• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyun Sai

Great read from competitive reddit on how Solo Q is a better way to learn things than we think.

Heres how I think of it coming from csgo. Obviously like you've said it will be hard to judge individual skill because people will stack against soloquers and have a large advantage as a result.

In that game I probably played 80% solo and 20% full party. It seems to me like you actually improve more quickly then people who stack 24/7. Your going to have to deal with scenarios where you need to hard carry more often, and be forced to rise to the occasion if you are capable. This should apply to overwatch aswell. Your individual skill will need to be on point to hard carry the bad teammates you will inevitably get. While the full stack might lack in individual skill and still win, so they wont be "forced" to improve individually as a result.

When you do eventually join a team you'll have those benefits of being a strong individual player. It probably varies from person to person but imo that individual skill is harder to develop then the communication skills you need to function within a team. At the end of the day its a shooter, strategy plays a role but if you are significantly better at clicking heads than your opponents, the impact is large.

Actually improving is all you should worry about dont concern yourself with what rank the game says you are. If you want to be as good as the best your going to have to be much better the top ranked players that queue on blizzards servers anyway.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...proving_while_solo_vs_improving_with_a_group/

Zemm

And a Widow nerf comparison :

Like he said in the video, the fact that Tracer and Zen got tiny head hitbox makes it real nice for them.

I have to admit when the nerf will be on console, Torbjorn Turrets will be harder to destroy, making the Torb staking even worse lol.

Good image, really shows that the widow nerfs are minor, she almost feels the same whereas you can really feel the difference with McCree.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
The last time I played I did with Zarya too, started to like her a lot.

Can't get the hang of Winston though, I feel like this gif when I activate Primal Rage:

giphy.gif

Seems like you've gotten the hang of it perfectly.

I have to say I generally prefer solo queue or with at most 2 others to a full group, even with the lack of communication. It motivates to to be more strategic and observant

Skittles

You know you're doing a good job with mei when someone wants to bash your character's head in. Every time someone gets mad I just say "Your salt can't melt this ice"

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Man, those games as Roadhog when your hook is just getting everything. That hero is always so fun to play.

So i played a tiny bit with him today (remember I said I hate him)... yo landing those hooks is fun :eek:

I cant kill anyone after tho, how do roadhogs always kill me? Headshots?

Called me out for what, not dying with the rest of you.

I dunno, what did he say?

"Thank your Genji for not helping you" or something?

So i played a tiny bit with him today (remember I said I hate him)... yo landing those hooks is fun :eek:

I dunno, what did he say?

"Thank your Genji for not helping you" or something?

Something like that, he was a level 20 genji. Who still thinks the correct play is jumping into 6 people/

R0ckman

I think I mentioned this but everytime I play pub and we only have one tank and they go roadhog, the player is terrible with them. I remember on the 2nd point of the Russia level me as Pharah and the hog were outside the base, hog runs in, whiffs hook and dies within 5 seconds.

Complistic

Headshots followed by a melee will insta kill a lot of things. It's not the easiest thing to pull off.

Sorral

First match of the night, two Hanzos, no tank, and no support. lol man

I never really thought about it, but I suppose Zenyatta doesn't really need pants.

In Route 66, there is a poster with an Omnic on it that says 'no shirt, no shoes, all welcome!' or something

UCBooties

I meant more along the lines like mythical creatures and stuff since the person was asking about monster girl characters.

Yeah, I think that could fall under the same umbrella of what I was talking about. Like I said, I don't see it happening soon, but Blizzard could take the lore/world in almost any direction down the line.

Zomba13

So I just got the Reaper "Die die die" achievement (4 kills with a single use of death blossom) for killing a single Lucio and barely scraping a full health Soldier (who didn't die). I had triple killed earlier in the round with Death Blossom but didn't get 4 kills with it.

Not complaining, just found it weird, unless it tracks all kills with Death Blossom that round and pops the cheevo for that (you know 3+1=4).

Xeteh

Aim for the chest, its just safer. Follow with a melee. Anything less than 200 HP is dead for sure if you land your shot, 250 is trickier.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Am I crazy to think competitive will improve solo/duo queue? Right now it's just horrific, you always seem to get put with and against 5/4 man stacks and it usually comes down to whether or not you have the good stack which is frustrating. My hope is once you get to a high enough rank you'll always get put with and against people roughly of your own level, it just feels like the hidden MMR is way off in Quick Play.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Seagull's worry that McCree being nerfed too hard will make everyone start getting good at Genji is a worry of mine too. I don't want a ton of Seagull-lites running around and I definitely don't want games with double Genji.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Seagull's worry that McCree being nerfed too hard will make everyone start getting good at Genji is a worry of mine too. I don't want a ton of Seagull-lites running around and I definitely don't want games with double Genji.

Does Seagull feel McCree was over nerfed? I've been playing him a lot today and he feels really balanced to me, he's my most played hero so I don't want him gimp but I really don't feel like he is.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

But would how would the nerfs for mccree right now effect his effectiveness against flankers like genji and tracer?

The only thing I don't like about genji is animation cancel on it being quite strong. Blizzard said they are keeping an eye on it. And for good reason too, because like widow's animation cancel it's all positive and no trade off.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Does Seagull feel McCree was over nerfed? I've been playing him a lot today and he feels really balanced to me, he's my most played hero so I don't want him gimp but I really don't feel like he is.

It's inconclusive for him at this time but he's definitely expressed his worry about it and the minute he said it I was thinking 'oh no...no no no that can't happen. Double McCree was annoying enough'.

But would how would the nerfs for mccree right now effect his effectiveness against flankers like genji and tracer?

I think it has more to do with his overall effectiveness. Even the video posted earlier in this thread shows that semi-squishy characters are living through his fan.

The only thing I don't like about genji is animation cancel on it being quite strong. Blizzard said they are keeping an eye on it. And for good reason too, because like widow's animation cancel it's all positive and no trade off.

I'm thinking(and hoping) that Reaper's animation cancel of his reload gets fixed more than Genji's cancels. That reaper one shaves full seconds.

Having a bunch of people think they're the next Seagull and using Genji just means more kills on Genji for the rest of us lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I survived the mcree combo as Reaper multiple times today

It felt nice

Zemm

I'm sure this game will be similar to the HS meta, atleast in non-tournament play. A hero/deck becomes really strong and overplayed (Genji in this scenario) so the meta adapts and we see counters (McCree is still a strong counter to flanking characters like Genji and Tracer), then when Genji is gone people start playing the next class and the cycle repeats.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Having a bunch of people think they're the next Seagull and using Genji just means more kills on Genji for the rest of us lol

This is true, until they get good. Then there won't be any more laughs.

I'm thinking(and hoping) that Reaper's animation cancel of his reload gets fixed more than Genji's cancels. That reaper one shaves full seconds.

According to devs the animation cancel only pauses the reload. I haven't seen anyone debunk or prove it yet though. http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745186024?page=5#post-86

Does Quick Melee currently make reload times quicker by canceling the reload animation? I've seen Reaper players do it, but I can't say for sure if it actually is quicker, or just an illusion.

No, it does not help you. Reloading and recovery times are both paused when you start quick melee and then resumed when you finish quick melee. This allows you do get some quick damage in if you need it without being able to abuse it.

I put down some time to learn tracer since time manipulation is a really cool ability to me. She's soooooooooooooooo fun. I've been missing out!

Easily the most unique character compared to other comp MP FPS games imo.

Kyzon

I put down some time to learn tracer since time manipulation is a really cool ability to me. She's soooooooooooooooo fun. I've been missing out!

I'm sure this game will be similar to the HS meta, atleast in non-tournament play. A hero/deck becomes really strong and overplayed (Genji in this scenario) so the meta adapts and we see counters (McCree is still a strong counter to flanking characters like Genji and Tracer), then when Genji is gone people start playing the next class and the cycle repeats.

That is much more likely to happen in ranked. Soon quick play will be the mode people regard as essentially a training/warming/casual queue. It happened really fast once ranked hit in CBT.

Sorral

So if someone likes to play a certain hero, they must be wanting to be the next Seagull? The full picture for Seagull is that he runs with a full team most of the time. I won't say he is not so skilled though. Of course, he is.

As for any double Genji games, a good Winston ruins their day. I have had enemy teams stick to double Genjis on attack and end up losing after I swapped to Winston. Granted not many in pubs do counters well, but the option is there. It is not exactly comparable to McCree melting all tanks pre-nerf.

I already get tons of double Genjis on consoles. Playing with two right now...

Ertai

Facing Hanzo as Tracer is the most annoying thing ever.

I see him, start shooting him and he turns to me and oneshots me. Every single time.
I blink around, jump around but it doesn't seem to be helping at all. He always stays back and just spams arrows.

So in short, if anyone has any tips they'd be appreciated. Console version btw.

Gorillaz

I never realized that the payload on kings row was pretty much you delivering an emp bomb to fuck everything else

no wonder the music on attack sounds sinister as fuck at the character selection

As a solo player, I'm also tired of queuing into games with a team of 5 who all want to play the same hero. This happens surprisingly often, like, at least twice a session.

DrArchon

Jesus Christ matchmaking hates me tonight. I've been doing nothing but losing games and getting paired with people that just love locking in Snipers when a) we're attacking on a payload map, and b) someone already picked a sniper.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
As a solo player, I'm also tired of queuing into games with a team of 5 who all want to play the same hero. This happens surprisingly often, like, at least twice a session.

Had this happen a few times as well, I just leave.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
So if someone likes to play a certain hero, they must be wanting to be the next Seagull? The full picture for Seagull is that he runs with a full team most of the time. I won't say he is not so skilled though. Of course, he is.

As for any double Genji games, a good Winston ruins their day. I have has enemy teams stick to double Genjis on attack and end up losing after I swapped to Winston. Granted not many in pubs do counters well, but the option is there. It is not exactly comparable to McCree melting all tanks pre-nerf.

By 'Seagull-lites' I meant 'more skilled genjis in play', not Seagull followers. Also I'm talking mainly in terms of PC gameplay. I can see console players struggling with Genji over Winston because Winston's lightning beam doesn't take much to aim in the general direction of someone and shoot.

Biltmore

Banned

As for any double Genji games, a good Winston ruins their day. I have has enemy teams stick to double Genjis on attack and end up losing after I swapped to Winston. Granted not many in pubs do counters well, but the option is there. It is not exactly comparable to McCree melting all tanks pre-nerf.

I love seeing double Genji as Winston. It's like easy mode. There aren't enough people who will ever get good enough with him, and be playing with another really good Genji, to make it an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom