hold / delay off a few enemies with automatic fire and quick-sniping around cover but that's no longer as glorious as it used to be.

Ayumi

Do you guys always play with friends you know? Or do you ever ask in the chat if anyone wanna group up for 20% extra EXP?

Ain't that the truth.
I swear when you face a good Zarya it's like "these shields last forever!"
Then when I play as her it feels like I blinked and missed my shield phase.

A great Zarya who successfully saves allies from death by perfectly timed shields makes me weep.

This, so much.

Occasionally, I'll have a good game with her. But I never feel like because I finally "get" her. It's just, that was a good game. Next time I'll suck so badly I won't play her for a dozen rounds.

Also, if anyone has some Genji tips on console, I'm all ears. I'm either on killstreak fire or I'm running back from spawn all game double jumping merrily.

Count me among those who wishes he knew how other players play Zarya so well. So many times I've seen enemy Zarya's running around with full charge, and meanwhile every time I play her I'm lucky to get up to 50% before somebody seems to tear through my shields and send me right back to 0 and the spawn room. I should probably practice with her more, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom