• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

I am pretty terrible with Zarya's Grav Bomb, Junkrat's Rip-Tire, and Hanzo's Dragons. I constantly find myself being wrecked by these same three ultimates, but rarely do ever get more than a double kill when using them myself. I know, I need to get good, but I am having a hard time understanding why I fail so often with AoE ults that, in theory, should be easier to get kills with. I even always try to l-shift with Hanzo or wait on a Widowmaker ult before firing these bad boys off. So are there any resources you guys would recommend to help me step up my skill with these AoE ultimates?

Using Ults is a matter of positioning and timing. Players are good at avoiding them so you need to flank or try to use it when the enemy is busy fighting your team. Gotta be sneaky and also you can sometimes try using it with another Ult so while the enemy team is avoiding one, you can use the other one to attack them while they're distracted.

There is absolutely no need for that. If you are unable to escape by flying to team mates it's because you've positioned yourself poorly. Killing a decent Mercy isn't easy as is. It's my most played hero and never have I felt like I didn't have a fair chance of escaping or avoiding the flank.

Not gonna lie, keeping track of teammates as Mercy is a pain in the ass. Maybe I'm just not the pure healer type.

DrArchon

On the topic of Mercy, I have a problem when it comes to her ult. Not a problem with the ult itself of course, rather I have problems using it well. I'm always concerned as to whether or not I'm using it well. I flip-flop between thinking that I'm not using it liberally enough and thinking that I should be saving it for those key moments when I can undo all the damage that an enemy ult or push did. Using it right after the enemy gets a triple kill is really satisfying and helpful, but I can't predict that those are going to happen all that much and I feel like I'm not helping when I'm just sitting on a full meter.

Any tips? For those Mercy players, do you like to save up your ult or do you spend it when you got it?

abundant

Last night I had one of the coolest moments while playing as Reinhardt. A Roadhog hooked me, but instead of getting the easy kill, I stunned him with Earthshatter and took him out with my Charge.

Not gonna lie, keeping track of teammates as Mercy is a pain in the ass. Maybe I'm just not the pure healer type.

Nah, I can relate and I'm definitely someone who loves playing supports. In pubs especially you always have those lonewolf Genjis, Hanzos and Widowmakers who disappear the moment they're out of the spawn door and never are seen again.

Some characters obviously are meant to be flanking or coming in on the enemy from the back, but it's especially infuriating if they do that, fail, and don't bother helping with the objective either.

A Widowmaker in a match I was playing yesterday always came down from her snipe spot to push the payload if nobody or just one person was there. Super commendable. But it was just her, me (as Lucio) and D.Va. The other 3 vanished lol.

Last night I had one of the coolest moments while playing as Reinhardt. A Roadhog hooked me, but instead of getting the easy kill, I stunned him with Earthshatter and took him out with my Charge.

I had a similar situation on King's Row lol. Roadhog came in from the side, tried to flank us, so I walked in where he was and he was just in the process of healing. I charged him, bopped him one more time to kill him and apparently someone else was in that room too (probably a Tracer or Hanzo), which I also killed. Was hilariously great.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I wish Mercy had something like a stun to escape.

I wish that zenyatta had an escape mechanism to be honest. I was thinking like a rune he can place in a safe spot and recall to it every like 12 seconds or something.

Right now as zen if someone spots you and wants to take you out your only options are to use your ult on your self, hope you headshot them first, hope someone helps you or just die.

It is double frustrating since your standard play had you hanging back but to use your ult you need to expose your self and become a primary targetn with no form of escape.

Actual

There is absolutely no need for that. If you are unable to escape by flying to team mates it's because you've positioned yourself poorly. Killing a decent Mercy isn't easy as is. It's my most played hero and never have I felt like I didn't have a fair chance of escaping or avoiding the flank.

Don't forget your pistol too if you're really in trouble. I've taken out McCree, Genji, Tracer, Zenyatta, Pharah, Widow and even a few wounded Reapers with it. You need headshots and you need to move quickly, but it's still strong enough to take out someone in many cases.

Last night, I had a play of the game as Mercy where I shot a Reaper just enough for him to run away, giving me enough time to safely resurrect 3 teammates.

LiK

I wish that zenyatta had an escape mechanism to be honest. I was thinking like a rune he can place in a safe spot and recall to it every like 12 seconds or something.

Right now as zen if someone spots you and wants to take you out your only options are to use your ult on your self, hope you headshot them first, hope someone helps you or just die.

It is double frustrating since your standard play had you hanging back but to use your ult you need to expose your self and become a primary targetn with no form of escape.

Yea, Zen should have an ability where he can do a lil blink teleport. He's so vulnerable especially after using his Ult where he needs to be front and center. I guess that's the risk of using it.

Yam's

On the topic of Mercy, I have a problem when it comes to her ult. Not a problem with the ult itself of course, rather I have problems using it well. I'm always concerned as to whether or not I'm using it well. I flip-flop between thinking that I'm not using it liberally enough and thinking that I should be saving it for those key moments when I can undo all the damage that an enemy ult or push did. Using it right after the enemy gets a triple kill is really satisfying and helpful, but I can't predict that those are going to happen all that much and I feel like I'm not helping when I'm just sitting on a full meter.

Any tips? For those Mercy players, do you like to save up your ult or do you spend it when you got it?

I usually try to keep it for at least 2 members, unless 1 key member dies (like a tank who was holding our line). If the enemy team hasn't used their ult in a while I hold on to it while keeping myself outta danger, so I can reverse their ult. If I've already seen the most dangerous ult being used, I'll use it quite freely as I know I can fully charge it again quickly.

Depends on the situation. If the tank goes down, I immediately rez them, because they're invaluable to hold an objective.

In teamfights I try to keep an eye on health bars. If there's several people who are about to die, I wait for that to happen and then rez all of them. If that isn't the case, it depends on who is dead. Characters who are invaluable in teamfights (i.e. tanks, other supports or DPS like McSkill) I will rez, but if it's a Hanzo or a Torbjorn, I usually don't bother.

Yeah that's my problem with Zenyatta's kit. It doesn't synergize well at all.

abundant

I had a similar situation on King's Row lol. Roadhog came in from the side, tried to flank us, so I walked in where he was and he was just in the process of healing. I charged him, bopped him one more time to kill him and apparently someone else was in that room too (probably a Tracer or Hanzo), which I also killed. Was hilariously great.

The best is when you can time your Charge to take out Mei while she is coming out of Cryo-Freeze.

DrArchon

It's crazy that Zenyatta has the least amount of health of any of the healers and also has the least amount of mobility. You can't sit in the back when the enemy has decent flankers, but you clearly can't sit up front so you basically have to glue yourself to Reinhardt's backside and hope he doesn't die.

Zenyatta should be able to float like Mercy can. Just a little glide. It wouldn't be much, but you could cross gaps that other people couldn't.

Zen can goddamn float, why can't he jump higher than other people and why does he still get trapped by Junkrat's traps when he doesn't have feet.

kubricks

Just now I fan/roll/fan and killed a non full health Reinhart while defending a corridor, then when I try to disengage a blue ice wall suddenly block my only escape route which thereby ending my 15 kill streak.

THANKS FOR THAT MEI. :/

LiK

Just now I fan/roll/fan and killed a non full health Reinhart while defending a corridor, then when I try to disengage a blue ice wall suddenly block my only escape route which thereby ending my 15 kill streak.

Bad Mei players are such a hindrance. I've had Meis ruin my ability to attack by erecting walls at the worst times. Fuck off with that shit.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Started using Winston, having a blast. Its nice being able to lock out tracers/reinhardts/lucios, which people on my team always seem to be incapable of killing. I feel ashamed it took me this long to see his greatness.

kyle-777-

More like Reapers and Mei since they can't be 1RKO'd by him anymore.

Both of them CAN still be killed by FB + FtH though.

I don't think the nerfs were bad for McCree he is still really good and probably will still be picked a lot.
But Reaper will see a lot of more play, because he now don't die to 4 FtH shots and is way more reliable to kill tanks than McCree.

BigDug13

That would be cool actually. But resets everytime you die so you can't abuse it to get back quicker like a Symmetra teleport. I mean he already looks like he's doing a "yoga teleport" Dhalsim animation in general.

Count me among those who wishes he knew how other players play Zarya so well. So many times I've seen enemy Zarya's running around with full charge, and meanwhile every time I play her I'm lucky to get up to 50% before somebody seems to tear through my shields and send me right back to 0 and the spawn room. I should probably practice with her more, I suppose.

The main tip I would say is to use barrier and run into enemy attacks. The hitbox with barrier is pretty big so it's easy to do. If you take 200 damage, you're 50% charge. Sometimes you gotta bait the enemy into shooting at you first.

The main tip for using barriers on others is a lot more subtle. Knowing when they are already under fire works really well. Half of it is hoping your teammates know how to use barrier to full advantage. If they are just peaking they probably won't get any damage taken. I prefer using it on the second tank (assuming you have a good composition) and those are usually gonna get me to 100 charge very easy.

arimanius

I've had Mei players on my team put up an ice wall right in front of my death from above, as I was charging in with Reinhart, and in front of my turret. I can't stand bad Mei players.

I do find her really fun to play tho

Never thought id say this so soon but... fuck i'm getting burned out. I need some more maps or characters or something. The pull just isnt near what it was pre-launch/launch :'(

chogidogs

Just got white, white, blue, white for the 5th time in a row. It's hard to get excited with these chest being how slow you get them, me currently at 24.

I am pretty terrible with Zarya's Grav Bomb, Junkrat's Rip-Tire, and Hanzo's Dragons. I constantly find myself being wrecked by these same three ultimates, but rarely do ever get more than a double kill when using them myself. I know, I need to get good, but I am having a hard time understanding why I fail so often with AoE ults that, in theory, should be easier to get kills with. I even always try to l-shift with Hanzo or wait on a Widowmaker ult before firing these bad boys off. So are there any resources you guys would recommend to help me step up my skill with these AoE ultimates?

I can get the grav bomb to hit 3-6 people constantly but I feel that I never have any follow up damage. I can be at a high number on my sheild absorb but I feel like I do 0 damage with it, grav well disappears and then I'm dead facing everyone who got grabbed by it

I got 3 legendary skins in my last 10 I think. And in addition to that I got a handful of epics. Git good
highfive.gif

Auctopus

I'm not bothered by loot crates, really. I like the game too much. But what I find more frustrating than the low-rarity drops is the sheer amount of duplicates. I'm Level 26 now and I swear I get a duplicate nearly every other crate.

Never thought id say this so soon but... fuck i'm getting burned out. I need some more maps or characters or something. The pull just isnt near what it was pre-launch/launch :'(

I had a minor burnout last night when I played a bunch of pub games where my team just had no idea what they were doing. Temple of Anubis Defense - braindead easy to defend - my team chooses 76, McCree, Tracer, Reaper, Widowmaker. What am I supposed to do with that? We proceed to get stomped easily. There were a few more matches like that and I just gave up trying for the night.

I'm fine with people playing for fun, but it's frustrating when it feels like my team isn't even trying for good team composition. I think once I hit level 50 I'm going to stop with all random games and just play with GAF groups, just for my own sanity and to make sure I don't burn out in frustration.

vareon

Had a trashy POTG with Torbjorn and his turret which was never destroyed from the beginning. Feels bad.

Tried Symmetra in Hanamura Defense A too to great success. I keep forgetting she had two shots though.

Lost for a few maps, then changed to my Mercy comfort zone for victory before I hit the bed. I really need to learn other heroes, lol. When it's non-payload Attack and Pharah + Lucio/Mercy is taken I don't know who to play.

ElyrionX

I am seeing a lot of Zenyattas in my games today.

I picked him a few times too. Jesus christ, his damage output is absolutely massive.

rSpooky

I almost exclusively play Mercy, it happened because most teams had no healers and now I just love the character and try to get better every time I play. Yam's info is pretty spot on . For me it also depends on the game type, time in the game, and where on the map ,attacking or defense etc. If the team is close to the spawn point I tend to NOT use my alt unless it is important to the balance of the battle at that point. Unless the whole team goes down they an come back quickly enough. As yam's said in case of a tank holding the line it would be a bit different. I also agree that the best time is after the other team uses a bunch of their ULTs because usually they tend to be done fairly close together. this gives you the best bang for your buck. Off course I have head plenty of times where I rez some one and then they get hit straight with an enemies ult. Listen and keep eye on the battlefield to make the best balanced decision.
Knowing if your allies have ults ready are helpful too because you could revive them so they can set them off in the middle of the mayhem

There is also the problem off course that you see your team go down, how long do you wait ... pop too soon and it is a waste because the one team member will be all alone after you and the rest of the team is dead(again) wait too long and you get taken out before you can revive anyone.
I like it when my team is spread out a bit but stays in line of sight so I can zip between them with heals and buffs. When needed I pull out the pistol and punish those cocky enough to come too close to me .(does not always work ;) ) and try to time the ult's as good as I can.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I thought I've had a fairly good run so far with fair matchups.

Guess today is the day overwatch decides to fuck me over.

Earlier in the game I use it sooner to prevent a snowball. In fact, the more confident I am in my team's ability to hold the sooner I'll use it to prevent a snowball effect where a single death can lead to a wipe. But when things are real close to the wire, I go for maximum impact, because the biggest impact will be necessary to land that win.

And I just keep in mind that my opponents have ults. You can prevent a snowball for a moment but if someone just dies right away you've only delayed the inevitable.

I feel like I die again almost immediately after getting rezzed about 75% of the time. Great - we still have to walk back, we wasted Mercy's ult, and we charged up more of theirs. Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom